Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 02-05-2009, 01:41 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Free Agency/Trade Market

Now that the draft is coming up, let's talk other means of talent acquisition.

There's a couple of guys out there/on the block who I'm interested in. Part of me kind of wants in on the Lito Sheppard game. He's still out there by the sounds of it and if the price is right I think he could be a real nice get for us. It would be pretty sweet given the fact we lost Asante to the Eagles. We might not even have to part ways with one of our draft picks. He's going to get cut if they don't trade him and his stock is going to be waaaaay down. Might not be a bad guy to take a chance on.

Domonique Foxworth intrigues me a bit as well. He's capable of starting. Played real well last year. Another corner who I think we should be in on if the price is right.

Ultimately though, I don't we'll be all that active here. We have a few needs that the draft is more than capable or filling up. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to pull off some kind of move though, albeit a minor one.

Ultimately though, I think things will be relatively quiet on this front. We have a bit of wiggle room at $21M under the cap, but that figuring is deceiving given the Cassel situation. I doubt we spend much of that extra cash.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:09 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lito's stock may be fairly low, but there's a good reason for that. He basically turned into a ***** when he lost the starting role and chose to not perform. That is a tough guy to bring in when you have 3 younger CBs competing with him. It's unlikely he'll sign a one year deal, and then we're stuck with a bum if Hobbs/Wheatley/Wilhite win the starting job(s). Pass on Lito, thanks.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:22 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, he did turn into a real douche once it looked like he wasn't going to start. That much is true. Not the type of presence I would want to have on the team at all. Don't think there would be much competition between him and our players though, Lito is a lot better than anybody we have on our roster at corner. Still, probably not the best idea. Tempting due to his talent level though.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-05-2009, 12:31 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Probably right, but the coaching staff clearly love Hobbs and the jury is still out on Wheatley b/c of his injury. So is it a risk worth taking? IDK.

I would like to see another WR coming to town. It's still shocking to me that Chad Jackson couldn't put together enough of an effort to even make the roster. TJ would be nice, but I'm not sure he can become a true #1 as a successor to Moss. But with a stud slot guy like Welker it might work.

Suggs. I doubt BMore lets him go anywhere, and I would like to see the development of the young LBs, but bringing in a guy like him would still be nice.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:51 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If he wasn't priced too high I wouldn't mind either Foxworth or McFadden through FA. Housh would be far too pricey to even think about but would be ridiculous in a Pats uniform. Another player I would think about would be Vernon Carey.
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:57 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Carey would be nice, too. But OT carries a price tag similar to WR. Housh & Carey are probably both pipe dreams.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:28 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
If he wasn't priced too high I wouldn't mind either Foxworth or McFadden through FA. Housh would be far too pricey to even think about but would be ridiculous in a Pats uniform. Another player I would think about would be Vernon Carey.
Vernon Carey is one I didn't think about. I would love to get our hands on him. Just what we need on the right side of the line.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-05-2009, 10:38 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

vernon carey would be a nice addition..... i doubt we will be active in free agency or through trades unless its someone who clearly would excell in our system

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:00 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

It wouldn't surprise me if we went after a guy or two in free agency, but no major acquisitions. The trade thing could be pretty big with Cassel situation now though, but I doubt it's for players.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-06-2009, 10:00 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

So I posted this in the "Gonzales still wants a trade" thread, but I'm curious what you guys think:

To hell with his age. He has a few more years in him. That's what GOATs do.

Gonzo & KC round 2 (34) & 2010 conditional 2nd or 1st based on
Matt Cassel!! and Pats round 2 (58)

I can't see NE wanting the Chiefs 1st round #3 overall b/c it's too costly. But the conditional 2010 pick gives NE the opportunity to cash in on Cassell with a number 1 pick that is less likely to be a top 5 pick.

I figure it basically works out as Cassel for a 2nd & conditional 1st/2nd and Gonzo for a 2nd, which is fair for both teams. We still get the value for Cassel and get the GOAT at TE.
I'm not sure KC would want or have interest in a QB, but . . .

Thoughts?

Old 02-06-2009, 10:48 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

It all depends on how Pioli feels about Thigpen and furthermore....if he thinks Cassel can hold up in Kansas City. That would be an awfully competitive deal though and I think Gonzo would give our offense a massive boost. Doubt anyone wants to throw players in though. It'll still be interesting to see just what other teams think of Cassel. The prospect of getting a first rounder this year sounds really good right now.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-06-2009, 11:03 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

I'd be surprised if Pioli decides to pursue Cassel after Thigpen played so well, I just want Tony the G. lol

I'd love to see an extra first this year, just not a top 10 b/c of the expense. With this years overall draft depth - especially at LB, S, and O line - I'd be happy to see even a 2nd/3rd this year and another 2nd next year. But I think he's worth more and will be surprised if NE doesn't get a 1st out of him.

I saw someone post that next years picks are valued lower, along the lines of 2010 1sr rounder = 2009 2nd rounder. If that is true it should be a 1st rounder next year if a Cassel trade was 2009 2nd & 3rd and a 2010 pick, right?

My knowledge of the values on draft picks is . . . spotty at best, and the overall player pool is even worse b/c I don't watch much college football. So feel free to correct anything I get wrong.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:55 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I wouldn't want a top ten pick either. I don't think we have much to worry about though. Nobody in the top ten is going to be willing to give up the pick for Cassel without getting our first in return and I don't think we're exactly excited to move up in that range as well.

As far as the value system goes, yeah, that's a rough approximation, but that's all pick values ever are. A first rounder from a team next year is interesting because the situation with San Fransisco ended up working out perfectly for us last year.

