Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-21-2007, 06:07 PM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNewFan41
Todd McShay has us taking Michael Griffin in the 2nd, I would be fine with that.

And what do you guys think of Dwayne Jarrett at 22, I think that is a real possibility and could be a dark horse.

i would love Jarrett at #22. That's a steal. we could use him as a #3 till TO and Glenn are gone then i think he'll make a great impact as our future #1. He's only almost 21 which gives him time to learn. i'd take him or Bowe.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:26 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmock
Quote:
Todd McShay has us taking Michael Griffin in the 2nd, I would be fine with that.

And what do you guys think of Dwayne Jarrett at 22, I think that is a real possibility and could be a dark horse.

i would love Jarrett at #22. That's a steal. we could use him as a #3 till TO and Glenn are gone then i think he'll make a great impact as our future #1. He's only almost 21 which gives him time to learn. i'd take him or Bowe.
While I love USC and took a picture with DJ myself last year on the field at the end of the Arkansas game last year.... I just don't like going with a WR. You don't need to have a great WR corp to win. Good enough will do, so I don't like WRs that come with a high cost. Give me Defense!

I'm sure I'll love it if it happens, just not really hoping for it. He could be the BPA and that would be good if that's the case.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:32 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im so confuzzled with what Dallas is gonna do. They are the hardest team to project for me. I really have no idea.

I can see WR being taken since Glenn and TO are getting up in age. I can also see oline taken, LB, possibly Tyler at NT, CB, and FS. I have no idea whats gonna be done.

Id like to hear what Wade wants to do, and what he thinks went wrong last year. That would give a better indication of what he plans on "fixing" through the draft.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:36 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Quote:

Would you guys still be high on jarrett if he had a slow 40 time which he is very capable of having? I see this guy as being the next keyshawn as far as being a big bodied reciever with great hands although im not sure if thats what we want right now.

We have to remember that we had one of the most productive offenses in the league and we werent losing games because of a lack of production from our offense.

Our defense was primarily responsible for all of our losses and taking an impact player in the first could change that. especially in the secondary. With ellis coming back and wade phillips unleashing our LB's a bit more, i think a FS in the first would be a good choice. A rookie FS would also benefit from all of the blitzing in phillips scheme.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:41 PM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.

yea...i would still take him with the depth in this years draft at secondary...WHAT"S WRONG WITH A KEYASHAWN AGAIN? we could take him round 1 and possibly take meriweather,rouse,griffen,weddle,wendling,and all those CB"s...in round 2. i think we should take him if he falls...
Old 02-21-2007, 06:44 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Im so confuzzled with what Dallas is gonna do. They are the hardest team to project for me. I really have no idea.

I can see WR being taken since Glenn and TO are getting up in age. I can also see oline taken, LB, possibly Tyler at NT, CB, and FS. I have no idea whats gonna be done.

Id like to hear what Wade wants to do, and what he thinks went wrong last year. That would give a better indication of what he plans on "fixing" through the draft.
That's why I think moving up or moving down is ideal for us this year.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:46 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336
Quote:
Quote:

Would you guys still be high on jarrett if he had a slow 40 time which he is very capable of having? I see this guy as being the next keyshawn as far as being a big bodied reciever with great hands although im not sure if thats what we want right now.

We have to remember that we had one of the most productive offenses in the league and we werent losing games because of a lack of production from our offense.

Our defense was primarily responsible for all of our losses and taking an impact player in the first could change that. especially in the secondary. With ellis coming back and wade phillips unleashing our LB's a bit more, i think a FS in the first would be a good choice. A rookie FS would also benefit from all of the blitzing in phillips scheme.
Or be Exposed...if the blitz doesn't get there..that leaves the safety out to dry. I mean it goes both ways...you just can't assume we are gonna blitz more so our safety's will have less pressure...I would actually claim it the opposite...it puts even more pressure on the safeties.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:48 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

We wont have a chance to get merriweather in the second and the rest of those guys arent impact players or atleast dont have the potential that nelson, landry, and merriweather have from what we have seen so far.

I just dont think we need a possesion reciever when we still have Glenn, T.O., a very good Patrick Crayton, a poor mans jarrett in Sam Hurd, Jason witten, and a developing Fasano...

with all of those weapons on offense, why not go to where we have Patrick watkins, keither davis, and roy williams as our last line of defense? It just seems idiotic for me not to do somthing in the secondary.

At first i was calling for another speed rusher, but now that bill is gone and phillips is in that changes everything as far as our blitzing goes. We could have a rookie pulling in 5-8 picks in the secondary at FS given the pressure phillips puts on.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:50 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
Quote:

I agree moving up or down seems to hold value. With CB talent all the way into the third round its not necessarily a first round need. Which leads to the question who is worth it to move up for. Or who can we move down for to get better value.

My Move Up List
Ted Ginn
Adrian Peterson
Leon Hall

My Move Down List

Aaron Ross
Brandon Meriweather
Tank Tyler
Robert Meachem
Sidney Rice

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-21-2007, 06:53 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Or be Exposed...if the blitz doesn't get there..that leaves the safety out to dry. I mean it goes both ways...you just can't assume we are gonna blitz more so our safety's will have less pressure...I would actually claim it the opposite...it puts even more pressure on the safeties.
I live in San Diego and have followed them for the past couple years, with the exception of Jammer showing up this year, they have been crappy. Look at their safeties -- they dont have a roy williams or a First round draft pick back there. they have mediocre guys who look great due to his pressure. if wade gets this defense together it would be stupid not to go D in the first. Our offense is overloaded and a reciever would be a wasted pick. he wouldnt have an immediate impact on this team which is what we need. Unless someone drastically improves in the NFC we are only a player or 2 away from going to the super bowl. The player needs to be on defense.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:58 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I live in San Diego and have followed them for the past couple years, with the exception of Jammer showing up this year, they have been crappy. Look at their safeties -- they dont have a roy williams or a First round draft pick back there. they have mediocre guys who look great due to his pressure. if wade gets this defense together it would be stupid not to go D in the first. Our offense is overloaded and a reciever would be a wasted pick. he wouldnt have an immediate impact on this team which is what we need. Unless someone drastically improves in the NFC we are only a player or 2 away from going to the super bowl. The player needs to be on defense.
Is it just me or is that one of the most contradictory statements to be made in this thread. How can their safeties be crappy and great at the same time. Forgive me if I'm wrong but wasn't the SD defensive weakness also the liability to give up the big play. I seem to think that giving up the big play has to do with the front seven executing more then the secondary blanketing their men.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-21-2007, 07:06 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

yes its contradictory when you twist the words as you are doing. if i need to rephrase it, then allow me to put it this way. They are crappy in the sense that they are not very talented, and before the switch to the 3-4 a few years back and the aquisitions of merriman, castillo, and the coming out of shawn phillips, their secondary sucked. Jammer was picked only a few spots after Newman, yet you hadnt heard his name mentioned as anything other than a bust until this year. Drayton florence was bounced around the league because he couldnt get it done. Marlon Mcree was let go by the panthers because he sucked. Some how all of these guys appear to be doing well. Its due to the play of the front seven. I am making this assumption that our front seven will be much more dominant with phillips instead of parcells holding them back, in turn this will create more pressure allowing our secondary to make plays. A rookie FS could flourish here.

Your reciever will sit no matter what. he is not taking a spot from glenn or T.O. and i doubt he even makes it past crayton.

I would like to spend a first round pick on someone who can play, not someone on special teams.

judging by how many of you were upset about not seeing bobby carpenter until mid season i think its safe to assume most people are on board with me that we want someone who can come in and play right away. FS is certainly an area where that is possible. Reciever is not.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:09 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

and i would especially not want Ted Ginn who has injury plagued career written all over him. hes to small for the big leagues and im guessing will never be more than a 2, probably a 3. He just doesnt have the muscle that other small guys like santana moss and steve smith have to absorb the punishment
Old 02-21-2007, 07:22 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Poet3334 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Another coach has been hired.

http://www.osubeavers.com/ViewArticl...&ATCLID=802582

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Poet3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:25 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree moving up or down seems to hold value. With CB talent all the way into the third round its not necessarily a first round need. Which leads to the question who is worth it to move up for. Or who can we move down for to get better value.

My Move Up List
Ted Ginn
Adrian Peterson
Leon Hall

My Move Down List

Aaron Ross
Brandon Meriweather
Tank Tyler
Robert Meachem
Sidney Rice
Ted Ginn... no.
AD... not a need. no.
Hall... he might end up where we are. no need to move up.
Ross... we'd have to stay where we are.
Meriweather... yeah, if we trade out of round 1.
Tyler... yeah, that's ideal.
Meacham, Rice... not unless we're out of round 1.

My thoughts...

Move up:
Alan Branch
Reggie Nelson

Move down:
Demarcus Tyler
Best Avail DB
Old 02-21-2007, 07:25 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poet3334
Special Teams meh

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-21-2007, 07:27 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I don't get it. Where's the connection? It's certainly not because he's the best avail ST coach in college football.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:28 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
I don't get it. Where's the connection? It's certainly not because he's the best avail ST coach in college football.
Jose Cortez :P

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-21-2007, 07:28 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My Move Up List
Ted Ginn
Adrian Peterson
Leon Hall

My Move Down List

Aaron Ross
Brandon Meriweather
Tank Tyler
Robert Meachem
Sidney Rice
Ted Ginn... no.
AD... not a need. no.

My thoughts...

Move up:
Alan Branch
Reggie Nelson

Move down:
Demarcus Tyler
Best Avail DB
D-unit, i know you are big on tyler and i guess would like branch as well but if we were going to move up would you consider okeye or will he always be too small to play at the nose?
Old 02-21-2007, 07:30 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
yes its contradictory when you twist the words as you are doing. if i need to rephrase it, then allow me to put it this way. They are crappy in the sense that they are not very talented, and before the switch to the 3-4 a few years back and the aquisitions of merriman, castillo, and the coming out of shawn phillips, their secondary sucked. Jammer was picked only a few spots after Newman, yet you hadnt heard his name mentioned as anything other than a bust until this year. Drayton florence was bounced around the league because he couldnt get it done. Marlon Mcree was let go by the panthers because he sucked. Some how all of these guys appear to be doing well. Its due to the play of the front seven. I am making this assumption that our front seven will be much more dominant with phillips instead of parcells holding them back, in turn this will create more pressure allowing our secondary to make plays. A rookie FS could flourish here.

Your reciever will sit no matter what. he is not taking a spot from glenn or T.O. and i doubt he even makes it past crayton.

I would like to spend a first round pick on someone who can play, not someone on special teams.

judging by how many of you were upset about not seeing bobby carpenter until mid season i think its safe to assume most people are on board with me that we want someone who can come in and play right away. FS is certainly an area where that is possible. Reciever is not.
Ive seen plenty of Cowboys games this past year and honestly, there were plenty of times when Parcells unleashed the blitz on other teams.

Those games, they got beat deep often, and gave up alot of points. I cite the Philly game, and Detroit as two examples off the top of my head.

Ive also seen Dallas blitz heavy many times out of their nickel package. The bottomline was whether they rushed 4 or 7, the pass rush was mediocre. It didn't get there.

To me, that means 2 things.

1. The players in the front 7 need to refine their pass rushing skills
2. Maybe we're overrating the talent in the front 7 just a bit.

I think its a combination of both. Right here right now, Ware is not a great pass rusher. The DEs in the 2 gap scheme continually missed their proper gap assignment. When Ellis went down, you had no other credible pass rusher on the edge. The ILBs aren't great at blitzing. The NT doesn't dominate the interior the way Jamal Williams does.

The talent isn't as great as youre making it out to be. And as poor as their safeties are, theyre 10X better in coverage than Dallas's safeties.

