Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 01-24-2009, 03:23 PM    (permalink
murdamal86
Veteran

murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.

I'm actually looking forward to the game you guys have against Oklahoma this upcoming season. It's too early to talk who's going to win and what not but in talking to my friend who's an OU fan, i assured him that they aren't coming down there and leaving scoring 40 plus points. I'm told em i'm not saying who's going to win, but i know Oklahoma isn't steam rolling them. We stole OU's swag.
murdamal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:47 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It kinda sucks that they had upwards of 5 1st-day caliber prospects return to school, 4 of which were likely 1st rounders. They lose a lot of players but also return a lot of key pieces.

If we had a decent offense, we would've beat the NC Gators on the road. With a good OC, we'll definitely be more competitive playing OU @ home. Then again our defenses matches up better with UF's offense than OU's. Stopping Bradford will be tough and we'll need a ton of pressure and turnovers. Their defensive line is also pretty terrifying, which masks their weak DBs.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:50 PM    (permalink
sbh15
2010 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it's been shown that when you get pressure into Sam Bradford's perfect little backfield, he struggles. You guys have a very good shot at winning that. Plus they won't be rolling at full speed since it's early season, kind of like how you caught us last season.
sbh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:56 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They were rolling pretty fast 2 years ago when we played them. That was when their offense was being run by a Fr QB, Fr RB, So & Jr receivers & a mostly Jr OL.

Plus we play them in Oct. They will have had a few games to iron out the kinks.

We definitely caught you guys this year and gave y'all a nice wakeup call. Gators fans should thank us for that, although the Ole Miss game was more important.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-24-2009, 05:04 PM    (permalink
murdamal86
Veteran

murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
It kinda sucks that they had upwards of 5 1st-day caliber prospects return to school, 4 of which were likely 1st rounders. They lose a lot of players but also return a lot of key pieces.

If we had a decent offense, we would've beat the NC Gators on the road. With a good OC, we'll definitely be more competitive playing OU @ home. Then again our defenses matches up better with UF's offense than OU's. Stopping Bradford will be tough and we'll need a ton of pressure and turnovers. Their defensive line is also pretty terrifying, which masks their weak DBs.
How do you think you guys D-Line will do on paper right now if you had to put an analysis on it? I'm a firm believer that talent wins out in the battle on the trenches not scheme's.
murdamal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:12 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

There's good overall talent and depth, but we have some holes and ?s. Marcus Robinson, Adewale Ojomo & Olivier Vernon give us 3 good pass rushing RDEs, plus Gavin Hardin who could contribute. Marcus Forston should be one of the best pass rushing DTs in the NCAA and he's working on getting stronger to shut down the middle. Our other DT spot is up in the air. Allen Bailey could slide in or stick at LDE. If he stays at DE, we're stuck with Joe Joseph, Josh Holmes, Micanor Regis and Luther Robinson. A guy like Sheldon Richardson would be huge but that's a longshot. Hopefully Regis or Holmes step up because Joseph is slow as molasses. If Joseph gets the gig, he'll come off on passing downs with Bailey moving inside (Justin Tuck-style) and the DEs will be Robinson and Ojomo. Andrew Smith and Steven Wesley are options at LDE if Bailey moves inside.

We're gonna rotate a lot of guys because we have the depth to give everyone fresh legs. Quantity is not quality, however, and this unit won't be entirely dominant until a year from now.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-25-2009, 03:46 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Our OC will be named "in a couple days, will be from the NFL and run a pro style offense".

How come it's not official on Whipple yet?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-25-2009, 05:59 PM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow, I am really excited about this recruiting class and how it's shaking out. It looks like this weekend's visits went extremely well. I am happy about all the possible OL commits and the ones we have already. If we can close on Hall and Bunche, WOW! That would give us 7 Possible OL Commits (Washington, Johnson, Hall, Bunche, Wheeler, White, and Plein), with the first 5 being potential studs!

By the way, Joey, who are the recruits that we are still going hard after, including committed and undecided players other than Hall and Bunche?

I know about Sam Barrington, Debose, and Greg Reid, but who else is there that I'm forgetting?

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:01 PM    (permalink
tolnaballa
Rookie

tolnaballa smells like sex panther.tolnaballa smells like sex panther.

I am not Joey, but I know were in it for Bobby Massie, Daniel Campbell (who I haven't heard much about lately), and Orson Charles...

I am sure Joey knows a lot more... He will fill us in..
tolnaballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:47 PM    (permalink
sbh15
2010 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
Wow, I am really excited about this recruiting class and how it's shaking out. It looks like this weekend's visits went extremely well. I am happy about all the possible OL commits and the ones we have already. If we can close on Hall and Bunche, WOW! That would give us 7 Possible OL Commits (Washington, Johnson, Hall, Bunche, Wheeler, White, and Plein), with the first 5 being potential studs!

By the way, Joey, who are the recruits that we are still going hard after, including committed and undecided players other than Hall and Bunche?

I know about Sam Barrington, Debose, and Greg Reid, but who else is there that I'm forgetting?
I'm fairly sure you're chances fell apart with Debose because you've been dilly-dallying with the offensive coordinator and Greg Reid is a long shot because he'd have to drop his Georgia visit and they seem like the front-runner. I know he said you guys will probably be getting Barrington.

Orson Charles may come down to a battle between you guys and Georgia.

I can't speak for him, but that is what I know.
sbh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:14 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolnaballa View Post
I am not Joey, but I know were in it for Bobby Massie, Daniel Campbell (who I haven't heard much about lately), and Orson Charles...

I am sure Joey knows a lot more... He will fill us in..
Also Andrew Tiller and Peter White.

We're in on a lot of OL and will close with at least 2-3 more no matter what.

Reid, Debose and Hall are probably longshots. Massie and Charles...we'll see. I really hope we get 1 of Massie/Hall and Charles.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-25-2009, 09:18 PM    (permalink
tolnaballa
Rookie

I was hearing that Daniel Campbell was a lock like a month ago... He is a 4 star o-line that can play gaurd or tackle.

I like these Prep School O-lineman, they have a year of development and weights on them compared to high school lineman.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:24 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Brandon Washington is very much ready physically. I haven't seen that much of Jermaine Johnson but I assume he falls similarly.

Then there's JUCO linemen like Terrence Cody, Jeff Otah, Carl Nicks, etc. that were successful. Experience and age are big for OL recruits and we need bodies NOW. Guys like Wheeler and White are good but will need time. I like how we're bringing in a mix of different backgrounds.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-25-2009, 09:33 PM    (permalink
tolnaballa
Rookie

First time I have seen anything on ESPN, it was just posted in the last half hour. Whipple to Miami tomorrow.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3860196
Old 01-25-2009, 09:38 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Feels good that he picked us over an Eagles promotion. Seems like he's really eager to get down here, set up an offense and call plays. I like that. Our offense is going to be exciting to say the least. Jacory is gonna be at least 190 by the start of the season and hopefully is arm strength improves a lot. The sky's the limit if he's healthy. My only concern is what we'll do with all our RBs. James and Cooper have been the starters for 2 years. Chambers looked good in the bowl game. Berry is working hard and he's very gifted physically. Brown, Miller & James are all talented and ready for the next level. I'd hate to be the guy who delegates carries.

To think we actually played Derron Thomas over the past 4 years...with all the guys we have now and will get in the future....

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-25-2009, 09:44 PM    (permalink
tolnaballa
Rookie

I personally think if James can stay healthy he will get us 800+ yards next year. Cooper will play more the Westbrook role in Whipple's offense. Chambers looked like a combination of James and Cooper. He should be solid.

Brown will get carries next year.

Miller and James should redshirt, unless they come in and just blow the coaching staffs minds.

If I had a problem with anything from last years team was how often they rotated wide receivers. Give the QB's some work with first string wide outs all game, get the timing down, and we will have a stellar passing game. Last year it was rotation and I think it through stuff off. Dedrick Epps could be huge next year, they way the Eagles liked to use their Tight Ends, Epps was a great players at the end of the year.

I mean we know who the studs are going to be... Aldarius, Benjamin, Byrd, and Collier. These 4 should be playing over Shields and Hankerson.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:52 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Cooper is the most overrated guy on the team right now. For a smaller "speed back", he does little damage against any team with a decent defense. He only runs well against slow defenses that give up big holes. His vision and creativity are terrible, he slows down on contact and breaks no tackles. We always get him the ball on screens but he's not decisive enough to make a move and get yardage.

Chambers is a much better option imo as he's a 1-cut guy who finds the hole and explodes through it. Cooper isn't a downhill guy even though he's built for it better than Chambers.

If he can grasp the offense, Bryce should get the most carries on the team. James will be our power back, and Chambers and Cooper will split time situationally. Berry will be a ST and back up James. Miller and M. James redshirt but both are good enough to play now if needed.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-25-2009, 09:56 PM    (permalink
tolnaballa
Rookie

I wish Berry would of stayed at Safety he has a great work ethic to see the field.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:00 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

He would've been better than Nicolas or Campbell but we do have a lot of Fr there and Berry is the only option of the 3 that could switch positions. I don't think he would've started at either spot so it doesn't really matter.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-25-2009, 11:14 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Berry is a practice squad player fellas. He is slooooooooooooooooooow. All the guys on the team love him but he and they both know he will not see the field.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:19 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
Berry is a practice squad player fellas. He is slooooooooooooooooooow. All the guys on the team love him but he and they both know he will not see the field.
From what I know, he had some injury history that will stop him from ever being more then a ST player.

Which is fine with me. He is a beast on ST. By far our best.
JoeyJr09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:21 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJr09 View Post
From what I know, he had some injury history that will stop him from ever being more then a ST player.

Which is fine with me. He is a beast on ST. By far our best.
Yeah, it's his knees. He tore up his knee bad his senior year of high school and hasn't recovered yet.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:36 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh15 View Post
I'm fairly sure you're chances fell apart with Debose because you've been dilly-dallying with the offensive coordinator and Greg Reid is a long shot because he'd have to drop his Georgia visit and they seem like the front-runner. I know he said you guys will probably be getting Barrington.

Orson Charles may come down to a battle between you guys and Georgia.

I can't speak for him, but that is what I know.
I as well as many others are fully expecting Greg Reid on Miami's campus next weekend.

His cousin Jamal pushed his visit back so they could go together. Insiders as well as our rivals staff and many local writers are all on record saying he will likely drop UGA and visit us. This could turn out to be more of a Miami-FSU battle then a FSU-UGA battle.

Debose has nothing to do with the OC and anything your hearing otherwise is false. He was more solid to the Gators then originally thought. Has nothing to do with our OC. He still hasnt ruled out visiting but he isn't expected to change his commitment even if he does.

Here is the list of the candidates for the final spots:

OL- Quinton Washington, St. Stephen (SC) Timberland 4*
OL- Daniel Campbell, Chatham (VA) Hargrave Military Academy 4*
OL- Peter White, Washington (DC) St. John's College High 4*
OL- Malcolm Bunche, Newark (DE) Newark 3*
OL- Bobby Massie, Chatham (VA) Hargrave Military Academy 5*
OL- Andrew Tiller, Garden City (NY) Nassau C.C. 3*
CB- Greg Reid, Valdosta (GA) Lowndes 5*
TE- Orson Charles, Tampa (FL) Plant 4*
TE- Sheldon Richardson, St. Louis (MO) Gateway 5*
LB- Sam Barrington, Jacksonville (FL) Terry Parker 3*

Of that list I'm expecting Barrington, and 2 of Bunche, Campbell or Tiller. Washington and White are likely staying home. Charles likely has way too many hurtles and should end up at UGA. Richardson is an extreme longshot to switch. Wouldn't be surprised if we found a way to pull one of Massie or Reid.

That would put us at around 23 layers which is about what where we will be at from what I'm hearing.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:08 AM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJr09 View Post
I as well as many others are fully expecting Greg Reid on Miami's campus next weekend.

His cousin Jamal pushed his visit back so they could go together. Insiders as well as our rivals staff and many local writers are all on record saying he will likely drop UGA and visit us. This could turn out to be more of a Miami-FSU battle then a FSU-UGA battle.

Debose has nothing to do with the OC and anything your hearing otherwise is false. He was more solid to the Gators then originally thought. Has nothing to do with our OC. He still hasnt ruled out visiting but he isn't expected to change his commitment even if he does.

Here is the list of the candidates for the final spots:

OL- Quinton Washington, St. Stephen (SC) Timberland 4*
OL- Daniel Campbell, Chatham (VA) Hargrave Military Academy 4*
OL- Peter White, Washington (DC) St. John's College High 4*
OL- Malcolm Bunche, Newark (DE) Newark 3*
OL- Bobby Massie, Chatham (VA) Hargrave Military Academy 5*
OL- Andrew Tiller, Garden City (NY) Nassau C.C. 3*
CB- Greg Reid, Valdosta (GA) Lowndes 5*
TE- Orson Charles, Tampa (FL) Plant 4*
TE- Sheldon Richardson, St. Louis (MO) Gateway 5*
LB- Sam Barrington, Jacksonville (FL) Terry Parker 3*

Of that list I'm expecting Barrington, and 2 of Bunche, Campbell or Tiller. Washington and White are likely staying home. Charles likely has way too many hurtles and should end up at UGA. Richardson is an extreme longshot to switch. Wouldn't be surprised if we found a way to pull one of Massie or Reid.

That would put us at around 23 layers which is about what where we will be at from what I'm hearing.
You didn't mention Marcus Hall? I know he is still very long shot, but I think this visit really helped us out a ton, and I think there is a good shot we may just steal one here.

And if you had to guess, what would our final class look like Joey?

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:20 AM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
You didn't mention Marcus Hall? I know he is still very long shot, but I think this visit really helped us out a ton, and I think there is a good shot we may just steal one here.

And if you had to guess, what would our final class look like Joey?
Forget about Marcus Hall.

I already stated. We will land Barrington and 2 of Campbell, Tiller or Bunche.

Those guys will put us at 22.

I expect 1 or 2 more guys after that to get us to the 23-24 range.

Who those last 1-2 guys are is too soon to tell right now. Depends on visits next week. White, Washington, Reid, Richardson all coming in. And there's still alot developing with Massie and Charles. Simply too close to call at this point.