Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 01-26-2009, 12:19 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From Maiocco's Q&A:
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/...qa-time-1.html
Quote:
Question: Any chance the 49ers make a run at TJ Houshmandzadeh? He's 31, but he seems to be right in his prime. Or do the 49ers like their future with Hill, Morgan and Zeigler?

My response: Sure, there's a chance the 49ers go after him. I've heard rumblings the 49ers are going to concentrate on tackle, receiver and safety in free agency. Houshmandzadeh would be a very attractive addition to the team.
Digging through the free agent list all three spots seem to be pretty weak. For tackle I will keep beating the Vernon Carey drum. Not sure how I feel about giving a lot of money to Whosyourmamma but the guy still puts up numbers even in a down year with a crappy QB. For safety I have seen Barrows throw around O.J. Atogwe and Jim Leonhard name. I liked Leonhard a lot, watching him this post season, but I wonder about his coverage ability, especially since he would have to cover a lot of ground with Lewis basically playing linebacker in our system.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:01 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
I wonder about his coverage ability, especially since he would have to cover a lot of ground with Lewis basically playing linebacker in our system.
I thought Leonhard was a SS?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:52 AM    (permalink
Fogcity_faithful
Rookie

Fogcity_faithful hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

TJ would be a nice addition, but I don't think he will be looked at. We are moving towards a run heavy offense so I see a big time free agent being in the order of a RT or a FS. I like the way that our young WR are developing well, and TJ would take away valuable experience from them.
Fogcity_faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:53 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I thought Leonhard was a SS?
Yes he is but I assume SF would only have interest in playing him at FS since we have solid depth behind Lewis. I could be wrong though and maybe they want him as a KR/PR and special teamer.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:56 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
Yes he is but I assume SF would only have interest in playing him at FS since we have solid depth behind Lewis. I could be wrong though and maybe they want him as a KR/PR and special teamer.
If he can cover then I love it.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:15 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So, if they are waiting for the Super Bowl to be played before poaching off one of those teams rosters, I am going to guess someone from the Steelers. And if I had to guess... I would go with Ken Anderson, their QB coach. If even that. Who knows. At this point, I am just waiting for someone random to be named that no one saw coming.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:21 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Post Senior Bowl Mock

1. Michael Oher T, Ole Miss
2. Louis Delmas FS, Western Mich
3. Clay Mattews OLB, USC
4. Rashad Jennings HB, Liberty
5. Juaquin Iglesias WR, OU
6. Zach Follet LB, Cal
7. Graham Harrell QB, Texas Tech

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:41 PM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Dont see Matthews or Iglesias there after the SR bowl. I
woodyx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:48 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
So, if they are waiting for the Super Bowl to be played before poaching off one of those teams rosters, I am going to guess someone from the Steelers. And if I had to guess... I would go with Ken Anderson, their QB coach. If even that. Who knows. At this point, I am just waiting for someone random to be named that no one saw coming.
I personally am kinda hoping it's Reevs now.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:57 PM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I thought I wanted Reeves but now Im not sure after I read this:

"This story took me by surprise. The idea that Dan Reeves would want to be an offensive coordinator in the NFL after being away from the game was a little shocking to say the least. Reeves has not been around the game for some time, and even though he was a great head coach, it might be a major reach for him to come back and reacquaint himself with the NFL. It’s difficult to be away from the game for an extended period, and unless you remain up to date on all the changes in the league in terms of personnel and scheme, it’s extremely difficult. Look no further than Joe Gibbs, who is in the Hall of Fame and whose coaching was based on great offensive football. He tried coming back with the Redskins but could never adjust to the new defensive schemes.

Reeves ran a very complex offensive scheme as a head coach and relied on his longtime assistants to help him install the offense and teach his system to the players. At San Francisco, he would not have the luxury of having his staff around him, and he would be the person who would have to teach the system to the coaches. That would be a very challenging endeavor.

I admire Reeves for being willing to set aside his ego and take a coordinator’s job, but this doesn’t make sense. Reeves is used to being in control and he’s used to delegating his ideas and letting someone else run with them. The role of the coordinator is to know all the details and to make sure that nothing is left to chance. This would be hard adjustment for any longtime former head coach, let alone someone who has been away from the day-to-day grind for so long.

What seems a little strange to me is that Mike Singletary didn’t have a plan or person in mind before he fired Mike Martz. Moving out Martz and not knowing who might be his replacement is very risky. Martz is a good coach, and all the cries for a larger presence in the run game may be justified, but his mind and his ability to create great match-ups in the passing game will be hard to duplicate.

Hue Jackson is an outstanding coach, and he has enough confidence to take over the 49ers’ offense. Many in the league feel the team’s offense will be very difficult to improve because of the lack of a legitimate quarterback, but Jackson has the moxie and the motivation to prove he’s a great offensive coach and can make it work even without the quarterback. "
Old 01-26-2009, 11:13 PM    (permalink
thediggler3030
Veteran

thediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
I said it before and I'll say it again, no matter what your opinion is of ex-49ers QB Tim Rattay, he basically matched and would have surpassed Vick in 2004 if he didnt get injured. And think about it, Rattay's best offensive player was TE Eric Johnson. Rattay had a worse offensive line, coaching, defense and was in complete rebuilding mode where as the Falcons went to the NFC Championship that year but lost to T.O. and the Eagles. While I was a fan of Rattay and just wish he was healthy back then, I think that it's safe to say that you suck if you cant out perform a QB who was on a 2-14 team but that's just me.

G / GS / CMP / ATT / PCT / YDS / AVG / TD / INT / SCK / FUM / LOST / RAT

Vick: 15 / 15 / 181 / 321 / 56.4 / 2313 / 14 / 12 / 46 / 16 / 7 / 78.1
Rattay: 9 / 9 / 198 / 325 / 60.9 / 2169 / 6.7 / 10 / 10 / 37 / 11 / 6 / 78.1

A HUGE MOTHER ******* NO THANKS TO MICHAEL *RON MEXICO* VICK!!!!!
He did out perform Rattay...
a. By rushing for 900+ yards, which Rattay did not do...
b. As you said, by taking his team to the NFC championship game.

On top of that it's impossible to fairly compare the two because, though Vick played 6 more games, he still had 4 fewer pass attempts. Vick's stats were always somewhat skewed because of how often he ran.

If you don't want Vick that's fine. But don't act like it's because you don't think he is good. I agree he wasn't the best passer, Roddy White proves that. But the Falcons were always competitive while he was there and if you don't think the 49ers would be better with him than what they have... Then you're just crazy.

But I doubt they would grab him. And I also doubt he comes back anytime soon. So this doesn't matter.
thediggler3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:20 PM    (permalink
thediggler3030
Veteran

thediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

As for FA,

I really want to go after OJ Atogwe. He is the playmaker we need in the secondary.

According to ESPN he had 5 ints and 6 forced fumbles last season.

My understanding is that the Rams are going to try to re-sign both Atogwe and Ronald Bartell. But I doubt they can sign both. correct me if I'm wrong but I've read that they have about $8 to play with. Not enough to re-sign tow players who could make a lot on the open market.
thediggler3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:22 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

I would really be down for O.J. he might be the most underrated FS in the NFL.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:07 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...e=NFLHeadlines

Quote:
Former NFL coach Dan Reeves has been in discussions with the Dallas Cowboys about a consultant's role, according to sources.

Reeves recently interviewed with the San Francisco 49ers about the offensive coordinator's job but a 49ers source said Monday that Reeves informed them he likely would be taking a consultant position with the Cowboys.
Of course Mort is reporting this so take it for what it is worth. But looks like we can take his name off the list. I am really hoping for Hue Jackson.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:57 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thediggler3030
He did out perform Rattay...
a. By rushing for 900+ yards, which Rattay did not do...
b. As you said, by taking his team to the NFC championship game.

On top of that it's impossible to fairly compare the two because, though Vick played 6 more games, he still had 4 fewer pass attempts. Vick's stats were always somewhat skewed because of how often he ran.

If you don't want Vick that's fine. But don't act like it's because you don't think he is good. I agree he wasn't the best passer, Roddy White proves that. But the Falcons were always competitive while he was there and if you don't think the 49ers would be better with him than what they have... Then you're just crazy.