Now all of that can change this year, don't get me wrong. With a solid draft, and continued development out of the youth in the front 7, Dallas's defense can make a step forward this year. But when evaluating the issues last year, I think the main problem was that the talent was overrated. For the time being at least. Next year is next year, but this past year, the talent was overrated. Im guilty of overrating that talent myself.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:33 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm all for moving Henry to FS but, not if we're going to start a rookie ala Leon Hall in his place. I'm not saying Hall wont be great but, whoever plays opposite Newman is going to be picked on. I'm fearful to put a rook there, maybe moreso then leaving Henry there.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 07:35 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My Move Up List
Ted Ginn
Adrian Peterson
Leon Hall

My Move Down List

Aaron Ross
Brandon Meriweather
Tank Tyler
Robert Meachem
Sidney Rice
Ted Ginn... no.
AD... not a need. no.

My thoughts...

Move up:
Alan Branch
Reggie Nelson

Move down:
Demarcus Tyler
Best Avail DB
D-unit, i know you are big on tyler and i guess would like branch as well but if we were going to move up would you consider okeye or will he always be too small to play at the nose?
Okoye* said his ideal playing weight is right around 295...he is a UT. Why ask him to convert to a NT...put on 30 more pounds and take away his best asset(quickness)?

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-21-2007, 07:38 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H.
I'm all for moving Henry to FS but, not if we're going to start a rookie ala Leon Hall in his place. I'm not saying Hall wont be great but, whoever plays opposite Newman is going to be picked on. I'm fearful to put a rook there, maybe moreso then leaving Henry there.
Am I the only one who thinks Aaron Glenn can start in the NFL. I mean we are not running a parcells/zimmer defense anymore. Newman can match up and lock up with one WR all game. Glenn can cover with the best of them as long as he isn't matched up against a WR like Plax or Roy Williams. I mean hell that was detriots game plan in week 17. Put Roy in motion to get Henry on him with our Roy over the top. I mean put Glenn on Donte Stallworth...I'm not worried to tell you the truth.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-21-2007, 07:39 PM    (permalink
amiyahomiojs

Quote:
Quote:

Ive seen plenty of Cowboys games this past year and honestly, there were plenty of times when Parcells unleashed the blitz on other teams.

Those games, they got beat deep often, and gave up alot of points. I cite the Philly game, and Detroit as two examples off the top of my head.

Ive also seen Dallas blitz heavy many times out of their nickel package. The bottomline was whether they rushed 4 or 7, the pass rush was mediocre. It didn't get there.

To me, that means 2 things.

1. The players in the front 7 need to refine their pass rushing skills
2. Maybe we're overrating the talent in the front 7 just a bit.

I think its a combination of both. Right here right now, Ware is not a great pass rusher. The DEs in the 2 gap scheme continually missed their proper gap assignment. When Ellis went down, you had no other credible pass rusher on the edge. The ILBs aren't great at blitzing. The NT doesn't dominate the interior the way Jamal Williams does.

The talent isn't as great as youre making it out to be. And as poor as their safeties are, theyre 10X better in coverage than Dallas's safeties.

Now all of that can change this year, don't get me wrong. With a solid draft, and continued development out of the youth in the front 7, Dallas's defense can make a step forward this year. But when evaluating the issues last year, I think the main problem was that the talent was overrated. For the time being at least. Next year is next year, but this past year, the talent was overrated. Im guilty of overrating that talent myself.
Or BBD, the schemes sucked, which they did. Its all schemes, our secondary is 10x better than San Diegos but they had pressure so they looked good. BP sucks now, he doesn't have it anymore. Wade is gonna make our defense nasty. OMG I can't wait, I want to fast forward to September so bad, we are gonna dominate. Expect Newman and Henry to have atleast 5 INT's each from the pressure we get. And if you don't think this defense has talent and D-Ware isn't a dominant pass rusher just stop watching football. The most talented teams don't always win, look at the Patriots, talent wise they SUCK, but they alwasy win. The top 2 talented teams are the chargers and cowboys. Like thule said above this post, who the hell puts aaron glenn on roy williams? and now newman can take out the #1 all game, cause parcells is an idiot, and Wade isn't.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:43 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H.
That's exactly what I think.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote