Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 02-15-2009, 06:56 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Be honest: Millen Years which picks did you agree with.

OK guys be honest here I want to see what the NFLDC community WOULD have done in each pick (as seen separately). During Millen's tenure.Go back as far as you covered the draft. REMEMBER THIS ISN'T WOULDA COULDA SHOULDA if you would have made a bad pick say it loudly.

2008 - Detroit Lions
Rd Sel # Player Position School
1 17 Gosder Cherilus T Boston College - I liked Goz but Brandon Albert would have been 10X better.
2 45 Jordon Dizon OLB Colorado - HATE HATE HATE when Scott explained it it changed my mind a bit but meh never really liked it. Dan Connor was a better pick as was Calais Campbell.
3 64 Kevin Smith RB Central Florida - I wasn't as big on Smith but it ended up being a great pick and I don't see anyone that I was full boar on (except Connor but we had Dizon).
3 87 Andre Fluellen DT Florida State - I liked Harrison much better Anthony Collins I liked better Red Bryant I liked better.
3 92 Cliff Avril LB Purdue - Thought it was a steal.
5 136 Kenny Moore WR Wake Forest -Frank Okam was a big mancrush of mine.
5 146 Jerome Felton FB Furman - Owen Schmitt big mancrush of mine
7 216 Landon Cohen DE Ohio U. - 7th round don't care
7 218 Caleb Campbell DB Army - 7th round don't care

2007 - Detroit Lions
1 2 Calvin Johnson WR Georgia Tech - Wanted Gaines Adams.
2 43 Drew Stanton QB Michigan State - Liked it.
2 58 Ikaika Alama-Francis DE Hawaii - At the time I was like WTF!?!? I would have rather had Quinten Moses.
2 61 Gerald Alexander FS Boise State - I wanted Tanard Jackson
4 105 A.J. Davis CB North Carolina State -
4 117 Manny Ramirez G Texas Tech - Loved the pick
5 158 Johnny Baldwin LB Alabama A&M - didn't care but was shocked that HB Blades lasted this long.
7 255 Ramzee Robinson CB Alabama - 7th round don't care.

2006 - Detroit Lions
1 9 Ernie Sims OLB Florida Stat - At the time I liked the pick didn't love it. At first I wanted a Safty but they were both gone. So I would have picked ... Winston Justice Millen got me there.
2 40 Daniel Bullocks SS Nebraska - Liked the pick.
3 74 Brian Calhoun RB Wisconsin - Didn't like it I would have picked Brodie Croyell or David Pitmann here
5 141 Jonathan Scott T Texas - LOVED the pick.
6 179 Dee McCann CB West Virginia - Was indifferent didn't feel either way.
7 217 Fred Matua G USC - Liked the pick
7 247 Anthony Cannon LB Tulane - Didn't care

I didn't follow the draft till 2006

2005 - Detroit Lions
1 10 Mike Williams WR USC
2 37 Shaun Cody DE USC
3 72 Stanley Wilson DB Stanford
5 145 Dan Orlovsky QB Connecticut
6 184 Bill Swancutt DE Oregon State
6 206 Johnathan Goddard LB Marshall

2004 - Detroit Lions
1 7 Roy Williams WR Texas
1 30 Kevin Jones RB Virginia Tech
2 37 Teddy Lehman OLB Oklahoma
3 73 Keith Smith CB McNeese State
5 140 Alex Lewis LB Wisconsin
6 172 Kelly Butler T Purdue

2003 - Detroit Lions
1 2 Charles Rogers WR Michigan State
2 34 Boss Bailey OLB Georgia
3 66 Cory Redding DE Texas
4 99 Artose Pinner RB Kentucky
5 137 Terrence Holt DB North Carolina State
5 144 James Davis LB West Virginia
6 175 David Kircus WR Grand Valley State
7 216 Ben Johnson T Wisconsin
7 220 Blue Adams CB Cincinnati
7 236 Brandon Drumm -- Colorado
7 260 Travis Anglin -- Memphis

2002 - Detroit Lions
1 3 Joey Harrington QB Oregon
2 35 Kalimba Edwards DE South Carolina
3 68 Andre' Goodman DB South Carolina
4 134 John Taylor DE Montana State
5 138 John Owens TE Notre Dame
6 175 Chris Cash CB USC
7 214 Luke Staley RB Brigham Young
7 252 Matt Murphy TE Maryland
7 259 Victor Rogers G Colorado

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:22 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I was a very casual fan of the NFL draft (only cared about #1 pick) in 2002 and got more interested the next yr and then full-blown obsessed starting in 2004.

In 2002, I was pretty happy with Joey, I liked Peppers a lot because of watching him battle for boards on the b-ball court but I really didnt think that J-Pep and Joey would turn out the way they did. Call me crazy, but I still think the Joey pick is what was smart to do, much like this yr and Stafford.

In 2003 the main argument was Chuck or Andre Johnson. I thought Chuck was a better pick for a couple of different reasons, but his HUGE potential was lost amongst his injuries, coaching/system (remember when the coaches had him bulk up to 220), and drugs/bad work ethic. This pick could have been much better. I liked the Boss pick, I thought he'd be a huge contributor with amazing athletic ability.

2004 - well, I really wanted Sean Taylor, RIP, and then Winslow Jr., but that trade was pretty sweet and then I wanted DeAngelo Hall. Roy wasnt too dissapointing, but I still had high hopes for Chuck so I didnt see the neccessity of another 1st wr. I also really wanted Vilma, but knew that we needed another trade back from #7 to accomplish this. Later in the 1st I was praying for S-Jax, he was soooo much better than KJones, IMO, and got huge excited when there was a trade anounced, but it was the Rams that made the move.

My greatest dissapointment from this draft was our selection of Lehman, I was superiorly pissed when we drafted him over Troupe, I still am, and then when Millen said the reason he drafted him was because Teddy reminded him of himself, wow that sill makes me mad!

2005 - BFMW, threw some stuff and punched a wall. wanted Derrick Johnson, but my number 1 choice would've been Antrell Rolle if he were still available. In the 2nd, I was mad again at Shaun Cody's selection. I was hoping that we'd draft Odell Thurman, I have believed for quite awhile that we really need a presence at MLB and liked his potential. I was also really hoping for Pool to fall to us, but I knew it was a longshot. In the 3rd, I once again praying for a MLB to fall to us in Crowder, but was dissapointed. When we picked Wilson, I was kind of indifferent, I liked his speed and was hoping that he could turn into a decent starter. I was hoping to get Ray Willis, as I thought he'd be a good fit at RT for us, I remeber reading that he was probably the best RT available and a great run-mauler. He was gone by our next pick. Didnt like Dan O, wanted Adrian McPherson instead as a QB, really like Boley for our need at OLB.

2006 - This was the year that I started hoping for us to upgrade our LT, I wanted the Brick house or Hawk to play MLB, but I knew they'd both be gone. My realistic want was, or so I thought, was for Huff. When our selection rolled around I thought we were in a great position, as there were offers on the table from Baltimore and Denver. I thought that we should've swapped with Baltimore and get their 2nd(rumored to be on the table and confirmed from Millen). They wanted Ngata and I thought we could still get a great player and probably Sims at #13. I thought picking Sims was too early, especially with Leinhart on the table, but I liked Sims a lot so I wasnt too upset othern than missing out on the trade.

In the 2nd I was hoping for D'qwell Jackson, Demeco Ryans, Jimmy Williams, Ko Simpson, Marcus McNeil, and Winston Justice in that order. All were gone other than Simpson and McNeil so I thought it was an easy pick of Simpson because Safety was a bigger need at that time and McNeil had questions about a narrow spine.

In the 3rd, I was pissed once again and wanted Norwood and his speed. Norwood just looked like a pimp in his film, IMO, so I would've liked him there so we could dump K Jones. Our next few picks, in the 5th I wasnt a Scott fan, but was just happy that we finanly drafted an OLineman. I liked the Matua pick for the same reason. I wanted Eslinger instead of McCann, but didnt know too much of McCann to get mad.

2007 - Really wanted a trade down to get P. Willis. I'm a huge Ole Miss fan and loved his highlight reel. His Senior bowl followed up by his combine and pro day #'s really had me seeing him in my dreams. I knew Calvin was gonna be special, but I thought Willis would have more of an impact overall on our franchise then Calvin would. I also wanted Joe Thomas more than Calvin if we couldnt trade out of #2 'cuz I thought Thomas would've been a bigger upgrade over Backus than Calvin over Roy. plus I believed that we already proved that you shouldnt build a team with 1st rd WRs.

In the 2nd, when Posluszny fell I wanted to jump on him bad, but then we traded down and got Stanton. I liked Stanton, as I thought that we were gonna miss out on him but got him after moving back. Our next pick, when we moved up I thought for sure it was for Kalil to play OG for us and then take over for Raiola. I didnt like the IAF pick as I thought it was way to early for him. Next we traded up for Alexander and I really hated this, because I thought it was at least 2 rounds early for him. I wanted Quentin Moses there or Marcus McCauley or Daymeion Hughes ( thought he'd be a peferct fit in the cover 2).

In the 4th, i didnt like AJ Davis, I wanted Tanard Jackson ( I thought he'd be a CB in the cover-2). With ManRam, I liked the idea of drafting OLine, but always questioned why take a OG that was from a pure passing team, but couldnt pass block?

5th, wanted HB Blades over Baldwin. I lied the Blades connection and his production at Pitt.

2008 - hated pretty much everything about it other than the 3rd round. In the 1st I still cant believe that we drafted Gosder over Albert and Otah. I wasnt a big Otah fan, but I liekd him a lot better than Gosder. The thing that killed me was the fact that we had the offer from both the ravens and Panthers, and we definately should have taken either of them. I really wanted the Panthers deal. At 17, I wanted Mendenhall.

hated Dizon and wanted Connor. 3rd round was good. after that I hated the rest of it.

Last edited by woodnick : 02-15-2009 at 10:00 PM.
woodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:08 AM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

2008 - Detroit Lions
1 17 Gosder Cherilus T Boston College - This pick ran through my mind a few times leading up to the draft. I really think this was the ultimate safe pick because we could have gone with two guys with a higher upside in Otah and Albert. I didn't like much of what I saw from Cherilus this year, but his nasty demeanor was still present and thats something you can't coach.

3 64 Kevin Smith RB Central Florida - Amazing pick.

3 92 Cliff Avril LB Purdue - Another good pick. He'll win a starting spot this year.

7 218 Caleb Campbell DB Army - Really wanted him to be our future SLB. Didn't work out.

2007 - Detroit Lions
1 2 Calvin Johnson WR Georgia Tech - I was fine with this pick after he ran at the combine. Absolute freak of a WR who has never had a good QB.
2 43 Drew Stanton QB Michigan State - I did like the idea of him as the QBOTF. Wasn't treated fairly by Marinelli's staff
2 58 Ikaika Alama-Francis DE Hawaii - Scott had him in the first round for a whilte, would like to see him at UT.

2006 - Detroit Lions

5 141 Jonathan Scott T Texas - Argued against Winston Justice because of him for months. Really thought he'd be a good RT for us.
7 217 Fred Matua G USC - Called this pick in a thread. Thought he was going be a good pick.

2005 - Detroit Lions
I was definitetly won over by Mel Kiper. At this time there was still hope for Charles Rogers

I remember watching him play at Ford Field his senior year and he had a pretty good game. I always thought he could be a starter in this league, and I don't think he's reached his full potential yet.

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:19 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the past is purposely hazy for me but i'll copy-paste yours and try

2008 - Detroit Lions
1 17 Gosder Cherilus T Boston College - i really liked him as a player and although i see the error now in picking a right tackle in the first round, there was a huge run on tackles and i would have done anything to replace george foster.
2 45 Jordon Dizon OLB Colorado - i still have no clue who this guy is, but i defended him because i trusted our coaches.
3 64 Kevin Smith RB Central Florida - i love kevin smith, i wanted him in the 2nd round.
3 87 Andre Fluellen DT Florida State - i wasn't targeting him at all, but since darnell dockett was from fsu i'm all for seeing how he turns out.
3 92 Cliff Avril LB Purdue - i wanted him back in the 2nd round. great pick.
5 136 Kenny Moore WR Wake Forest -who? how about carl nicks, zach bowman, marcus howard, frank okam, or even mike hart for the heck of it instead?
5 146 Jerome Felton FB Furman - being from kalamazoo i'm a fan of TJ Duckett, so this just made me mad.
7 216 Landon Cohen DE Ohio U. -i would have went adrian arrington here, he was my favorite mich receiver even over manningham.
7 218 Caleb Campbell DB Army - i would have picked him here too.

2007 - Detroit Lions
1 2 Calvin Johnson WR Georgia Tech - damn you atlanta falcons for not trading with us and us drafting patrick willis later. but i still love megatron.
2 43 Drew Stanton QB Michigan State - no way would i have passed on david harris. i don't care about our scheme, he'd fit someplace.
2 58 Ikaika Alama-Francis DE Hawaii - no problems with this pick. he didn't quite seem like he fit at the time though.
2 61 Gerald Alexander FS Boise State - i too prefered tanard jackson, quentin moses, and trent edwards.
4 105 A.J. Davis CB North Carolina State -tanard still there, but whatever i trust millen.
4 117 Manny Ramirez G Texas Tech - looked good enough to me.
5 158 Johnny Baldwin LB Alabama A&M - sounded like a guy who could be a leader on defense.
7 255 Ramzee Robinson CB Alabama - i trust alabama defenders.

2006 - Detroit Lions
1 9 Ernie Sims OLB Florida State - no way, undersized walking concussion waiting to happen over michael huff and matt leinart!?!?
2 40 Daniel Bullocks SS Nebraska - loved it
3 74 Brian Calhoun RB Wisconsin - liked it enough
5 141 Jonathan Scott T Texas - loved it, nice guy.
6 179 Dee McCann CB West Virginia - rod wright please
7 217 Fred Matua G USC - good pick.
7 247 Anthony Cannon LB Tulane - rod wright or an auburn receiver

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:54 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm taking a different angle on this ... WOW, seeing it laid out like this really spells out ol' Matty Millen's ineptitude, however you spell it!? It's obvious to me why the team stinks. There is NO CORE to it! If an organization expects success it builds through th draft, right? So this is how many players have been retained in each of these previous drafts .... (on the active roster)
2002 - o
2003 - 2
2004 - 2
2005 - 2 (if Dan O signs elsewhere in FA)

So 6 players. That is it. The core. The leadership. The vets.

Guys like Pinner, Cody, Stanley Wilson ... you know soild starters (choke) who the team has built around. (gasp)
SINCE1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:17 PM    (permalink
casskid
Rookie

casskid hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I started paying attention around 2002 so I'll only do like the first 3 picks/anyone of interest cuz it would be a long boring post

Joey Harrington QB: I liked Peppers and hoped he would fall but I was still pretty excited about this pick. I dont think he ever really fit the system here, and the coaches seemed to hate him as well ( the whole Garcia thing).

Kalimba Edwards Turd: The writing should have been on the wall with this one. Head scratcher then, face palmer now.

Charles Rogers WR: Looked good at the beginning then fell apart, wasnt super happy with the pick but had a beast mode aspect to him for the first couple games.

Boss Bailey some sort of LB: Liked this one alot i thought he would make the team more athletic.

Didnt care for the rest but i liked David Kircus.

Roy Williams/Kevin Jones: Bonerjamz.

Teddy Lehman LB: Again one of those meh, but he should help the team get more athletic type of deals. Injuries certainly curtailed his career more then Bailey but i dont know how high the ceiling was in the first place.

Worst hell on Earth.

Ernie Sims LB: Liked it and still like it. Often out of position and missing tackles this year i think it was because he was trying to do to much. Get a noice DT in there and maybe a stay at home MLB and hes back in business.

Rest of draft: Felt like we drafted a bunch of sleepers and I thought Matua was a steal.

Calvin Johnson Hammer of the Gods: Needed so many other players but still loved this pick.

Round 2: Liked the players but not the places they were selected. Felt we could have gotten all later.

Rounds 4-7: Seemed like we got some good dudes, none panned out.

Gos: Not bad. Preferred Albert or further trade down but he played alright last year and looks like hes improving.

Jordan Dizon: Worst Hell on Earth.

Smith, Fluellen, Avril: Surprised by the quality of this round and almost made me forget the travesty that was Dizon.

Rest: Campbell would have been cool but was look warm to what on everyone else.
casskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:07 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

2008 - Detroit Lions
1 17 Gosder Cherilus T Boston College -
2 45 Jordon Dizon OLB Colorado - HATE HATE HATE when Scott explained it it changed my mind a bit but meh never really liked it. Dan Connor was a better pick as was Calais Campbell.
3 64 Kevin Smith RB Central Florida - I wasn't as big on Smith but it ended up being a great pick and I don't see anyone that I was full boar on (except Connor but we had Dizon).
3 87 Andre Fluellen DT Florida State - I liked Harrison much better Anthony Collins I liked better Red Bryant I liked better.
3 92 Cliff Avril LB Purdue - Thought it was a steal.
5 136 Kenny Moore WR Wake Forest -Frank Okam was a big mancrush of mine.
5 146 Jerome Felton FB Furman - Owen Schmitt big mancrush of mine
7 216 Landon Cohen DE Ohio U. - 7th round don't care
7 218 Caleb Campbell DB Army - 7th round don't care

I hated the 2008 draft especially after Millen made the weirdest move of his tenure as GM by switching places with KC so they could draft the better OT. Very mediocre group IMO.

2007 - Detroit Lions
1 2 Calvin Johnson WR Georgia Tech - Wanted Gaines Adams.
2 43 Drew Stanton QB Michigan State - Liked it.
2 58 Ikaika Alama-Francis DE Hawaii - At the time I was like WTF!?!? I would have rather had Quinten Moses.
2 61 Gerald Alexander FS Boise State - I wanted Tanard Jackson
4 105 A.J. Davis CB North Carolina State -
5 158 Johnny Baldwin LB Alabama A&M - didn't care but was shocked that HB Blades lasted this long.
7 255 Ramzee Robinson CB Alabama - 7th round don't care.

Well, I was strongly for Adam Gaines. The selection of Johnson was pure fear and the desire to take no risks. The rest of the draft made me puke.

2006 - Detroit Lions
1 9 Ernie Sims OLB Florida Stat - At the time I liked the pick didn't love it. At first I wanted a Safty but they were both gone. So I would have picked ... Winston Justice Millen got me there.
2 40 Daniel Bullocks SS Nebraska - Liked the pick.
3 74 Brian Calhoun RB Wisconsin - Didn't like it I would have picked Brodie Croyell or David Pitmann here
5 141 Jonathan Scott T Texas - LOVED the pick.
6 179 Dee McCann CB West Virginia - Was indifferent didn't feel either way.
7 217 Fred Matua G USC - Liked the pick
7 247 Anthony Cannon LB Tulane - Didn't care

I hated the Sims' pick. Extremely small OLB with a history of concussions. I did like the Bullocks pick but the rest left me cold.

2005 - Detroit Lions
2 37 Shaun Cody DE USC

Obviously, another WR was a complete joke other than that I liked the rest of the picks.

2004 - Detroit Lions

I actually liked this draft although I wasn't sold on Kevin Jones as a 1st round talent.

2003 - Detroit Lions

In the end this draft really exposed how little ability Millen had to assess a player's desire for greatness. I did like the Boss Bailey pick although his injury history was suspect.

2002 - Detroit Lions
6 175 Chris Cash CB USC
7 259 Victor Rogers G Colorado[/quote]

This draft should have told us all we needed to know about Millen's ability to assess talent. It was an extremely weak draft where you needed real ability to find talent. However, I didn't know at the time that Millen had no talent at the draft table and liked the Harrington pick. He at least had a plan to build a winner. When or if Mayhew drafts a QB at #1 overall, I'll give him my support for at least trying it the right way.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:47 AM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

2008 - I probably hated this draft the most out of all of his drafts. At the time I liked Smith and was somewhat positive about Avril I thought the first pick (Cherilius) was a reach and a joke, Dizon was a big reach, not thrilled at all about Flullen, and figured that Campbell was a PR move. This is the draft I probably disagreed with most, but its close with 2007. I REALLY wanted Forte at 45 but the Bears snatched him up.

2008 - Detroit Lions
1 17 Gosder Cherilus T Boston College
2 45 Jordon Dizon OLB Colorado
3 64 Kevin Smith RB Central Florida
3 87 Andre Fluellen DT Florida State
3 92 Cliff Avril LB Purdue
5 136 Kenny Moore WR Wake Forest
5 146 Jerome Felton FB Furman
7 216 Landon Cohen DE Ohio U.
7 218 Caleb Campbell DB Army

2007 - After Calvin Johnson I was shouting at the TV. Three 2nd round picks essentially wasted. Those picks were GIFTS and they went down the drain. In the past, I would let the 2nd-3rd round picks go and chalk it up to "the scouts know better than me" but after 5 years of disappointment I wasn't making that arguement. Stanton - horrible pick, no need for a QB, IAF - didnt like it, Gerald alexander - A F***ING FREE SAFETY??!? I had an outside hope for Johnny Baldwin, but I think I chalk that up to blind faith in the only LB we drafted that year. Probably my least favorite draft..worse than 08.

2007 - Detroit Lions
1 2 Calvin Johnson WR Georgia Tech
2 43 Drew Stanton QB Michigan Stat
2 58 Ikaika Alama-Francis DE Hawaii
2 61 Gerald Alexander FS Boise State
4 105 A.J. Davis CB North Carolina State
4 117 Manny Ramirez G Texas Tech
5 158 Johnny Baldwin LB Alabama A&M
7 255 Ramzee Robinson CB Alabama

2006 I loved the Sims pick because we finally addressed a position on defense in the first round. Sims excited me. Also liked Scott, Matua, and Cannon ( I went to Tulane, so I get fan-boy excited when one of my fellow Green Wavers gets picked). Bullocks, was an ok pick, but I never like seeing a 2nd round pick go to a Safety. Didnt like Calhoun at all. Hated it. He never seems worthy of a first day pick...3rd down back at best. Better than 2007 and 2008 but still not too happy.

2006 - Detroit Lions
1 9 Ernie Sims OLB Florida State
2 40 Daniel Bullocks SS Nebraska
3 74 Brian Calhoun RB Wisconsin
5 141 Jonathan Scott T Texas
6 179 Dee McCann CB West Virginia
7 217 Fred Matua G USC
7 247 Anthony Cannon LB Tulane

2005 - Alright, here is where you guys can laugh at me... I loved the Mike Williams pick. At this time, you have to realize, I thought Millen was looking bad but this was his year for it to all take shape. And when I saw Mike Williams destroy Michigan in the 2004 Rose Bowl I thought the kid would be the next T.O. So when that pick happened I thought, "Wow, we will have the best receivers BAR NONE!" Keep in mind at this point, in the games CR played in he looked awesome. Then I liked the Cody, Swancutt, Godard picks and even had some Orlovsky hope. yeah I dug this draft... ouch!

2005 - Detroit Lions
2 37 Shaun Cody DE USC

2004 - I thought our offense was looking great after this draft. Roy + Rogers + Kevin Jones... I thought we were high flying. I liked Lehman and thought Butler was a big steal and could possibly be a left side anchor in a few years.

2004 - Detroit Lions

2003 - Loved the Rogers pick. Local kid, kinda scared me when he talked but damn he could run and score. I thought Boss Bailey was an outstanding pick. Loved the Redding pick too. Pinner did nothing for me. His late round picks didn't faze me at the time, but looking at them now I wish one of them would have stuck. Overall I liked this draft a lot and figured we were heading to greener pastuers.

2003 - Detroit Lions

2002 - We are telling the truth right? I was high on Harrington. I was saying things like "this kid is smart, he's a winner, his mind is in the right place, good work ethic, can't wait to see our future!" I liked both Goodman and Kalimba as well as Chris Cash and Luke Staley. Everything else was a wash.

2002 - Detroit Lions
6 175 Chris Cash CB USC
7 259 Victor Rogers G Colorado

In general my draft opinions of Millen got more and more pessimistic as time moved on until I was completely jaded and untrusting of any off the board decision he made. The leash started getting shorter and shorter as guys like Blue YOURE MY BOY! Adams were cut before they got a chance to see a single game. The honey moon was over and the 2007 and 2008 drafts were just completely painful other than Rodgers and Smith.
tblain1 is offline   Reply With Quote