Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 02-12-2009, 11:33 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
I would say those are very favorable comparisons.
Maybe but they're being seen as better prospects now, than those two were when they were drafted in 2005. Ware and Merriman were 11 and 12, respectively. We're talking about these two going before pick 10.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:49 AM    (permalink
Fogcity_faithful
Rookie

Fogcity_faithful hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If either of these two prospects turn out to be like Ware or Merriman, minus the cheating we could use either of the two
Fogcity_faithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:52 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Maybe but they're being seen as better prospects now, than those two were when they were drafted in 2005. Ware and Merriman were 11 and 12, respectively. We're talking about these two going before pick 10.
Lets hope they are that good. Or atleast one of them.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:53 AM    (permalink
Fogcity_faithful
Rookie

Hopefully the one wearing Red and Gold
Old 02-12-2009, 11:55 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogcity_faithful View Post
Hopefully the one wearing Red and Gold
That's what I was getting at haha. My worry is that Orakpo will test really well and shoot into the top five, and that the Packers take Everette Brown.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:10 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I said this a couple of months ago, but I think Orakpo is going top 5. He's got everything you want when committing to a huge money contract. He's super athletic, super powerful, and is smart with a good head on his shoulders. He'll be perceived as very safe and that will help vault him into the top 5.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:20 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The more I see the more I like. "Good heavens it's Everette Brown" haha.

Last edited by Brent : 02-12-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:12 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Orakpo turns out to be the workout warrior everyone is projecting him to be, then I see him off the board before 10 for sure. That may be good for the Niners, as they won't have to consider the possible Vernon Gholston (or Vernon Davis) of this year's draft. On the other hand, Crabtree with his skillset may just overshadow Orakpo altogether.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with 12 Picks in the Draft

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:32 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post

The more I see the more I like. "Good heavens it's Everette Brown" haha.
It's really hard to not want him when watching that.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:42 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Everette Brown: DO WANT

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:43 PM    (permalink
goonie61
Rookie

goonie61 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Everette Brown would be a great pick, my only question is how well he can hold up in the running game. I think Orakpo is overrate because of his workout numbers.
If we take anyone else except for Brown, Raji, Crabtree, or a top OT I will be upset, period. No-one else, not Orakpo not Sanchez not Maulougala no one else but those guys.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:16 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Everette Brown reminds me of Manny Lawson
Old 02-12-2009, 02:49 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post
Except that Manny hasn't been any sort of threat as a pass rusher since he was drafted. Keep in mind that Manny was on the same D-Line as Mario Williams and John McCargo, both 1st round picks. Hell, they even take Manny out of the game when it's a "passing down" for the other team.

Honestly, I think that with someone like Brown or Orakpo on one side and Parys on the other, we have two threats at both OLB positions and makes the defense even more dangerous, you can hide a lot of your weaknesses with a strong pass rush.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:50 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post
I think Everette Brown is a little more polished as a pass rusher. Maybe it's because he's got a bigger bag of tricks on the edge i'm not sure. I just remember Manny at NC State being a 'pure' speed rusher, whereas Everette can turn the corner on you, but that spin move and club are pretty vicious.

The more I look at him, the more it pulls me out of the Raji camp.

Either way I think i'm sold on Loadholt in the second, which would allow us to go defense in the first.
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:56 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

The next passrush move Manny uses will be his first. That spin move that Brown uses is legit. He made some of those lineman look silly in that video that Brent posted.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:04 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
The next passrush move Manny uses will be his first. That spin move that Brown uses is legit. He made some of those lineman look silly in that video that Brent posted.
He was using it on LTs and guards! He's nasty. He took over that Maryland game.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:12 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2am View Post
Either way I think i'm sold on Loadholt in the second, which would allow us to go defense in the first.
There's no guarantee that Loadholt will be there in the 2nd. It's a risk to go defense, hoping that someone will be there in the 2nd, but if they get a solid player like Everette Brown, I won't be upset at all.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with 12 Picks in the Draft

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:13 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Are some of you suggesting that Lawson be benched if we draft Brown??? If so, I say hell no. The ONLY reason as to why Lawson isnt used as a pass rusher and why he's taken out on passing downs is because the coaching staff doesnt know how to use him correctly. The reason why he was drafted was to be a pass rusher but when the play calls for him to be in coverage all the damn time, how can anyone expect him to succeed as a pass rusher???
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:21 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Ehhh, Lawson just isn't that good. I think he could still be a force, but so far, I haven't really seen it. As stated before, he doesn't really have any pass-rushing moves and his speed rush doesn't work very often. Either way, having Brown/Orakpo along with Haralson and Manny isn't a bad thing. We definitely need an upgrade to the pass rush. That isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for what Lawson has done so far.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:55 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From day one, Lawson has been misused badly just like Vernon Davis. It's no coicidence that both of our first rounders from 2006 have been misused by the coaching staff. How can Lawson improve his pass rushing skills when he's always in coverage???

Sorry, but I think its on the coaching staff than it is Lawson.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:00 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
From day one, Lawson has been misused badly just like Vernon Davis. It's no coicidence that both of our first rounders from 2006 have been misused by the coaching staff. How can Lawson improve his pass rushing skills when he's always in coverage???

The reason why he doesn't rush the passer is because he has a speed rush and that's it. To his credit and ours he is actually a very good linebacker. He is very solid against the run and very good in coverage.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:24 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75
The reason why he doesn't rush the passer is because he has a speed rush and that's it. To his credit and ours he is actually a very good linebacker. He is very solid against the run and very good in coverage.
I understand what you and Borat are saying but how can Lawson improve his pass rushing ability if he's always in coverage? You both say he only has a speed rush but seriously, how else is he going to expand his move set if he's always in coverage? He's not going to improve pass rushing against our OL in practice and whatnot. I think that Lawson can still be a premier pass rusher but the coaching staff needs to blitz and rush him more than they do. Maybe, if they did that, he wouldnt just be a speed rusher.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:06 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
How can Lawson improve his pass rushing skills when he's always in coverage???

He can improve by working on it in practice and the off-season, just like every other player who wants to get better.

Quote:
I think that Lawson can still be a premier pass rusher but the coaching staff needs to blitz and rush him more than they do. Maybe, if they did that, he wouldnt just be a speed rusher.
They used to blitz him and he didn't do well, he's barely 240lbs and doesn't have any moves. Why keep sending a guy on the blitz if he's not getting results? Why not play to his strengths (coverage and run stop)?

Old 02-12-2009, 06:12 PM    (permalink
Fogcity_faithful
Rookie

Brown is a dominating force, Orakpo will be gone before we pick. I doubt there is no OT in the 2nd. Loadholt should be there.
Also a Manny fan, not sure if he is the pass rusher we thought he was, correction nolan thought. Nolan wanted him to be Suggs and he isnt. Because we have manny we dont pass on either of those two, unless it is for a NT
Old 02-12-2009, 06:17 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Yep. I still have hopes for Manny to become more dominant, but there is no way in hell that I'd pass on Brown/Orakpo just because we have Manny. That would be a big mistake. I'd only pass on Brown/Orakpo for one of the premier OTs and lately I've been leaning toward the OLB/passrusher anyway.