Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

View Poll Results: How would you feel if we took Curry #1 overall?
Happy 4 13.33%
Pissed 10 33.33%
Wouldn't like it but wouldn't hate it 10 33.33%
Don't know 6 20.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2009, 02:04 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Unfortunately, Greg Hardy decided to return to school, so we can't get him until next year.

but I agree. I want to go Stafford #1, and then at #20 go Defense.. pick a Guard at #33, you forgot to mention Duke Robinson.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:08 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noromasionadom View Post
Parcells always says use first rounders on guys who tend to have longevity in the NFL at a "high level." Which means QB, LB, DE and OL.
...and THAT'S EXACTLY why he drafted Keyshawn Johnson and Ty Law right?

I'll laugh if you guys take Curry #1. Talk about an overrated fellah.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:08 AM    (permalink
bendert58
Rookie

bendert58 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If you take Stafford #1 and then are sitting at 20 and both Laurinaitis and Oher are on the board who do you take?
bendert58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:10 AM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not to troll, but I saw the thread topic on the front of the forum and wanted to add some input here.

You guys will be sorry if you take Aaron Curry #1 Overall. Mark my words. The guy is not #1, he's not Top 5, maybe not even Top 10. I am completely baffled as to the hype this guy is getting and it is beyond ridiculous that a thread like this would even be started. Patrick Willis was not even a Top 5 player in his draft class, he was selected #11 overall. And I can assure you, Curry is not even CLOSE to the prospect Willis was.

You're team is in the middle of a serious rebuilding process and drafting an OLB with the #1 pick is not the way to start. The only positions you should be targeting are Quarterback and Offensive Line. Stafford, Sanchez, Oher, Smith, Monroe... whoever!

The golden rule is unless you are sure you have a Franchise QB, you don't pass on the opportunity to draft one. So if you think Stanton or Orlovsky is the guy, then the next best thing would be to solidify the trenches, because that is where games are won and lost.

And maybe those QB's or Lineman don't work out. As we all know, the draft is not an exact science, but if you fail building that way, at least you know you were building the right way.

Just my two pennies. :)

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:33 AM    (permalink
5 Fingers of Death
Rookie

5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendert58 View Post
If you take Stafford #1 and then are sitting at 20 and both Laurinaitis and Oher are on the board who do you take?
I like both actually. I don't see Oher dropping to #20 though. If it was between
Brandon Spikes
James Laurinaitis
and Perry Jerry

I would take the trench guy, Jerry. I love Spikes. He's a very good player. But he looks like he just came out of prison. He's one mean looking guy.
5 Fingers of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:48 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999 View Post
Since we now have a defensive guru as our HC, there is a chance we may want to go for a defender #1 overall. Curry is the only defender that is worthy of that pick. He can play anywhere in any scheme we may play. Everyone wants us to go D.

Imagine if we took Curry #1 overall and a guy like Raji fell to #20. Our defense would be completely changed and something that Schwartz would be able to work with. We'd have something like......

Avril - Redding - Raji - Smith/IAF
Dizon - Curry - Sims

Very young, good defense with a ton of potential. And that isn't including any others we may add through the rest of the draft/FA. We could use the rest of the draft to address the OL/rest of the D.

What is your opinion?
It would be a disaster for the Lions. We still will play a Cover 2 defense with Schwartz as our HC and a Cover 2 team starts with a pass rush. LB's are secondary positions in a Cover 2 defense. The DL you posted has zero ability to rush the passer as we saw this season and that means every QB we play against would utterly pick our zone defense apart without a feocious pass rush. As we witnessed this year, without that kind of a pass rush, the Cover 2 defense cannot work.
Curry is a luxury pick we simply cannot afford and Cover 2 teams don't waste 1st round picks on a DT who is a run stuffer, they look first and foremost for DT's who can rush the passer, then DE's who can rush the passer. Top sack artists are an absolute must for a Cover 2 team.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:54 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
Not to troll, but I saw the thread topic on the front of the forum and wanted to add some input here.

You guys will be sorry if you take Aaron Curry #1 Overall. Mark my words. The guy is not #1, he's not Top 5, maybe not even Top 10. I am completely baffled as to the hype this guy is getting and it is beyond ridiculous that a thread like this would even be started. Patrick Willis was not even a Top 5 player in his draft class, he was selected #11 overall. And I can assure you, Curry is not even CLOSE to the prospect Willis was.

