Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-22-2007, 03:50 PM    (permalink
bigmac076
Veteran

bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigmac076 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Well Seattle just Taged Josh Brown, so that's out the window. Any other options? Or are we content with Grammatica?
to answer your questions: No and No

WHOOT!!!!! the 5,000th reply!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2007, 03:56 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUALUM99
Ok, people.

Here's a pop quiz -

Name the SD starting OLB on the strong side.......(spoiler down below)

Name the SD starting ILB opposite Donnie Edwards?.......

FYI - it's NOT Shaun Phillips, it's STEVE FOLEY. Yes, you remember, the guy that got shot by the POLICE outside his own house this past off season. Foley had a total of 1 sack in his previous 3 years combined before going to SD. His first year in SD he had 10 sacks. And they didn't even have Merriman opposite him that first year.

The bottom line is that it proves 2 things. 1) You need multiple people at every position because you never know who will need to step in. So stop all the Trade Bradie James or trade this guy...just keep them all. There's an idea. 2) That Wade Phillips' scheme allows LBs to make plays. You never look at the NE defense and think, wow, they really get after the QB. You think, wow, they confuse the QB and cause turnovers that way. Both ways work, we're just going to change the way we do it. Which makes sense given the problems we have at S.
Always good to hear from you. You make an excellent point. Something to note though, the last time NE won the SB, in 2004, they were 2nd in the league in sacks. #1 was Pittsburgh. Both use the 2 gap scheme. Pitt uses alot of zone blitzing out of the scheme, whereas NE uses the same scheme as BP. The thing with the 2 gap scheme is you need selfless DEs to swallow their pride and let the guys behind them make the plays.

Now Phillips method works, and very well may work better with the current staff in Dallas. But like I said earlier, the scheme change means nothing if the players don't develop this year. Ware, Spears, Canty, Carpenter...they all need to develop as players.

This year's defense will rely more on their individual developments than the scheme. I think the development of those young guys is the most important key to the defense next year. If they come out this upcoming year with the same skillset we saw this past year, I don't see an improvement coming. If however, they take their games to another level with the experience theyre developing, then its a whole different story. Only time will tell, and TC will be a big part of the development of this defense.
Thanks, always good to hear from you as well BBD.

There is no doubt that NE's defense is always good. Often, it's better than people give it credit for. They are never going to be confused with the 85 bears or even the 06 Chargers as far as getting after the QB though.

For instance they had 45 sacks that year (2004) but the average # of sacks for each team was 37.5 so it's not as if they were THAT much more effective at getting after the QB (SD had 60 sacks this past year by comparison). Also by comparison the Cowboys had 34 sacks this year. So they averaged a little less than 1 more a game. Again, not setting the world on fire with sack totals.

What NE has always done is force alot of interceptions through confusing their defensive looks. That's one of the reasons that year in and year out they appear to be able to plug in anyone at the DB position and that player is effective.

Ultimately, the scheme plays a very large role in determining the 3-4 success. I think that Wade's scheme will fare better than Parcells' scheme because Wade will focus on it more and on the offense less than Parcells. I think the single biggest problem we had is that BP had too many things on his plate (albeit, by his own design). He couldn't rely on his DC because Zimmer didn't know the 3-4 well enough.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:14 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well Seattle just Taged Josh Brown, so that's out the window. Any other options? Or are we content with Grammatica?
That was pretty much a sure thing.

To be honest, I want to draft Mason Crosby in Round 2. I'll be the first to say it too. :D I want him in Round F'n 2!
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:32 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit
Quote:

To be honest, I want to draft Mason Crosby in Round 2. I'll be the first to say it too. :D I want him in Round F'n 2!
I'd be ok with him in Round 3. 2 just seems too soon.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:35 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward
Quote:
Quote:

I'd be ok with him in Round 3. 2 just seems too soon.
I fully agree...when was the last time a kicker was taken in the first two rounds and turned into a great player?

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:57 PM    (permalink
Im_a_Romosexual
Pro Bowler

Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

drafing a kicker in the first or second round is insane. I could tolerate crosby in the third although I still dont think we'll draft one at all except maybe late day 2
Im_a_Romosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:18 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well Phillips did draft Jason Elam...a kid with a big leg. Similarities are striking. I still would rather wait till the second day. I mean after all kickers can be found later in the draft. Day 1 picks for some reason don't always translate...which is weird...because you would think you just kick the ball. However some guys just don't adjust right away. I wonder why this is? I remember Jdallas talking about the tee and stuff but I'm not sure.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:19 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
Well Phillips did draft Jason Elam...a kid with a big leg. Similarities are striking. I still would rather wait till the second day. I mean after all kickers can be found later in the draft. Day 1 picks for some reason don't always translate...which is weird...because you would think you just kick the ball. However some guys just don't adjust right away. I wonder why this is? I remember Jdallas talking about the tee and stuff but I'm not sure.
What round?

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:36 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod
Quote:
What round?
3rd I believe 70th overall.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-22-2007, 05:38 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Cowboys Coaching Staff to date

Assistant Head Coach: Tony Sparano
Offensive Coordinator: Jason Garrett
Quarterbacks: Wade Wilson
Wide Receivers: Ray Sherman
Tight Ends: John Garrett
Running Backs: Skip Peete
Offensive Assistant/Quality Control: Wesley Phillips

Defensive Coordinator: Brian Stewart?
Linebackers: Paul Pasqualoni
Defensive Line: Kacy Rodgers
Secondary: Todd Bowles
Assistant Linebackers/Defensive Quality Control: Dat Nguyen

Special Teams: Bruce Read
Strength and Conditioning: Joe Juraszek

We officially hired wade wilson today.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-22-2007, 05:40 PM    (permalink
TNewFan41
Veteran

TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.TNewFan41 smells like sex panther.

Medlock is a wayy better KICKER overall, crosby is way overrated because he can kick far i'd take medlock's accuracy over crosby's 76 %. medlock has a decent leg as well
Old 02-22-2007, 05:43 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Blalock talked at the combine.

Quote:
2:46 Highlights from Texas OL Justin Blalock's press conference:

Measured in at 6-3 1/4, 320. Will do a full workout.

More comfortable at tackle, but supposes he'd better get used to guard.

A lot of teams are interested, "and I hope it continues," but this Texas native hopes he is drafted by the Dallas Cowboys.

The best pass-rusher he's gone up against is Lawrence Jackson of USC.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-22-2007, 05:46 PM    (permalink
amiyahomiojs

Quote:
Blalock talked at the combine.

Quote:
2:46 Highlights from Texas OL Justin Blalock's press conference:

Measured in at 6-3 1/4, 320. Will do a full workout.

More comfortable at tackle, but supposes he'd better get used to guard.

A lot of teams are interested, "and I hope it continues," but this Texas native hopes he is drafted by the Dallas Cowboys.

The best pass-rusher he's gone up against is Lawrence Jackson of USC.
Heck yea, lets draft him. 2nd round though.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:50 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmock
Medlock is a wayy better KICKER overall, crosby is way overrated because he can kick far i'd take medlock's accuracy over crosby's 76 %. medlock has a decent leg as well
It's easier to teach accuracy than power imo.

Crosby's career long is 60 yards...Medlocks is 50. One reason Crosby's percentage is low is because Colorado would ask him to kick certain kicks that other teams wouldn't even attempt. Crosby is far superior from a talent pov.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-22-2007, 05:51 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's not the tee. It's the size of the ball.

But yeah... now days kickers are being taken in the second... Nugent, Keading, etc. Kicking has been a pain in our side just as bad a RT and FS has been over the years. Crosby has been bombing 70 yard FGs in practice this week. ...and THAT'S what I'm talkin' bout baby! How many games were lost by missed FGs? Too many to count. He'll have an immediate direct impact on what ever team takes him.

Having a powerful kicker like that changes the whole mindset of the offense once we get into the opponents side of the field... It's a whole new ball game... and to think... Crosby has been hitting it from the 50 yard line!!! Put him in Dallas Stadium... no wind.... Easy peasy, lemon squeezy! :D
Old 02-22-2007, 05:54 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
It's not the tee. It's the size of the ball.

But yeah... now days kickers are being taken in the second... Nugent, Keading, etc. Kicking has been a pain in our side just as bad a RT and FS has been over the years. Crosby has been bombing 70 yard FGs in practice this week. ...and THAT'S what I'm talkin' bout baby! How many games were lost by missed FGs? Too many to count. He'll have an immediate direct impact on what ever team takes him.
If we address OG in FA...I have no problem going kicker in the 2nd..I don't agree that its the best value...but it would fill a need with the best player at the position...who likely will be gone when we pick again in the third.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-22-2007, 05:59 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quote:
Ok, people.

Here's a pop quiz -

Name the SD starting OLB on the strong side.......(spoiler down below)

Name the SD starting ILB opposite Donnie Edwards?.......

FYI - it's NOT Shaun Phillips, it's STEVE FOLEY. Yes, you remember, the guy that got shot by the POLICE outside his own house this past off season. Foley had a total of 1 sack in his previous 3 years combined before going to SD. His first year in SD he had 10 sacks. And they didn't even have Merriman opposite him that first year.

The bottom line is that it proves 2 things. 1) You need multiple people at every position because you never know who will need to step in. So stop all the Trade Bradie James or trade this guy...just keep them all. There's an idea. 2) That Wade Phillips' scheme allows LBs to make plays. You never look at the NE defense and think, wow, they really get after the QB. You think, wow, they confuse the QB and cause turnovers that way. Both ways work, we're just going to change the way we do it. Which makes sense given the problems we have at S.
Always good to hear from you. You make an excellent point. Something to note though, the last time NE won the SB, in 2004, they were 2nd in the league in sacks. #1 was Pittsburgh. Both use the 2 gap scheme. Pitt uses alot of zone blitzing out of the scheme, whereas NE uses the same scheme as BP. The thing with the 2 gap scheme is you need selfless DEs to swallow their pride and let the guys behind them make the plays.

Now Phillips method works, and very well may work better with the current staff in Dallas. But like I said earlier, the scheme change means nothing if the players don't develop this year. Ware, Spears, Canty, Carpenter...they all need to develop as players.

This year's defense will rely more on their individual developments than the scheme. I think the development of those young guys is the most important key to the defense next year. If they come out this upcoming year with the same skillset we saw this past year, I don't see an improvement coming. If however, they take their games to another level with the experience theyre developing, then its a whole different story. Only time will tell, and TC will be a big part of the development of this defense.
Thanks, always good to hear from you as well BBD.

There is no doubt that NE's defense is always good. Often, it's better than people give it credit for. They are never going to be confused with the 85 bears or even the 06 Chargers as far as getting after the QB though.

For instance they had 45 sacks that year (2004) but the average # of sacks for each team was 37.5 so it's not as if they were THAT much more effective at getting after the QB (SD had 60 sacks this past year by comparison). Also by comparison the Cowboys had 34 sacks this year. So they averaged a little less than 1 more a game. Again, not setting the world on fire with sack totals.

What NE has always done is force alot of interceptions through confusing their defensive looks. That's one of the reasons that year in and year out they appear to be able to plug in anyone at the DB position and that player is effective.

Ultimately, the scheme plays a very large role in determining the 3-4 success. I think that Wade's scheme will fare better than Parcells' scheme because Wade will focus on it more and on the offense less than Parcells. I think the single biggest problem we had is that BP had too many things on his plate (albeit, by his own design). He couldn't rely on his DC because Zimmer didn't know the 3-4 well enough.
Good find on the exact stats. Thats why I love your posts. I come away learning more from it each time.

The absolute blitz technique (also known as the fireman blitz technique in some circles) that Wade will use is something that Im very interested in seeing. It won't be much different from the scheme Spagnuola will use with us.

If Washington goes back to a more blitz heavy defense, that will make each defense in our conference an attacking style of defense. That means all of our defenses will be susceptible to the big play but will also make some big plays. Its gonna be excitiing to watch.

Both our teams have the same concerns with this technique, and that is how the secondaries will hold up.

Another thing Im interested in is how the 2 TE system in Dallas will fare now. Will it be used as much? Where does this leave Fasano?
Old 02-22-2007, 06:02 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I read the posts on this thread and a lot of you guys have some great analysis and stuff, but you need to stop hating on eachother. So much arguing, and you guys are fans of the same team. No wonder you have 201 pages.

With that being said, who are the 'Boys gonna draft in the 1st round, because I really don't have a clue, just like every year.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:17 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

BBD, Jerry said that they are not changing the offense. Saying it doesn't need to change. I think it's good for everyone, but especially for Romo.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:18 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk
I read the posts on this thread and a lot of you guys have some great analysis and stuff, but you need to stop hating on eachother. So much arguing, and you guys are fans of the same team. No wonder you have 201 pages.

With that being said, who are the 'Boys gonna draft in the 1st round, because I really don't have a clue, just like every year.
Eh... We're not arguing... It's called intense passion. 8)
Old 02-22-2007, 06:47 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk

Early speculation seems to point to the top CB available. Hall/Revis/Ross could all excel in Wade's defense.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-22-2007, 07:01 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by etk

Early speculation seems to point to the top CB available. Hall/Revis/Ross could all excel in Wade's defense.
Revis makes the most sense IMO. Ross is similar to Newman so they might like him, but they wouldn't be able to use his KR abilities if Newman is fielding them. Any chance the Cowboys draft a S, or are they content with *cough cough* Watkins & RWilliams.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:03 PM    (permalink
jetBLACK08

i dont want a CB that cant run a 40 below 4.45
Old 02-22-2007, 07:36 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by etk

Revis makes the most sense IMO. Ross is similar to Newman so they might like him, but they wouldn't be able to use his KR abilities if Newman is fielding them. Any chance the Cowboys draft a S, or are they content with *cough cough* Watkins & RWilliams.
We need a physical CB that can play on the LOS...and no cowboy fan likes seeing our MVP returning punts..no matter how dynamic he is. The only safeties Dallas will take on the first day are Nelson/Landry.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-22-2007, 08:19 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

We just need a dominant NT. His name is DeMarcus "Tank" Tyler.