Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 02-16-2009, 11:59 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
And I dont see him in DAL because I dont see T.O. getting released or traded because doing so would cause DAL t take a cap hit of $8m which would leave them with $2m or so in cap room and in no way, shape or form are the Cowboys going to be able to extend Ware with only $2m in cap room.

With 3-4 DE Chris Canty a UFA and not expected to stay in DAL, anyone here interested in him? I'm 50/50 and rather have Igor Olshansky because he played with Manusky but what do you guys think?
Your T.O. numbers are WAAAAAY off. It will cost Dallas only an extra $500-$600K to cut T.O. His current cap charge is approximately in the mid-to-high $8M and his charge after getting cut would be somewhere in the mid-to-low $9M.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:09 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Where does Balmer fit in? And if he doesnt, any chance we could trade him?
He was just the team's 1st round pick. I think he should be given a little more time before he's given up on and traded. With that said, he would have very little value even if that was a good idea. At this point he looks to be a 3-4 DE with the 49ers but perhaps is most natural as a 4-3 DT. I'm willing to be patient with the guy considering interior lineman don't typically have an immediate impact in the NFL. Look at Albert Haynesworth for instance. Prior to the last 2 seasons he was best known for stomping Andre Gurode, most definitely NOT for being a dominant interior presence... and his rookie year was 2002.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:21 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Prior to the last 2 seasons he was best known for stomping Andre Gurode, most definitely NOT for being a dominant interior presence... and his rookie year was 2002.
Two words: contract years.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:40 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

With 3-4 DE Chris Canty a UFA and not expected to stay in DAL, anyone here interested in him? I'm 50/50 and rather have Igor Olshansky because he played with Manusky but what do you guys think?

Was thinking about Canty as well but his agent is looking for Tommy Kelly money. Igor would be a good idea, forgot Manusky coached him. I wonder if he will get a deal similar to Issac's.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:46 AM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A few tidbits on the QB situation from the 49ers PR thingy:
49ers aren't ruling out Vick:
Quote:
"I'm not going to say I'm open or closed," Singletary said of the possibility of the 49ers acquiring Vick. "I'd say it has to be something Scot (McCloughan) and I talk about and feel good about one way or the other. But we have not talked about it at this point in great detail. We're trying to focus on what we have.

"I think right now we really need to look at the two guys we have," Singletary added. "If everything works out with Alex and he's back, we need to look at that and go as far as we can go with that. The whole Michael Vick thing, we have to sit down and talk about that. But for right now, we have enough on our plates
Also if Alex is back he will be given a shot at the job
Quote:
Singletary said he is focusing on a possible QB competition matching Hill against Smith. He said the competition will not be a drawn-out affair. He said it will also be different than a year ago because Hill and Smith will be on equal footing. Singletary said there was only one QB who knew the system a year ago, and that was J.T. O'Sullivan.

Also on taking a QB at 10
Quote:
"That's something we'd have to talk long and hard about, actually," Singletary said.
Very insightful. I wish some 49ers season ticket holder had the balls to ask if the 49ers had to choose between B.J. or Sanchez who would they take.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:02 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Balmer is going to be a lot better next year. Towards the end of the year he was getting a lot more PT.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:26 AM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
I think Balmer is going to be a lot better next year. Towards the end of the year he was getting a lot more PT.
That was always what we expected (hoped). Despite being a Senior he was still very raw when he came to the team and then was asked to move around the line.

Any guesses on his final position? I don't think he'll adapt so well to the game of musical positions Nolan loved so I think it should be DE.
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:24 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In a 3-4 defense Balmer should play DE. He, Isaac Sopoaga at NT, and Justin Smith at DE would give us a good enough defensive line.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:54 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
A few tidbits on the QB situation from the 49ers PR thingy:
49ers aren't ruling out Vick:

I'm truly not a fan of this Michael Vick business.

There is currently a rumor floating around that the 49ers actually visited Vick at Leavenworth.

Why would the 49ers and a new coach even consider such a PR nightmare?
Old 02-17-2009, 11:05 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
There is currently a rumor floating around that the 49ers actually visited Vick at Leavenworth.
That sounds like the biggest load of BS ever.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:20 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
That sounds like the biggest load of BS ever.
I agree but you've already seen how quickly these BS stories get legs.