You're team is in the middle of a serious rebuilding process and drafting an OLB with the #1 pick is not the way to start. The only positions you should be targeting are Quarterback and Offensive Line. Stafford, Sanchez, Oher, Smith, Monroe... whoever!

The golden rule is unless you are sure you have a Franchise QB, you don't pass on the opportunity to draft one. So if you think Stanton or Orlovsky is the guy, then the next best thing would be to solidify the trenches, because that is where games are won and lost.

And maybe those QB's or Lineman don't work out. As we all know, the draft is not an exact science, but if you fail building that way, at least you know you were building the right way.

Just my two pennies. :)
I agree completely with the golden rule and about drafting a QB at #1 overall but I completely disagree with your assessment of Curry. While I wouldn't draft him at #1 overall, he is a sure fire top 5 talent with practically no weaknesses to his game. He can do it all as an OLB and many teams will look at him in the top 5. He is the exact opposite of hype, his ranking is based on talent with hype playing only a little part.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:34 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The last LB to be drafted #1 overall was 21 years ago, Aundray Bruce.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:32 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It'd be a totally unremarkable pick. A great linebacker won't do nearly as much for this team as a great QB or OT.

I don't think they'll go this route thankfully.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:34 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
The last LB to be drafted #1 overall was 21 years ago, Aundray Bruce.
He is in Canton...delivering General Tso's chicken
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:52 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Is there a particular reason Smith or IAF would start over the only consistent D-Lineman the Lions had last year? And I just can't live with the Lions paying a linebacker THAT much money.
Sorry I just forgot, haha.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:20 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good spark for discussion though, wingboy.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:20 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Not sure Oher can play LT, i would go with Laurinaitis.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:06 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hearing from Titans fans about the relative unimportance of MLB, we shouldn't pick him. I was thinking more from the stand point he is probably the only defensive player justifiably worth the #1 pick.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-17-2009, 05:41 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

I guess the fact that everyone seems to think MLB is so unimportant in our possible new D that we may not take one until much later if at all.

Am I correct Titans fans?

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-17-2009, 05:48 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I guess the fact that everyone seems to think MLB is so unimportant in our possible new D that we may not take one until much later if at all.

Am I correct Titans fans?
Well out of the two MLB's on the Titans roster we have Tulloch (4th rounder) and Ryan Fowler (traded 7th rounder for I believe). Before that we had Peter Sirmon and Rocky Calmus. Both of those guys were mid-to-late round guys. Before them we had Randall Godfrey who we signed as a FA. I wouldn't put too much stock into drafting a MLB high if I was a Detroit fan.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:54 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aaron Curry is severely overrated by drafniks and he's not a top 5 prospect.

I don't know where all the hype for him came about, but he's not even close to being an elite linebacker.

Watch the tape and you'll figure it out.

He's a first round linebacker, but he can't play in any scheme.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:44 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
Aaron Curry is severely overrated by drafniks and he's not a top 5 prospect.

I don't know where all the hype for him came about, but he's not even close to being an elite linebacker.

Watch the tape and you'll figure it out.

He's a first round linebacker, but he can't play in any scheme.
I think he'll be fine in a 4-3 but i agree he's overrated. Will be interested to see his numbers at the combine. If he's 6-3 and 240 and runs a 4.5 he gets my attention. Will predict he'll come up a little short of those numbers.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:58 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
WTF.... where'd my damn poll go?

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:00 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd be pissed yeah there is no garentee that there will be a top 3 ILB there in round 2 but I know there won't be a top OT or QB in round 2.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 01-18-2009, 02:44 AM    (permalink
aNYtitan
All-Pro

aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.aNYtitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After that Bobby Layne comment does anyone really think that he will not take a QB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Show me your Wang, if you will.
aNYtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:50 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I'll assume that BJ Raji is gone otherwise it doesn't matter who is there. I'd call Philly looking for a trade down first. If not I'd take Oher James L has the ability to fall to the 2nd round Oher doesn't

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Old 01-18-2009, 10:36 AM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth223 View Post
I'll assume that BJ Raji is gone otherwise it doesn't matter who is there. I'd call Philly looking for a trade down first. If not I'd take Oher James L has the ability to fall to the 2nd round Oher doesn't
What could they possibly give us to make it worth it for the #1?

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-18-2009, 11:14 AM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
What could they possibly give us to make it worth it for the #1?
What? I think they are talking about #20
Old 01-18-2009, 11:16 AM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnick View Post
What? I think they are talking about #20
Ohhhhhh ok. Nevermind then.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08