Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 02-26-2009, 01:35 PM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyintheD View Post
Completely agree. Was it someone on here that said look at the Vikes and Bears? They built a team first, and now they can't find a QB to win with that team. We're in the position to draft a top notch QB; we need to do it if management feels he is a quality QB prospect.
The Bears did pretty well a few years back without a top notch QB. They went to a Super Bowl one year and the year before I think got to the NFC Finals.

BTW, the QB they had both those years was a 1st round draft choice.
tblain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:01 PM    (permalink
sunnyintheD
Rookie

sunnyintheD hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblain1 View Post
The Bears did pretty well a few years back without a top notch QB. They went to a Super Bowl one year and the year before I think got to the NFC Finals.

BTW, the QB they had both those years was a 1st round draft choice.
Yea, they lost in the divisional then the SB the next year. But they failed to win the SB then, and now their defense is far from what it was. All I'm saying is they wasted years of good defense with QBs like Shane Matthews & Jim Miller. Then when they finally decide to address QB in the 1st they pick up the 3rd QB of the draft.
sunnyintheD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:06 PM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The bears also had a great defense the year they made it to the superbowl. Remember Rex did show signs of being a franchise QB that year. The chance of Stafford becoming a franchise QB is much better then the lions building a defense like the bears had that year.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:16 PM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If your goal is one year here and there of success, don't worry about trying to find a franchise QB. If you want sustained success, find a franchise QB. I'm not sure why any fan would want teir team to be the occasional one year wonder. There aren't too many teams that go on a long run of being a top NFL team without a franchise QB.
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:59 PM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
If your goal is one year here and there of success, don't worry about trying to find a franchise QB. If you want sustained success, find a franchise QB. I'm not sure why any fan would want teir team to be the occasional one year wonder. There aren't too many teams that go on a long run of being a top NFL team without a franchise QB.
...and there aren't many teams that go on a long run of being a top NFL team without a top rated defense that can stop the run and put pressure an opposing QB.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:15 PM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
...and there aren't many teams that go on a long run of being a top NFL team without a top rated defense that can stop the run and put pressure an opposing QB.
As I've said before: Having a franchise QB does not stop a team from having a top defense. You simply choose to ignore that fact. The top 5 defenses in the league last year all started QB's picked in the first round.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:43 PM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

Quote:
As I've said before: Having a franchise QB does not stop a team from having a top defense. You simply choose to ignore that fact. The top 5 defenses in the league last year all started QB's picked in the first round.
So our other options are:
A) Free agency - which might be difficult as Detroit is not a hot ticket these days.
B) Rest of the draft - yes we have a lot of picks but the further we get from #1, the less quality you get for your pick.
C) Trade - not many assets left and most of them are draft picks.

In general terms, yes having a franchise QB does NOT stop you from having a top 5 defense. Ok...but since we are at the bottom of the pile now, how do you go about building this top 5 defense?

I'm trying to look at this practically and think "how do you build a top 5 defense" and our best option is to draft the best defensive talent, and to do that we need to use the best picks we have. I'm not saying everything after #1 is chopped liver, but its a step back, and right now we are HORRIBLE on defense. We could use a defensive identity.

And you are also assuming Stafford becomes a franchise QB. I suppose I am also assuming someone like Aaron Curry becomes a cornerstone LB, but many experts assume Curry is the safest pick in the draft and one of the top three talents, so I'm banking off that.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:37 PM    (permalink
Geason Noceur
Rookie

Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.Geason Noceur could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan View Post
The bears also had a great defense the year they made it to the superbowl. Remember Rex did show signs of being a franchise QB that year. The chance of Stafford becoming a franchise QB is much better then the lions building a defense like the bears had that year.
The Bears defense carried that team. They went to the SB despite Grossman. I agree about Stafford though.
Geason Noceur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:33 PM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Quote:
So our other options are:
A) Free agency - which might be difficult as Detroit is not a hot ticket these days.
B) Rest of the draft - yes we have a lot of picks but the further we get from #1, the less quality you get for your pick.
C) Trade - not many assets left and most of them are draft picks.

In general terms, yes having a franchise QB does NOT stop you from having a top 5 defense. Ok...but since we are at the bottom of the pile now, how do you go about building this top 5 defense?

I'm trying to look at this practically and think "how do you build a top 5 defense" and our best option is to draft the best defensive talent, and to do that we need to use the best picks we have. I'm not saying everything after #1 is chopped liver, but its a step back, and right now we are HORRIBLE on defense. We could use a defensive identity.

And you are also assuming Stafford becomes a franchise QB. I suppose I am also assuming someone like Aaron Curry becomes a cornerstone LB, but many experts assume Curry is the safest pick in the draft and one of the top three talents, so I'm banking off that.
A team can only pick one player per pick so if you have a top pick and you need a QB, pick one because they are the most important single player on a team. Not using the top pick on a defender does not stop the Lions from building their D.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:59 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
A team can only pick one player per pick so if you have a top pick and you need a QB, pick one because they are the most important single player on a team. Not using the top pick on a defender does not stop the Lions from building their D.
exactly. We really have no excuse not to draft Stafford.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote