Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 02-28-2009, 06:05 PM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Got to say I've liked what we've done so far. Not over spending on 2nd hand players was my biggest concern. Nice to have Norris and Spikes back and Jones intrigues me. Love to get some OL depth (starter) if its out there.

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me
ninerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:28 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMoney View Post
I believe I read somewhere that Jones ran a 4.38 recently.

That is deep threat speed if your asking me.

I agree that this is a good safe signing. 3 mill a year is not much to be paying a guy who MAY be a #2 or #3 WR.

What has happened to Battle. He seems to be very unliked recently. No love for Battle at #3 anymore? Is JHill a #2? Can morgan beat #1 corners?
He ran that at the combine when he was coming out of college. Battle was the best WR on the team when the team was crappier than we are now. The talent on this team is finally starting to reach a level that is comparable to other teams in the league, and thus he's losing out to younger and more talented guys.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:32 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Warner coming to town:

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/...ers-radar.html

Quote:
Warner is scheduled to visit the 49ers, perhaps on Monday, according to sources close to the situation.
Sunday is the big day, if Canty and Warner go unsigned, both will be here sometime this week.
"When I'm on the field, my one thought is to completely annihilate you and do everything in my power to make you fail. I don't have a single thought about what my hair looks like, what my shoes look like, why my shirt's unbuttoned. I don't care who you are or what you've done in this game. - Brian Wilson
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:45 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
He ran that at the combine when he was coming out of college. Battle was the best WR on the team when the team was crappier than we are now. The talent on this team is finally starting to reach a level that is comparable to other teams in the league, and thus he's losing out to younger and more talented guys.
I still think Battle is our best slot option on this team. It is nice to finally have a young talented receiving corps though.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:47 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ray Willis (Seahawks) and Khalif Barnes (Jaguars) are both still available to solidify the right tackle position. Both are only 27 and pretty good right tackles.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:55 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Ray Willis (Seahawks) and Khalif Barnes (Jaguars) are both still available to solidify the right tackle position. Both are only 27 and pretty good right tackles.
From what I have heard we have no interest in Barnes. I have not heard a thing about Willis.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:57 PM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? View Post
Warner coming to town:

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/...ers-radar.html

Sunday is the big day, if Canty and Warner go unsigned, both will be here sometime this week.
Disaster...
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:27 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would be shocked if they signed Warner. I bet his agent is using that to push negotiations with the Cards, which is fine with me as it would hurt the Cards.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:31 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

I am not so sure I would want Canty. We just drafted Balmer and have Justin Smith. I want to see Ray continue to develope as well.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:14 PM    (permalink
GMoney
Rookie

GMoney hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I agree,

I really dont see the need to get a DE at all. We have 2 LE (Soap and Balmer) we have 2 RE (Smith and McDonald) and we have an NT (Franklin).

Maybe they feel they need to go 2 quality players deep at each spot. In which case a Canty/Olshansky would allow Soap to move to NT.

If they sign a DE though, you can almost eliminate Raji from the draft board. No way we are going to keep 7 quality DL on a team that runs a 3-4. Just plain silly.
GMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:06 AM    (permalink
Haralson98
Rookie

Haralson98 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The signing of Brandon Jones was pretty good but I think I would rather of them get Devery Henderson. Either way, He's a legitimate WR that didn't cost much to bring in.
Haralson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:12 AM    (permalink
edgrenade
Veteran

edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.edgrenade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The whole Warner thing might be a diabolical scheme by Scotty Mac so that Warner takes up too much of the Cardinal's cap space.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:38 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post
The whole Warner thing might be a diabolical scheme by Scotty Mac so that Warner takes up too much of the Cardinal's cap space.
I bet that's what it is. Oh and Devery can't catch so i'm glad we didn't get him :).
Old 03-01-2009, 04:19 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watch it about Devery Henderson pal, :)

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:39 AM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I would be shocked if they signed Warner. I bet his agent is using that to push negotiations with the Cards, which is fine with me as it would hurt the Cards.
I imagine so, and whilst Lienart might work out, the Cards have to be terrified at the prospect of losing him to a division rival, but the visit has me spooked. I can just see one of those shock signings coming...
Old 03-01-2009, 10:32 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMoney View Post
No way we are going to keep 7 quality DL on a team that runs a 3-4. Just plain silly.
I, originally shared that thought. After looking into a bit more, I was shocked to realize how many DE's the 3-4 teams have been carrying...

