Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum

Philadelphia Eagles Team Forum Discuss the Eagles.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:58 AM    (permalink
ljk2171
Rookie

ljk2171 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default What changes would you make for 2009?

What three changes would you make this offseason to best benefit the Eagles for 2009?

#1-Hire Bill Musgrave as offensive coordinator and give him 90% control of the offense. Obviosuly as head coach, Andy will have to check-off on everything. But I think Musgrave deserves another opportunity as an offensive coordinator.

#2-Bring in a TE, whether it's through the draft or free agency. I think we need an upgrade from LJ, my choice would be Jermane Gesham should he declare.

#3-Fix the offensive line. The OL has been the foundation of the Eagles under teh Andy Reid era, but they are getting older and have been a disappointment this year. I think we can get one more year out of the tackles, so I think drafting a tackle with one of our first round picks is a must and grooming him for 2010. The interior has been so-so as well. Jackson is slightly above average, Andrews really really hurt them this season, and Herremans is inconsistent during his career.
ljk2171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 06:39 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljk2171 View Post
What three changes would you make this offseason to best benefit the Eagles for 2009?

#1-Hire Bill Musgrave as offensive coordinator and give him 90% control of the offense. Obviosuly as head coach, Andy will have to check-off on everything. But I think Musgrave deserves another opportunity as an offensive coordinator.

#2-Bring in a TE, whether it's through the draft or free agency. I think we need an upgrade from LJ, my choice would be Jermane Gesham should he declare.

#3-Fix the offensive line. The OL has been the foundation of the Eagles under teh Andy Reid era, but they are getting older and have been a disappointment this year. I think we can get one more year out of the tackles, so I think drafting a tackle with one of our first round picks is a must and grooming him for 2010. The interior has been so-so as well. Jackson is slightly above average, Andrews really really hurt them this season, and Herremans is inconsistent during his career.
#1. I don't know much about Musgrave to comment on him personally, though I wouldn't object to an upgrade at Offensive Coordinator.

#2. Agreed, my numerous post on that subject should speak for themslef.

#3. Yes, OL is a big concern, but don't limit it to just OTs. I think we can get another solid year out of Runyan and Thomas, but neither are signed for next year, which is key. I don't know where Thomas stands, but right now I have a feeling he will retire. I have said it before, I think Runyan will be back for at least next year, but it isn't a certainty, which is why I say OL is a major concern for the team.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:21 PM    (permalink
DWhaLe
Rookie

DWhaLe hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The Giants won't be able to keep Brandon Jacobs and Derrick Ward so I say pick up one of them in the Offseason to hopefully fix the 3rd Down situation and our redzone problems.

Dream Mock (Eagles)
1 Knowshon Moreno RB
2 Cornelius Ingram TE
3 Darcel McBath S
5 Chris Owens CB
5 Augustus Parrish OT
(Anquan Boldin)
DWhaLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:36 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Obviously I'd prefer Jacobs, but I wouldn't count on it. The most likely scenario I see is the Eagles re-signing Bucky.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:51 AM    (permalink
Zyro_1014
Pro Bowler

Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
Obviously I'd prefer Jacobs, but I wouldn't count on it. The most likely scenario I see is the Eagles re-signing Bucky.
oh god, how scary it would be if we actually ran the ball lol.

Westbrook and Jacobs....:)
Zyro_1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:29 PM    (permalink
griff2213
Rookie

griff2213 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Get rid of Andy Reid and Donovan McNabb. Together they make the duo of worst crunch-time performers of all time. We have the worst two-minute drill offense in the entire league. McNabb always makes terrible decisions under pressure and just can't handle pressure situations, as evidenced by him throwing up in the super bowl. He is just flat out not an intelligent quarterback who gets overrated because of his athleticism. Andy Reid is an awful play caller, just awful.
griff2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:47 PM    (permalink
Zyro_1014
Pro Bowler

Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griff2213 View Post
Get rid of Andy Reid and Donovan McNabb. Together they make the duo of worst crunch-time performers of all time. We have the worst two-minute drill offense in the entire league. McNabb always makes terrible decisions under pressure and just can't handle pressure situations, as evidenced by him throwing up in the super bowl. He is just flat out not an intelligent quarterback who gets overrated because of his athleticism. Andy Reid is an awful play caller, just awful.
McNabb is our franchise QB, hes not going anywhere until we get someone better that Kevin Kolb.
Zyro_1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:16 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyro_1014 View Post
McNabb is our franchise QB, hes not going anywhere until we get someone better that Kevin Kolb.
Don't expect Reid gone too soon either, and neither should go IMO.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:46 PM    (permalink
twista6002
Veteran

twista6002 twista6002 twista6002 twista6002 twista6002

I think we're fine with MM as long as he calls the plays and not AR. But one change I'd defintely make is to bring in a new ST coach. Segrest might be the worst in football. Personel wise I think we're pretty well off except we could use a tight end. Andrews should be healthy and even if Runyan and Dawk retire/leave we have viable replacements. I think we'll keep Tra around.
twista6002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:10 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
I think we're fine with MM as long as he calls the plays and not AR. But one change I'd defintely make is to bring in a new ST coach. Segrest might be the worst in football. Personel wise I think we're pretty well off except we could use a tight end. Andrews should be healthy and even if Runyan and Dawk retire/leave we have viable replacements. I think we'll keep Tra around.
Watching Dawk and Runyan, especially since the playoff run, I think both will be back. I have heard Runyan say he'll play until he can't walk anymore. Its a slight exaggeration, but you get the idea. Dawk has shown how invested he is in this team emotionally. If we win the Superbowl though, that may change thier minds. I haven't heard much from or about Tra, so I really don't know where he stands on everything. Earlier in the season I would agree with you totally on Segrest, but if he had anything to do with spotting the Giants' Guards keeping their head down on kicks, that means he really is working his butt off, and it is paying off for the team. I wouldn't be against it if there was someone better (there probably is) but I won't be upset if he stays either. Ask Dallas fans about their ST coordinator, they will tell you horror stories.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:19 AM    (permalink
twista6002
Veteran

Yea but I don't know if the team will want Runyan back. Of all the veterans, he's the one whose play has declined the most. He's a shell of what he used to be. And I remember seeing something on Comcast that he can't walk up stairs anymore so he might not be that far from retiring. The guy I want back the most is Tra. Dawk probably is a better all round player IMO but we have a viable replacement for him whereas we might be up the creek without a paddle if we lose our best pass blocker. Overall a franchise left tackle is a lot more important than a franchise free safety. As for Segrest, I like our return game but once again we are one of the worst in the NFL at covering kicks. It cost us the first Dallas game and could have cost us last Sunday. And we've had two kicks returned for TD's as well and given up a safety. But to be honest that return against Dallas and the safety against Baltimore were Considine's fault. I have an internat instinct which tells me somehow the other ST woes are en route to him as well.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:50 PM    (permalink
Eagles own the NFC East
Veteran

Eagles own the NFC East is a cocksman.Eagles own the NFC East is a cocksman.Eagles own the NFC East is a cocksman.Eagles own the NFC East is a cocksman.Eagles own the NFC East is a cocksman.

We gotta resign Jon Runyan and Brian Dawkins. We should also add running back depth and maybe get a WR who we can rely on through out a whole season. Reggie Brown's inconsistent, Desean can't do it all himself, and Curtis gets hurt from time to time, you can never have too many play makers.

Overall was a wild season and I am not too disappointed. No one expected us to come this far. We will be back and better next year with Shawn Andrews coming back and Westbrook hopefully healthy plus Desean Jackson will have more experience.

The other teams in the NFC East are getting weaker while we are getting stronger. Giants lost Spagnualo and most likely will lose Derrick Ward with this whole Burress controversey going on and the Cowboys have their issues.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:30 AM    (permalink
Lord_Anubis
Rookie

Lord_Anubis is a cocksman.Lord_Anubis is a cocksman.Lord_Anubis is a cocksman.Lord_Anubis is a cocksman.Lord_Anubis is a cocksman.

Get Boldin or whose your mama and I say we get back to nfc title game
Lord_Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:23 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Anubis View Post
Get Boldin or whose your mama and I say we get back to nfc title game
Who cares about the NFC Title Game? **** that.

Well, word has it Reid and McNabb will be back, so that's two things we can stop talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
The Eagles' biggest needs in my opinion are...

1. OT- Runyan is probably gone. Thomas is on the downside of his career. This is basically needs #1 and #2.
2. #1 WR- We need one. End o' story. I love Baskett, Avant and Jackson, but we need that big stud guy who will be the go-to guy.
3. TE- Celek had a great game but I'm not sold yet. I'd love to have a nice field stretcher who can also block. Brandon Pettigrew would be huge. It'd help with the red-zone O.
4. Fullback- We need one. Now.
5. Depth DT- Bunkley and Patterson are awesome, and Laws will progress. But I like having four good DTs.
6. Safety- I don't know if Demps is the answer yet. Even if he is, we still need 3 good safeties. Dawkins will probably get a short-term contract which will be just enough to groom a new safety.
- I posted that in the '09 draft thread. I'd love to get Boldin, and I guess Houshmanzadeh would do. I consider him to be more of a really good #2 though. I really want Boldin though.

- I'd re-sign Joselio Hanson and Hank Baskett for sure. Tra Thomas? Maybe a 2 year deal. Nothing more. Runyan sounds like he's retiring.

- Do the Eagles go after a big-time FA? Off the top of my head, I can think of Albert Haynesworth, Nnamdi Asomugha, Julius Peppers, Houshmanzadeh, Brandon Jacobs and Karlos Dansby. Obviously, there are other good players out there, but that's off the top of my head. I definitely wouldn't mind throwing big money at Haynesworth, though that would be tying up a lot of money at the DT spot. We need more of a fourth DT, but I wouldn't complain about Big Al. Same goes with Asomugha. It would mean a lot of money at one position.

- A new OC would be nice. Preferably one that runs the ball more.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:02 PM    (permalink
ShyneQuasiOG22
Rookie

ShyneQuasiOG22 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If either Runyan or Thomas won't be back I wouldn't mind seeing the Eagles make a push for Jordan Gross. Carolina will use the franchise tag on either him or Peppers and if it isn't Gross he could step right in on the left or right side.
ShyneQuasiOG22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:53 PM    (permalink
twista6002
Veteran

It looks like Carolina is going to use its money to keep Gross instead of Peppers. And for me, I don't want Runyan back. He's declined sharply and was a major liability IMO. There are rumors we're going to move Andrews to RT and start MJG at RG. I wouldn't be too opposed but Andrews is arguably the best RG in football when healthy and with all his nicks and bruises I don't know if he can move quick enough to play tackle. I'd let Runyan walk and franchise Tra and re-sign Nick Cole, my o-line would be: Thomas-Herremans-Cole (Jackson really disappointed me this year)-MJG-Andrews

If we can draft a big time lineman, so be it. Duke Robinson is a possibility but word-of-mouth is that the staff is high on McGlynn

The 2010 line would be: Herremans-McGlynn-Cole-MJG-Andrews
Old 01-21-2009, 06:24 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
Who cares about the NFC Title Game? **** that.

Well, word has it Reid and McNabb will be back, so that's two things we can stop talking about.

- I posted that in the '09 draft thread. I'd love to get Boldin, and I guess Houshmanzadeh would do. I consider him to be more of a really good #2 though. I really want Boldin though.

- I'd re-sign Joselio Hanson and Hank Baskett for sure. Tra Thomas? Maybe a 2 year deal. Nothing more. Runyan sounds like he's retiring.

- Do the Eagles go after a big-time FA? Off the top of my head, I can think of Albert Haynesworth, Nnamdi Asomugha, Julius Peppers, Houshmanzadeh, Brandon Jacobs and Karlos Dansby. Obviously, there are other good players out there, but that's off the top of my head. I definitely wouldn't mind throwing big money at Haynesworth, though that would be tying up a lot of money at the DT spot. We need more of a fourth DT, but I wouldn't complain about Big Al. Same goes with Asomugha. It would mean a lot of money at one position.

- A new OC would be nice. Preferably one that runs the ball more.
Boldin would be sick. I would cream my pants if we somehow get Boldin.

Agreed on Joselio and Baskett, especially Joselio. He has really come on as the Nickel CB, I want him to stay.

Personally I'd love Haynesworth or Aso. But the chances of getting either are almost non-existent. I know the team values the line and secondary, but DT and CB are our strongest positions on the team, and we have great players at each position. I guess what I'm saying is I'd love them, but not really too much since it means a great player is losing a job. Mike Patterson would probably lose his job if we got Haynesworth, but that would put a first round pick at DT and a second round pick at DT not even starting. Hayneswroth would be great but that just isn't going to happen. Same with Aso. I'd rather the team spend FA money on either OL or a #1 WR.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:37 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
It looks like Carolina is going to use its money to keep Gross instead of Peppers. And for me, I don't want Runyan back. He's declined sharply and was a major liability IMO. There are rumors we're going to move Andrews to RT and start MJG at RG. I wouldn't be too opposed but Andrews is arguably the best RG in football when healthy and with all his nicks and bruises I don't know if he can move quick enough to play tackle. I'd let Runyan walk and franchise Tra and re-sign Nick Cole, my o-line would be: Thomas-Herremans-Cole (Jackson really disappointed me this year)-MJG-Andrews

If we can draft a big time lineman, so be it. Duke Robinson is a possibility but word-of-mouth is that the staff is high on McGlynn

The 2010 line would be: Herremans-McGlynn-Cole-MJG-Andrews
You and I think along the same lines when it comes to the OL. Andrews had a back injury. I don't know how serious it was but put it this way. Tra Thomas had back issues and started at LT afterwards, and is playing great, this current back injury shouldn't hamper Andrews enough that he can't play RT. I wouldn't want him at LT though, but I wouldn't want him there anyway.

Your scenario for next year's O-line is really intriguing to me, I really like it, A LOT. It just so happens I've been saying something similar to this for a while. Both MJG and Cole showed that they can start. I wasn't surprised by MJG at all, I've been a big supprter of his since he came here from Georgia, but Nick Cole surprised me a bit. One commentator says he looks like a fire hydrant out there, and that may be the case, but he played well and showed that he can start, as did MJG, thats why I'm in favor of eventually putting Andrews at RT and sliding MJG in at RG. That right side would be devastating, maybe even moreso than when Runyan and Andrews were playing at their best together. I wouldn't be heartbroken if Jackson had the starting job at C, but I think he will have to win it coming up to the season. Cole played really well while he was in there. Jackson didn't really dissapoint me this season, but Cole impressed me more in his limited time starting. Can he continue that success? Maybe, I hope so, because I'm always up for an improvement on the OL.

I'm not really the biggest fan of Herremans at LT, though I think he can do it. He showed he can do it earlier in the preseason when he held Julius Peppers in check pretty much their whole matchup. I just think he would fit better as a RT, but I'd rather have Andrews at RT than him. I don't know how the team feels about the future there, but I think they will try very hard to get a franchise LT.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:28 PM    (permalink
twista6002
Veteran

To me, Cole and Jackson are about the same at pass blocking but the difference is Cole has a quicker first step in run blocking and gets downfield better on screens. I used to be a fan of Jackson before this season too. And I am very opposed to putting Herremans at RT, he just isn't a mauler in the run game. He is a true left tackle. But I heard on a rival site that has some inside info on the Eagles that they are grooming Herremans to be their LT of the future and want to make McGlynn the future LG, but give Justice a chance. Speaking of, in my opinion Justice has the physical tools to be a good player but he's just tentative. I give him 2 years MAX to prove he is worth where we picked him. So if it were up to me, my line next year would be Thomas-Herremans-Cole-MJG-Andrews, and the same in 2010 with Herremans sliding over at McGlynn at LG. A name to remember is King Dunlap, before the 2007 season he was considered a 1st round pick. If he gets his act together he could be really good.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:37 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
To me, Cole and Jackson are about the same at pass blocking but the difference is Cole has a quicker first step in run blocking and gets downfield better on screens. I used to be a fan of Jackson before this season too. And I am very opposed to putting Herremans at RT, he just isn't a mauler in the run game. He is a true left tackle. But I heard on a rival site that has some inside info on the Eagles that they are grooming Herremans to be their LT of the future and want to make McGlynn the future LG, but give Justice a chance. Speaking of, in my opinion Justice has the physical tools to be a good player but he's just tentative. I give him 2 years MAX to prove he is worth where we picked him. So if it were up to me, my line next year would be Thomas-Herremans-Cole-MJG-Andrews, and the same in 2010 with Herremans sliding over at McGlynn at LG. A name to remember is King Dunlap, before the 2007 season he was considered a 1st round pick. If he gets his act together he could be really good.
True, thats one thing I never took into account when I was trying to figure out what happens with Herremans in the future. (His lack of anger or just not the right demeanor)

After seeing him in person, it is obvious he is meant to be a Tackle. He is much leaner than any of our interior linemen and leaner than both Runyan and Tra. At Training camp, the only Tackle I saw who was leaner is just who you mentioned, King Dunlap. I also think Dunlap could have a future as an LT. He is a giant, literally, I'll bet he is 6'10, because he stands a solid 2" above Runyan, who is 6'8. He was on IR this year, a typical Roookie route in the Eagles system, but really showed almost unlimited potential. A lot of Eagles fans forgot about him during the season. I didn't, and obviously you haven't either, props for that.

The reason Cole gets downfield more often than Jackson is because the Center is almost never required to pull or block downfield on screens, at least not as often as either Guard is. Cole does have a quicker step though, but the reason it seems like he gets downfield faster is due to the position he was playing. which is slightly more mobile than the C. He is a bit better than Jackson it seems at doing it, but nothing extreme, and if he starts at C, it won't be noticed nearly as much.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:18 PM    (permalink
twista6002
Veteran

Basically my main reason for wanting Cole to start over Jackson is his run blocking ability. And if AR feels he can get down field well, we might run more screens in which the center pulls. I can remember Hank Fraley pulling a few screens back in the day. It's in the playbook but Reid must feel how I do about Jackson's ability to get down field, hence why we haven't run many screens with Jackson pulling. Another possiblity I was contemplating is what we'd do if Thomas leaves too. If that were to happen, we'd be even more likely to draft someone but if we don't the line should be Herremans-Cole/McGlynn-Cole/Jackson-MJG-Andrews. I'd make Cole/McGlynn/Jackson a three way competition but I'd give Justice a fair shot to make a splash at LG. We have a very ambigious situation with the line, and all our discussion is likely going to be moot because chances are good we'll draft a lineman in the first. I'm all for drafting a lineman, maybe several early, because IMO line is the most important position and competition only makes guys better (Jackson was great after his dual with Fraley in TC 2006). I don't have concrete ideas yet, I just want it to be draft day already
Old 01-23-2009, 07:41 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

I ******* hate Verizon. Their internet connection breaks in and out and I had something typed up about this and the internet disapeared. I basically said that I was too young to remember Fraley as a starter in any detail and said that McGlynn is a relative unknown to us, but in the little time I saw from him in Training Camp he held his own against Bunk, Abiamiri, and Cole.