Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 01-22-2009, 10:26 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
Everybody wants a quick fix.. but in my opinion, drafting the QB sets you up better for the future. You rarely find a Franchise QB in Free Agency.. The only one I can think of is Brees to the Saints. They touch the ball on every play, blah blah blah.. It's been said a million times. Those fans don't know anything. Freaks.

I agree on a franchise QB to build around. But in all honesty I do not expect the Lions to do much next year nor should you, they are several years away. Some would say like an expansion franchise. So why not keep our eye's on the future and begin to build the foundation first by purging most of the garbage players, getting a true LT and a guard along with CB's, LB's and a NT that actually deserve an NFL pay check. Start there and get the sexy pick in 2010 ...

To me McCoy or Bradford as seniors with a solid oline and defense that gives you a shot is a better option than Stafford or Sanchez illprepared thrown in with this current roster to support him. Do not say Atlanta did it with Ryan either ... they had more talent in place and an owner who was not affraid to lead and take risks.
SINCE1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:35 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't expect to win at all for the next few years. That's why I want our QB now, so he can get his head straight, and get the feel for the game.. By the time he's ready, we should have filled more holes, and he can jump in and lead the team.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:55 AM    (permalink
Butch Peefington

I think losing bad for multiple years & getting decimated behind an abysmal line is an absolute great way to get a young QB's head straight.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:44 AM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't expect to win at all for the next few years. That's why I want our QB now, so he can get his head straight, and get the feel for the game.. By the time he's ready, we should have filled more holes, and he can jump in and lead the team.
That's a simple concept that a lot of people haven't seem to grasp yet. If you go with a QB #1 you still have the 20,33, two 3rd round picks, and money to spend in FA. Let him ride the bench for a year and you have another offseason to fill needs with another top 10 pick. If your GM is smart and he hits on all the 2nd and 3rd round picks over the next 2 years you will have plenty of other talent around your franchise QB.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:51 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the difference between losing with a franchise quarterback and without one is that maybe the franchise qb can turn things around. right now we're stuck in the same rut. its worth the shot.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:22 PM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah my philosophy is different. Start in the trenches and work your way outward. I'd rather have a good base set (ie offensive line, running game) so when we do draft a rookie QB he can learn slowly. I look at guys like Rivers, Roethlesberger, and even Ryan. In their first year they were not the center of the offense. Tomlinson, Bettis/Parker (I think it was parker..), and Turner were carrying the load while these guys learned.

I dont think with our line Smith can be that same kind of "66% of the offense" type RB. And I think with this team Stafford won't be able to keep his head straight and won't learn.

Not to mention you win with Defense in this league. Our defense is 32nd two years running under a defensive head coach. Hopefully Schwartz can turn it around but something tells me it goes beyond failed Tampa 2 philosophies under the Marinelli/Barry regime. There are some defensive talents missing.

So I'm more concerned about basic holes getting plugged now and getting plugged well than trotting out a QB who we might ruin. But I think its also a difference of rating on Stafford. Some of you guys see him in the Peyton Manning category and I have him a notch or two lower. I guess time will tell, and hopefully Mayhew can make the right decision.
tblain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:58 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why not take the QB now, and bring him along slowly, while we fill our holes in the trenches?

I'm taking Stafford with the plan of sitting him as long as possible. The whole year if possible. I'd take a LG in the 2nd Round this year. Next years draft, we take the best LT we can get.

So, the 2010 Season starts with Stafford going at it with a year of learning under his belt.. a 2nd Year LG, and a Rookie 1st Round LT. Completely new (and hopefully good) set of blind side protectors for our Franchise.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:28 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Why not take the QB now, and bring him along slowly, while we fill our holes in the trenches?

I'm taking Stafford with the plan of sitting him as long as possible. The whole year if possible. I'd take a LG in the 2nd Round this year. Next years draft, we take the best LT we can get.

So, the 2010 Season starts with Stafford going at it with a year of learning under his belt.. a 2nd Year LG, and a Rookie 1st Round LT. Completely new (and hopefully good) set of blind side protectors for our Franchise.
Amen, brother Lions fan.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:51 AM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm all for this as well, although I will add that when the Lions are again out of the playoff picture and IF the Oline shows the ability to give the QB's some decent protection in the pocket (ie giving up far less than 50+ sacks like the previous two seasons), I wouldn't hesitate to let Stafford start the final 8 games or so to get used to the league. That way, he'll have at least some experience and team familiarity to draw on for the following season.
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:08 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noondog View Post
I'm all for this as well, although I will add that when the Lions are again out of the playoff picture and IF the Oline shows the ability to give the QB's some decent protection in the pocket (ie giving up far less than 50+ sacks like the previous two seasons), I wouldn't hesitate to let Stafford start the final 8 games or so to get used to the league. That way, he'll have at least some experience and team familiarity to draw on for the following season.
It depends wholly on how the veteran QB in front of Stafford plays.

I would let Stafford get playing time. You know, when our defense slips up and we're down 3 touchdowns in the 4th quarter. But I wouldn't start Stafford from the get-go. I'd probably let him start at some point if deemed ready though.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:17 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You take the QB now for a few reasons. For 1, like WMD said, you want him to be ready when your team is in place, and 2, Stafford is an elite level prospect and will be very highly rated in comparison to a lot of QB's, and a lot that are on the horizon.... He's got massive upside.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:03 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My #1 rule about the NFL Draft is that you never think about next year's draft, this year. For all we know Bradford could have a bad year and decide to stay for his senior season and neither McCoy or Tebow could separate themselves as franchise quarterbacks.

Right now you are sitting at #1 and a potential franchise quarterback is sitting there for the taking. Sorry, but you don't pass on him because of who might be available next year.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:06 AM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
My #1 rule about the NFL Draft is that you never think about next year's draft, this year. For all we know Bradford could have a bad year and decide to stay for his senior season and neither McCoy or Tebow could separate themselves as franchise quarterbacks.

Right now you are sitting at #1 and a potential franchise quarterback is sitting there for the taking. Sorry, but you don't pass on him because of who might be available next year.
THANK YOU PL. I couldn't have said it any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:52 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post

That's a good rule to live by. It's the same point I bring up every time people say to wait till next year and get the top QB then.

Do people really think the Lions are planning for 2010 draft now? If Mayhew had that mentality, to wait and get Bradford next year, then he would essentially be planning on being a terrible team in 2009. I don't think that's how he'll wanna envision the Lions, even if he's being a realist. I don't think he's planning on picking #1 overall again anytime soon.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:48 PM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
That's a good rule to live by. It's the same point I bring up every time people say to wait till next year and get the top QB then.

Do people really think the Lions are planning for 2010 draft now? If Mayhew had that mentality, to wait and get Bradford next year, then he would essentially be planning on being a terrible team in 2009. I don't think that's how he'll wanna envision the Lions, even if he's being a realist. I don't think he's planning on picking #1 overall again anytime soon.
As one of the Stafford descenters, I'm not thinking about 2010 draft necessarily. We don't have to draft a 1st round QB this year or next. QBs can be acquired through other means (look at Miami last year with Pennington, Warner in Az). I'm not saying "lets wait for Bradford/McCoy" next year, I'm saying we need to rebuild in another direction. (However, I do believe that every year there is a Stafford in the draft. I don think the guy is a once in a lifetime QB.)

I'd also be hesitant to assume that Stafford would sit this year if drafted. And one of my main fears is that he will get thrown in now. And he will get thrown to the wolves on a bad team that didnt address OL / DL holes, so he will be A) have no time to throw and B) be playing from behind because his defense can't hold a team to 3 downs (unless that third down ends in a touch down).

By getting thrown into a bad situation like this we risk Couching the guy's career, or turning him into a Carr wreck. To me thats a wasted draft pick, and my opinion is that when guys are picked that high and bust, many times its due to being placed in a bad situation too early and never being able to recover mentally.

If they draft talent at OL and DL, the lions won't be flashy but they'll start playing football the right way.
tblain1 is offline   Reply With Quote