Dolphins
Vonnie Holiday
Kendall Langford
Philip Merling
Rodrique Wright
Lionel Dotson
Randy Starks

Jets
Shaun Ellis
Kenyon Coleman
Mike DeVito
CJ Mosely

Browns
Corey Williams
Shaun Smith
Louis Leonard
Santonio Thomas
Chase Pittman
Robaire Smith

Steelers
Aaron Smith
Brett Keisel
Travis Kirschke
Nick Eason
Orpheus Roye
Kyle Clement
Scott Paxson

Chargers
Igor Olshansky
Luis Castillo
Jacques Cesaire
Ryon Bingham
Keith Grennan
Ian Scott

Cowboys
Marcus Spears
Chris Canty
Jason Hatcher
Stephen Bowen
Marcus Dixon

49ers
Justin Smith
Ray McDonald
Isaac Sopoaga
Kentwan Balmer

As you can see, only the Jets have as few DE's and I was being generous in including Sopoaga as a DE because he's still listed as a NT on the depth chart.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:06 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maiocco reported the 49ers will be bringing in Demetric Evans on Monday. He should be pretty cheap and he will be depth as a 3-4 DE. With him coming on monday though im curious, would McCloughan move Balmer or Sopo to NT? I know there was some talk of moving Balmer over right after he was drafted last year. We run a 1 gap attacking 3-4 instead of the traditional 2 gap 3-4 so we're not exactly looking for a fat space eating NT, so it might be possible that Sopo/Balmer move over. We'll see though.

For 3-4 DE depth, i would have preferred Olshanky from San Diego, but if Manusky isn't pulling for him (Manusky was the LB coach in SD with Olshanky where they ran a similar defense) then it might be best to stay away. Canty is obviously the prize DE but we just signed Smith last year, it doesnt make sense to sign a 3-4 DE to a big deal 2 years in a row.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:12 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

I think if anyone moves over to NT, it's Sopo. He's 6'2" 330lbs and Balmer is 6'5" 315lbs, which would make Balmer a bit tall for a NT.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:30 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think if anyone moves over to NT, it's Sopo. He's 6'2" 330lbs and Balmer is 6'5" 315lbs, which would make Balmer a bit tall for a NT.
Wouldn't it just be much easier to leave the players where they fit best, i.e.

Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Isaac Sopoaga, and Kentwan Balmer as the DE's and DRAFT A NOSE TACKLE? Why keep switching guys because "they could play NT, but they are best suited at DE"? Get a NT and that's that. :shrug: I guess it's just alot more difficult to get a good NT than it is to get a good DE.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:56 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Wouldn't it just be much easier to leave the players where they fit best
I would be but it's hard to find a good NT. As more time passes, as much as I would like to see someone like Everette Brown or Orakpo be the pick at 10, OT feels like the most likely selection. There isn't a guarantee on Raji and paying that kind of money to a NT probably isnt something the organization wants to do. At least with the selection of someone like one of those top 4 OTs, you have flexibility to move Staley or keep him at LT and, nowadays, both OT positions are starting to become almost equal in importance.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:48 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm still holding hope that we can draft Raji at 10. NT depth chart would be Raji, Franklin, and Sopo/Balmer in emergencies.

BTW, assuming this isnt a ploy, what are everyone's thoughts on signing Warner?
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:56 PM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

Quote:
BTW, assuming this isnt a ploy, what are everyone's thoughts on signing Warner?
If Martz were still here I'd begin to be worried but generally I'm hopeful that it's a ploy by his agent to drive up the deal with the Cards.

edit: Sorry, just realised what you meant.

I think he'd be a shadow of last year, especially as we're going to be run-first with a still developing WR core and he's just come from a none-existant run game where he had Fitz and Boldin and even the third WR got 1000 yards. It'd be a mistake to pay his asking price for someone who wouldn't be well used in the system Singletary wants to run...

Last edited by BandwagonPunditry : 03-01-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:24 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

It would be a failure because he's got a bum hand and being under center would only exacerbate that.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:03 PM    (permalink
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
Pro Bowler

Location: Near the home of the 2010 WORLD SERIES CHAMPION San Francisco Giants
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

49ers showing interest in Marques Douglas:
http://blogs.nbcsports.com/home/arch...ng-some-i.html
"When I'm on the field, my one thought is to completely annihilate you and do everything in my power to make you fail. I don't have a single thought about what my hair looks like, what my shoes look like, why my shirt's unbuttoned. I don't care who you are or what you've done in this game. - Brian Wilson
WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:17 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't mind bringing him back for a year or two if the price is low. He knows the 3-4 DE position well and could mentor the younger guys and I think he is still a very good 3-4 DE himself.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote