Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 02-04-2009, 12:11 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat Sagdiyev View Post
I hear what you're saying there, but the same could have been said about drafting a 3-4 ILB (Willis) with the 11th pick. I think the way this draft will fall, one of those top OT should slide to us and I think it would be a mistake to not plug the gap at RT with one of them.
I think it's Raji or best OT available. I wouldn't really have a problem with either of those as it would fill a need. I think Raji is the pick but taking someone to play RT would be okay with me. If I had to guess:

1) Raji or best OT available
2) BPA (assuming it's a DT/OT/OLB)
3) RB/BPA
4) QB

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:39 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Raji or Oher and i'm a happy man.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:20 AM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

would orakpo-1st, loadholt-2nd be plausible
Old 02-04-2009, 08:57 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post
would orakpo-1st, loadholt-2nd be plausible
I dont think Orakpo is going to make it to 10. Everette Brown is another guy just like him, with regards to position but he doesnt have as much fan fair.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:06 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Raji or Oher and i'm a happy man.
I believe both those are excellent values at 10 and would be happy with either.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:18 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't feel like quoting a bunch of posts.......

49ers are probably going to get a 5th and 6th according to Maiocco.
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2233666

Have no problem with Tony Richardson as FB. I would prefer Weaver or Norris but Richardson makes sense with Raye as the OC. Not realloy worried about his age. Look at Lorenzo Neal. Plus with many teams going away from traditional fullbacks SF should be able to pluck a solid FB, that fits the system, from free agency if Richardson calls it quits after this season.

Highest I would take a running back is third. I think SF has greater needs and looking at the core of backs, around the league, a lot of them are later round picks. I would like SF to get a Sproles/Bradshaw type back. Never hurts to add more speed to this offense but not sure that is the direction they are going.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:27 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
49ers are probably going to get a 5th and 6th according to Maiocco.
At least they don't have to give a 5th to the Bears this year.

Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

Old 02-04-2009, 11:32 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
At least they don't have to give a 5th to the Bears this year.
By mentioning that, you have committed tampering.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:41 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Ah great way to go Irishman.

Last edited by Menardo75 : 02-04-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:51 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Quote:
No way. Not a chance. Screw the Bears for being so "tamper-mental."

Old 02-04-2009, 07:01 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

what about signing Julius Peppers? I know that he wants to play in a 3-4, so why don't we give him a try? There can never be too many pass rushers on a team. And i don't care if he is turning 29, he is a FREAK, he will probably be good for at least six more years.

Also, with Raji...I really like him, but does he truly possess 3-4 NT skills? and is 10 too high to draft a NT? Wilfork was drafted at 21, and he is one of the top NTs in the league. This will also be 2 DTs taken in the first round the last 2 years, which does not bode well for the fans anyways. Maybe we can trade down a few???

Last edited by edgrenade : 02-04-2009 at 07:11 PM.
edgrenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:32 PM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Balmer is more of a 3-4 DE so he can play next to Raji. As for Peppers, of course Id love to have him but so would 31 other teams. I would like to see the Niners make a run at OJ, Weaver and Carey.

I think trading down could be an option if Crabs or Sanchez is there. But I only like the trade down IF Raji is gone. He will not get past Denver at #12 no way no how.
woodyx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:35 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
what about signing Julius Peppers?
He's going to want to be the highest paid player in the league. Also, as a full time 4-3 DE, can he even cover people in the passing game?

Quote:
Also, with Raji...I really like him, but does he truly possess 3-4 NT skills? and is 10 too high to draft a NT? Wilfork was drafted at 21, and he is one of the top NTs in the league. This will also be 2 DTs taken in the first round the last 2 years, which does not bode well for the fans anyways. Maybe we can trade down a few???
Is he a true 3-4 NT? I would say he's built for it and he seemed fine all week at the Senior Bowl. Two DTs in two years isn't a big deal to me. How would that not bode well for the fans? Also, trading down is hard to do nowadays, with such a high pick. Not many teams want to give up draft picks to move up only to pay someone a lot of money.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:32 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

[quote=Brent;1475057]He's going to want to be the highest paid player in the league. Also, as a full time 4-3 DE, can he even cover people in the passing game?[quote]

Wasn't Manny a 4-3 end in college before we turned him into a cover linebacker? I think if you're athletic enough, and have fluid hips, you can be taught the technique of covering tight ends and runningbacks. Especially since the most athletic tight end he'll see is in practice.
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:45 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

I would rather spend the money on Carey and/ or Weaver.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:57 PM    (permalink
no love
Veteran

no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.

As an elephant lb (which he would be), Peppers wouldn't really have to do much more than cover flats and drop on the occasional play.

Peppers would be as close to a Charles Haley as we could get, Peppers already has more int's in one year than Haley had in his career.

But I am not a huge fan of making him the highest paid defensive player, which is probably the contract he will get.
no love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:59 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

[quote=king2am;1475197][quote=Brent;1475057]He's going to want to be the highest paid player in the league. Also, as a full time 4-3 DE, can he even cover people in the passing game?
Quote:

Wasn't Manny a 4-3 end in college before we turned him into a cover linebacker? I think if you're athletic enough, and have fluid hips, you can be taught the technique of covering tight ends and runningbacks. Especially since the most athletic tight end he'll see is in practice.
Well he was meant to be 3-4 LB from the start. Not having near the bulk as his counterpart, Manny Lawson. He's athletic enough to be anywhere on the field

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:22 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A few things that stood out from Kevin Lynch's blog:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=35471
Quote:
he told Matt Barrows, getting another running back to help Gore. McCloughan is enamored with big backs, which is something he had in previous stops in Green Bay with Dorsey Levens and in Seattle with Shaun Alexander. The 49ers considered four running backs in the sixth round of the 2007 draft, but McCloughan insisted on Thomas Clayton because he was the only one over 220 pounds. McCloughan said on radio he would like to have a bigger, younger, "down hill" runner to back up Gore.
Barrows brought up Andre Brown and Rasheed Jennings as two possible targets. Checking free agency not many guys that fit that profile and if they do they got issues i.e Ricky Williams and LaMont Jordan. He doesn't fit under the profile but I wouldn't mind bringing Cal boy J.J. Arrington home. He could fill the KR role for the 49ers and be a change of pace back for Gore.

Quote:
McCloughan also said the team had money which means they will likely make one sizeable signing in free agency. So who could that be? And who should the 49ers make a run at first? Nnamdi Asomugha is an intriguing name; his signing could prompt Walt Harris or even Nate Clements to move to free safety. Also, McCloughan believes drafting a shut down corner is a complete crap shoot, and corners will be at an even higher premium with the NFL's increased reliance on the pass. Is he the guy?
Thoughts? We know Namdi is looking for more money then Clements. That would be one highly paid secondary. I am surprised to see Namdi name linked to SF, since they have Clements.

Also Scott's new mock is out:
http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php
10. Mark Sanchez
I expect this board to be in full riot mode if this is still the projected pick by mid-March.
43. Phil Loadholt, OT
Also damn Green Bay for switching to a 3-4. More comp. for my bandwagon pick of Brown.

Last edited by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? : 02-05-2009 at 07:29 AM.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:20 AM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Harris could move to secondary for a year or so and be effective, but we would need an upgrade next year. No way I want Clements to move to FS, as he is paid WAAAAYYY too much to go to lesser roll, and is a great, physical corner, which Namdi would compliment with his quicker skill set.

Though I love Peppers, if he and Namdi are available for around the same money, Namdi makes far more sense for the Niners.

If Scotty Mac took Clayton because he was a bigger back, then he needs a chance. I think they will look to the Draft for an ideal big back, and if they don;t come away with one, Clayton will be the backup plan.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:36 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't hesitate one bit to make Nnamdi the highest paid CB in the league. He's the definition of shutdown. I would be giddy as hell if that happened.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:49 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat Sagdiyev View Post
I wouldn't hesitate one bit to make Nnamdi the highest paid CB in the league. He's the definition of shutdown. I would be giddy as hell if that happened.
Nnambi and Clements would give us the best CB combo in the league. Period. They're both top 10 cover corners.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:16 AM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Nnambi and Clements would give us the best CB combo in the league. Period. They're both top 10 cover corners.
That's a lot of money in one position. I'd be ecstatic if that were to happen for us making the games against the Cards that much better. That and it would allow us to get a little more aggressive on the front end. But do we really think this is probable?

I'm not sure.

Either way, you will hear no complaints from this guy if we land Namdi or Peppers.
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:31 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2am View Post
But do we really think this is probable?
No, but it's fun to think about.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:34 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Honestly, I'm not even one bit worried about salary cap issues. Our front office has proven that they understand how to structure contracts now to keep us from falling into cap hell again. How many years in a row have we had $20M+ in space going into free agency? And we've added high priced FAs in Clements/Smith/Lewis etc. If we want Nnamdi, we'll fit him in nicely.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:00 PM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Eh as much as I love Nnamdi I think they would be better served spending on Atogwe. Harris isnt a good enough tackler to move to FS. As good as they are at managing the cap at some point spending will come back to haunt you (ask the Redskins)
woodyx02 is offline   Reply With Quote