Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:46 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default OTL report: Texans held contact drills in mini-camp

Just saw it as breaking news on Mike & Mike, I'll look for a link.

They mentioned 3 players were injured for the season during these drills.

edit: guess they won't be running the story until Sunday, so it may not even be a big deal...Not sure how much trouble you can get in from the CBA from stuff like this but it could just be a non-issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Last edited by LonghornsLegend : 02-05-2009 at 09:49 AM.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:34 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think its a big deal....I;m willing to wager every team does it.

PFT often posts a lot of comments any time they get some pictures or news that contact is going on just to show how often it happens.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:39 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Diffrence between Lions players and Texans Players... Lions players ***** about the contact.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:16 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
I don't think its a big deal....I;m willing to wager every team does it.
If my contract doesn't require me to be taking part in contact drills when i don't need to, why in the world would it NOT be a big deal?

Three injuries? How ******** are you that you're running contact drills that early into the season?
Old 02-05-2009, 02:48 PM    (permalink
Shahin
Veteran

Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
If my contract doesn't require me to be taking part in contact drills when i don't need to, why in the world would it NOT be a big deal?

Three injuries? How ******** are you that you're running contact drills that early into the season?
Because you have to be a giant ***** to whine about contact drills when your a *gasp* football player.

See: Lions.

RIP ST
Shahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:50 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's the link:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/n...ory?id=3885900

And to the questions of why would you do it, its because the coaching staff required players to. As you will read.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:54 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahin View Post
Because you have to be a giant ***** to whine about contact drills when your a *gasp* football player.

See: Lions.
And you have to be a giant moron to risk getting injured when you shouldn't be taking hits in the first place.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:56 PM    (permalink
Shahin
Veteran

Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And you have to be a giant moron to risk getting injured when you shouldn't be taking hits in the first place.
They did it for the first 10 (give or take) years of their football careers; I don't think any of the players that actually love the game have a problem with it.

RIP ST
Old 02-05-2009, 03:01 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Or you can just be obiding to the rules the coaching staff had set forth. It was required of them to take part in these drills. You're right, they shouldn't have taken hits in the first place but when your coach tells you to, are you going to say no? There's a reason we are hearing about just now, its because no one spoke up when it was happening, proving to you that they aren't going to confront their superiors. Good thing they didn't have a Chad Johnson or Terrell Owens personality on the team but it's not like anyone else is as likely to get hurt as the ego-free lineman so that decreases the probability of someone speaking up. The quarterbacks dont get hit so they arent going to complain. Take away the Ks and Ps. The WRs and RBs talk and they worry about being considered soft. The only players that are talking are the ones who were injured and lost something and not with the team. No one on the team is talking (yet) and thats to show you that they want no confrontation.

Last edited by tjsunstein : 02-05-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:04 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
They did it for the first 10 (give or take) years of their football careers; I don't think any of the players that actually love the game have a problem with it.
Well they weren't getting paid millions their first ten years of their careers. The same people that "love the game" are the ones that are whining like little girls when the NFL won't pay their medical bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
Or you can just be obiding to the rules the coaching staff had set forth. It was required of them to take part in these drills. You're right, they shouldn't have taken hits in the first place but when your coach tells you to, are you going to say no? There's a reason we are hearing about just now, its because no one spoke up when it was happening, proving to you that they aren't going to confront their superiors. Good thing they didn't have a Chad Johnson or Terrell Owens personality on the team but it's not like anyone else is as likely to get hurt as the ego-free lineman.
In which case the coaching staff should get fined a tremendous amount. I see where you can come off as a jerk if you refuse to do the drills when the coaching staff is on your ass about it, but at that point the minute i got home i'd phone my agent and have him call the NFLPA.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:08 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

Quote:
In which case the coaching staff should get fined a tremendous amount. I see where you can come off as a jerk if you refuse to do the drills when the coaching staff is on your ass about it, but at that point the minute i got home i'd phone my agent and have him call the NFLPA.
I'm sure the NFL has known about it long before ESPN so a fine is unlikely a year later. Is a fine warranted? Maybe, you could make a case. The injured ones have theirself to blame to an extent for not saying anything until they got hurt as if they didnt know that it wasnt allowed and that they were at risk. Pretty selfish to talk after you got hurt and not when it was going on to not just look after youself but the wellness of your teammates. But like I said, what NFL player is going to confront their coaching staff when its happening? We know that no one on the Texans will, or be successful if they tried.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:11 PM    (permalink
Shahin
Veteran

Quote:
Well they weren't getting paid millions their first ten years of their careers. The same people that "love the game" are the ones that are whining like little girls when the NFL won't pay their medical bill.
Let's not get into that.

Quote:

RIP ST
Old 02-05-2009, 03:14 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

Quote:
Let's not get into that.

Would you rather be a snitch and healthy, getting a chance with another team because if you snitched you probably wouldnt last long on your current one depending on the caliber of your play, or a tight mouth, jobless injured player who is reminiscing on what could have been?

Old 02-05-2009, 04:34 PM    (permalink
Loggerhead
Rookie

Loggerhead hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Loggerhead hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Nevermind they broke the story.

Last edited by Loggerhead : 02-05-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Loggerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:46 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Andre Johnson, Steve Slaton, and Demeco Ryans suffered season ending injuries.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:33 PM    (permalink
Shahin
Veteran

Quote:
Would you rather be a snitch and healthy, getting a chance with another team because if you snitched you probably wouldnt last long on your current one depending on the caliber of your play, or a tight mouth, jobless injured player who is reminiscing on what could have been?
I'd take my chances with the contact drills that make the team infinitely better than a bunch of no-contact ***** drills. Regardless, I'd rather keep my mouth shut and handle my **** inside the organization than cry to the NFLPA.

RIP ST
Old 02-05-2009, 06:36 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If this does happen often then I doubt many teams would be interested in that player.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:40 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Spygate II.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:51 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Well the ticker on ESPN is saying that all three guys are suing, so i think they're the ones getting the last laugh.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:06 PM    (permalink
IceKubes
Rookie

IceKubes hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Well the ticker on ESPN is saying that all three guys are suing, so i think they're the ones getting the last laugh.
Actually only Stevenson is suing according to the article, and that is not even for certain.

As a fan of the team, this is embarrassing. I'm angry with the coaching staff but at the same time I'm ticked about Stevenson. I'll watch the OTL segment on Sunday and try to get a better idea of exactly what was going on. Fred Weary, one of the O-linemen that signed an affidavit is apparently not pleased that his name was used by Stevenson in relation to ESPN. Some of this has been copied into the ESPN story.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/spor...ills_Offseason

Last edited by IceKubes : 02-05-2009 at 11:19 PM.
IceKubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:11 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceKubes View Post
Actually only Stevenson is suing according to the article, and that is not even for certain.

As a fan of the team, this is embarrassing. I'm angry with the coaching staff but at the same time I'm ticked about Stevenson. I'll watch the OTL segment on Sunday and try to get a better idea of exactly what was going on. Fred Weary, one of the O-linemen that signed an affidavit is apparently not pleased that his name was used by Stevenson in relation to ESPN. Some of this has been copied into the ESPN story.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/spor...ills_Offseason

"Weary told FOX 26 Sports he never intended for the affidavit he signed to be used as part of the ESPN story.

Ciapciak said Weary never told them they could not publicize the affadavit.

"I feel like Dan Stevenson did me a disservice," Weary said. "At the time I signed it, I didn't think he would go to this extreme. I thought it would be used internally through the team.

"Dan approached me and asked me if I would go on the record about the illegal one-on-one drills and I said yes. I signed it for Stevenson, not ESPN."

Weary said it's his understanding three players were hurt during those drills, Stevenson, Black and and former Texans center Chucky Okobi.

"This is upsetting," Weary said. "I don't want it to seem like I have ill feelings toward the Texans. It would be like biting the hand that feeds you."

Weary said ESPN requested an on-camera interview with him and he turned them down. He said Stevenson was trying to get him to go forward with the interview and sent him a text message requesting that he do so.

Weary read the text from Stevenson, dated Jan 20. to FOX 26.

"I already did the interview," Stevenson said in a text according to Weary. "Are you going to do yours?

"The team needs to get what it deserved."

Weary said when ESPN called for the interview he alerted the Texans as a courtesy and to ask for guidance. He said the Texans were already aware of ESPN's efforts.

"I didn't do the interview with ESPN because I didn't think it would be beneficial," Weary said. "It would just look like I was bad-mouthing the team."

Regarding the alleged rules violations by the Texans, Weary acknowledged they happened, but he also said the Texans tried to take precautions against anyone getting hurt.

"It did happen," Weary said. "Guys did get hurt. The coaches stopped them after that.

"In the Texans' defense they did tell us what was going on. They did give us parameters, like going half-speed during the drills. But when guys are trying to make the team, those parameters go out the window."

Weary recalled one such instance involving Texans defensive tackle Tim Bulman.

"Coaches will say we're not trying to hurt anyone and they would ask the offensive guys to let the defensive guys finish the drill," Weary said. But you've got guys like Tim Bulman, who was a practice squad guy at the time.

"He bull-rushes a guy and the offensive lineman has to be a football player and understand this is not half-speed. He becomes competitive and sometimes people get hurt."

While Black and Stevenson said the alleged rules violations occurred during the Texans mini-camp in May, Weary said he remembered the illegal drills taking place during the Texans' organized team activities last year, which are separate from the mini-camp."
tl;dr

next time just post the link. It avoids getting wall of texted.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:20 PM    (permalink
IceKubes
Rookie

IceKubes hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
tl;dr

next time just post the link. It avoids getting wall of texted.
Yeah I usually only post the link, there were a couple things I wanted to point out but I wound up just posting half of it instead. Too long, I edited it out.
IceKubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:21 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceKubes View Post
Yeah I usually only post the link, there were a couple things I wanted to point out but I wound up just posting half of it instead. Too long, I edited it out.
o ok, I just thought since you've only got 70 posts I'd tell you.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:38 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Where they padded for mini camp, or was this without pads. If it was with pads, why are people bitching? If it was without pads, then that's f'n stupid.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote