Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 01-22-2009, 07:12 AM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oscar Nominations in less than 20 mins. Here are my predictions from a few pages back. Anything that gets a nod thats not at least on the OTHER POSSIBILITY list would be a shock to me, I like being shocked :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by comahan View Post
OSCAR NOMINATION PREDICTIONS

Nominations will be announced Thursday morning, here are my predictions as to what gets nominated in the major categories;

Note: These are not personal preferences, simply what I think will happen.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

- Dustin Lance Black for "Milk"
- Woody Allen for "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"
- Jenny Lumet for "Rachel Getting Married"
- Tom McCarthy for "The Visitor"
- Joel & Ethan Coen for "Burn After Reading"

OTHER POSSIBILITIES: Andrew Stanton for "WALL·E
" Robert Siegel for "The Wrestler", Mike Leigh for "Happy-Go-Lucky", and Martin McDonaugh for "In Bruges"

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

-
Simon Beaufoy for "Slumdog Millionaire"
- Peter Morgan for "Frost/Nixon"
- Eric Roth for "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
- John Patrick Shanley for "Doubt"
- Chris & Jonathan Nolan for "The Dark Knight"

OTHER POSSIBILITIES: David Hare for "The Reader", Justin Haythe for "Revolutionary Road"

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
- Penelope Cruz for "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"
- Viola Davis for "Doubt"
- Kate Winslet for "The Reader"
- Marisa Tomei for "The Wrestler"
- Taraji P Henson for "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"

OTHER POSSIBILITIES: Amy Adams for "Doubt", Rosemarie Dewitt for "Rachel Getting Married", Freida Pinto for "Slumdog Millionaire"

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

- Heath Ledger for "The Dark Knight"
- Philip Seymour Hoffman for "Doubt"
- Josh Brolin for "Milk"
- Robert Downey Jr for "Tropic Thunder"
- Dev Patel for "Slumdog Millionaire"

OTHER POSSIBILITIES: Michael Shannon for "Revolutionary Road", James Franco for "Milk", Ralph Fiennes for "The Duchess", Eddie Marsan for "Happy-Go-Lucky"

BEST DIRECTOR

- Danny Boyle for "Slumdog Millionaire"
- David Fincher for "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
- Chris Nolan for "The Dark Knight"
- Gus Van Sant for "Milk"
- Ron Howard for "Frost/Nixon"

OTHER POSSIBILITIES: Darren Aronofsky for "The Wrestler", Andrew Stanton for "WALL·E", Stephen Daldry for "The Reader", Jonathan Demme for "Rachel Getting Married"

BEST ACTRESS

- Anne Hathaway for "Rachel Getting Married"
- Meryl Streep for "Doubt"
- Kate Winslet for "Revolutionary Road"
- Angelina Jolie for "Changeling"
- Melissa Leo for "Frozen River"

OTHER
POSSIBILITIES: Sally Hawkins for "Happy-Go-Lucky", Cate Blanchett for "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", Kristin Scott Thomas for "I've Loved You So Long"

BEST ACTOR

- Sean Penn for "Milk"
- Mickey Rourke for "The Wrestler"
- Frank Langella for "Frost/Nixon"
- Richard Jenkins for "The Visitor"
- Brad Pitt for "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"

OTHER POSSIBILITIES: Clint Eastwood for "Gran Torino", Leonardo DiCaprio for Revolutionary Road"

BEST PICTURE
- "Slumdog Millionaire"
- "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
- "Frost/Nixon"
- "The Dark Knight"
- "Milk"

OTHER POSSIBILITIES: "WALL·E", "The Reader", "Doubt", "Revolutionary Road", "The Wrestler"

comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:43 AM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Academy are the ONLY people who liked The Reader.

Dark Knight gets snubbed. Wow. Best Picture AND Director.

IN BRUGES NOMINATED FOR ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY! YES!

Old 01-22-2009, 07:46 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Reader love is sickening. That Daldry got nominated over Aronofsky and Nolan and the same with Best Picture is a joke.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:49 AM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

I havent seen Reader, but from ALL indications, it wasnt that great at all.

I guess its 100% true.

Do a movie about the Holocaust... OSCAR!

Old 01-22-2009, 07:51 AM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

God, I really thought TDK would get in the Best Picture category. There could be some severe backlash for this. I mean, they only got what, Ledger in Supp Actor out of the major awards? Are they assuming that the moment with Ledger winning will be good enough? I dont get it.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:55 AM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

Also should be noted the lack of Rev Road love. My personal fav female performance of the year doesnt get nominated.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:56 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
God, I really thought TDK would get in the Best Picture category. There could be some severe backlash for this. I mean, they only got what, Ledger in Supp Actor out of the major awards? Are they assuming that the moment with Ledger winning will be good enough? I dont get it.
I think that along with The Wrestler and Wall-E getting snubbed for The Reader should have everyone confused. The Reader got totally mediocre reviews and the others were the best reviewed movies of the year. I just don't get it. And since I've seen all 4, I can say that WHAT THE ****.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 01-22-2009, 08:08 AM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

Whoa, Springsteen didnt even get NOMINATED?

:|

Old 01-22-2009, 08:15 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I read somewhere that Will Smith and his son Jaden are going to be remaking "The Karate Kid".
Old 01-22-2009, 08:17 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
I read somewhere that Will Smith and his son Jaden are going to be remaking "The Karate Kid".
:(

/me sweeps HineswardJr's leg

pwned *****
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:23 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One nomination that really sticks out for me, other then the ridiculous love for The Reader, is Robert Downey Jr. for Tropic Thunder. Its very rare for the Academy to give that kind of love for a character from a comedy. Now I dont think he will win, because if they give it to anyone other then Ledger, fans will burn the ******* place down, but I just thought that was an odd nomination for the Academy. Dunno, maybe Im wrong, just how im feeling on that one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:24 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
Whoa, Springsteen didnt even get NOMINATED?

:|
I will punch a child for this.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 01-22-2009, 08:32 AM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

PREDICTION RESULTS

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

Correct - Dustin Lance Black for "Milk"
"Other Possibilities" list - Andrew Stanton for "WALL·E", Mike Leigh for "Happy-Go-Lucky", Martin McDonaugh for "In Bruges"
Missed - Courtney Hunt for "Frozen River"

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

Correct - Eric Roth for "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", John Patrick Shanley for "Doubt", Peter Morgan for "Frost/Nixon", Simon Beaufoy for "Slumdog Millionaire"
"Other Possibilities" list - David Hare for "The Reader"
Missed - None

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Correct - Penelope Cruz for "Vicky Cristina Barcelona", Viola Davis for "Doubt", Taraji P Henson for "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", Marisa Tomei for "The Wrestler"
"Other Possibilities" list - Amy Adams for "Doubt"
Missed - None

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Correct - Josh Brolin for "Milk", Robert Downey Jr for "Tropic Thunder", Philip Seymour Hoffman for "Doubt", Heath Ledger for "The Dark Knight"
"Other Possibilities" list - Michael Shannon for "Revolutionary Road"
Missed - None

BEST DIRECTOR
Correct - Danny Boyle for "Slumdog Millionaire", David Fincher for "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", Ron Howard for "Frost/Nixon", Gus Van Sant for "Milk"
"Other Possibilities" list - Stephen Daldry for "The Reader"
Missed - None

BEST ACTRESS
Correct - Anne Hathaway for "Rachel Getting Married", Angelina Jolie for "Changeling", Melissa Leo for "Frozen River", Meryl Streep for "Doubt"
"Other Possibilities" list - None
Missed - Kate Winslet for "The Reader" (Predicted the wrong Winslet Role!)

BEST ACTOR
Correct - Richard Jenkins for "The Visitor", Frank Langella for "Frost/Nixon", Sean Penn for "Milk", Brad Pitt for "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", Mickey Rourke for "The Wrestler"
"Other Possibilities" list - None
Missed - None

BEST PICTURE
Correct - "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", "Frost/Nixon", "Milk", "Slumdog Millionaire"
"Other Possibilities" list - "The Reader"
Missed - None

PREDICTED CORRECTLY - 30
ON THE OTHER POSSIBILITIES LIST - 8
COMPLETELY MISSED - 2

Old 01-22-2009, 09:15 AM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

I'm watching The Reader today. Lets see if I agree with Brodeur on its mediocrity.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:50 AM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From what I hear, the Academy got swayed from the criticism that Revolutionary Road was "Oscar Bait". What a crying shame that Kate Winslett was not nominated for Best Actress. Also, I predict Meryl Streep will undeservingly win the award. I ****ing hate the Oscars.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:54 AM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought The Reader wasn't even close to movies like Frost/Nixon, TCCOBB, TDK, etc...The Oscars are a joke.

I'm sorry but TDK had some of the best dialog I've seen in a while and it doesn't even get nominated for best adapted screenplay? I guess I can see best picture because it is based on a comic (even though it's not a comic book movie), but I thought their screenplay no doubt should have been a finalist.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:59 AM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34 View Post
I thought The Reader wasn't even close to movies like Frost/Nixon, TCCOBB, TDK, etc...The Oscars are a joke.

I'm sorry but TDK had some of the best dialog I've seen in a while and it doesn't even get nominated for best adapted screenplay? I guess I can see best picture because it is based on a comic (even though it's not a comic book movie), but I thought their screenplay no doubt should have been a finalist.
The Dark Knight didn't really have a great screenplay. The third act of the movie was pretty poorly written and the dialogue was really corny and forced at times by lesser characters. Dark Knight got snubbed, but not for adapted screenplay.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Old 01-22-2009, 09:59 AM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

Dialogue isnt all that makes a screenplay like TDK. A ton of people were bugged by a storylines in the middle of the movie.

The Gordon-Died-But-Isnt-Really-Dead-And-Catches-Joker-Only-To-Find-Out-That-Joker-Wanted-To-Be-Caught thing? Yea, a ton of people hated that.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:02 AM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Just to cheer everyone up from the sadness of the Oscar Nominees...

DRAINAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Old 01-22-2009, 10:04 AM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

There is no sadness for me sir. Snubs happen. Im excited about the nominees.

I think the only true TDK snub was Picture, although I dont think id really argue if someone would want to say Director was snubbed.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:06 AM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Quote:
There is no sadness for me sir. Snubs happen. Im excited about the nominees.

I think the only true TDK snub was Picture, although I dont think id really argue if someone would want to say Director was snubbed.
Kate Winslett for Best Actress is the biggest snub for me.

My two most pleasant surprises: Michael Shannon nod and WALL-E for Original Screenplay. I would like to see both of them win.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Old 01-22-2009, 10:11 AM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlepower View Post
Kate Winslett for Best Actress is the biggest snub for me.

My two most pleasant surprises: Michael Shannon nod and WALL-E for Original Screenplay. I would like to see both of them win.
Well, Winslet still got nominated for Best Actress, just not for the movie most people expected. They considered her a Lead in Reader, and the Oscars dont allow a person to be nominated in the same category twice in one year, so it wasnt possible.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:14 AM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Quote:
Well, Winslet still got nominated for Best Actress, just not for the movie most people expected. They considered her a Lead in Reader, and the Oscars dont allow a person to be nominated in the same category twice in one year, so it wasnt possible.
Wow, I really want to see The Reader now because I am wondering where all of this hype came from...

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Old 01-22-2009, 11:06 AM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh I know, I just would have liked to have seen TDK get nominated for something other than Supporting Actor. I had a gut feeling that it wouldn't get Best Picture or Best Director because of the "comic book label."

Which is why I was hoping for Screenplay. It wasn't it's more deserving one, but I thought it had the best chance to pick that one up over the others.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:35 AM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

I just watched The Reader, and I have to say that with some of the negativity I had heard going in, I was very pleasantly surprised. I thought the movie was very, very good.

Its a damn shame I wasnt able to see it before I did the Commies. Not sure itd have won anything major, but it would have been nominated.