Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 02-07-2009, 02:12 AM    (permalink
5 Fingers of Death
Rookie

5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.
Default Stafford yes, Vontae Davis no, Alphonso Smith yes

So Stafford #1, but Vontae Davis #20?

If the philosophy is that you build your lines first, then i would love to have Jerry at #20 but there is a very good chance he will be drafted before #20. If Jerry is gone...

the clearcut choice at #20 is Alphonso Smith. Mike Mayock and Charles Davis could not say good enough things about Smith and his play in the Senior Bowl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED9C6...e=channel_page

Davis is 4 inches taller and a punishing tackler but sometimes not coachable.

Alphonso Smith is 5'8". The guy is 5'8 but do you know how many INTs he had in his 4 years at Wake Forest? 21 INTs and 4 TDs. Unreal cover skills. Ball hawk. Is able to deflect the ball or get the INT. Great character. Clutch player. Comes up with big plays that turns the game around.

There are so many better candidates at #20 than Vontae Davis. I would not be unhappy with

Peria Jerry DT
Alphonso Smith CB
Ebben Britton LT
Warren Beatty LT
Brandon Pettigrew TE
James Laurinaitis LB
Clint Sintim LB

at #20 but no Vontae Davis. Character issue and lack of ball skills make me want to stay away from him.
5 Fingers of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:58 AM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Smith would probably be there at 33. I'd really like him there.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:48 PM    (permalink
Lions2342
Rookie

Lions2342 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think that Vontae has the potential to be a lockdown corner. The question is if he can actually put it all together to actually reach that potential. I would love to have Smith, but I think that's too high for him and he can be had at 33. I would love to have Laurinaitis or Jerry. One of our first two picks has to be on the defensive side of the ball.
Lions2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:38 PM    (permalink
detroitsports
Rookie

detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.detroitsports wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

"Alphonso Smith is 5'8". The guy is 5'8 but do you know how many INTs he had in his 4 years at Wake Forest? 21 INTs and 4 TDs. Unreal cover skills. Ball hawk. Is able to deflect the ball or get the INT. Great character. Clutch player. Comes up with big plays that turns the game around."

I think the last thing this new staff is going to do is draft another undersized player on defense
detroitsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:53 PM    (permalink
5 Fingers of Death
Rookie

5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.5 Fingers of Death is a cocksman.

His superior skills far outweight his deficiency in height. How many times will he be against a Calvin Johnson or Randy Moss? Most receivers are not taller than 6'3. Look at James Harrison. He's 6 ft tall. Height is important but when it comes to a very skilled position like corner, technique is just as important.

I think most mock draft has Alphonso Smith going late in the first round. Latest would be early second round. Jerry. If not Smith.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:16 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999 View Post
Again ... I'm lock step with wingboy on this one. Smith could easily be there at 33. I take him at 33, not sure about him at 20 ...

Little Animal at 20 is my pick. (if Everett Brown slipped I would take him here too)

That would be a great start at rebuilding the D in the D.
SINCE1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:59 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
There are so many better candidates at #20 than Vontae Davis. I would not be unhappy with

Peria Jerry DT
Alphonso Smith CB
Ebben Britton LT
Warren Beatty LT
Brandon Pettigrew TE
James Laurinaitis LB
Clint Sintim LB

at #20 but no Vontae Davis. Character issue and lack of ball skills make me want to stay away from him.
I'd be pretty unhappy with Warren Beatty. William Beatty, on the other hand, is a total stud.

hahahaha
Old 02-07-2009, 06:21 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
I'd be pretty unhappy with Warren Beatty. William Beatty, on the other hand, is a total stud.

hahahaha
I hate you so much.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 02-07-2009, 09:45 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think at 20 we really need to target DE DT OT or MLB if Rey is there. Im not a fan of Little Animal at all.

Alphonso smith at 33 sounds great to me
Old 02-07-2009, 09:45 PM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't like CB at #2. QB, then CB is getting to far away from the line, and that needs the most help on either side. I don't think that helps rebuild the team and I'm not a fan of it... but its still an early mock.

Also is Davis the consensus BPA at this point? I must say i do like the players that go 1-2-3 before the pick, but not as many after.
tblain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:58 AM    (permalink
BuffaloBillsFan
Rookie

BuffaloBillsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999 View Post
HAHAHA, the signature is hilarious!

I feel bad for you Detroit fans, you all have such a great sense of humor, regardless of the incompetence that your franchise has fallen under.

As far as your draft goes.. You guys gotta feel good about having some very high picks this year. From a Bills fan perspective, if I were you, this is what I would do:

#1 - Eugene Monroe, LT, Virginia | He is the reason why Brandon Albert played LG at Virginia instead of LT. I think Monroe is the best LT in this year, I think Smith out of Alabama maybe more powerful at the point of attack but Monroe can pass protect better.

#20 - Bradon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma St. | They say he is one of the best tight end prospects to come out in recent years. He is excellent in terms of blocking as well, he is like having an extra tackle on the field but with the ability to make a big difference as a reciever as well.

#33 - Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech | This dude is an athletic freak daddy and in the 2nd round he would be a steal. If Michael Johnson pulls it together, he has the same ability as a Mario Williams & a Julius Peppers, why not take him?

#65 - Mike Mickens, CB, Cincinnati | Mickens has been extremely productive at the collegiate level and he has fantastic size at 6'0 190lbs. I think that he would be perfect in the Cover 2 scheme you guys run.

#82 - Jarron Gilbert, DT, San Jose St. | I'm telling you, this guy is going to rise up draft boards after the combine. He is such a freaking freak! He was at 6'6 280lbs but now I'm hearing that he is going to be 6'6 290lbs in time for the combine. He had 22 TFL and 9.5 sacks last year, he is extremely explosive and very strong. lol, watch this video he is ridiculous: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXDSPbZ_OUw

If I were your GM, those would be my picks for you on the 1st day. I'm not sold on either Stafford or Sanchez as I feel they could set your franchise back and to be frank, you guys need to fix the lines before any QB can be successful in Detroit.
BuffaloBillsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:01 AM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

Haha... a freaking freak.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 02-09-2009, 04:54 AM    (permalink
5 Fingers of Death
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBillsFan View Post
HAHAHA, the signature is hilarious!

I feel bad for you Detroit fans, you all have such a great sense of humor, regardless of the incompetence that your franchise has fallen under.

As far as your draft goes.. You guys gotta feel good about having some very high picks this year. From a Bills fan perspective, if I were you, this is what I would do:

#1 - Eugene Monroe, LT, Virginia | He is the reason why Brandon Albert played LG at Virginia instead of LT. I think Monroe is the best LT in this year, I think Smith out of Alabama maybe more powerful at the point of attack but Monroe can pass protect better.

#20 - Bradon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma St. | They say he is one of the best tight end prospects to come out in recent years. He is excellent in terms of blocking as well, he is like having an extra tackle on the field but with the ability to make a big difference as a reciever as well.

#33 - Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech | This dude is an athletic freak daddy and in the 2nd round he would be a steal. If Michael Johnson pulls it together, he has the same ability as a Mario Williams & a Julius Peppers, why not take him?

#65 - Mike Mickens, CB, Cincinnati | Mickens has been extremely productive at the collegiate level and he has fantastic size at 6'0 190lbs. I think that he would be perfect in the Cover 2 scheme you guys run.

#82 - Jarron Gilbert, DT, San Jose St. | I'm telling you, this guy is going to rise up draft boards after the combine. He is such a freaking freak! He was at 6'6 280lbs but now I'm hearing that he is going to be 6'6 290lbs in time for the combine. He had 22 TFL and 9.5 sacks last year, he is extremely explosive and very strong. lol, watch this video he is ridiculous: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXDSPbZ_OUw

If I were your GM, those would be my picks for you on the 1st day. I'm not sold on either Stafford or Sanchez as I feel they could set your franchise back and to be frank, you guys need to fix the lines before any QB can be successful in Detroit.
Mike Mickens is hurt. He's a gamble. Had to pull out of the senior bowl after getting burn for a long TD pass first day of practice. Could not keep up with the receiver after still recovering from an injury. Great college career though. I would take Alphonso Smith in a heart beat. Little secret nobody knows about Alphonso Smith. Beside 21 career INTs with 4 for TDs, 5 career block field goal shots from special teams.

Michael Johnson is 6'7 258. Julius Peppers is 6'7 283. Mario Williams is 6'7 291 pounds of muscle. Johnson thin frame will make it hard for him to get loose from double teams or when he's up against a strong offensive tackles who can manhandle him. You can be tall but if not strong enough, you end up like George Selvie. Unless Johnson can add 15-20 pounds by the time the draft comes, i would avoid him.

I like Monroe, Pettigrew, and Jarron Gilbert. But the thing is you're not addressing the most important position in football. Bad quarterback play is a recipe for disaster. The quarterback. The thing is our quarterbacks really stink. Stafford is really good. Logic says you draft Stafford.

You did not address the weakest part of our offensive line. The offensive guard position. You probably have never seen Stephen Peterman or Edwin Mulitalo play, but they are not good. I hope the Lions draft an offensive guard with the top 5 picks. My pick is Kraig Urbick. Tight end would be a luxury pick unless it's some guy in the second day like Shawn Nelson with the second third round pick or Bear Pascoe.

My hope:
1 Stafford QB
1 Peria Jerry DT
2 Alphonso Smith CB
3 Scott Mckillop ILB
3 Kraig Urbick OG

Last edited by 5 Fingers of Death : 02-09-2009 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:35 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Vontae Davis reminds me a lot of Cromartie when he was coming out, the same pluses, and all the same question marks(minus the injury).

I think he's going to make a lot of teams sorry.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote