Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 01-28-2009, 11:23 AM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Safety is the last place I want Ray Ray. I'm sure he will make some big hits there, but with corner being our weakest position, we need a true 'safety' who can protect and cover with the corners.

I'd love to see him as a LB/DE hybrid, hell let him be a LB/DE/roving safety hybrid. I'd even rather have him play TE for us than safety. Either way though he is an absolute stud and one of my favorite prospects in this class.

BTW I saw today that Whipple is meeting with the Bryce Brown entourage but Bryce won't be there and Butler said it is 100% that Bryce will not be signing on signing day. Ugh. I just want this over with. I love Bryce Brown but honestly I think Mike James is being severely under-rated and should be a 5 star back and only a tick below Bryce. He does not have the pure breakaway speed of a Bryce but man...that dude has some of the best balance/vision/agility I have seen on a RB in a long, long time and you combine that with his power...I'm telling you guys...Mike James is going to be a super star RB at the U and the NFL.

I'd rank them like this -

1. Bryce Brown
1a. Mike James

2. Lamar

I'm not as sold on Lamar as a lot of others but I could be wrong.

PS - I cannot follow that damn recruiting thread anymore! It is moving way too fast now and I'm glad we get an 09 Canes thread on here.
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:27 AM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Mike James is gonna be a FB here and as much as I love him, he isn't even close to a 5*

Lamar is the 1 player in our class that is truely underrated.

If he went to camps and showcases and AS games instead of working his ass off in the classroom, he would be a top 30, 5* players right now.

But he needed to do the classroom work to get into Miami and I'm fine with that.

Don't worry about Bryce. He's coming.
JoeyJr09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:38 AM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJr09 View Post
Mike James is gonna be a FB here and as much as I love him, he isn't even close to a 5*

Lamar is the 1 player in our class that is truely underrated.

If he went to camps and showcases and AS games instead of working his ass off in the classroom, he would be a top 30, 5* players right now.

But he needed to do the classroom work to get into Miami and I'm fine with that.

Don't worry about Bryce. He's coming.

Hopefully by fullback you mean FB in the way Willis McGahee was a fullback at UM. He is a stud RB and will get his. I don't expect people to agree on my analysis on James as I realize it is different from what everyone is saying, but I know it when I see it. And James has IT. In three years you'll be agreeing with this opinion.

I have seen Lamar in person, never seen James live I am basing it on film but James has better (times 10) balance, agility, power, and vision than Lamar Miller. This is no bash on Lamar, he has awesome breakaway speed and will be a weapon at UM but I just don't see the same arsenal of moves that MJ brings to the table.

EDIT: I'm not worried about Bryce I know he is coming it's just finally starting to get annoying to me this whole Butler thing...
Old 01-28-2009, 11:53 AM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Mike James is being treated as a Najeh Davenport type of FB.

Lamar Miller has drawn tones of Clinton Portis comparisons and I have to say that I agree. They look very similar.

Bryce Brown is obviously on another level. He has potential to be the LT of college football.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:00 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Coaches are getting really frustrated with Bryce. Whipple and UM spending money on a plane ticket to meet with Bryce and the kid is on vacation...

... in Nebraska...

Enough with the games dude. Meet your coach.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:21 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
Coaches are getting really frustrated with Bryce. Whipple and UM spending money on a plane ticket to meet with Bryce and the kid is on vacation...

... in Nebraska...

Enough with the games dude. Meet your coach.
Coaches need to call him to call him out on the BS. If your saying your worried about the OC then you need to be there to meet the OC. Don't set up a visit with your parents.

See problem is he doesn't really care about the OC. This is Butler's ways of pumping money out of the kid with that damn website and the OC is the excuse so Butler is the one setting up the meeting and doing the interview to same face on Bryce not signing.

As good as Arthur's situation was handled, Butler is doing Bryce a real disservice.

He needs to just tell Bryce to sign and stop milking him for every penny.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:40 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...ts?eref=fromSI

This is SI's front page truth & rumors article. lol, it's funny how people don't believe how the media hates Miami. What about UF and them losing all their recruits after winning the NC? These guys aren't going anywhere and it's not news that they're soft verbals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
BTW I saw today that Whipple is meeting with the Bryce Brown entourage but Bryce won't be there and Butler said it is 100% that Bryce will not be signing on signing day. Ugh. I just want this over with. I love Bryce Brown but honestly I think Mike James is being severely under-rated and should be a 5 star back and only a tick below Bryce. He does not have the pure breakaway speed of a Bryce but man...that dude has some of the best balance/vision/agility I have seen on a RB in a long, long time and you combine that with his power...I'm telling you guys...Mike James is going to be a super star RB at the U and the NFL.

I'd rank them like this -

1. Bryce Brown
1a. Mike James

2. Lamar

I'm not as sold on Lamar as a lot of others but I could be wrong.

PS - I cannot follow that damn recruiting thread anymore! It is moving way too fast now and I'm glad we get an 09 Canes thread on here.
OMG....I can't believe my eyes!!!!!!!!!!!

This whole time I've been afraid to speak up because no one really talks about him...I love Mike James. He could be a great workhorse back for us and he looks like a rich man's Kevin Smith. I definitely agree that he's much better than Miller and deserves 5*, but I don't agree that he's only a tick below Brown. Brown is like a 10* and no one's on his level. I'd be perfectly fine with James as our RB for 3 years though, no question. All this FB talk is driving me crazy because Brown and James could wear defenses down like never before. James is a natural runner and I'm sure he could be an excellent blocker but I'd rather we have a big, stocky monster like Patrick Hill to give us some pop. James' talent would be wasted at FB.

We need to start a fan club or something. I don't know what Joey doesn't see but James is extremely underrated. Breakaway speed is not everything.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:11 PM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

LOL I'm down to start a Mike James fan club, because he is being so overlooked right now. It's funny you bring up Kevin Smith too, I was thinking how if he went to a school like UCF he'd start four years and break all their records.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:23 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

But he's All Cane and wants to compete :)

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-28-2009, 08:07 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

I have nothing against Mike James. I think he's a heck of a back and is exactly what the doctor ordered on short yardage.

I just think he's the 3rd best back in our class.

If he isn't gonna see the field at RB, we need to use him at FB.

Apparently the coaching staff feels the same way.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:18 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like James too. It could be because his half the plays on his highlights are counter treys though. Seriously, if Whipple runs counter treys I'm going to give him a hug.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:48 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

Looks like we might be getting Billy Sanders back
Old 01-29-2009, 01:49 AM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Quote:
Looks like we might be getting Billy Sanders back
I'm pretty meh about that....
Old 01-29-2009, 02:00 AM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

Quote:
I'm pretty meh about that....
Unless you wanna see us playing Richard Gordon with Tervaris Johnson as a backup, you better pray we land some more TEs.

Sanders is as good as any. Should be a solid TE here.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:14 AM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Quote:
Unless you wanna see us playing Richard Gordon with Tervaris Johnson as a backup, you better pray we land some more TEs.

Sanders is as good as any. Should be a solid TE here.
Looking at his video though I see nothing that says he is a D1 TE, let alone a Miami TE. I'd rather move and develop a high ceiling guy like Ray Ray, Jordan Futch, Tommy Streeter maybe...who knows...any of those guys have a higher ceiling though and that's all that matters to me when projecting HS guys.

I was very happy when Sanders de-commited because it saves us a spot for an actual impact athlete in the loaded 2010 class, but oh well...if he is going to be a Cane I guess I have to accept it...
Old 01-29-2009, 02:50 AM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Looking at his video though I see nothing that says he is a D1 TE, let alone a Miami TE. I'd rather move and develop a high ceiling guy like Ray Ray, Jordan Futch, Tommy Streeter maybe...who knows...any of those guys have a higher ceiling though and that's all that matters to me when projecting HS guys.

I was very happy when Sanders de-commited because it saves us a spot for an actual impact athlete in the loaded 2010 class, but oh well...if he is going to be a Cane I guess I have to accept it...
Joey, Billy Sanders IS Tervaris Johnson

We are so thin at TE its stupid
Old 01-29-2009, 02:59 AM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post

This is SI's front page truth & rumors article. lol, it's funny how people don't believe how the media hates Miami. What about UF and them losing all their recruits after winning the NC? These guys aren't going anywhere and it's not news that they're soft verbals.

This whole time I've been afraid to speak up because no one really talks about him...I love Mike James. He could be a great workhorse back for us and he looks like a rich man's Kevin Smith. I definitely agree that he's much better than Miller and deserves 5*, but I don't agree that he's only a tick below Brown. Brown is like a 10* and no one's on his level. I'd be perfectly fine with James as our RB for 3 years though, no question. All this FB talk is driving me crazy because Brown and James could wear defenses down like never before. James is a natural runner and I'm sure he could be an excellent blocker but I'd rather we have a big, stocky monster like Patrick Hill to give us some pop. James' talent would be wasted at FB.

We need to start a fan club or something. I don't know what Joey doesn't see but James is extremely underrated. Breakaway speed is not everything.
Hey, you watch your mouth! Nobody measures up to 24K...nobody.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:08 AM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:

Much better than Miller, I don't think so.

Lamar runs a legit 4.4 and was rated a top 5 inside runner in the nation by Rivals. He's been the best back in Dade for 2 years running now and has been compared to Portis favorably by countless experts.

I love Mike James, and he is going to play at Miami and do very well for himself, but it goes 1. Bryce 2. Lamar 3. MJ
Old 01-29-2009, 07:43 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Much better than Miller, I don't think so.

Lamar runs a legit 4.4 and was rated a top 5 inside runner in the nation by Rivals. He's been the best back in Dade for 2 years running now and has been compared to Portis favorably by countless experts.

I love Mike James, and he is going to play at Miami and do very well for himself, but it goes 1. Bryce 2. Lamar 3. MJ
Miller is not my kind of back. I don't like the Portis types. James is flying under the radar right now because he doesn't have the hype that Miller had for 2 years and he's not super fast. I remember when he committed there were a lot of Canes fans who said "Oh no now we don't have room for Miller...what's happening". I though to myself "Lamar Miller who?".

The problem with our RBs right now is that Cooper hesitates too much and JJ isn't quick or explosive enough to get through the hole or make a cutback. Mike James keeps his shoulders square to the line, has good feet in the hole and gets downfield in a hurry. He can shoulder the load and pound it for long drives, always falling forward and getting maximum yardage.

I refuse to believe the coaches already have him pegged as a #3. That's all rumors based on internet hype. When all the backs arrive and practice, then we'll see who will go where. I trust Whipple to make that decision.

No sense in arguing over this though. If James is really good it will be a bonus considering most Canes fans are set on Brown and Miller. Nothing wrong with 3 good RBs.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-29-2009, 10:06 AM    (permalink
CaneInEastTexas
Rookie

CaneInEastTexas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.CaneInEastTexas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Recruiting Question

I have a question that I haven't seen discussed: What role is AJ Highsmith going to play at Miami? I can understand him coming to Miami, but where does he project to play? I was under the impression that he was a decent throwing QB, that his strength was running the ball. Does that type of QB project well under WHipple's offense?
Old 01-29-2009, 11:26 AM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

He was old a long, long time ago that he was gonna be a QB here.

Hed have to be pretty bad at that to be moved anywhere else and if he was moved it would be to safety where he would ride pine for his entire career.

But he has the makings of a solid QB.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:17 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Miller is not my kind of back. I don't like the Portis types. James is flying under the radar right now because he doesn't have the hype that Miller had for 2 years and he's not super fast. I remember when he committed there were a lot of Canes fans who said "Oh no now we don't have room for Miller...what's happening". I though to myself "Lamar Miller who?".

The problem with our RBs right now is that Cooper hesitates too much and JJ isn't quick or explosive enough to get through the hole or make a cutback. Mike James keeps his shoulders square to the line, has good feet in the hole and gets downfield in a hurry. He can shoulder the load and pound it for long drives, always falling forward and getting maximum yardage.

I refuse to believe the coaches already have him pegged as a #3. That's all rumors based on internet hype. When all the backs arrive and practice, then we'll see who will go where. I trust Whipple to make that decision.

No sense in arguing over this though. If James is really good it will be a bonus considering most Canes fans are set on Brown and Miller. Nothing wrong with 3 good RBs.
You seem to think Lamar Miller is the type who shies away from contact.

Portis is one of the most consistent inside runners and best backs in the NFL. Miller is a clone of Portis. There is not much different from Miller and James except Miller is faster and James is a little bigger.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:15 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have watched Whipple coach many years at UMASS and met him one time as well. I must say that is a great fricken hire of the Canes.

I will be watching them closely this year.

GO CANES!
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:43 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
You seem to think Lamar Miller is the type who shies away from contact.

Portis is one of the most consistent inside runners and best backs in the NFL. Miller is a clone of Portis. There is not much different from Miller and James except Miller is faster and James is a little bigger.
I never said that. It might "seem" like that's my thought process but it isn't. I just don't like the Miller/Portis types like I like James. It's more than size/speed, it's about running style.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-29-2009, 07:20 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know high school to college is hard to compare, like college to the pros. But, who do you recruiting buffs compare Bryce Brown too???

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote