Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 01-14-2009, 05:32 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im hoping for a wide receiver even though the Jets probably have bigger needs at inside linebacker and safety. I just wasn't very impressed Coles and Cotchery this past year and think Favre or whoever the Jets QB is would do better if there was a receiver who could stretch the field.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:50 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Definitely less of a chance of getting a quarterback with Bradford staying. I wonder if this means we're going to see what we've got, make a move up for a guy, try and grab a potential guy in a later round, or try to acquire a guy via trade. It'll be interesting to follow, especially depending on who ends up coaching.

LaFell intrigues me, though I agree with Crickett I'd like a wideout who stretches the field despite bigger needs at ILB and FS. We may be in a good position to grab one as well, but obviously a lot still has to happen between now and the draft. I also really hope Brandon Spikes declares just in case because I think he'd be a monster behind Jenkins and next to Harris.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:13 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I really had my choice, we'd either get Maualuga, Spikes, or a WR. And they aren't exactly burners, but Nicks and Lafell can stretch the field, something similar to Boldin and Ward. I know, not exactly sexy names for field stretchers, but they can get the job done. If we got a true burner type, I really only would like Maclin.

I think we'll get what we want this year though. We seem to be a little better at selecting guys in the second half of the first.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:22 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK_Sx...eature=related

This guy might do nicely as our token stud 4th rounder. Maybe Lowery can put in a good word for him.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:26 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

nyjets5125 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

recently ive decided that my top choice for the draft is sanchez, and with bradford rerturning it looks very unlikely that him or stafford will fall down to us, but i wouldnt mind trading up for one of them, especially sanchez...i would like maclin cuz we need some gamebreakers other than leon who can only do so much...really pissed mays is going back befcause him and sanchez were my top 2...i would like spikes or mauluga for us...if malcolm jenkins falls we almost need to take him unless one of those 2 qbs is there, but i would also like vontae davis there...what you guys think well do about RB? personally i would like to wait till next year to draft one and get one relatively early based on jones performance this year cuz hes 30 now and that seems to be the age for RBs to start declining, but i wouldnt mind brining in someone later on but only once we fill all of our needs
Old 01-14-2009, 07:37 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjets5125 View Post
recently ive decided that my top choice for the draft is sanchez, and with bradford rerturning it looks very unlikely that him or stafford will fall down to us, but i wouldnt mind trading up for one of them, especially sanchez...i would like maclin cuz we need some gamebreakers other than leon who can only do so much...really pissed mays is going back befcause him and sanchez were my top 2...i would like spikes or mauluga for us...if malcolm jenkins falls we almost need to take him unless one of those 2 qbs is there, but i would also like vontae davis there...what you guys think well do about RB? personally i would like to wait till next year to draft one and get one relatively early based on jones performance this year cuz hes 30 now and that seems to be the age for RBs to start declining, but i wouldnt mind brining in someone later on but only once we fill all of our needs
After what has happened with Matt Leinart and Josh David Booty, I'm not a fan of drafting Sanchez, especially with what the Jets have at WR. I'm not upset Mays decided to return because I don't think there was any way the Jets got him without giving up the farm to trade up.

If the Jets take a middle linebacker, that would be good seeing as how Eric Barton is getting older and is a free agent. Looking at the first round, linebacker and wide receiver appear to be the two strongest positions which is perfect for the Jets who need both.

Earlier in the year, I was much more open to the Jets drafting a running back than I am now. Thomas Jones and Leon were both pro bowlers and while running back is a need due to Jones' age, other needs have supplanted it in importance. The only way I'd be happy with a running back in the first is if it was Beanie Wells.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:55 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
If I really had my choice, we'd either get Maualuga, Spikes, or a WR. And they aren't exactly burners, but Nicks and Lafell can stretch the field, something similar to Boldin and Ward. I know, not exactly sexy names for field stretchers, but they can get the job done. If we got a true burner type, I really only would like Maclin.

I think we'll get what we want this year though. We seem to be a little better at selecting guys in the second half of the first.
I like Maualuga as well but Spikes just a little bit better, again I hope he comes out because that gives us more options. If Heyward-Bey shows hands in workouts I have no major issue but I really, really prefer Maclin. I'd be a little disappointed if we passed on Maclin and not at all disappointed if we passed on DHB.

I prefer LaFell to Nicks by a little bit but still do like both. LaFell could be great for us in a run-first, possession oriented offense. Still think we'd need somebody to stretch the field, but maybe given the chance Clowney can be that guy. Or we can take a flier in a later round.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:03 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

I think we'll pick up a RB later on in the draft. I'd like a guy like Rashad Jennings. If our draft went Maualuga/Spikes, Nicks/Lafell, Gilbert, then Jennings, I'd be an awfully happy camper.

Does anyone know the status of our draft picks? Are we gaining or losing anything for sure yet? I have to assume the Saints are going to do something that's going to prevent us from getting their 2nd.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:25 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
I think we'll pick up a RB later on in the draft. I'd like a guy like Rashad Jennings. If our draft went Maualuga/Spikes, Nicks/Lafell, Gilbert, then Jennings, I'd be an awfully happy camper.

Does anyone know the status of our draft picks? Are we gaining or losing anything for sure yet? I have to assume the Saints are going to do something that's going to prevent us from getting their 2nd.
I absolutely agree with that.

Looks like we're getting New Orleans' third for Vilma and giving them our fourth back to replace their fourth from last year. They needed to extend him for us to get a second as far as I know so they can just give him a shot once free agency opens back up and only have to give us the third. Then we'll get Washington's fourth, if Favre retires we get the Green Bay seventh in 2010, and I think that just about settles it.

Last edited by derza222 : 01-14-2009 at 09:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-14-2009, 08:49 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Oh. I didn't know it'd be a third then. I just thought it'd be a 2nd or nothing. Well that's fine I guess. But why would we get Washington's 2nd again?
Old 01-14-2009, 09:16 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Oh. I didn't know it'd be a third then. I just thought it'd be a 2nd or nothing. Well that's fine I guess. But why would we get Washington's 2nd again?
Sorry, I'm an idiot and just typoed. We get their fourth for Kendall, I think it would've been a fifth in '09 but given how many snaps he played it upgraded to a fourth this year.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:12 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

yeah idk what will happen if they re-sign vilma because i'm almost positive they owe the giants a 2nd rounder this year for shockey...

o and btw, i heard spikes said hes goign back to school which is very dissapoiting cuz i think he wouldve been great and also increased the depth at LB and the chances we get a good one...same reason im pissed about bradford, even though i wouldnt want him as bad as sanchez or stafford, it makes it very unlikely one of them would slip to us

as for comparing leinart to sanchez, leinharts arm was a always a question, whereas sanchezs is a big strength

is dewayne robertson definitely nothing now?

as for QB, assuming we cant get stafford or sanchez, what would you guys think about taking someone like josh freeman or nate davis at some poitn between our 1st and 2nd round pick? i dont think i would mind that depending on whos left of course
Old 01-15-2009, 08:05 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
yeah idk what will happen if they re-sign vilma because i'm almost positive they owe the giants a 2nd rounder this year for shockey...
Their second rounder goes to us and the Giants get their 2010 first rounder.

What I'd like to know is what happens if they sign Vilma after the draft?
Old 01-15-2009, 08:20 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Their second rounder goes to us and the Giants get their 2010 first rounder.

What I'd like to know is what happens if they sign Vilma after the draft?
I'm pretty sure even if they sign him as an unrestricted free agent the day free agency starts we get the third and the Giants get the second. Unless I'm wrong we only get upgraded to a second if they extend him, and that's not going to happen because they won't want to give the Giants their first in 2010.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:45 PM    (permalink
nyjets5125
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I'm pretty sure even if they sign him as an unrestricted free agent the day free agency starts we get the third and the Giants get the second. Unless I'm wrong we only get upgraded to a second if they extend him, and that's not going to happen because they won't want to give the Giants their first in 2010.
it goes a 1st in 2010?
Old 01-18-2009, 12:13 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
it goes a 1st in 2010?
Basically, the Saints owe the Giants their second this year for Shockey and us their third for Vilma. Only if they extend Vilma, that third gets upgraded to a second, and they only have one second. So we'd get their second this year ('09) and since the Giants wouldn't get anything and would have to wait a year their pick would upgrade to a first in 2010. None of this really matters though, because if they re-sign Vilma they'll just wait till free agency starts so they don't lose their first next year. Basically from their perspective if they extend him they give up a 2010 first, and if they don't they give up a 2009 third, so it's a pretty easy call to wait till free agency starts. Not sure why Tannenbaum allowed them that loophole because they can basically have a deal in principle and then sign it once FA starts unless there's more to the trade than I know, but at this point nothing we can do.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:17 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Basically from their perspective if they extend him they give up a 2010 first, and if they don't they give up a 2009 third, so it's a pretty easy call to wait till free agency starts. Not sure why Tannenbaum allowed them that loophole because they can basically have a deal in principle and then sign it once FA starts unless there's more to the trade than I know, but at this point nothing we can do.
I suppose because its not a given that he would re-sign with the Saints if he hit free agency, making him just a one year rental. Sure, he can sign with the Saints, but he could've signed with the Saints anyway in free agency.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:06 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
I suppose because its not a given that he would re-sign with the Saints if he hit free agency, making him just a one year rental. Sure, he can sign with the Saints, but he could've signed with the Saints anyway in free agency.
True, I guess the thing is if the Saints have a deal worked out with him in principle but he doesn't sign it till free agency it's basically an extension only not for the purposes of the trade.

Now here's a question that if I could get a specific answer to it would be great. Kerry Rhodes I (and I think some other people here) have assumed is our strong safety. Only when I look at his nfl.com page and our depth chart it has him listed as a free safety. I think he was a strong safety on the Pro Bowl ballot though. So what's the deal? Is he a SS or a FS? That obviously makes a big difference when it comes to the draft because if he's a FS then a guy like William Moore makes more sense if he doesn't continue to drop like a lead balloon. Also, with Rex Ryan coming in I figure Rhodes can play a kind of Ed Reed role for the defense so I checked what Reed is listed as and their depth chart has him listed as a FS also. So some clarification would be awesome since it is relatively important as far as how we're going to address the need there.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:25 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

This draft is intresting 4 us because we can go in a few different ways but I would hope we go with either a DE, WR, or CB. I am not sold on any QBs except 4 Stafford and he will definitly be gone.

I would like any of these players in there respected positions in the 1st 2 rounds (even if we have 2 trade up 4 them).

Qb) Stafford (really think we should stick with wut we have and hope Clemens or Bret Ratliff can step up)
HB) Bennie Wells, Shonn Green (not a huge need but would be a nice option 2 give us a pounder with Washington since Jones is getting up there in age)
Wr) Crabtree, Maclin, Britt, LaFell(a fast or big WR would b nice to have and there are a few good 1s in this draft)
DE) T.Jackson(only 1 DE that makes sense here)
LB) Maualuga, Brian Cushing, James Laurinaitis, (we could use a ILB but were not in trouble at LB)
Cb) Malcolm Jenkins, Vontae Davis, Sean Smith (we need some1 opposite of Revis. Teams abused our #2 Cb all year long and i am really getting tired of it)
S) William Moore, Rashad Johnson (I thought Elam or Smith would step up but none were consistant so some1 next 2 Rhodes who could catch the ball would b nice beacuse our defense needs 2 get interceptions a little more often)
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:52 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Oh just so we know, LaFell is going back to school.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:00 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Oh just so we know, LaFell is going back to school.
Yeah I saw, I was bummed. Maybe next year if we ignore the need again...

GET LOOSE, I do think safety and ILB are bigger needs than corner and DE. A good safety can help mask some deficiencies in a #2 corner along with allowing Rhodes more freedom and we just haven't gotten good play out of the position the past few years. It's probably our worst starting position period. And inside linebacker we have Barton as an FA without much money to re-sign him and a new coach coming in so he's probably gone and I'm not comfortable with anyone else on our roster starting next to Harris.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:08 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GET LOOSE View Post
This draft is intresting 4 us because we can go in a few different ways but I would hope we go with either a DE, WR, or CB. I am not sold on any QBs except 4 Stafford and he will definitly be gone.

I would like any of these players in there respected positions in the 1st 2 rounds (even if we have 2 trade up 4 them).

Qb) Stafford (really think we should stick with wut we have and hope Clemens or Bret Ratliff can step up)
HB) Bennie Wells, Shonn Green (not a huge need but would be a nice option 2 give us a pounder with Washington since Jones is getting up there in age)
Wr) Crabtree, Maclin, Britt, LaFell(a fast or big WR would b nice to have and there are a few good 1s in this draft)
DE) T.Jackson(only 1 DE that makes sense here)
LB) Maualuga, Brian Cushing, James Laurinaitis, (we could use a ILB but were not in trouble at LB)
Cb) Malcolm Jenkins, Vontae Davis, Sean Smith (we need some1 opposite of Revis. Teams abused our #2 Cb all year long and i am really getting tired of it)
S) William Moore, Rashad Johnson (I thought Elam or Smith would step up but none were consistant so some1 next 2 Rhodes who could catch the ball would b nice beacuse our defense needs 2 get interceptions a little more often)
The only RB I'd be happy with in the first round is Chris Wells. I think Shonn Greene will be available much later than he should be and if the Jets can get him in the third and fourth can be that team thats drafts the starting caliber running back in the mid rounds this year I'd be happy.

I'd prefer if the Jets drafted a fast wide receiver of a tall possession receiver. Although Maclin at 6'1 or DHB at 6'3 on the Jets roster would instantly be both the tallest and fastest starting caliber WR the Jets have. Crabtree will be long gone by the time the Jets pick.

Tyson Jackson is a player I would have been happy with a few months ago, but I see DE as a much lesser need than I did a while ago.

Eric Barton being a free agent makes ILB a pressing need IMO. Elam is a free agent too.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:30 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I <3 Shonn Greene. Hope he runs like a 4.6 and slips to us in the fourth round, he's going to be very solid in the NFL.

Also agree with everything else you said.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:43 PM    (permalink
jetvilma51
Pro Bowler

jetvilma51 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GET LOOSE View Post
I think if we draft Sean Smith, we move him to Saftey. This guy could play corner but I think he fits in at saftey for us alot better.
jetvilma51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:05 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetvilma51 View Post
I think if we draft Sean Smith, we move him to Saftey. This guy could play corner but I think he fits in at saftey for us alot better.
Absolutely agreed.