The least I'm hoping for out of all of this is we get a later first round pick, maybe from the Vikings. That would allow us to take a corner and then fill a gap at either safety or linebacker. If all of this resulted in us getting Alphonso Smith and then maybe Clay Matthews, that would be pretty damned sweet. Anything else is just gravy.

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 02-06-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:09 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

That's exactly what I was thinking with 2nd this year and a conditional first rounder next year.

If Cassel does well and the team is successful the 1st round pick would likely be #20 or later. If they crap out and it's a 2nd rounder we get a 35-40 overall. A solid pick either way without having to worry about the overpaid top 10 pick.

For the draft this year a late 1st (Minnesota) or an early 2nd (KC) would be great. But I agree with you that 1st and 2nd round picks this year is a steep price for any team to pay. Maybe a 1/3/3 would be more acceptable w/a 3rd rounder from next year.

Honestly, I'd take just about any combo that returns us a 1st round pick for a guy drafted in round 7. Otherwise it has to at least match the Schaub deal. Vikes 2nd (#54) and next year's 2nd plus we swap 1st and move up one spot works for me!!

Old 02-06-2009, 12:20 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post

Honestly, I'd take just about any combo that returns us a 1st round pick for a guy drafted in round 7. Otherwise it has to at least match the Schaub deal. Vikes 2nd (#54) and next year's 2nd plus we swap 1st and move up one spot works for me!!
Which would be more than fair given Cassel has actually started a full season.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-06-2009, 05:07 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I wouldn't want a top ten pick either.
We really don't need a top 10 pick, but if we could trade Cassel for the Chiefs pick there would be some serious talents at positions where we could use some help (Curry, Orakpo, Jenkins, Monroe/Oher/Smith/Smith). If Pioli wants Cassel and is willing to give that pick up I would pull the trigger if Brady is ready to go, that would just be too good to pass up.

As far as FA goes, there are a ton of guys I would love to add but you never know with this staff. They could be in the 2007 load up on veterans mode or they might just want to build through the draft (more likely). I would love to see us one of the Ravens linebackers, Vernon Carey, Lito Sheppard, and a number of other guys if the staff were looking to grab some FAs.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:16 PM    (permalink
Bostonsportlova
Rookie

Bostonsportlova hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Just a couple guys I would like to trade, sign, and daft.

Chad Johnson
"Tell Coach I said I love him. I had a chance to talk to him and pick his brain a little bit down at the Pro Bowl in Hawaii this past season, and he's a great coach a great person to be around. I see why they're so successful down in New England. To have someone like that around at all times is good."

Probably not very realistic, but trading for Chad Johnson would be a very interesting move. Hey i thought trading for Randy Moss was not realistic. Clearly Johnson would love to come to New Endgland and wants out of Cinny. Cinny is rebuilding, and Johnson had a down year this year, so he wouldnt cost as much.

Sean Jones
He had 2 great seasons in 2006 and 2007. He got his knee banged up and had a so-so season in 2008, but i think he is a player the pats should take a chance on. He played with the Browns, so he has been in the same system the pats run.

Alphonso Smith
Smith has great speed, good instincts, tough, and confident. The only knock against him is the lack of height and strength. That is a very similar scouting report to every cornerback that Bill drafts. Although he hasnt drafted a corner in the first round, everyone said he wouldnt draft a lb last year but he never did. Well i feel this year is different like last.
Bostonsportlova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:10 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonsportlova View Post

Sean Jones
He had 2 great seasons in 2006 and 2007. He got his knee banged up and had a so-so season in 2008, but i think he is a player the pats should take a chance on. He played with the Browns, so he has been in the same system the pats run.
That's an interesting name. If he's healthy enough, he could keep us from spending a draft pick on a strong safety. Didn't know he was available. Really wouldn't mind picking him up.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-09-2009, 02:32 AM    (permalink
HellonEarth84
Rookie

HellonEarth84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If we make any sort of splash in Free Agency, I hope its on a DB.

LB and OLine have a blend of youth and experience. Our DB's are all very young though with Hobbs, Meriweather, Sanders, Wheatley, Wilhite all still playing on their rookie contracts. Would rather have someone who's been in the league a few years than drafting another rookie here.

Sean Jones, Atogwe, Jabari Greer...
Old 02-09-2009, 12:12 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

It would have to be cheap. We're like 7 mill under the cap thanks to the Cassel situation. If we don't get a deal done I don't think we see any signings.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-09-2009, 12:17 PM    (permalink
Bostonsportlova
Rookie

Bostonsportlova hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Unless they think Brady is not going to be ready by the first game, I dont see them keeping Cassel. As a result of my postive I think Cassel will be gone and we have a couple extra picks this year or next year with a lot more cap room to sign free agents.
Bostonsportlova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:54 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is there a chance that James Sanders leaves the team in FA or does he want to come back?

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:40 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would say he's probably 60-40 to come back. I doubt the patriots will give him any big type of contract as he is best suited for a backup/rotational type of player. That being said, we have only one legitimate safety on our roster (Meriweather) and since he knows the system and what not, I could see the patriots trying to bring him back.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:46 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

It depends on if we're able to land an upgrade or not. He's not suited for being a full time starter for anyone. He would be a nice depth player to have around if we could pick up a fulltime starter, but the price probably wouldn't be right.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-15-2009, 10:52 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ya thats what I'm saying, just that we might be more inclined to pay a little more for him because we have 0 depth at safety right now. I personally want to draft a safety to start next to Meriweather, but I feel as though they will sign a veteran (Dawkins would be nice) to come in and play.