Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-09-2009, 09:53 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think there's anything that definitively says McCoy is on another level than Brown and Jennings. If anything, their game looks more suited for the pros than his, and it's not entirely out of the question that at least Andre Brown goes before McCoy. I think whatever the case, we should wait until the second day for a RB not only out of respect to the guys on our roster, but because someone talented is going to slip.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:59 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea and Running back isnt even really a need for this years draft.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:26 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
I don't think there's anything that definitively says McCoy is on another level than Brown and Jennings. If anything, their game looks more suited for the pros than his, and it's not entirely out of the question that at least Andre Brown goes before McCoy. I think whatever the case, we should wait until the second day for a RB not only out of respect to the guys on our roster, but because someone talented is going to slip.
Meh... I think it's pretty obvious McCoy is the best prospect out of the three. I'll agree that Brown is a good prospect in his own right though. I would have no problem drafting him in the 3rd or 4th round

Sig by Me

Last edited by JETS5128 : 03-09-2009 at 10:32 PM.
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:51 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETS5128 View Post
Meh... I think it's pretty obvious McCoy is the best prospect out of the three. I'll agree that Brown is a good prospect in his own right though. I would have no problem drafting him in the 3rd or 4th round
I definitely have to disagree with you there. The north-south element that a guy like Brown has along with his very good size and more than good enough speed for that size means that he projects really well to this level. McCoy is incredibly talented and there's absolutely no denying that but he's not going to be able to outrun defenders the way he did in college and he doesn't exactly relish contact. I think there's a lot of projection and a big boom/bust factor with McCoy, and like TTGS I like how a guy like Brown projects a little better right now.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:12 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I definitely have to disagree with you there. The north-south element that a guy like Brown has along with his very good size and more than good enough speed for that size means that he projects really well to this level. McCoy is incredibly talented and there's absolutely no denying that but he's not going to be able to outrun defenders the way he did in college and he doesn't exactly relish contact. I think there's a lot of projection and a big boom/bust factor with McCoy, and like TTGS I like how a guy like Brown projects a little better right now.
1) I'm not sure why you think that McCoy is an east/west runner that only outruns defenders. He is definitely a north/south guy. The only time he doesn't hit it upfield is when there is nothing there and he has to search for a seam. And it is true that he doesn't relish contact, but why would he when he has disgusting spins and jukes that make defenders look silly? He also has the ability to get tough yards and is a great short-yardage back

2) Brown is unquestionably the bigger boom/bust guy. He never carried the load in college, never produced like he was supposed to, and struggled with injuries his entire career.

Sig by Me

Last edited by JETS5128 : 03-09-2009 at 11:20 PM.
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:42 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETS5128 View Post
1) I'm not sure why you think that McCoy is an east/west runner that only outruns defenders. He is definitely a north/south guy. The only time he doesn't hit it upfield is when there is nothing there and he has to search for a seam. And it is true that he doesn't relish contact, but why would he when he has disgusting spins and jukes that make defenders look silly? He also has the ability to get tough yards and is a great short-yardage back

2) Brown is unquestionably the bigger boom/bust guy. He never carried the load in college, never produced like he was supposed to, and struggled with injuries his entire career.
Never said he's just an east-west guy that only outruns defenders, but he's got a lot of that element in his game. He's going to struggle to turn the corner the way he did in college I'm just not sure I see him having the same success running the way he did in college as he did in the pros. And the contact thing is a pretty big issue for me, because with the speed and size of NFL defenders he's going to get hit and I'm not sure how he's going to handle that. Everything about his game strikes me as a much better college guy than a pro guy, just like a Reggie Bush was a much better college guy than a pro guy. I've been impressed with what I've seen on tape, but I still think his speed and moves won't be enough to make up for the way he really shies away from contact.

I was talking more boom/bust based on ability to translate to the pro level. I think Brown has a great chance to be a much better pro than a college player, and McCoy could really struggle in his transition. Besides, the point I was trying to make is that McCoy isn't unquestionably the better prospect. There's a lot of grey area in there IMO with size/speed ratio and ability to handle contact that gets really underrated at times I think. I just think it's a little too much to say that you there's no way you can see Brown as a better prospect than McCoy, because looking at the big picture (especially depending on what you want) there are some things that make me question that.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:21 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No T.O.

No T.H.

The Jets passed on Terrell Owens and they're passing on Torry Holt as well. With rampant speculation about a possible Holt-to-the-Jets move, I did some additional digging and learned the Jets have zero interest in the Rams' soon-to-be-jettisoned wide receiver. None. Zip. Nada.

Oh, well, so much for that possibility. Holt-to-the-Jets seemed to make some sense, and I totally endorsed it yesterday in a blog post. After all, the Jets need another veteran receiver (just my opinion) and their new receivers' coach, Henry Ellard, used to be Holt's longtime position coach in St. Louis.

The ideal marriage? Well, there apparently is an issue with Holt's durability, going forward. He has been an incredibly durable player in his career - only two missed games in 10 years - but there's some concern about his knees.
I don't know. I think he could help the Jets, but what do I know?
This will be the second Hall of Fame-caliber receiver the Jets have ignored, and I'm guessing they're not interested in Marvin Harrison, either. They stayed away from T.O. for obvious reasons, which means they're looking at a receiving corps of Jerricho Cotchery and a lot of question marks. The braintrust apparently feels it can fill the need by taking a receiver in the first or second round of the draft.
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jet...t-in-holt.html

I was reading this and found it pretty interesting. It sort of seems like Ryan may be bringing in a philosophy of grooming young talent, rather than relying on stop-gaps. If it's true, that to me would make it even more obvious that we're going to go for a WR early, so it looks like we'll (most of us) get our wish. That'd make me think that we won't be seeing a Tyson Jackson or Knowshon surprise on draft day. I guess it's just a question of which WR we get. It's weird though because not only here, but on draft sites and on other Jets forums there seems to be some differing opinions as to what we need from the position. The only consensus seems to be that we need a guy over 6' and someone that's good at something, rather than average at everything, whether it be speed, strength, or red zone presence.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:31 AM    (permalink
MyLostintention
Pro Bowler

MyLostintention hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I wish we would go for T. Holt, I mean it can't hurt. He is only a year older than L. Coles and his production has been much better than Coles even the past 2 years. He would be cheaper than Coles and would be great for whatever WR we get in round one. Not getting Holt just means Ryan plans on neglecting the offense all together.
MyLostintention is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:31 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLostintention View Post
I wish we would go for T. Holt, I mean it can't hurt. He is only a year older than L. Coles and his production has been much better than Coles even the past 2 years. He would be cheaper than Coles and would be great for whatever WR we get in round one. Not getting Holt just means Ryan plans on neglecting the offense all together.
I wouldn't say that he's going to neglect the offense all together. I think he plans on utilizing a very run-heavy offense, which could lead to the play action.

I don't see a reason we need to invest money into aging, on the wrong side of 30 receivers, especially ones who have questions about their knees. I love T-Holt, and I think he's got another season or two in him, but with him or Coles, we will never be able to evaluate what the guys on our roster can do.

There is no doubt in my mind that Stuckey can come close or eclipse the numbers that Coles put up the last few years. Stuckey had 32 catches for 359 yards and 3 tds last season, which was pretty much half of what Coles had. I would be willing to bet he was also targeted much less than half as much as Coles.

I am willing to go into the season with our current receivers and a #1 pick. Maybe it doesn't look great on paper, but paper doesn't win you games.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:37 AM    (permalink
MyLostintention
Pro Bowler

You can't have all young WRs when you only have young unproven QBs. Having a vet WR like Holt would help Clemens progress tremendously, in ways a rookie WR couldn't. I still feel we need a young WR who can be our future number 1 but Holt is a very good short term decision to help an offense that is very young at the play making positions.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:40 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLostintention View Post
You can't have all young WRs when you only have young unproven QBs. Having a vet WR like Holt would help Clemens progress tremendously, in ways a rookie WR couldn't. I still feel we need a young WR who can be our future number 1 but Holt is a very good short term decision to help an offense that is very young at the play making positions.
I agree 100%. A veteran like Holt could help out a young QB and young WR group immeasurably. To me its a no brainer. If he could sign Holt and still draft a WR on day one that I think we would be in good shape.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:32 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Looks like the Broncos and Cutler's relationship is souring by the minute...any chance in us getting involved? Not sure we have the ammo but ..what do you guys think?
Old 03-11-2009, 03:00 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ah if I remember correctly, am I'm pretty sure I do, the Jets almost took Cutler over D'Brick with the 4th pick that year.

I think that Cutler is good, and poised to be one of the next best QBs, but with that said I don't want him. Maybe in the future, but definitely not this year. We've built a scary defense and an offense that has a great OL and 2 pro bowl running backs, so I think getting a gunslinger like Cutler would be bad for this season. We need a game manager type QB and Cutler is the opposite of that. Also I'm not ready to give up anyone to try and get Cutler. We don't really have any players of value that we can spare and we need our draft picks to finish building our team.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:12 PM    (permalink
MyLostintention
Pro Bowler

Cutler will be staying in Denver.

He would be great for the Jets but we really have nothing to give them, especially since they would want a QB to replace him. It would have to be a three way trade and we would have to give up our first rounder this year and a pick next year to get him.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:34 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

It would definiteley cost us multiple picks but for a franchis QB that is already proven that is not a bad price to pay. I see a lot of Mock drafts that have us drafting Sanchez with # 17 anyway (which I am not against), so if true we are trading a chance to draft a QB in RD 1 for an established, young Pro Bowl QB. Again I doubt it would happen, but it should not be dismissed.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:52 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd say no. We've seen what happens when you bring a gunslinger coming off of a career year to a team with no real down the field receiving options. Why should the Jets Ditka the draft to do it again?

Green Bay had Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, James Jones and Donald Lee.

Denver had Brandon Marshall, Eddie Royal, Brandon Stoakley, DJAX and Tony Scheffler.

The Jets have Jerricho Cotchery, Chansi Stuckey and Dustin Keller.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:11 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

I think that's a poor comparison considering everything that was surrounding the Favre situation as well as his age. Cutler doesn't HAVE to throw it 35 times a game to be effective, he's just had to so that they can be in the game. As a prospect, he'd be a very welcomed addition in my mind. But as a person, I don't think I'd want him. I just don't think he would do the team any favors chemistry-wise.

As for Holt, well while I'd like a veteran WR in there that could actually teach them a thing or two, I don't think it's necessary and reports are that Holt wants to play in Carolina anyway. Really, I'd see no reason to overpay for another aging star that's said to have lingering knee problems. The transfer of knowledge from these veterans to the younger players isn't always as great as you'd hope either, and really, that's not showing a lot of faith in our coaching staff or the players themselves to be able to elevate their game.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:15 PM    (permalink
Young Nasty Man
Veteran

Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.Young Nasty Man could make a wolverine purr.

A couple of notes from myself:

-I go to Pitt and I really wouldn't like the move of McCoy. I mean I would be happy if we took him because of his Alum but I really dont think this is the type of running back we need. Leon is fully capable of that job and if we go after a RB, I prefer a guy who is 230-250 lbs of meat that can get short yards. I really don't want another screen pass running back. I also truly believe that we have bigger needs then running back at this moment. I seriously believe that if you want to have a 3rd, get someone who exceed the height of 6' because both of our running backs are 5' 10 (maybe). Plus, it is rumored that Rex wants to take Leon out of returning and use him more as a RB. So, I really dont feel its necessary to go after an RB, especially McCoy. He is one of the better backs in the draft, I really just don't really want another one. Though, in his defense, he is going to be a great West Coast offensive RB so for that reason we may. I just prefer the Meat and Potatoes this time.

-Torry Holt I feel would be a great acquisition. BUT, I wouldn't mind if we work with what we have (and the draft). Jerricho has slowly shown that he is a great receiver and may work harder then any receiver on the field. He is strong and really works great. We know what he can do. Though we haven't seen much of Stuckey, he can make a great slot because of his size and speed and with the right crew around him, he can find holes in defenses and make plays. And my personal favorite is Dustin Keller. I think this kid may have dropped a lot of balls this year and a couple were for touchdowns, but it was his rookie year so I'm cutting him slack. He is a great athlete and can really move around the field. I truly think he is going to have a really good year because if he can establish himself as a big guy receiver, he is going to make a lot of catches, especially in the Schottenheimer West-Coast-Esque offense. I think the Jets are going to take a close look at what is available at the time we can pick. If Maclin, Nicks, DHB, Harvin, or (doubtful) Crabtree are within an arms reach, it is a good possibility that we are going to get it. And I think Maclin is everyones preferred (or atleast im assuming) and there is a possibility we can get it. The one guy I want to stay away from is Harvin. His height and injuries scare me. While I can see the steve smith comparisons on how he is a deep threat etc., I really dont feel sold on him. So if we are drafting a receiver, Ill put the thumbs up (depending who and where).

-As for QB, its looking like we are working with what we got. So folks, remember the season when we had Brooks Bollinger, lets hope its not a repeat of that. I excited to see what goes on with Ratliff and Kellen and possibly the third guy (whoever it may be).

-My last comment is Larry Izzo? Really? I understand the 3-4 but we are talking about steroids, a cheater, and most of all an ex-pat. I dont know, its kinda like eating a broccoli flavored candy bar, just doesn't seem right

Via BoneKrusher
Young Nasty Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:33 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think that's a poor comparison considering everything that was surrounding the Favre situation as well as his age. Cutler doesn't HAVE to throw it 35 times a game to be effective, he's just had to so that they can be in the game. As a prospect, he'd be a very welcomed addition in my mind. But as a person, I don't think I'd want him. I just don't think he would do the team any favors chemistry-wise.
Cutler threw it 35+ times in 10 of 16 games this past year and out of the 6 he didn't, he threw it 33 or 34 times in half of them. To bring a QB with his arm to a team that doesn't have the pieces in place to make best (or even very good) use of it with the price tag that would be the "sexy" move. But not the responsible one. To me it is a good comparison. In Green Bay, Favre had a reliable receiver he could trust in Donald Driver and a speedster who could get down the field in Greg Jennings. In New York he had neither.

In Denver, Cutler had an assortment of tall receivers (Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler) and speedy receivers (Eddie Royal) who he, being the gunslinger that he is took full advantage of. Not really the same thing other than they both had receiving groups they could take advantage of in their respective teams that they didn't have (Favre) or wouldn't have (Cutler) in New York.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:37 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I like Cutler and would welcome him but highley doubt we get him. Anyway I was not a big fan of getting Holt so im kind of glade we wont go after him. Im with Rex on this we gotta work with our young guys. I like Clowney and Stucky. If we draft DHB/Maclin/Hicks/Britt I would be fine with our WRs.

1 Cotch
2 our rookie
3 Stucky
4 Clowney
plus Keller at TE I think that plus our run game is a very good offense.
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:55 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Cutler threw it 35+ times in 10 of 16 games this past year and out of the 6 he didn't, he threw it 33 or 34 times in half of them. To bring a QB with his arm to a team that doesn't have the pieces in place to make best (or even very good) use of it with the price tag that would be the "sexy" move. But not the responsible one. To me it is a good comparison. In Green Bay, Favre had a reliable receiver he could trust in Donald Driver and a speedster who could get down the field in Greg Jennings. In New York he had neither.
I think you proved my point there. Again, Cutler was forced to throw the ball that many times because they didn't have a rushing attack or a defense that could keep them in games, so the only chance they had at winning was him passing that much. Roethlisberger threw it a ton in college too but he was put in a position where he doesn't have to. It's all about the situation. You'd think Flacco has the gunslinger mentality too if he didn't have to do virtually nothing this past season. We shouldn't discredit Cutler just because he's good. It's very possible for him to lead our team efficiently.

And I think it's funny you say Jennings is a speedster. He was one of my favorite players in college and now in the pros and he's never been a speedster. His great success in the pros has been due to his YAC ability, superior route running, and most of all, the slant route. He's almost exactly a Driver clone.

I don't want to argue too much about Cutler since I don't really see any possibility of us getting him and I'd much rather give up less for Sanchez or, you know, trust the guys on our roster, but still, I don't think anything about Cutler's on-field capabilities would be the reason for any sort of lack of success in New York.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:33 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
I think you proved my point there. Again, Cutler was forced to throw the ball that many times because they didn't have a rushing attack or a defense that could keep them in games, so the only chance they had at winning was him passing that much. Roethlisberger threw it a ton in college too but he was put in a position where he doesn't have to. It's all about the situation. You'd think Flacco has the gunslinger mentality too if he didn't have to do virtually nothing this past season. We shouldn't discredit Cutler just because he's good. It's very possible for him to lead our team efficiently.

And I think it's funny you say Jennings is a speedster. He was one of my favorite players in college and now in the pros and he's never been a speedster. His great success in the pros has been due to his YAC ability, superior route running, and most of all, the slant route. He's almost exactly a Driver clone.

I don't want to argue too much about Cutler since I don't really see any possibility of us getting him and I'd much rather give up less for Sanchez or, you know, trust the guys on our roster, but still, I don't think anything about Cutler's on-field capabilities would be the reason for any sort of lack of success in New York.

Roethlisberger didn't throw the ball a lot early in his career, but like Cutler he likes to throw the ball down the field and the Jets just don't have the receivers who can get down the field and make those. For years I heard people complain that Roethlisberger didn't throw the ball much, but at the same time I'd like at the stats and see

Ben Roethlisberger

10-16, 250 yards and 2 td's

Chad Pennington
30-39, 250 yards and 1 td.

I made up those numbers, but it gets the point across.

Cutler on the other hand, has pretty much always been a gunslinger since college. He was forced to do that more this year, but it played more into what his game is.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:10 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really don't mind the Larry Izzo signing. Yeah the steroids thing sucks, but aside from that he seems like a great blue-collar guy. I know that's like saying "besides the murder, the suspect is a great guy!" but I feel that for Izzo it's true. He's a hard worker who is involved with a lot of charities and organizations for our troops.

Bringing in a veteran who provides depth at LB, which is always needed, and a great special teams presence is never a bad thing. I think that Izzo has a high character minus the 'roids thing. Let's say they cancel each other out haha.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:22 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Cutler's a solid player, I agree that we don't exactly have the right guys for him to have success and our WR's are pretty poor at this point but I'm sure we could put together a group of guys he could have success with. That said, it would be a lot harder to do it without all of the picks it would take to get him. I also think he's kind of a douche based on everything I've seen and heard so he's not exactly the kind of guy I'd want on the team. Really talented, but if he's getting traded by the Broncos there's a reason for it. How many teams give up a young potential franchise QB who has put up some really solid numbers if there's not something really bad going on underneath the surface?

We also just signed Howard Green to a one year deal. Should be competing to be our backup NT.

Last edited by derza222 : 03-12-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:48 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

I guess an experienced 6'2'' 320 lbs defensive tackle is never a bad thing. Especially when he is just adding depth behind a pro-bowler. Looks like if we go DL in the draft it will be a DE. No sense in having 3 NTs