Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:49 PM    (permalink
gramage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioPalmer View Post
I agree from a standpoint that I'm the biggest Mario homer to ever live, but it would work considerably well. Because of the lack of solid secondary and poor LB corps you could hide those problems with 2 elite DE's like Mario and Peppers, plus those two would instantly give the Texans the best 43 pass rush in the league. But I don't know how realistic that is to pay 2 guys huge amounts of money that both play the same position.
It is hard to see, but keep in mind they've got noone in the back 7 who they have to worry about signing for big money (the MLB gets great reviews, but he's only 2 years in so they've got room there) so I don't think blowing the budget on the D-line hurts as bad as it would most teams.

They get Peppers, settle the issues at RB and get the O-line to play at least a little better and I could see them making a strong playoff run, colts or no colts.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:13 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Peppers is an unusual guy. I have no idea whether he really wants to go to another team, or even if he really wants to go to a 34.

He could do it, he could be a great 34 player, but depending on the coach and supporting cast he has he could continue to be a special 43 end.

I just hate that the Panthers have to sign an all pro LT as well as restructure some key vets all in 10 days to have a chance at franchising pep and getting something for him. Losing Gross would be mega painful.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:33 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
I've been thinking about a Kampman - Peppers trade for awhile now. Makes sense for a lot of parties.
No it doesn't. Neither of them has experience in a 3-4 and Kampman would probably transition better than Peppers. What do the Packers get out of that?
Old 02-09-2009, 04:10 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindSite View Post
Peppers is an unusual guy. I have no idea whether he really wants to go to another team, or even if he really wants to go to a 34.

He could do it, he could be a great 34 player, but depending on the coach and supporting cast he has he could continue to be a special 43 end.

I just hate that the Panthers have to sign an all pro LT as well as restructure some key vets all in 10 days to have a chance at franchising pep and getting something for him. Losing Gross would be mega painful.
Either way his interview was very entertaining.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:54 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I have no idea whether he really wants to go to another team, or even if he really wants to go to a 34.
Have you not listened to any of his previous quotes lately? He's stated he wants out of Carolina and wants to be in a 3-4, there really wasn't any dancing around the question either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
No it doesn't. Neither of them has experience in a 3-4 and Kampman would probably transition better than Peppers. What do the Packers get out of that?

How do you figure Kampman will transition better, because he plays for the Packers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:04 PM    (permalink
Eaglez.Fan
All-Pro

Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eaglez.Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

In his interview with Tiki Barber at the pro-bowl, he clearly said he wants change, and he wants to play in a 3-4.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:11 PM    (permalink
B-Dawk
Veteran

B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.B-Dawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i wonder if there will be a game of chicken between big al and peppers to be the highest paid d player

The way it is

GamerTag : GrubbyPaws (Halo 3, NCAA 09, Madden 09)
B-Dawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:39 PM    (permalink
Whomecouldntbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
I don't see how you could possibly think that Kampman would transition better. Peppers is actually alright in coverage as it is, from the couple of times I've seen him dropped back. And although Kampman is athletic, he's no Peppers.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:43 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He would have to at least drop a few pounds he is what 285? That is one big freaking LB.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:32 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat420 View Post
He would have to at least drop a few pounds he is what 285? That is one big freaking LB.
He's a big freaking guy. He will be freaky as hell if he becomes a linebacker. Please Packers don't sign Peppers

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:02 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, I have to disagree with the consensus. I cannot see a 3-4 team signing him to play OLB. It's totally absurd that people think he can play in coverage as a LB. Dropping back unexpectedly from the DE position is one thing, having to actually play man to man in pass coverage is quite different all together. There is absolutely no way he can stay with a WR probably not even with a TE in man to man defense. He'd be completely out of place even trying it. I'd even question whether or not his pass rushing ability would translate well to the OLB position. Small DE's generally make for the best switches to OLB in a 3-4 not huge DE's.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:50 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Well, I have to disagree with the consensus. I cannot see a 3-4 team signing him to play OLB. It's totally absurd that people think he can play in coverage as a LB. Dropping back unexpectedly from the DE position is one thing, having to actually play man to man in pass coverage is quite different all together. There is absolutely no way he can stay with a WR probably not even with a TE in man to man defense. He'd be completely out of place even trying it. I'd even question whether or not his pass rushing ability would translate well to the OLB position. Small DE's generally make for the best switches to OLB in a 3-4 not huge DE's.
How many 3-4 OLB's do you think can stay with a WR in man to man? That's a mis-match waiting to happen for the offense, Merriman isn't going to cover a WR one on one either...That, and he's not going to be in coverage primarily, he can drop back into zone, but I can't think of many 3-4 schemes that ask their OLB's to play man to man coverage all game instead of rush the passer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:53 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Small DE's generally make for the best switches to OLB in a 3-4 not huge DE's.
No, athletic defensive ends make the best switches. Size is only one aspect of that. Considering that Peppers has been one of the very most athletic defensive ends in the league and has displayed pretty fantastic range in pursuit at times, I'm not sure what the problem is. There's plenty of 34 outside linebackers that mostly only rush the passer and are protected in coverage and Peppers should make a damn good one.
Paranoidmoonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:55 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
How do you figure Kampman will transition better, because he plays for the Packers?
Or maybe it's because that Kampman already has ideal height and weight for the position, while Peppers could be too tall at 6'7".

Or maybe it's because Kampman played LB for 4 years of highschool and 2 in college at Iowa, while Peppers has played DL his whole life.

Nope, it's because I'm a homer.

Neither guy has played in the system so there isn't much to go by at this point, but it's perfectly reasonable to think Kampman fits the position better than Peppers.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:41 PM    (permalink
MarioPalmer
Veteran

MarioPalmer MarioPalmer MarioPalmer MarioPalmer MarioPalmer MarioPalmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Have you not listened to any of his previous quotes lately? He's stated he wants out of Carolina and wants to be in a 3-4, there really wasn't any dancing around the question either.

Thats exactly right, he specifically mentioned the 34 by name. That, to me, is a very strong message sent out to GMs and Coaches trying to talk their owners into signing him.

I wouldn't be entirely suprised if the Cardinals went after him after letting Boldin walk. In Arizona he could be a hybrid DE/OLB that I think best suits him especially if it gives him time get his experience in making the transition.
MarioPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:13 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You do realize that when you're that fast and athletic that there is no such thing as "too big" in the NFL?

Peppers would be a beast in a 3-4.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:13 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

he'd be a terrible 3-4 OLB. No leverage in pass rush and would likely be terrible in pass coverage.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:52 PM    (permalink
BlueGoldGreen
Rookie

BlueGoldGreen hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

He wants to play DE in a 3-4 not OLB.
BlueGoldGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:54 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGoldGreen View Post
He wants to play DE in a 3-4 not OLB.
You would be wrong.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:48 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
You do realize that when you're that fast and athletic that there is no such thing as "too big" in the NFL?

Peppers would be a beast in a 3-4.
There is a such thing as molds though. Peppers exemplifies the ideal 4-3 defensive end. Has everything you look for at that position. The idea of a 6'8 280 pound defensive end running a 4.6 is disgusting, but it's not unnatural. The idea of a 6'8 280 pound linebacker rushing the passer and making plays in coverage...I just can't see that. If anyone could do it it would be Peppers, but until he does I'm just going to have to assume he can't. Probably a stupid reason, but whatever.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote