Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 01-27-2009, 04:08 PM    (permalink
farfromforgotten
Veteran

farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.farfromforgotten is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyx02 View Post
hmm so you think spending Lee Evans money on a slow 33 year old WR that would do all the same things that Bruce did would be wise?
Lets not put words in each others mouth woody. I said comparing TJ Housh to Alvin Harper is a bad analogy. Nothing else.
farfromforgotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:07 PM    (permalink
mac25fan
Rookie

mac25fan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

With the running game being the focus in 2009 for the 49ers Vick would be an interesting choice at QB. With the wildcat taking off this year, think of the potential creativity our unknown OC will have with Vick and Gore in the backfield. I would prefer to go this route than using our first pick on a QB that would be benched the first year.

Obviously this would only be if the staff felt that Vick was really going to turn over a new leaf and had learned his lesson.
mac25fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:27 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks like the OC race is down to 2-3 guys:

1) Hue Jackson, who is doing a 2nd interview today
2) Jimmy Raye

Something to note, Mike Johnson, former Ravens wide receivers coach and Falcons quarterbacks coach, is interviewing for the 49ers' quarterbacks coach position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrows
Johnson, meanwhile, is intriguing because he could be a potential heir to Jackson at offensive coordinator. Johnson, 41, is a former quarterback at Arizona State and Akron who played for the Cardinals for one season (1990) before joining the World League and the CFL. His first NFL coaching job was with the Chargers in 2000. He was the Falcons receivers coach in 2002. He became Atlanta's quarterbacks coach the following season and held that job before joining the Ravens as receivers coach in 2006. Johnson was released by the Ravens when new coach John Harbaugh was hired last year. Johnson also has reportedly drawn interest from the Jets for their vacant receivers coach position.
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs...es/018979.html

I hope it's Jackson, just so the Niners can get this all over with and start handing out playbooks. It seems that Jackson and Johnson were coaches at roughly the same time for the same teams. Maybe there is a relationship there?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:04 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Looks like the OC race is down to 2-3 guys:

1) Hue Jackson, who is doing a 2nd interview today
2) Jimmy Raye

Something to note, Mike Johnson, former Ravens wide receivers coach and Falcons quarterbacks coach, is interviewing for the 49ers' quarterbacks coach position.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs...es/018979.html

I hope it's Jackson, just so the Niners can get this all over with and start handing out playbooks. It seems that Jackson and Johnson were coaches at roughly the same time for the same teams. Maybe there is a relationship there?
If Jackson is getting a second interview then he is probably the guy.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:09 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I strongly believe we need to add a playmaking WR (red zone threat) to the core there is now, but I'm not feeling TJ Housgonnabeaniner as the solution. His price tag will be high and his age is somewhat of a question mark for the contract length he'll demand. We already have a great possession receiver in Bruce. Why would we want Bruce and TJ as our starting WRs? There would be no deep threat unless VD stopped blocking altogether and learned how to catch.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:17 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All unrestricted FA WRs, at the moment:

WR Antonio Bryant UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers
WR Drew Carter UFA Oakland Raiders
WR Michael Clayton UFA Tampa Bay Buccaneers
WR Terrance Copper UFA Baltimore Ravens
WR Bobby Engram UFA Seattle Seahawks
WR Robert Ferguson UFA Minnesota Vikings
WR Jabar Gaffney UFA New England Patriots
WR Rod Gardner UFA Kansas City Chiefs
WR Dante' Hall UFA St. Louis Rams
WR Devery Henderson UFA New Orleans Saints
WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh UFA Cincinnati Bengals
WR Darrell Jackson UFA Denver Broncos
WR Bryant Johnson UFA San Francisco 49ers
WR Brandon Jones UFA Tennessee Titans
WR Brandon Lloyd UFA Chicago Bears
WR Dane Looker UFA St. Louis Rams
WR Justin McCareins UFA Tennessee Titans
WR Shaun McDonald UFA Detroit Lions
WR Johnnie Morant UFA Oakland Raiders
WR Koren Robinson UFA Seattle Seahawks
WR Dominique Thompson UFA Carolina Panthers
WR Amani Toomer UFA New York Giants
WR Mike Williams UFA Tennessee Titans
WR Reggie Williams UFA Jacksonville Jaguars
WR Cedrick Wilson UFA Pittsburgh Steelers

Old 01-27-2009, 07:04 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't want a WR in FA. If we're going to pick a WR in the 1st day then i wouldn't mind getting someone like Crabtree or Maclin in the 1st or Hakeem Nicks in the 2nd.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:47 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't mind bringing back Antonio Bryant but I don't see it happening
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:30 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
I wouldn't mind bringing back Antonio Bryant but I don't see it happening
He will be a Buc again.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:58 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

I don't really see any FA WR worth signing.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:00 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
I don't really see any FA WR worth signing.
Neither do I, i'm still not sure if they should resign Bryant Johnson.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:10 PM    (permalink
FG4prez
Rookie

FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.FG4prez is a cocksman.

tj is a very different type reciever than bruce. i think his age will keep his contract somewhat reasonable. my issue with signing him is that it would keep morgan third on the depth chart. if we are going to be running smashmouth football, how many 3 wr sets will we be running? i guess that remains to be seen with the oc and if they run a lot of singleback, but i would love to see morgan continue to develop this year, along with hill who would be stuck at the 4th spot.
i would love to see atogwe signed.
FG4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:03 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Neither do I, i'm still not sure if they should resign Bryant Johnson.
If he is willing to take about what he was paid last year, why not? More competition for Hill and Ziggy.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:14 AM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What about the ex-BC coach Jagod-whatever? I thought that he might make a good oc.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:23 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have no problem with the 49ers handing out Lee Evans money for TJ. He has had 3 straight 90 catch seasons and he would have had 3 straight 1,000 yard seasons if not for the to Palmer. He would be a legit number 1. I am tired of SF half assing the WR position and I think it is time they invested some money into that spot. Not only will it benefit the WR core by adding a guy that can take pressure off the young guys (Morgan and Hill) but it will also create stability for whoever is QB by having a WR locked up for the long term instead of the overhaul that happens at WR every year.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:57 AM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I would not be happy if they signed TJ. It would be very Redskiny of them to over-pay (he is looking for 4yr $40mil) for a 33 year old who has never been a #1. He doesnt have great speed and could be easily taken out of the game by opposing DCs. For starters TJ (92 rec 904 yards 4TDS) is not much of an upgrade over Bruce (61 835 7TDS) I could see over paying Gross but not TJ. I want to see what Hill and Morgan can do. I would not be opposed to Devery Henderson whose speed could make him a nice slot option if the price is right.

Im also a fan of getting OJ Atogwe that would be my #1 guy!
woodyx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:54 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bryant Johnson did start to come on a little later in the season when he was finally healthy. I'm not opposed to bringing him back for another year for similar money, but he definitely didn't earn a number 1 WR multi-year contract for big money.

TJ is a possession WR and had many of his catches on short routes. Also, he wouldn't get as much single coverage because we don;t have anyone to draw doubles like Chad did. Ocho Cinco had a horrible year, but was constantly double covered, leaving TJ to run slants and curl routes. Opposing defenses would use the "bend but not break" philosophy against the Bengals to great success, covering Chad deep and allowing TJ to his short yardage catches. Looking at the Bengals record, that philosophy paid off.

As I've previously stated, we already have a 3rd Down/possession WR in Bruce and we have a "poor man's" TJ on the roster already with Battle. TJ has talent but is NOT a good fit for this Niners team and their future, nor is he worth the money he'll demand in FA.

Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

Old 01-28-2009, 12:03 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG4prez View Post
i would love to see atogwe signed.
I believe FS should definitely be where the Niners go in FA. They would likely have to overpay for a Tackle, but getting a lesser coveted one for depth would be a great idea (assuming they Draft an OT in the 1st or 2nd Round). Adding a proven pass rusher through FA would be better than spending a high pick on an unproven guy.

I would love to see Suggs or Peppers added as well, but not both.

Btw, isn't Atogwe a Restricted Free Agent?
Because people feel that this team is poised for a playoff run with a couple more pieces.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:02 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

I don't want TJ, he'll want too much money. Atogwe would be an upgrade but he'll be 28 when the season starts, so I would still like to see someone be drafted to be groomed at FS, unless they plan on making Dashon the FS of the future.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:32 PM    (permalink
mac25fan
Rookie

mac25fan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
... so I would still like to see someone be drafted to be groomed at FS, unless they plan on making Dashon the FS of the future.
That was the "plan" last year, but it didn't happen. Our defense suffered because of it. Hopefully Dashon will be healthy this year, but we at least need a more viable option than Roman.
mac25fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:00 PM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
January 28th, 2008

Alabama's Rashad Johnson is considered to be one of the Top 2-3 safeties in this draft and will likely be, at worst, a second round pick. However, I feel some lucky team might be able to get a similar player at a much better value in the later rounds with Trimane Goddard of North Carolina.

A three-year starter for the Tar Heels, Goddard doesn't have elite size (5-11, 195) or speed (4.55) but similar measurables haven't stopped Rashad Johnson from emerging as a Day One pick. Goddard, like Johnson, is a playmaker in the secondary and as a senior he intercepted 7 passes, returning them for a total of 156 yards (22.3 avg). For his efforts the Associated Press named him a Second Team All-American in 2008. Goddard has battled some injuries during his career so durability is a concern but he is a mature young man and a leader who will be an asset to any team that brings him into the fold.

Even though he was snubbed by the Combine I firmly believe Goddard is a draftable player and he could wind up being a steal for someone in the fifth or sixth round. Remember, Chris Horton was a seventh round pick of the Washington Redskins last year and after starting ten games as a rookie many felt he was deserving of Pro Bowl honors. I'm not saying Goddard is going to be that type of player but it just goes to show you don't have to be an early round pick to find success in the NFL. I think Goddard has the ability to defy the odds and he is one of the most underrated players in this draft.
Scott's latest blog entry. Something to consider should we choose to go elsewhere with our second rounder? (bearing in mind no safety in the draft is worth no.10)
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:59 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

As of right now before FA I think the guy we should get it Raji.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:13 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
As of right now before FA I think the guy we should get it Raji.
I dont see another guy they could get to play nose tackle. I know Tank Johnson is a UFA and he played nose for the Cowboys this past year but I dont think that would be a better option than Raji.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:40 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Apparently Mike Furrey is getting released
http://www.freep.com/article/2009012...047/1049/rss14
What about signing him?
Old 01-28-2009, 08:11 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm sorry, If we don't go 1st round O-line, I'll be upset. After that, I'm in the air about DE or S and leaning towards S.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote