Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-04-2009, 11:02 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think you're overrating Underwood pretty considerably. From watching him play myself I couldn't see taking him before the mid-rounds, maybe round 5, and most seem to think he's a late round prospect.

There really are no wideouts in this draft that we'll be able to get after the first round that really fit what we need (a #1 guy) very well.

If we are going to go defensive end we can probably get better value and fit with a first round wideout and then a second round end. Particularly because we at least have a halfway decent starting end combo, and only have one starting wideout.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:17 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Apparently the Bucs signed Mike Nugent to a deal. I remember the Jets offering him a deal but him rejecting it.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/t...spx?id=4215392
Old 03-04-2009, 01:19 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
Apparently the Bucs signed Mike Nugent to a deal. I remember the Jets offering him a deal but him rejecting it.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/t...spx?id=4215392
Not a shocker. Still would like to see what exactly we plan on doing about our kicking situation. With some uncertainty at QB and generally on the offensive side of the ball outside of the line/backs and a ton of money going into the defense we may need to be a FG kicking team, so it would be nice to make sure we actually convert our opportunities there.

I think I see what TTGS was saying about us maybe still drafting a safety after seeing some possible figures for the Leonhard deal. Rotoworld says its 3 years, $6 million. Not only is that a fantastic deal for us to get a potential starting safety, but it does allow us to upgrade if he doesn't work out. Very, very happy with the signing.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:43 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im not gonna quote, but I am pretty sure Berry already signed and I've heard nothing about the Jets having interest in Olshansky. I would love to get Olshansky if it could be done for a reasonable amount of money because he is a good DE and he is Jewish.

I agree that after Nicks, DHB, Britt, and Maclin, the wrs no longer possess the potential to be a #1. As for Underwood, he is an incredibly fast guy who did do great things in college, but he seems to be more of a slot guy/potential 2 to me. If we take a position other than wr in the first, that may be the best we can do. However, I wouldn't want the Jets to plan on taking another position in the first to take Underwood in the second.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:28 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haha. Coles signed with the Bengals. We're playing them this year. That's going to be interesting.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

7 million a year. He's a pretty good #2 who will work hard, but he wasn't worth the 6 million and he certainly isn't worth more than 6 million a year.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:35 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation...ace-Bills.html

Quote:
So often over the years, Jim Leonhard has been told he wasn't good enough.

He has done a sensational job of proving them all wrong. But for the first time in his career, he will have an opportunity to play a team that gave up on him.

Leonhard, the 5-foot-8 safety who has signed a three-year contract with the New York Jets, gets to face the Buffalo Bills.

"It will be the first time that I've been put in that situation, and it will mean a lot," Leonhard said Wednesday on a conference call. "I'm sure it will be an emotional day, that first time that we play.

"I'm looking forward to that day, and hopefully we can make it a day that I'll remember for a long time."

The best scholarship offers Leonhard received were from Division II schools, and if he hadn't been a promising baseball player he might not have generated that interest either.

He attended the University of Wisconsin as a walk-on because "it came down to giving it a run at that top level," he said. "I would have been kicking myself my entire life if I didn't take that chance."

He became a star for the Badgers, but wasn't drafted. The Bills signed him, waived him, re-signed him and then decided not to bring him back when his contract expired after the 2007 season. He played in 38 games with the Bills, starting seven.

"I don't hold a grudge against what they did," Leonhard said of the Bills. "The harsh reality is that this is a business as much as it is about football. They decided to go a different way, which happens year in and year out with players."

Buffalo's decision worked out well for him.

He landed with the Baltimore Ravens, and after Dawan Landry suffered a spinal cord injury, started 13 regular-season games and three playoff games at strong safety.

Leonhard finished fourth in tackles with 85. He had one sack and one interception in the regular season. In the playoffs, he had a half sack, an interception, a forced fumble and two fumble recoveries.

"Although I didn't personally have a great amount of success [with Buffalo], I had a great time and I learned a lot," Leonhard said. "I learned a lot about the NFL and about who I was as a player in that organization.

"I'm going to enjoy [playing the Bills]. It's going to be a little weird that first game, playing against them, but hopefully we can get a bunch of wins so I can get bragging rights."
Well we're going to have to play him now. lol
Old 03-04-2009, 04:08 PM    (permalink
jetvilma51
Pro Bowler

jetvilma51 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Haha. Coles signed with the Bengals. We're playing them this year. That's going to be interesting.
thats better then going to Miami or Buffalo where we woulda had to play him twice a year
Old 03-04-2009, 04:22 PM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.

Cincy did a pretty good job making that deal with coles. He is a pretty good compliment to CJ. Though he isn't as physical as TJ, he will work his tail off and will definately do a good job with Carson.

As for Leonhard, what is there not to love about this kid. Talk about ironic: A White Safety who is 5'8. Sounds like a less agressive Bob Sanders. I just love the fact that this is a kid that works his tail off and has always said that he can do it when others havent. Seems like he has some of those "Tanginiables". But it seems as if those aren't importnat anymore.

Via BoneKrusher
Young Nasty Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:12 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Nasty Man View Post
Cincy did a pretty good job making that deal with coles. He is a pretty good compliment to CJ. Though he isn't as physical as TJ, he will work his tail off and will definately do a good job with Carson.

As for Leonhard, what is there not to love about this kid. Talk about ironic: A White Safety who is 5'8. Sounds like a less agressive Bob Sanders. I just love the fact that this is a kid that works his tail off and has always said that he can do it when others havent. Seems like he has some of those "Tanginiables". But it seems as if those aren't importnat anymore.
Hopefully he becomes a legend and then we can say sort of the next Wayne Chrebet. I laughed when some Jets article said he's like a white Bob Sanders when they don't play the same way and Bob's 20 lbs. heavier.

But uh... you're going to have to stop saying "Tanginiables". That's killing me. :)
Old 03-04-2009, 05:23 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I love Leonhard. I always route for the underdog guys like steve smith and leon. They aways have more heart and put it all out on the line. I think hes going to have a great season. If that deal is true from rotoworld then that would be amazing. As for the draft I dont think I have ever liked this many possibilites at one position. Maclin, DHB, Nick, and Britt are all guys I really like. If we dont pick one of them I think I will be heartbroken. DE is a position we could upgrade but we could get a good DE in round 2 as WR will be useless in round 2. I hope our FO realizes this and gives the fans what they want.
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:33 PM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.

WR is believeable and is what i want....but i gotta put a hold to the Jets for an hour or two because its PITT TIME!

Via BoneKrusher
Old 03-04-2009, 07:18 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Scott just said in his chat that if we go with Ratliff and Clemens next year we'll be picking top 10. Pretty strong statement given our strengths in other areas and how we did with less than stellar QB play last year I think...not that I think there's no chance we're picking top 10 but I'd say it's a little far to say it as more or less a guarantee.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:24 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Really, I think just about every time Scott gets a chance to hate on the Jets he does, not just this year. It's kind of funny.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:26 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah i understand that our QBs are unproven and raw, but I mean they are in the NFL in the first place. They obviously have talent to get there, why can't they succeed as an average QB, when there's a great roster around them? I don't get why everyone hates on them before they've seen them play with our new team around them...
Old 03-04-2009, 07:34 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Yeah it's like Florio, I really don't get it. I understand there's instability but both guys have some talent.

Not sure if it was posted, but I saw somewhere we re-signed Touchy to handle kicking duties. So at least we have a kicker, that's nice.

Here's one I think is interesting. Assuming no other really significant free-agent moves (not realistic but still) lets fast forward to draft day. We've already selected Josh Freeman at #17. With our remaining picks, what can you do to make it a solid draft from there on out? I'm trying to prepare myself for a scenario along those lines.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:39 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Yeah it's like Florio, I really don't get it. I understand there's instability but both guys have some talent.

Not sure if it was posted, but I saw somewhere we re-signed Touchy to handle kicking duties. So at least we have a kicker, that's nice.

Here's one I think is interesting. Assuming no other really significant free-agent moves (not realistic but still) lets fast forward to draft day. We've already selected Josh Freeman at #17. With our remaining picks, what can you do to make it a solid draft from there on out? I'm trying to prepare myself for a scenario along those lines.
Trade the rest of our draft to move back into the middle of the first to get a receiver and then cry about only having made one good pick.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:40 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well WR is a still a need so I say you have to take a WR in the second.

I think WR is our only true need. A Power RB, DL Depth, and Secondary Depth would just be luxuries at this point.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:43 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Omg if we draft Freeman I will cry. But I guess we could move up to the late 1st or early 2nd to get Britt or Nicks.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:09 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

does anyone have any idea where we are cap wise?
Old 03-04-2009, 08:11 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

http://nyjetscap.com/salary.html

That might be where we're at, but I don't know how accurate it is.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:45 PM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Scott always seems to hate on the Jets. Last year with the Keller pick he took so many shots at us. Whenever it comes to the draft, he loves owning the Jets. So for all the times I agree with him, I am disagreeing right now.

I would love that to be our cap room allowing one more FA to be signed and then draft picks. I would be nice but I sadly think we are done with trades and FA signings...

Via BoneKrusher
Old 03-04-2009, 10:25 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

I'm fairly certain that's roughly the right cap figure, if not too low. With that space I would like to lock up leon long term, I do not want him going anywhere. Also, I really wish we would sign Olshanksy, I was a huge fan of his when he played for oregon and he would instantly be an upgrade over Coleman, who would than make as a very good backup.

I was also going to mention Scott ragging on us going into the season with Ratty or Clemens...In fact, here's his exact quote which will make for a good quote when we make the playoffs next year :) "Scott Wright: Wow, the Jets would be extremely fortunate if Mark Sanchez fell into their laps at #17 and they'd be crazy not to take him. They will be picking in the Top 10 overall next year if they go with Kellen Clemens and Brett Ratliff."

Most people like to hate on the Jets, we're like the NFL's red-headed stepchild. I was hoping for Malcolm Kelly or James hardy last year, but when we selected Keller I was a bit confused, but knew the FO must have wanted him for a reason and it turned out pretty damn good.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:29 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

To be honest Tangini has been doing well in the draft (fingers crossed for Gholston) so I pretty much trust whatever he does haha
Old 03-04-2009, 10:50 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

We have made very good draft picks of late so I trust the FO as well. And yea it doesnt matter what Scott or the others say I feel very confident about this season (especially if we pick a WR in the 1st).