Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 01-18-2009, 05:50 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKevin View Post
I didn't see most of the "good" movies this year so my top 10 list of movies I saw would be laughed at.
Don't worry, there really are only a few movies that are a must see. Movie quality has come down over the years imo. Half the stuff that comes out now is just trash.

Sig by Hitman D.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrk View Post
Don't worry, there really are only a few movies that are a must see. Movie quality has come down over the years imo. Half the stuff that comes out now is just trash.
I watch most of the trash. Baby Mama was one of my favorite movies I saw this year
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jaiho!

Jaiho!

Video Games - Anime - Comics - Cosplay - etc

A site dedicated to giving support and exposure to female
geeks and gamers, while also providing a community for
people of all genders to hang out and discuss their
favorite nerd past-times without needing to worry about or
deal with the prejudice and mistreatment that's so common online.

comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:52 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What's up with Jouaquin Pheonix trying to be a rapper now? I knew he was going into a music career, but not rap. Career fail anyone?
Old 01-18-2009, 05:52 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I watched the Truman Show last night, great movie. I remember watching that movie when I was like 7 and being scared that the same thing was happening to me.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:53 PM    (permalink
HChu
All-Pro

HChu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HChu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HChu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HChu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HChu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HChu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HChu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HChu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HChu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HChu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HChu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (will henceforth be referred to simply as Button) is just simply astounding. In the 166 minute run time, it takes you through the fascinating life of an odd man. Surely if you are reading this I don't need to tell you the plot, so I'll omit that. Brad Pitt gives one of if not the best performance of his life as the titular character. The role itself is already an odd one for any actor who's skilled at his craft, but Pitt nails it. He takes you on this roller coaster of a life that Button has, and because the movie is told from the perspective of his personal journal he does not exclude any detail. If he doesn't even get a nomination (which some Oscar critics are predicting) it will be a damn travesty. Cate Blanchett undoubtedly gives the best performance of her life, portraying Daisy. She is in this roller coaster of a life all the way through, as she is the love interest of Button. And we see her at a variety of aging, and all the way through she as well just shows her wide range of emotion and acting finesse if you will. She, on the other hand should take Best Actress easily. One of the best roles (and my favorite) in the film is that of Queenie, Benjamin's de facto mother. Played by Taraji P. Henson, she gives a magnificent performance, though her character on the surface seems like the typical sassy black woman, her character has so much depth whether it's her desperation for a child that leads her to take in Benjamin in the first place (due to her having apparent issues in conceiving). She absolutely deserves a nomination as Best Supporting Actress. And now to what really makes the movie, one of my favorite directors working in Hollywood today, David Fincher. To say this movie is gorgeous deserves a kidney punch, the visuals in this movie is breathtaking for lack of a better word. The CGI never feels too unnatural, and a lot of CGI is needed for the "earlier" years of Button. The cinematography is unreal in this movie, the places they found perfectly fit the era. The score seamlessly transitions you from scene to scene. The editing is beautiful, and the makeup for the movie is truly astounding. The movie itself just pulls at every heart string you have, and pulls some you didn't even know a movie could elicit from you. I have a few beefs with it (such as the reintroduction of Benjamin's father into the grand scheme of his life), it's still a great movie.

Score: 9.6/10

BoneKrusher
HChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:53 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
I watched the Truman Show last night, great movie. I remember watching that movie when I was like 7 and being scared that the same thing was happening to me.
I have been wanting to watch that movie again for a while. I saw that it came on tv the other day but it was at the end when I noticed.

Sig by Hitman D.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:54 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
2nd best movie ever it is.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:00 PM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
You mean someone actually laughed while watching Tropical thunder? I thought that was movie was terrible.
I thoroughly enjoyed Tropical THunder. From McConaughey and Cruise just being epic in their limited scenes to RDJ and Ben Stiller. The Heroine ring guys were great and even Jack black had some great moments although I'll agree he was easily the most disappointing part of the film. Oh and Steve Coogan = epic win.

And Speed Racer was great. I loved that movie so much. Largely because the colors made for some great visuals but I thought it was hilarious and good family flick with backdrop of awesomely ridiculous racing.
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:01 PM    (permalink
HChu
All-Pro

HChu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HChu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HChu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HChu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HChu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HChu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HChu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HChu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HChu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HChu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HChu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wall-E

Just a masterpiece of a film, it's a damn shame that it isn't getting serious award nominations. A beautiful movie that just takes you on a journey of a very simple character, Wall-E. Simple in nature, Wall-E strives to find out more about this desolate world. I really didn't care about the political message it was trying to send, just enjoy it for what it is, a touching, heart-felt movie that just grabs you from the opening shot.

Score: 9.7/10

BoneKrusher
Old 01-18-2009, 06:02 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You mean someone actually laughed while watching Tropical thunder? I thought that was movie was terrible.
Besides Cinemtagoraphy and Directing, I think Tropic Thunder was a better made film than Benjamin Button.

And to HChu, it is a damn shame that Wall-E will win the oscar for Best Animated Film along with past winners Happy Feet and Shrek...

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:03 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlepower View Post
Besides Cinemtagoraphy and Directing, I think Tropic Thunder was a better made film than Benjamin Button.
:O

I highly, highly disagree!

And I liked Tropic Thunder.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:06 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comahan View Post
:O

I highly, highly disagree!

And I liked Tropic Thunder.
Bottomline, the thing that bugged me the most about Benjamin Button is that I could not get emotionally connected to anyone in the film (except Taraji P. Henson who was amazing in the film). I felt more like I was watching a narration of his life rather than a being told a story.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Old 01-18-2009, 06:08 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Bottomline, the thing that bugged me the most about Benjamin Button is that I could not get emotionally connected to anyone in the film (except Taraji P. Henson who was amazing in the film). I felt more like I was watching a narration of his life rather than a being told a story.
That's what I'm afraid of and is why I don't really want to see it until it comes out on dvd.

Does anyone know when Scorsese's next movie is coming out? Best director of all time! Did anyone catch his documentary about The Rolling Stones called Shine A Light? I have been trying to find it to rent but I haven't had any luck. I might have to go to the ole world wide web on this one.

Sig by Hitman D.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:09 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

Quote:
That's what I'm afraid of and is why I don't really want to see it until it comes out on dvd.

Does anyone know when Scorsese's next movie is coming out? Best director of all time! Did anyone catch his documentary about The Rolling Stones called Shine A Light? I have been trying to find it to rent but I haven't had any luck. I might have to go to the ole world wide web on this one.
Shutter Island comes out Oct 2.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:10 PM    (permalink
HChu
All-Pro

The Wrestler

And there we have it folks, the number one movie of the year. This was a tough choice, ideally I would have had a 1a, 1b, and 1c, but that would've gotten me verbally abused so I had to give it to The Wrestler. What led me to this was the subject matter, I was and to an extent still am a big wrestling fan. This movie really shows my vision of what I think wrestling is actually about. What more needs to be said about Mickey Rourke as Randy "The Ram" Robinson? It's the best performance of the year (arguably of all time) and the best character of the year. Marissa Tomei plays a great compliment to the aging wrestler, as an aging stripper. Evan Rachel Wood though her time in the movie is brief, gives a heartwarming performance as the uncared for daughter of The Ram. All around this movie is nearly perfect in every way, it tugs at all the heart strings and as soon as the final scene cut to black I was in tears.

Score: 9.9/10

Thank you for reading my top 10 of 2008.

BoneKrusher
Old 01-18-2009, 06:14 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

Excellent movie indeed. Good list sir.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:15 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

And to HChu, it is a damn shame that Wall-E will win the oscar for Best Animated Film along with past winners Happy Feet and Shrek...
So Tropic Thunder had superior acting and a better story?
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:16 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HChu View Post
1.The Wrestler

And there we have it folks, the number one movie of the year. This was a tough choice, ideally I would have had a 1a, 1b, and 1c, but that would've gotten me verbally abused so I had to give it to The Wrestler. What led me to this was the subject matter, I was and to an extent still am a big wrestling fan. This movie really shows my vision of what I think wrestling is actually about. What more needs to be said about Mickey Rourke as Randy "The Ram" Robinson? It's the best performance of the year (arguably of all time) and the best character of the year. Marissa Tomei plays a great compliment to the aging wrestler, as an aging stripper. Evan Rachel Wood though her time in the movie is brief, gives a heartwarming performance as the uncared for daughter of The Ram. All around this movie is nearly perfect in every way, it tugs at all the heart strings and as soon as the final scene cut to black I was in tears.

Score: 9.9/10

Thank you for reading my top 10 of 2008.
I haven't heard of this movie other than from people here and I figured I'd go see it but it wasn't being shown in any movie theaters around me. Did it have a limited release or am I just unlucky?

Sig by Hitman D.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:17 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
So Tropic Thunder had superior acting and a better story?
I honestly believe it did. It really is tough to judge acting in a comedy versus acting in a dramatic work like Button, but I would say that Robert Downey Jr. did a better acting job in Tropic Thunder than anyone in Benjamin Button. I'll even add that the role of Tom Cruise was better than everyone, but Taraji P. Henson.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Old 01-18-2009, 06:18 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The wrestler wasn't my kind of movie....So it's definately not my number one...but I have no doubt that Mickey Rourke deserves best actor for this role. The movie just missed on a few things for me. He tries to connect with his daughter....does and then doesn't show them together again...although atleast a week passed by? The meat cutter....that was intentional right? Just wasn't a complete movie for me....I enjoyed the story but was underwelmed...with how it progressed....acting is the only reason I see we are talking about this movie.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:23 PM    (permalink
HChu
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
The wrestler wasn't my kind of movie....So it's definately not my number one...but I have no doubt that Mickey Rourke deserves best actor for this role. The movie just missed on a few things for me. He tries to connect with his daughter....does and then doesn't show them together again...although atleast a week passed by? The meat cutter....that was intentional right? Just wasn't a complete movie for me....I enjoyed the story but was underwelmed...with how it progressed....acting is the only reason I see we are talking about this movie.
Yeah, the meatcutter was intentional.

BoneKrusher
Old 01-18-2009, 06:25 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HChu View Post
Yeah, the meatcutter was intentional.
That was my one question...the stream I watched kinda made it hard to tell. At first I'm like...ok he wants the workers comp...but then he just told him to screw off and left....so then I figured maybe it ran threw his mind that if he didn't hurt himself he'd wake up and go back the next day. Which I think is probably the case....It just didn't relate to me...I've been walk out mad on a job before...but I wouldn't harm myself to quit...I would spit in the egg salad or something.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:26 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Connects with her, and then they agree to have dinner. But he messes that up when he goes to a bar after a show and hooks up with a ringrat, and forgets to go to dinner with his daughter.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:27 PM    (permalink
HChu
All-Pro

Quote:
That was my one question...the stream I watched kinda made it hard to tell. At first I'm like...ok he wants the workers comp...but then he just told him to screw off and left....so then I figured maybe it ran threw his mind that if he didn't hurt himself he'd wake up and go back the next day. Which I think is probably the case....It just didn't relate to me...I've been walk out mad on a job before...but I wouldn't harm myself to quit...I would spit in the egg salad or something.
It was just to show how he had nothing good left going on in his life.

BoneKrusher