Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:29 PM    (permalink
Mr. Hero
Veteran

Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
I've got a team who needs a couple of pieces to become a championship contender, but is content on bringing no one in and just flirting with LJ Smith for the last 3 days. And sending out a defense that looks like:

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/People...pth_Chart.aspx

Impossible not to have some kind of faith in Dimitroff, but goddamn.
You guys made a tremendous turn around but I still think the falcons are building and not really contending. Dimitroff knows that team overachieved last season so he's still looking to fill it out with young talent before he starts being really active in FA, is my outside opinion.
Mr. Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:33 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hero View Post
You guys made a tremendous turn around but I still think the falcons are building and not really contending. Dimitroff knows that team overachieved last season so he's still looking to fill it out with young talent before he starts being really active in FA, is my outside opinion.
Yah I remember all too well thinking "The Bolts just need a few pieces to be championship contenders" after the 04 season, but that's not how it works. Dmitroff can't blow his load because of last year, he knows it's a process.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:41 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
Yah I remember all too well thinking "The Bolts just need a few pieces to be championship contenders" after the 04 season, but that's not how it works. Dmitroff can't blow his load because of last year, he knows it's a process.

I understand that and all, but look at that defense. We had a highly rated offense last year and Matt is going to be in year 2. Everyone is back. But we current have no NT, ROLB, LOLB, SS, #3 corner, LDE. We've got every chance to be just as good with the offense, but we aren't going to do much of anything with that D.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:45 PM    (permalink
Mr. Hero
Veteran

Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
I understand that and all, but look at that defense. We had a highly rated offense last year and Matt is going to be in year 2. Everyone is back. But we current have no NT, ROLB, LOLB, SS, #3 corner, LDE. We've got every chance to be just as good with the offense, but we aren't going to do much of anything with that D.
Draft + Bargain FAs for competition + more familiarity with the coaching staff should = better performances on defense?
Mr. Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:52 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To be honest, I wasn't the biggest Canty fan. He's a great run stuffer, but thats all he is. He's overrated. I said it when he was with the Cowboys, and Im sticking to my guns on this one.

Great run stuffer, not much of a pass rusher. He'll be great for our dline because we need a stronger presence inside, but is he worth 7 mill a season for a guy who won't get double teams and won't rush the passer?

I don't think so.

Don't get me wrong, I like the move, but Im not as excited as everyone else is. Im thrilled with Boley, I love that move like you wouldn't believe, but I think we tied up too much money to Bernard and Canty.

We're making too many FA moves for my liking. I was never a big fan of FA. I don't think you win SBs with FA.

Call me one of the few Giant fans that are skeptical about all of this. Im not as excited about it as everyone else is.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:12 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
To be honest, I wasn't the biggest Canty fan. He's a great run stuffer, but thats all he is. He's overrated. I said it when he was with the Cowboys, and Im sticking to my guns on this one.

Great run stuffer, not much of a pass rusher. He'll be great for our dline because we need a stronger presence inside, but is he worth 7 mill a season for a guy who won't get double teams and won't rush the passer?

I don't think so.

Don't get me wrong, I like the move, but Im not as excited as everyone else is. Im thrilled with Boley, I love that move like you wouldn't believe, but I think we tied up too much money to Bernard and Canty.

We're making too many FA moves for my liking. I was never a big fan of FA. I don't think you win SBs with FA.

Call me one of the few Giant fans that are skeptical about all of this. Im not as excited about it as everyone else is.
Building your team via FA every year is not the right move. But throwing in the occasional plug here and there is necressary.

Kareem McKenzie
Antonio Pierce
Plaxico Burress

Remember that spending spree? We don't have rings without those three.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:26 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
Building your team via FA every year is not the right move. But throwing in the occasional plug here and there is necressary.

Kareem McKenzie
Antonio Pierce
Plaxico Burress

Remember that spending spree? We don't have rings without those three.
Giants have won multiple Super Bowls since then? Interesting...

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:29 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
Giants have won multiple Super Bowls since then? Interesting...
he meant the players have won rings not that we won multiple rings
Old 03-01-2009, 09:30 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTgiants View Post
he meant the players have won rings not that we won multiple rings
Touche. But saying 'we' implies he meant the Giants organization, so that's how I took it.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 03-01-2009, 09:32 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Touche. But saying 'we' implies he meant the Giants organization, so that's how I took it.
he is a giants fan quoting another giants fan talking about the giants organization about winning the super bowl

like you never used we when talking about the (bears?) idk what team you like
Old 03-01-2009, 09:33 PM    (permalink
Malaka
Thinking of Juan
Pro Bowler

Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Malaka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am with BBD, I am not too crazy about the Canty signing either, or this spending spree which is quite unlike Jerry Reese, but as always in JR I trust.

Bone Krusher, the best
Malaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:35 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
he is a giants fan quoting another giants fan talking about the giants organization about winning the super bowl
I guess. But saying "without them we [Giant's organization] don't have rings (meaning multiple rings from acquiring said players)." When said players only brought the Giants organization 1 ring, although multiple to the various players.

I'm just nitpicking english, so don't mind me.

And I wouldn't say "Without Walter Payton and Mike Singletary we wouldn't have rings." I would say, "Without Sweetness and Samurai Mike, we wouldn't have a ring."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 03-01-2009, 09:37 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I guess. But saying "without them we [Giant's organization] don't have rings (meaning multiple rings from acquiring said players)." When said players only brought the Giants organization 1 ring, although multiple to the various players.

I'm just nitpicking english, so don't mind me.
if we [the giants organization] dont sign Plax, and Kareem Mckenzie , and Antonio Pierce the giants organization wont have rings.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:38 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I'm grading the signings, I'd give ours:

Boley: A+. hands down, most pumped about this.

Bernard: B. Why? 4 years? If it was 2-3, it'd be probably A- or so. He probably wont' see all that much time.

Canty: B. He's got talent, but too much $$$ invested in him I think. Should probably be at least a B+ as he'll most likely take over for Freddy next year with Cofield and start this year with Freddy but it's a bit too much for my liking
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:40 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
if we [the giants organization] dont sign Plax, and Kareem Mckenzie , and Antonio Pierce the giants organization wont have rings.
No, see, the term organization constitutes one party. One party does not receive multiple rings for one Super Bowl. They theoretically receive a ring. Now, the different players and personnel obviously each receive a ring, thus constituting multiple rings. However, the organization is singular, meaning it does not receive multiple rings unless multiple championships are won. It's like saying "without them, the Giants won't have Super Bowl victories."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 03-01-2009, 09:55 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

Quote:
No, see, the term organization constitutes one party. One party does not receive multiple rings for one Super Bowl. They theoretically receive a ring. Now, the different players and personnel obviously each receive a ring, thus constituting multiple rings. However, the organization is singular, meaning it does not receive multiple rings unless multiple championships are won. It's like saying "without them, the Giants won't have Super Bowl victories."
Do not give me your George Carlin routine here. Anyway if the Giants "organization" doesn't sign those 3 players they wont have their ring or rings whichever u prefer.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:56 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post

I don't think so.

Glad you said it, BBD. I completely agree. Not sure why every Giants fan thinks this is such an amazing signing. It might be if it was for 15 million dollars less, but I don't really like it.

Solid signing considering the money and certainly our defensive line is much stronger now, but I think it'd be better off spent else where like re-signing Eli, re-negotiating Osi's contract most likely, and maybe signing a free agent WR down the road.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:57 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Do not give me your George Carlin routine here. Anyway if the Giants "organization" doesn't sign those 3 players they wont have their ring or rings whichever u prefer.
Yea I don't disagree with that statement at all.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 03-01-2009, 10:14 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Glad you said it, BBD. I completely agree. Not sure why every Giants fan thinks this is such an amazing signing. It might be if it was for 15 million dollars less, but I don't really like it.

Solid signing considering the money and certainly our defensive line is much stronger now, but I think it'd be better off spent else where like re-signing Eli, re-negotiating Osi's contract most likely, and maybe signing a free agent WR down the road.
Which we could all still do. When we re-sign Eli we'll have even more cap space the next couple of years. Osi isn't going to get a new deal coming off an injury.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:10 PM    (permalink
Xenos
Veteran

Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's called the second wave of FA man. Teams like the Steeler and the Colts do it all the time.
Xenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:11 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I don't know how Philly can catch up with Dallas trading for Jon Kitna. That's a landmark move right there.

Oh yeah and the over the hill Brooking signing.
Not spectacular moves that would make the casual fan excited, that's for sure. But I'm impressed with Jerry this year. He's got a tight wallet on bringing in outside FAs . ...and that's 2 years in a row now... Last season only a small Zach Thomas contract was made.

Jerry gets crucified for making big signings... and he gets crucified for not making big signings... the guy just can't win.

What he's allowing himself to do is have enough space to retain our key FAs. Newman, Barber, Ratliff, Adams last year... Soon we will lock up Ware. There's no way we resign him if we spend frivously in FA.

So these moves by Jerry have been on the downlow, but they have been very sound. Kitna is going to be a much better back up than Brad Johnson and Brooks Bollinger and he already has a couple years under his belt playing with Roy Williams. There were no affortdable FA QBs that offer what Kitna offers. ...and there are no QBs in the draft that fit the need either. We're not looking for a replacement, just a guy with some fire in his belly who could push/advise/compete with Romo to be a better QB and who could hold the fort down in case of injury. Plus getting rid of Henry's salary is a big plus. Henry has been declining the last 2 years and Safety is easier to address than QB in this year's draft.

Brooking is a wash with Zach Thomas if you ask me, but if he can provide any leadership at all then that's already a plus. Thomas was a sour puss since, playing out of position and not wanting to be a leader. That's why he's gone. Ray Lewis tried his hardest to make Jerry open up his wallet, but Jerry stuck to his guns and still got a leader at a much cheaper price. 2M a year for Brooking sounds better than 10+M a year for Lewis, imo... especially with our DL... where Ray doesn't have a the same kind of big blockers in front of him.

Canty will be missed, but not at that price tag. Just last year, Jerry resigned Ratliff to a 5 year, $20.5M deal. No wonder sides were so far apart after Canty landed a 5 year, $42M deal.

Jerry is wising up... I like this.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:39 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

F*** my life.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:17 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
NFC East Arms Race!!!

*grabs popcorn*
Lol it is an entirely different world in the NFC East. 4 playoff contenders and 3 legitimate Superbowl contenders, makes for some good games. But, whenever there is a player on the market an NFC East team is always competing with each other. Take for example Anquan Boldin, out of all 32 teams in the NFL it is rumored that if he were traded the Giants and Eagles both have offers waiting.

But Chris Canty is a very good player and with the right coaching I believe that he can become a pro-bowl DT (not that that means anything now) with some good coaching, which is bad news for the Eagles.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:50 PM    (permalink
stephenson86
All-Pro

stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stephenson86 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

unlucky packers, castillo is still there
stephenson86 is offline   Reply With Quote