Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-08-2009, 10:23 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lol I would love to try and get Troy Smith. Have him Clemens and Ratliff compete for the job.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:02 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
So if not free agency it's the draft, and with the guys that are available this year nobody seems to be ready to start this year anyway. I'd be really worried if we drafted Sanchez or Freeman only to have them start year one. So at this point if we draft a guy we're probably going to have to see if Clemens or Ratliff or maybe even Ainge is the answer this year anyway. If we don't and none of our guys are successful maybe it sets us a year back, but on the same token if we do draft a quarterback and he busts it sets us maybe 3 or 4 years back so if we do draft a guy we'd better be damn comfortable that he's going to pan out.
I think this is the great benefit of being in the mid-range of picks, my favorite spot to be. We can draft a guy with high talent, get a 5 year contract and pay them a very nice salary.

If we got a QB at 17 we'd pay them roughly what Flacco got last year, 5 years $30 mill but only $8.75 mill guaranteed. If a player doesn't work out, ~$9 mill isn't gonna really handcuff us like a top 5 pick would. But, I do get your point nevertheless.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:12 AM    (permalink
MyLostintention
Pro Bowler

MyLostintention hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Getting a QB in the draft might be helpful 3 years from now because the only QB in the draft that could come in this year and perform at the level Flacco did (which wasn't anything too impressive) is Stafford and we're not getting him. WR is what we need to grab with our first round pick looking at it being our biggest need and WR being one of the best positions in this draft.

Clemens may have benefited from playing behind Pennington and Favre the past couple years but no one really knows and the other 2 are even bigger question marks. Why not bring in a Leftwich? His price tag won't be to high, he has been successful as a starter in the past on an offense that wasn't very good and last year he did a very impressive job backing up Big Ben.
MyLostintention is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:36 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe10 View Post
I think this is the great benefit of being in the mid-range of picks, my favorite spot to be. We can draft a guy with high talent, get a 5 year contract and pay them a very nice salary.

If we got a QB at 17 we'd pay them roughly what Flacco got last year, 5 years $30 mill but only $8.75 mill guaranteed. If a player doesn't work out, ~$9 mill isn't gonna really handcuff us like a top 5 pick would. But, I do get your point nevertheless.
You make a good point that we'd be paying them significantly less. What I meant was less financial and more on the field. Figure we wait a year or two for them to develop and wait a couple more years to see if they're a legit player. You have to figure a first rounder is going to be given more than a year or two to see whether or not he's a franchise guy. So unless we decide really quickly he's a bust, you're looking at being behind at the QB position simply because you want to find out if your guy from the first round in 2009 is legit.

Rotoworld has us interested in Torry Holt, also. Wonder what that means for us drafting a WR (if we get him).

Last edited by derza222 : 03-09-2009 at 12:07 PM.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:33 PM    (permalink
jetvilma51
Pro Bowler

jetvilma51 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Rotoworld has us interested in Torry Holt, also. Wonder what that means for us drafting a WR (if we get him).
does anybody follow St Louis? does torry have any miles left on him?
Old 03-09-2009, 02:00 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Idk but even if we sign Holt I hope we still draft a WR first round. Holt, Cotchery, Maclin/DHB/? would be a nice trio.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:22 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
Idk but even if we sign Holt I hope we still draft a WR first round. Holt, Cotchery, Maclin/DHB/? would be a nice trio.
Agreed. Part of me wonders if signing Holt would mean we go with more of a BPA approach in round 1 and try to let Clowney develop. I still hope we draft someone in the first, though.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.

Torry Holt I think has a good 2 years left. He has had great production in the past and I think would make a terrific signing. Has probably one of the best hands in the game and I think has a solid 2 seasons left. If we sign him, I can see it being a 3 to 4 year deal to satisfy his needs. If im not mistaken he is 32 so it isn't so bad. Would command a solid $3m-$6m. I would be happy with this move. And then if we draft another WR, i'd be really satisfied. Heyward-Bey, Harvin, or Maclin would be the go to becuase they would start at slot. Though I wouldn't be happy with Harvin, thats what it would probably be.

Via BoneKrusher
Young Nasty Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:46 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

i agree. wr is one of those positions that you never can have enough of (especially at the start of summer). getting holt would really open our options at WR cause we could go after a guy like harvin.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:46 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Holt would be a nice signing. If that happenes I just hope that does not rule out WR in the 1st.
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:14 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GET LOOSE View Post
Holt would be a nice signing. If that happenes I just hope that does not rule out WR in the 1st.
I dont think signing Holt will preclude them from draftinh someone in round 1 or 2 as a WR. I think they may have to trade for hold because I cant see him being a FA (If he were released) and signing here with our QB situation.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:02 PM    (permalink
jetvilma51
Pro Bowler

Do any of you guys like scotts mock? I really am dissapointed with it. The only way i see us taking Harvin, is if we sign a reciever and in round two, i dont see the point in wasting one of our high draft picks on a position that isnt really even a need when we have Leon and Thomas and just because thomas is 30 dosnt mean we should take a runningback, he can still be good. we can just take a runningback in a couple years when we need one.

does anyone else feel this way too?
Old 03-09-2009, 08:11 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetvilma51 View Post
Do any of you guys like scotts mock? I really am dissapointed with it. The only way i see us taking Harvin, is if we sign a reciever and in round two, i dont see the point in wasting one of our high draft picks on a position that isnt really even a need when we have Leon and Thomas and just because thomas is 30 dosnt mean we should take a runningback, he can still be good. we can just take a runningback in a couple years when we need one.

does anyone else feel this way too?
I dont like it at all. I hate Harvin and if we go wth a RB it better be a power back.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:17 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I have never liked Harvin and even if I did like him hes not even a true WR. We have Leon to do what Harvin can do we need a true Wr like DHB who was there in his Mock. Hopefully our FO does not make that choice if faced with that situation
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:37 PM    (permalink
jetvilma51
Pro Bowler

feely re-signed

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...eely-re-signed

edit: terms of deal- one-year, $1.45 million

Last edited by jetvilma51 : 03-09-2009 at 09:03 PM.
jetvilma51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:41 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Yeah I'm pretty disappointed with it. At this point we need more of a pure wideout, and even if we sign a guy like Holt Harvin's too similar to LW for my taste and too injury prone on top of it. And as somebody said, if we draft a back I want a power guy.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:42 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am a big McCoy fan, but i would rather have DHB in the first. If the draft went DHB and McCoy i would be ecstatic

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:59 PM    (permalink
jetvilma51
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETS5128 View Post
I am a big McCoy fan, but i would rather have DHB in the first. If the draft went DHB and McCoy i would be ecstatic
i really dont see our organization taking a runningback this year but that miht be just me
Old 03-09-2009, 09:07 PM    (permalink
jetvilma51
Pro Bowler

just to give u guys a heads up

Browns signed Hank Poteat and looking to sign Abram Elam and Eric Barton

not a big deal losing them
Old 03-09-2009, 09:12 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i really dont see our organization taking a runningback this year but that miht be just me
I see no reason not to. This year's draft has a lot of depth at running back and wide out is our only glaring need. I would actually be surprised if we didn't take an RB at some point during this draft. McCoy is excellent value in the 2nd round too

Sig by Me
Old 03-09-2009, 09:17 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
I see no reason not to. This year's draft has a lot of depth at running back and wide out is our only glaring need. I would actually be surprised if we didn't take an RB at some point during this draft. McCoy is excellent value in the 2nd round too
I just don't see the fit. He's too similar to what we already have in our backs, the one thing we really lack is a bruiser and that's not McCoy at all.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:26 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I just don't see the fit. He's too similar to what we already have in our backs, the one thing we really lack is a bruiser and that's not McCoy at all.
I agree with you. I know Mccoy is a great player but we really need a power back. I like Andre Brown and Rashard Jennings.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-09-2009, 09:42 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
just to give u guys a heads up

Browns signed Hank Poteat and looking to sign Abram Elam and Eric Barton

not a big deal losing them
What do we get if they sign Elam? A 7th?

Anyway, yeah, hate the draft, but that's just fine because I think he's usually wrong at this point. I think he had us taking McFadden last year.

Anyways, I'd love the Holt signing. I think he'd be a great mentor and I think he's still got it. That'd also give us more flexibility in the draft instead of pigeon-holing ourselves into having to take a WR in the first.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:43 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
I agree with you. I know Mccoy is a great player but we really need a power back. I like Andre Brown and Rashard Jennings.
I would agree that a power back would help. But McCoy is on a different level than Andre Brown and Rashad Jennings, his value at 50 is simply too good to pass up. I highly doubt he falls that far on draft day though, in which case Brown and Jennings would be very solid options

Sig by Me
Old 03-09-2009, 09:49 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Quote:
I would agree that a power back would help. But McCoy is on a different level than Andre Brown and Rashad Jennings, his value at 50 is simply too good to pass up. I highly doubt he falls that far on draft day though, in which case Brown and Jennings would be very solid options
Yea I agree with you that McCoy is a GREAT value there in the second but Andre Brown and Rashard Jennings will compliment Leon in the future.

Sig by BoneKrusher