But I doubt they would grab him. And I also doubt he comes back anytime soon. So this doesn't matter.
Vick had a strong arm and good athletic ability but overall, he was average at best. He was a RB playing the QB position. I dont care how many yards he rushed for because thats not his job. His job is to get the ball to the receivers which he rarely did. Ryan has shown what a true pocket passer is and as a rookie no less. Ryan did better than Vick ever did as a QB. I dont think that he was good. I think that he was overrated and overhyped just like Vince Young. I said that Young would be Vick part two and amazingly, he's turned out worse which I didnt think was possible.

Rattay was a pure pocket passer which if you look at history, that's what wins games and championships. Not a QB who targets his TE and then takes off because he cant see over the OL/DL and because he doesnt have the accuracy to get the ball to the WR's who are actually open. Vick DIDNT bring the Falcons to the NFC championship, the defense and Dunn is what got them to the NFC Championship and that game alone is proof because Vick blew chunks and couldnt do a damn thing because when the time came for him to be an actual QB, he failed badly.

And no, I dont think Vick is or was ever any good and in no way, shape or form would I want him on my 49ers. I rather see SF go 0-16 for the next century as opposed to seeing Vick in a 49ers uniform which would have Bill Walsh turning in his grave. And by QB standards, Vick didnt out perform Rattay and the stats prove that. It's not Rattay's or anyone else's fault that Vick sucked as a QB and couldnt pass worth a damn and just wanted to run all the damn time.

Of course, all that running should be helping him in prison as im sure he's running away from being the "big dog's" bit**!!! And yes, I do find that very very funny. LOL.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:01 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thediggler3030 View Post
if you don't think the 49ers would be better with him than what they have... Then you're just crazy.
I highly doubt that. We're talking about a guy who hasn't played a down of football since the 2006 season. He wasn't a great passer then, why would any one think his skill haven't diminished? Couple that with him being in prison for all that time. He's not going to be in shape and there is a good chance he wouldn't be able to get to that level of athleticism any time soon.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:10 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs...es/018956.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Barrows
ESPN is reporting that Reeves is engaged in talks with the Cowboys about a consultant's role with the team. Reeves' roots are with Dallas -- he was a running back there in the 1960s and began his coaching career there under Tom Landry in the 1970s. There certainly would be plenty of reason to return to Big D. If Reeves gets crossed off the 49ers' list -- and the ESPN story suggests he will -- it looks like they are deciding between Hue Jackson and Jeff Jagodzinski. Or arranging more interviews.
I think it's going to be Hue Jackson.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:43 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

More interviews
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...-talk-to-raye/

Jets running back coach. Don't know anything about him but his bio says he has been coaching, in the NFL, for 32 years.

Also PFC says 49ers are going to make "huge push" for T.J.
http://www.profootballcentral.com/20...oushmandzadeh/
Old 01-27-2009, 11:58 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

By the time we get an OC, it will be time for our eighth one. LOL.

As for T.J. Houshmandzadeh, I honestly dont want SF to overpay for a WR who will be 32 when the 2009 season starts. That money would be better spent on another position of need where the player is between 25-28 but that's just me.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:46 PM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would welcome the TJ signing. People talk about us wanting to be a run first team and thats all fine and dandy, but you still have to be able to install some sense of fear in the passing game for that to work. TJ has sure hands, doesnt seem to have a whiny star reciever attitude, and his game is not based on speed so that wont be as much of a worry with him getting older.
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:46 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

I really hope we don't overpay for Housh that would be a mistake.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:19 PM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

I dont want TJ either. Someone is going to pay #1 money for a #2 receiver. Alvin Harper anyone?
Old 01-27-2009, 01:26 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyx02 View Post
Alvin Harper anyone?
Good analogy.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:11 PM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyx02 View Post
Alvin Harper anyone?
Bad analogy.
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:05 PM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromforgotten View Post
Bad analogy.
hmm so you think spending Lee Evans money on a slow 33 year old WR that would do all the same things that Bruce did would be wise?