Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 02-22-2009, 11:22 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thediggler3030 View Post
Shonne Greene (especially after running near a 4.7 at the combine)
He's who I'm hoping for. I don't care one iota about his 40 time. I saw a man that had lost some weight, looked extremely built, and ran fluidly. He didn't lumber in any way. He is a beast with the football in his hands and I think he would be the perfect "big" back to pair with Frank. Then add Quinn Johnson in round 6 or 7... nasty.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:31 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some tidbits from Maiocco's blog:
Quote:
--I wrote recently that I didn't think the 49ers were viewing Dashon Goldson as a starter at free safety. Now, I think I was dead wrong on that one. I have every reason to believe GM Scot McCloughan was subtly referring to Goldson when he talked about there being a very good chance the starting free safety is currently on the team. The 49ers might look at adding safety, but I don't think they'll go after Tampa's Jermaine Phillips or Cleveland's Sean Jones.
No matter how much I want Goldson to beat out Roman I don't see it happening. I think SF either brings in Wilson or James Sanders to give Roman a run.

Quote:
--The price of tackles is going through the roof with Vernon Carey getting a deal averaging $7 million annually from the Dolphins. While the 49ers might be interested in a tackle, such as Pittsburgh's Marvel Smith or Jacksonville's Khalif Barnes, I don't know if they have the stomach to remain in the picture if the price starts escalating - and I suspect it will.
Blows Gross and Carey didn't hit the market. It would have really helped push down the price on Barnes.

Quote:
--The 49ers are in need of a fullback. Might they go after Seattle's Leonard Weaver? He's young and has many good years ahead of him. Those in the know say Weaver does not fit what Jimmy Raye and Mike Singletary (or is it Mike Singletary and Jimmy Raye?) want to do with the offense. Weaver would've been a better fit for Martz's scheme. The 49ers this offseason will be looking for a thumper - you know, somebody like that guy they had in 2007 when Frank Gore rushed for nearly 1,700 yards. What was that guy's name? Oh, yeah, Moran Norris.
I am sure Gore would be really happy with this. With the Jets re-signing Tony Richardson it will probably come down to either Norris or Weaver. I would prefer Weaver due to his age but have no problem with Norris coming back.

Quote:
--Offensive tackle at No. 10? Perhaps. I know he is not considered one of the top three, but Michael Oher deserves to be mentioned in that sentence. He is an impressive athlete. If you haven't read Michael Lewis' book, "The Blind Side: The Evolution of a Game," do yourself a favor. The question being asked is if Oher has been spoiled the past six years after a tremendously difficult upbringing.
I am surprised he hasn't been brought up more as well. I could see Oher being viewed by McCloughan the same way Patrick Willis was viewed. Someone who had to deal with personal struggles in their life, still play at a high level while in high school and college, and can now focus on football.

Quote:
--Sleeper pick at No. 10 - and this is just a guess (speculation) - USC linebacker Rey Maualuga. OK, this goes against my personal theory, but - believe it or not -- the 49ers do not share my opinion of inside linebackers. I think if you have a guy like Patrick Willis, you just get a dirty-work guy next to him. But the 49ers loved Jerrod Mayo last year, and they never found that long-term answer at the "ted" position. Maualuga has an incredibly high football IQ - he took it upon himself to soak in all of Pete Carroll's coaching. Plus, I'm partial to Maualuga because he played high-school ball for one of the most memorable coaches I've ever covered: Eureka High's Jack Lakin. Ah, those were the days.
Just a guess on Maiocco's part but I was thinking the same thing awhile back. McCloughan is obessed with filling the TED backer spot and would have traded Mayo or Curtis Lofton if he had the chance.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:33 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Damn I really want Gibril Wilson.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:48 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
With the Jets re-signing Tony Richardson
Is that official ??? I've only read that it appeared he'd be offered a contract extension with the Jets before Thursday... not that he'd actually signed.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:51 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Is that official ??? I've only read that it appeared he'd be offered a contract extension with the Jets before Thursday... not that he'd actually signed.
My bad, they are close to a deal that should be done before the start of FA:
http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/200..._in_on_de.html
Quote:
The Jets and veteran fullback Tony Richardson are closing in on a new contract and a deal is expected to done before the start of free agency on Thursday, according to a person familiar with the club's thinking. That person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the deal isn't complete.
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:44 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want to start a petition to bring back Chuck

BRING BACK CHUCK!
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:12 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
Damn I really want Gibril Wilson.
He's a strong safety. I doubt the Niners go after him because they aren't looking to replace Michael Lewis.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:12 PM    (permalink
king2am
Veteran

king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.king2am is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Coach Singletary on set at the combine with Gruden and Mooch.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80ed866e

Talks about Willis at the end. Can't get enough of this stuff.
king2am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:50 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2am View Post
Coach Singletary on set at the combine with Gruden and Mooch.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80ed866e

Talks about Willis at the end. Can't get enough of this stuff.
Really like the part where he says Shaun Hill will go into training camp as our starter.

It is starting to sound more like the FO wants us to bring in another guy whereas Singletary is happy with what we have.

Last edited by Menardo75 : 02-23-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:52 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
He's a strong safety. I doubt the Niners go after him because they aren't looking to replace Michael Lewis.
Most of his experience is, indeed at SS but he started 13 games at FS for the Super Bowl Champs in 2007. He had nearly 100 tackles and 4 INTs.

He's not in their plans if he wants paid anything like the Raiders paid him, however.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:48 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Well, I was hoping that Lawrence Sidbury would be a gem sleeper in the 3rd or 4th for the 49ers this year. Looks like that plan has no chance after running a 4.6 40 at 265lbs. and looking fluid in LB drills. Overall, I was very impressed with the 3-4 OLB prospects whom I like. I guess I will just have to pray that the 49ers are able to grab at least one of...

Brian Orakpo
Everette Brown
Larry English
Lawrence Sidbury

I'm also intrigued by Connor Barwin (great Combine but about as raw as you can get) and Brandon Williams.

Jasper Brinkley and Worrell Williams both looked liked legit options for 3-4 TED depth that is terribly needed.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:16 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Clay Matthews would be a nice pick up in round 2 for OLB.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:47 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Definitely. He's a hard worker and definitely could do some damage under Singletary's guidance.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:52 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I fear Matthews has worked himself up into the 20-35 range. Dammit. If we go OT at #10, maybe we can land Sintim in the 2nd to be a pass rushing OLB. He has the 3-4 OLB experience from college and the kid can ball.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:53 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
I fear Matthews has worked himself up into the 20-35 range. Dammit. If we go OT at #10, maybe we can land Sintim in the 2nd to be a pass rushing OLB. He has the 3-4 OLB experience from college and the kid can ball.
That's what I'm thinking. Andre Smith at 10 and Sintim in the 2nd.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:55 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
I can handle that. Although Smith's recent actions are worrisome. But I like Sintim in the second. I think we go in-house for the FS position and go after Fili Moala or similar NT in the third.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:57 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

I would love Shonn Green in the third.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:08 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Quote:
Definitely. He's a hard worker and definitely could do some damage under Singletary's guidance.
I don't think he's a fit at 3-4 OLB at all. He's already gained significant weight to make it up to 240lbs. At that weight he would be the lightest 3-4 OLB in the league with only Manny Lawson in the neighborhood.

Quote:
I have yet to see anything out of Sintim that says he is an effective pass rusher. He also appeared to struggle mightily today in coverage drills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
I would be highly upset if that happened and hope to GOD that I was wrong about both players.

Quote:
I can handle that. Although Smith's recent actions are worrisome. But I like Sintim in the second. I think we go in-house for the FS position and go after Fili Moala or similar NT in the third.
Moala is a prototyp 5-Technique 3-4 DE. I don't see him being stout enough to play 0-Technique 3-4 NT. Raji, Brace, Taylor, and Pryor would be much better options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
I would love Shonn Green in the third.
Hell yeah! What did you think of my 49ers mock a couple of pages ago?
Old 02-23-2009, 07:17 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I don't think he's a fit at 3-4 OLB at all. He's already gained significant weight to make it up to 240lbs. At that weight he would be the lightest 3-4 OLB in the league with only Manny Lawson in the neighborhood.
Joey Porter - 255 lbs.
James Harrison - 242 lbs.
Demarcus Ware - 262 lbs.

He's not Shawne Merriman but compared to the three best 3-4 OLBs last season, he's not too far off. With a pro team workout plan I definitely could see him adding the wait getting even up to 250-260. He's got some crazy work ethic and we could definitely use him.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:33 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Joey Porter - 255 lbs.
James Harrison - 242 lbs.
Demarcus Ware - 262 lbs.

He's not Shawne Merriman but compared to the three best 3-4 OLBs last season, he's not too far off. With a pro team workout plan I definitely could see him adding the wait getting even up to 250-260. He's got some crazy work ethic and we could definitely use him.
The examples you used are players that are significantly larger in stature than Matthews. 15 lbs for Porter and 22lbs for Ware. The exception to the rule is always James Harrison but he is barely 6'1" and took 5 years to catch on at 3-4 OLB.

Yes, we can always assume that a player can gain weight but I will take USC's weight-training program as quickly as I would many NFL programs. There comes a point where a guy can't just add weight naturally. Interior lineman can do it more easily because they are adding fat content to their frames not muscle-weight.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:33 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

1. OT Michael Oher, Miss
2. FS Louis Delmas, Western Michigan
3. OLB/DE Connor Barwin, Cincy
4. HB Rashad Jennings, Liberty
5. QB Stephen McGee, Texas A&M
6. DT Terrence Taylor, Michigan
7. FB Quinn Johnson, LSU

Old 02-23-2009, 07:34 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
The examples you used are players that are significantly larger in stature than Matthews. 15 lbs for Porter and 22lbs for Ware. The exception to the rule is always James Harrison but he is barely 6'1" and took 5 years to catch on at 3-4 OLB.
But your saying he's 240 now like he's gonna stay 240 forever even with a pro football team workout program. It's not like they stop working out when they get to the pros.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:44 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
But your saying he's 240 now like he's gonna stay 240 forever even with a pro football team workout program. It's not like they stop working out when they get to the pros.
I completely understand wht you're saying but some bodies just max out regardless of how much they work out. Manny Lawson has been in the NFL for 3 seasons now, has been considered undersized, and even though he has worked hard to gain weight is still only ~245. Keep in mind in regards to Clay Matthews that he graduated highschool at 6'1 165lbs. So he's already added nearly 80lbs to his frame.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:46 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
1. OT Michael Oher, Miss
2. FS Louis Delmas, Western Michigan
3. OLB/DE Connor Barwin, Cincy
4. HB Rashad Jennings, Liberty
5. QB Stephen McGee, Texas A&M
6. DT Terrence Taylor, Michigan
7. FB Quinn Johnson, LSU
I wouldn't be upset with that draft at all.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:50 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I wouldn't be upset with that draft at all.
How real do you think it is? I've been accused of coming up with some UNREAL drafts like impossible unreal.