Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 01-22-2009, 12:50 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonie61's Sig View Post
Vernon Davis i want your body
WTF???? hahahahaha

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My 49ers big board as of 1/22/09

1. QB - Matt Stafford (not going to get to us)
2. OT - Eugene Monroe (probably the player I want most in this draft)
3. OT - Michael Oher (has elite upside and can flatout dominate)
4. OT - Andre Smith (I prefer the other 2 OTs just a tad bit more)
5. OLB - Brian Orakpo (Strength, smarts, speed/quickness - he's got it all)
6. CB - Malcolm Jenkins (going to be a great CB at the next level)
7. LB - Aaron Curry (flatout stud - could be very versatile both at ILB/OLB)
8. NT - BJ Raji (I'm sold on him, fits our need perfectly, kind of hoping we take him)
9. WR - Michael Crabtree (Don't really want a 1st Rd WR, but I think he's the real deal)
10. OLB - Everett Brown (I like the speed/strength combo, just not sure I like him though)

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:55 PM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Exactly which is why I want him to remain with the team, and have him and Shaun Hill battle it out for the starting spot.
Here is an honest question. When are you fellow 49ers fans willing to call it quits with Alex Smith?

I know, I know. He has had a different OC every year, he has been injured, etc, etc...

What if the same thing happens this upcoming year?

"Well, its another new OC, give him another year."

I, honestly, am worn out with the whole situation. And I dont understand peoples fears of drafting another QB high because we got burned several years ago.

Here is another question. Who do you think will have a better pro career? Alex Smith or Mark Sanchez? I'm worried Alex Smith has been through too much, and maybe not all of it is his fault, but I dont know if he can come back from what he's been through and make it in this league now.

I am ready for a fresh start at the QB position. Cut Alex Smith. Draft Mark Sanchez and have him sit a year behind Shaun Hill. Start Mark Sanchez in 2010.
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:02 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Sanchez is a real good prospect, but the problem is that he needs MORE playing time right now, rather than sitting for a year. He's been sitting for the past couple of years and then someone will draft him and make him sit another year? It's just a real risky situation that I'd rather not be in.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:44 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromforgotten View Post
I am ready for a fresh start at the QB position. Cut Alex Smith. Draft Mark Sanchez and have him sit a year behind Shaun Hill. Start Mark Sanchez in 2010.
I would back the idea of taking a QB at 10 but aside from Stafford, I dont like any of the top prospects.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:34 PM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Um no just because one 1st round bust is on his way out doesn't mean you replace him with another one. The Niners need to build the rest of the team, see what happens with Hill and go from there. The idea of even thinking about a QB at #10 is crazy.
woodyx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:45 PM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I found this regarding free agency and the Niners written by Dan Arkush and I was wondering if anyone agreed with this?

For the third straight year, the Niners are expected to be in good position to aggressively shop the free-agent market. Has the money the team doled out for CB Nate Clements two years ago (eight years, $80 million, $22 million guaranteed) and DE Justin Smith last spring (six years, $45 million, $20 million guaranteed) been well spent? That’s an appropriate question, considering the decidedly mixed reviews both Clements and Smith received in 2008. “They overpaid for Clements,” a team insider told PFW. “He’s great in the locker room, but he has not been the shutdown Champ Bailey-type corner they envisioned. Look at the Dallas game, when he got torched by Terrell Owens. As for Smith, his role has really changed. They thought he could be a starting outside linebacker, but he just doesn’t have enough speed. He can take over games and collapse the pocket at times, but he’s not the 15-sack guy the team had hoped for.”
Old 01-22-2009, 08:36 PM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

:roll: If anyone cares the 49ers signed DB Jimmy Wiliams. Meh
Old 01-22-2009, 09:14 PM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyx02 View Post
Um no just because one 1st round bust is on his way out doesn't mean you replace him with another one. The Niners need to build the rest of the team, see what happens with Hill and go from there. The idea of even thinking about a QB at #10 is crazy.
I dont see the logic of this, but its your opinion. Here is mine...

Lets say we build the rest of the team and Shaun Hill isnt what you all think he can be. Then what happens? We draft a QB more than likely and he could take a year or two to develop anyways. Then the core of our younger players are 3 to 5 years older by this time.

Give me the younger QB of the future now, and have him ready to go in a year or two. Better than another decade of losing or hovering around .500.
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:20 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Is this the Jimmy Williams we had a few years ago or the Jimmy Williams from Va Tech.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:18 PM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

The VTech guy who was a Falcon 2nd round pick. He was out of football last year.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:21 PM    (permalink
goonie61
Rookie

goonie61 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
WTF???? hahahahaha
Yes I dream about Vernon Davis every night bench pressing me-No ****
If only he could catch a football as good as he can do curls we would be set
Old 01-22-2009, 11:24 PM    (permalink
goonie61
Rookie

goonie61 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
I found this regarding free agency and the Niners written by Dan Arkush and I was wondering if anyone agreed with this?

For the third straight year, the Niners are expected to be in good position to aggressively shop the free-agent market. Has the money the team doled out for CB Nate Clements two years ago (eight years, $80 million, $22 million guaranteed) and DE Justin Smith last spring (six years, $45 million, $20 million guaranteed) been well spent? That’s an appropriate question, considering the decidedly mixed reviews both Clements and Smith received in 2008. “They overpaid for Clements,” a team insider told PFW. “He’s great in the locker room, but he has not been the shutdown Champ Bailey-type corner they envisioned. Look at the Dallas game, when he got torched by Terrell Owens. As for Smith, his role has really changed. They thought he could be a starting outside linebacker, but he just doesn’t have enough speed. He can take over games and collapse the pocket at times, but he’s not the 15-sack guy the team had hoped for.”
All of this guaranteed money being thrown around is going to come back around and bite us in the butt and we will be in cap hell again
Old 01-22-2009, 11:25 PM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromforgotten View Post
I dont see the logic of this, but its your opinion. Here is mine...

Lets say we build the rest of the team and Shaun Hill isnt what you all think he can be. Then what happens? We draft a QB more than likely and he could take a year or two to develop anyways. Then the core of our younger players are 3 to 5 years older by this time.

Give me the younger QB of the future now, and have him ready to go in a year or two. Better than another decade of losing or hovering around .500.

Because you have to go off what you know, not play the "what if" game. Based on what you have seen, why wouldn't Shaun Hill work? I hate the "what if" Hill doesnt work argument. What if Gore slows down? Should they take Wells with the 10th pick? No because Gore has shown no signs of slowing down rushing for 1,000 yards 3 straight years. What if Nate has an off year, should they reach for Davis? Again, no because there is no evidence on the field to support Nate will have a terrible year.

You have to work with what you know. I KNOW that Jennings and Sims are not the answer at RT. I KNOW Mark Roman needs to be replaced. I KNOW Franklin is an average NT and could be upgraded. So why not fill the holes we KNOW we have and not that ones we may have.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:27 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I actually like this signing. It is exactly like the Brooks signing. Kick the tires and see if anything is there.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:28 PM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonie61 View Post
All of this guaranteed money being thrown around is going to come back around and bite us in the butt and we will be in cap hell again
I agree to a degree but if they relize this and keep Nate and Justin Smith as the only big spendings I think they will be ok. They can't go crazy like the Resskins have in the past. That is why Im not sold on getting Peppers or Gross.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:30 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonie61 View Post
No Scotty Mac has done a great job of spreading out the deals. Here is an article on Justin Smith's contract and how it is split up.
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=1042504

Plus don't we have like $20 million in cap space heading into this off-season?
Old 01-22-2009, 11:33 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Quote:

I really hope this 49ers insider has no power within the org. if he was expecting Justin Smith to have a Jared Allen type season. (shakes my head, wags my finger).

Last edited by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? : 01-22-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:43 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

This is embrassing:
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/...-bay-area.html
Old 01-22-2009, 11:47 PM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

I'm not worried. Anyone that chooses the Raiders over any team eventually regrets it. The karma police will have a field day with Linehan.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:04 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
I really hope he is smarter than that. Besides if he is pulling some stuff like that I really wouldn't want him coaching us either. I am really starting to like the former BC head coach as our OC.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:42 AM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From memory Williams is a big converted safety (6'2 220 I think), he definately had an ego and saw himself as a top 10 pick in the 2006 draft but slide to the 2nd.

Sporting news mag had him as the top CB of the draft (then 6'2 205 4.37) saying "Williams will immediately improve an team. He should remain at CB but teams may look at him at safety. He's a playmaker and QB 's will hesitate to throw his way".

In an interview with the same mag he went on to say he'd be unhappy if he wasnt a top 5 pick and said his attitude would be the biggest misconception teams would have about him. Seems he was probably right.

Funny enough Scott had us taking him with pick 22 (Manny) in his final mock. Scott rated him the 2nd CB behind Cromartie.

Personally I cant see him at CB but if he can transition to safety (he's apparently a physical tackler with good ball skills) he may have a chance. Probably cost us peanuts so no loss either way - he should be out to prove a point.

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me

Last edited by ninerfan : 01-23-2009 at 01:45 AM.
ninerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:23 AM    (permalink
FG4prez
Rookie

FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.

i really like the jimmy williams signing, i remember liking him when he came out (wrongly i guess). hopefully a change of scenery and time away from football is what he needed. he still has the tools, i think it was just the mental aspects of the game and motivation. love this signing.
as for the bc coach, his downside is hes gone if we do well. however, at this point, ill take what i can get.
FG4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:43 AM    (permalink
no love
Veteran

no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.

Love the Jimmy Williams signing, low risk/high reward signing.

I absolutely loved him as a prospect coming out in college. Big DB with good size and strength, I liked him more as a safety in college than a CB bc he had stiff hips and was could really lay the wood.

Charachter issues or not, he is coming in with better range and better ball skills than the safeties currently on our roster (if he is in shape).
no love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:21 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
If he takes a job with the Raiders, a lot of people are going to rip him.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote