Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 02-11-2009, 02:05 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyx02 View Post
Im refusing to watch ESPN for the next 3 days because of Favre. i cant take this again.
They have already started the all day Favreathon on NFLN. It is sad because the other day my boss and I were complaining about how the only thing on ESPN is the A-Rod steriods situation and now we will get an onslaught of Farve.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:11 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapo123
the following need to be let go of
mark roman
aubrayo franklin
ron fields
ahmed brooks
shawntee spencer ( unless he is fully recovered )
jonas jennings
barry sims
tony wragge
jto
jaimer martin
deshaun foster
and last but not least alex smith
I agree with Roman, Jennings, JTO (UFA), Martin (UFA) and Foster (UFA) being released or not re-signed. I disagree with letting Franklin, Fields and Spencer being let go. As for Sims and Wragge, if they're cheap, I would keep them for depth purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapo123
sign
jeff garcia - 1 yr deal to push hill
derrick ward - better than foster
hank baskett - morgan will get a chance to start plus bruce will be 37 and who knows if johnston will be back.
jason brown - replaces wragge
dawan landry or jim leonard - baltimore can't bring everyone back.
I would love Garcia as the veteran backup but I honestly dont see it happening. Ward is going to want a god payday and I prefer NOT to be the team to give it to him. Besides, if I was going to spend money on a backup RB, his name would be Darren Sproles. We have Clayton (who better be on the roster for 2009) and Robinson. I would most likely stay with them unless I can get a steal in the draft. Baskett is okay but we have Hill and Morgan who I want to see play and not have their playing time cut. Bruce will most likely be back and im actually hoping we re-sign Johnson who played well once Hill became the starter. Quite honestly, WR wise, I would most likely stay with who we have. Brown is a starter if im correct and considering who we already have, why would we go after him? We have Staley, Rachal, Snyder, Baas and Heitmann. Signing/drafting a RT already ensures that one of the previously mentioned five will be a bench player so why would we go after Brown? I wouldnt mind Landry but him being 100% is definitely a concern. Again, I would just stay with who I have for the time being excluding Roman of course.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:15 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just want to chime in about the Jets/Favre -

If im running the Jets, I would simply release Favre because I have a feeling he's going to do the same crap to the Jets that he did to the Packers. Save yourself the trouble and headache, release Favre and let him do whatever he wants to do or go where he wants to go.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:18 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Here's an interestng article from PFT -

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...ripple-effect/

If we decide to draft a NT at number 10, would anyone here be willing to trade it to NE for NT Vince Wilfork???
Old 02-11-2009, 02:40 PM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think Id rather have Raji and not have to pay for an older and more expensive Wilfork. Now if we took a RT at 10 Id trade our 2nd rounder
woodyx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:40 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would be open to the idea, but it would depend on his salary expectations. He's a proven guy though, whereas with a rookie, as we painfully know, there is a boom or bust factor.

However, this sounds like an unrealistic situation as I don't believe the Patriots would trade Wilfork for the 10th pick in the draft. It doesn't make sense from a financial standpoint as they would pay whomever they drafted at 10 more money than what Wilfork is owed next season.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:41 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyx02 View Post
I think Id rather have Raji and not have to pay for an older and more expensive Wilfork. Now if we took a RT at 10 Id trade our 2nd rounder
That makes more sense for both teams.

Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

Old 02-11-2009, 02:56 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd trade #10 for Wilfork in a heartbeat. He was the pick I wanted years ago, when we passed and later drafted Rashaun Woods. That draft still haunts me. I was shocked he was even available. Then I heard we traded back and I was crushed. Then I ended up throwing up in my buddies bathroom and passed out. That draft SUCKED!

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
I'd trade #10 for Wilfork in a heartbeat. He was the pick I wanted years ago, when we passed and later drafted Rashaun Woods. That draft still haunts me. I was shocked he was even available. Then I heard we traded back and I was crushed. Then I ended up throwing up in my buddies bathroom and passed out. That draft SUCKED!
Ahhhhhh Precious Memories!

Old 02-11-2009, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would still rather draft Raji he will be cheaper and will be a great NT.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:59 PM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
So, you want to get rid of the only nose tackles we have and two of the three RTs on the roster? Not to mention Wragge, who is great for our O-line depth.
let balmer take over nt and sopo. im sure raji is the guy sf is targeting right now as well.
chapo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:59 PM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
That's why your not in charge.
coming from the guy who thinks alex will be sf answer to all
chapo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:06 PM    (permalink
Zyro_1014
Pro Bowler

Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapo123 View Post
you dont read anything he says then.

he has not one time said that Smith is the answer in SF...he was a number 1 overall pick! Hes got all the tools to be great for you and Menardo feels he needs to at least be given a chance to fight for the job with Hill.

if he comes back, hes taking a pay cut if im not mistaken.
Zyro_1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:18 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2009/2/1...nd-wants-draft

Good read on the off-season needs. I can't say I don't agree with the idea of taking Everette Brown or Orakpo at 10.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:24 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat
I agree with you now but back then, I wanted Woods since we lost Owens and Streets and needed a WR for Rattay. Sadly, Woods sucked. Too bad Wilfork wasnt available in the 2005 NFL Draft when Nolan took over, we would probably have our NT. Oh well, what's done is done.

I've been pissed and disappointed at times and I hope that you're joking but if not, I have never been close to throwing up or passing out over what my 49ers do. At least we still have Sopo and Lee from that draft which is better than nothing.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:48 PM    (permalink
thediggler3030
Veteran

thediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairthediggler3030 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
http://www.ninersnation.com/2009/2/1...nd-wants-draft

Good read on the off-season needs. I can't say I don't agree with the idea of taking Everette Brown or Orakpo at 10.
Yeah I wouldn't mind taking them either. The more I think about it I just want to go defense with the first pick. I think we could address all of the offensive needs in the second and third rounds.

Defensive possibilities:
1.Jenkins
2.Raji
3.Orakpo
4. Brown

Offensive possibilities:
1. Oher
2. Smith
3. Maclin
4. Sanchez

I would be split deciding between the fourth guy on the defensive list (Brown) vs. the first guy on the offensive list (Oher), just because I think we could get a great RT later and I don't want to pay our RT top ten money.

One solution would be to draft an OT to play RT for a year and then move him over to LT and put Staley back on the right side. But seems like a lot of maneuvering just to sort out payments of different positions.
thediggler3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:25 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
I've been pissed and disappointed at times and I hope that you're joking but if not, I have never been close to throwing up or passing out over what my 49ers do. At least we still have Sopo and Lee from that draft which is better than nothing.
HAHA. I wasn't throwing up and passing out from the draft. It was from a massive amount of 49er-inspired Red&Gold shots (Johnny Walker Red and Goldschlager in a double-shot glass) and a ton of beer. We do a shot to open the draft, a shot when the 9ers get "on the clock" and a celebratory shot after the pick along with beers in between as the draft is moving forward. Well, we traded down twice so we had extra shots for "on the clock" picks and a bunch of beers waiting for our pick and by the time we took Woods, I was done.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:18 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

^^^^^

Jeez, drink much??? LOL.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:13 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thediggler3030 View Post
One solution would be to draft an OT to play RT for a year and then move him over to LT and put Staley back on the right side. But seems like a lot of maneuvering just to sort out payments of different positions.
I agree that the only way it would make sense "traditionally" (I say that because who knows if the 49ers want to buck the trend) would be for them to move the Tackle drafted at #10 to the LEFT side and move Staley back to the right. "Traditionally" LT's not only make more money but have a much higher draft value.

That being said, one of the major problems the 49ers have had along the offensive line as a whole has been a terrible lack of continuity. Moving the players around like that could potentially do more harm than good.

When you look at the line from left to right, you can finally see growth and I'm certain that continuity has played a major roll in that.

Joe Staley. Has started 16 games at LT.
David Baas. Has started 11 games at LG.
Chilo Rachal. Has stated 6 games at RG.

Eric Heitman has been at the Center position the entire time the aforementioned players have been in the NFL.

The 49ers obviously need a RT. Whatever they do, they need to set this unit. Because, I feel the talent is definitely there. They just need to play alongside each other in order to grow and begin to dominate as a unit, not just pieces.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:21 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapo123 View Post
Reading comp is key you should learn. Really nice article.

Last edited by Menardo75 : 02-11-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:28 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
49er-inspired Red&Gold shots (Johnny Walker Red and Goldschlager in a double-shot glass)
Holy **** you are on to something here. I am keeping that one in mind next season.

Anyway, I hope it's Brown or Orakpo in round one. BPA NT/FS/RT for the next three rounds after that I dont care.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:55 AM    (permalink
Fogcity_faithful
Rookie

Fogcity_faithful hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

For Borat, that is intense. Red and Gold Shots sound like a doozy, plus as you mentioned we were on the clock quite often before the pick that draft, and god do those 1st rounds take forever, Goddell did some good shortening the time.
Secondly moving Staley back to RT works on paper and all that, but I think it would cause more harm to our line than good. I think a NT early would be a great idea, and a RT in the second. Possible one of the top OT falls through the first, or maybe trade back up to grab one later in the first.
I also wanted Wilfork, more so knowing that Rashaun was horrible. Coming out he looked like he could solidify WR for us, sadness
Fogcity_faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:57 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Holy **** you are on to something here. I am keeping that one in mind next season.
Careful my friend. But you must do what you must do for your team.

Quote:
Anyway, I hope it's Brown or Orakpo in round one. BPA NT/FS/RT for the next three rounds after that I dont care.
I'm firmly in the Orakpo camp if we don't go OT. I need to see more from Brown although I've been seeing some DeMarcus Ware comps and that makes me wet in pants.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:27 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
I'm firmly in the Orakpo camp if we don't go OT. I need to see more from Brown although I've been seeing some DeMarcus Ware comps and that makes me wet in pants.
What I keep reading is Orakpo:Brown::Merriman:Ware, which interests me.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:29 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
What I keep reading is Orakpo:Brown::Merriman:Ware, which interests me.
I would say those are very favorable comparisons.