Adam Schefter writes a blog while half asleep.
+Fans read it
+Coach Singletary is asked about it
ESPN reports 49ers are interested in Vick.

It's sad.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:25 PM    (permalink
Fogcity_faithful
Rookie

Fogcity_faithful hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The vick thing should only really be considered if he is reinstated. On Igor he also grew up in the city and went to St. Ignatius. So that along with Manusky could make us a great candidate
Old 02-17-2009, 12:29 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes, please bring in Igor. Any upgrade on the DLine is very much welcomed.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:14 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would rather let Balmer get a chance.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:20 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Deuce McAllister anyone?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3913182
Old 02-17-2009, 01:54 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat
Your T.O. numbers are WAAAAAY off. It will cost Dallas only an extra $500-$600K to cut T.O. His current cap charge is approximately in the mid-to-high $8M and his charge after getting cut would be somewhere in the mid-to-low $9M.
Thats not what I have read. With Owens signing an extension prior to last season, he's still due a lot of signing bonus money and since the signing bonus money is guaranteed, releasing him would cause a huge cap hit for DAL. I read this in the DAL forum who know a lot more than we do about Owens contract. If it was really only $500k or so, I think that they would have released him already.

Either way, it doesnt matter. T.O. may be an asshole but he's not the only problem in DAL. He's just one of the problems.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:03 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The day that Vick becomes a 49er is the day that Bill Walsh turns in his grave, the day that Montana, Young and Garcia forget that they were ever a 49er to begin with and the day that I stop being a 49ers fan. Enough said.

As for Igor, if he can be signed at a good price, I wouldnt mind him and rather have him over Canty. I still cant believe the crappy Raiders giving Kelly that contract. Thats nuts.

No thanks to McAllister or Taylor.

WOW!!! Sullivan was the only one who knew the system??? Thats just sad. Hill easily outplays him while NOT knowing the system. Makes you wonder how good Hill would play if he did know the system and makes you wonder how much worse Sullivan would have played if he didnt know the system.

Oh well, SHAUN HILL 2009 FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:09 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Thats not what I have read. With Owens signing an extension prior to last season, he's still due a lot of signing bonus money and since the signing bonus money is guaranteed, releasing him would cause a huge cap hit for DAL. I read this in the DAL forum who know a lot more than we do about Owens contract. If it was really only $500k or so, I think that they would have released him already.

Either way, it doesnt matter. T.O. may be an asshole but he's not the only problem in DAL. He's just one of the problems.
Well, I posted this question in the Dallas board:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Can you guys settle something for me? I was under the impression that cutting T.O. would cause a real minor cap hit of $500-700K on top of his salary (something like $8-9M). Someone else is trying to tell me that the cap hit would be over $8M on top of his $8-9M salary). I know I'm right, but I'm looking for some confirmation from you guys. So ... amirite?
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
You're right...it would cost us $680 K.

I really dont think it's going to happen, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
MOTH is right. Our cap hit would be about $9 million if released. His salary & bonuses if he stays would be about $8.3 million.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:14 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it is time to end the TO talk.... He is not coming here, so give it up.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:18 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post
I think it is time to end the TO talk.... He is not coming here, so give it up.
Who said anything about T.O. coming here?

Old 02-17-2009, 04:34 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Probably Dan.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:36 PM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

I just don't get why everyone is talking about him. This is the 49er off-season discussion, not the Cowboys'.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post
I just don't get why everyone is talking about him. This is the 49er off-season discussion, not the Cowboys'.
Relax. Dan's point was about the Cowboys not having enough money to re-sign Chris Canty, which could potentially be a Dline target for the 9ers.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:23 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eff TO and Canty isn't as good a fit as Igor. If Balmer successfully locks up a starting DE spot in the 3-4, having him, Smith and Sopo with McDonald for depth isn't a bad line. Canty wouldn't be much of a in improvement, especially for overpaying him as a FA.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:44 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

I actually really like Canty and would prefer him to Igor if we were going to sign one of them.