Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-12-2009, 08:46 PM    (permalink
jetvilma51
Pro Bowler

jetvilma51 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
I guess an experienced 6'2'' 320 lbs defensive tackle is never a bad thing. Especially when he is just adding depth behind a pro-bowler. Looks like if we go DL in the draft it will be a DE. No sense in having 3 NTs
u mean 4? cuz we have three now. Jenkins, Green and Phouha
Old 03-12-2009, 11:40 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah I meant having 4 is too many, 3 isn't bad. Hopefully Green will put some pressure on Pouha, and at the same time keep Jenkins fresh.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:45 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Mock Draft Attempt/Suggestion

Okay I think I'm going to make a 2009/2010 predicted roster tomorrow. Until then I was wondering if I could have a little help with a Jets mock draft. I'm having a lot of trouble with rounds 2-4.

Round 1 - Jeremy Maclin WR Mizzou
If he falls to us, it'd be a dream come true. We need a #1 receiver and Maclin could really give us a great deep threat. We could end up going DHB or Nicks if Maclin is taken. Tyson Jackson and Mark Sanchez are also possibilities here.

Round 2, Round 3, Round 4
Okay, I've pretty much narrowed down these 3 rounds to the following 3 positions (in no particular order): Power Running Back, Blocking Tight End, & Defensive End. Here's my list of guys who will be available in rounds 2-4 and fit the player type we are looking for.

Running Back:
Donald Brown UConn - would require us to trade up to early round 2 so i doubt we'll get him
Andre Brown NC St. - this could be our round 2/3 pick. runs downhill with a lot of power
Rashad Jennings Liberty - he'll be around in round 3/4. big body who punishes defenders. he'd be perfect.
Mike Goodson & James Davis - will be around in round 4. not really power backs but they wouldn't be bad options.

Tight End:
Cornelius Ingram - projected to go in round 3. he's the only TE out of the "top" rated guys who I could see us taking because he actually knows how to block.
Cameron Morrah - round 4 guy. Not really a pure blocker but he fits who we are looking for.
Ryan Purvis & Anthony Hill - likely to go in round 5-6, but we could reach for them in round 4 if we feel a blocking TE is that much of a need.

Defensive End:
Fili Moala - round 2. perfect fit for us.
Michael Johnson - not really our type of player, but you never know. could go anywhere in rd 2-3
Jarron Gilbert - could see him slipping into round 2 but could also be there in rd 3. great fit.
Mitch King & Alex Magee - definitely intriguing options in round 3 or 4
Kyle Morris - a round 4 guy. he'd need to put on weight to play in the 3-4
Corvey Irvin & Vance Walker - reaches in round 4.

2. Fili Moala
3. Rashad Jennings/Andre Brown
4. Camaron Morrah
*This is what I hope happens. What do you guys think

Round 6 - Domonique Johnson CB/S Jackson St.
He'd be a great pick for us here due to his great athleticism and the versatility he'd bring to our defense. We lost Poteat, and we may lose Elam so we need to add another guy to our secondary.

Round 7 - Stryker Sulak OLB Mizzou
Has great size and would add some depth to our outside linebackers, which we could definitely use.

If you guys could just give me a little help with this, I can start working on my roster.

Last edited by TimD : 03-13-2009 at 01:04 AM.
TimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:06 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Guys I'd add to the mix are Sammie Lee Hill (DE/NT), John Phillips and Richard Quinn I believe (TE's from UVA and UNC) and I'd contemplate some OL in there as well. Maybe Frantz Joseph for ILB depth late, too.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:47 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Guys I'd add to the mix are Sammie Lee Hill (DE/NT), John Phillips and Richard Quinn I believe (TE's from UVA and UNC) and I'd contemplate some OL in there as well. Maybe Frantz Joseph for ILB depth late, too.
I am definitely a proponent of OL depth. You can never have too many. D'Brick and Mangold will be coming up to contract years soon and Woody and Faneca are 31 and 32 respectively.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:32 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just so you know, Donald Brown isn't a power back and Michael Johnson is too small to play DE in the 3-4.

And I haven't studied a whole lot of the linemen yet, but we definitely need depth. Really, we could use a significant upgrade over Woody. Judging by the type of game we're looking to play, I'd focus mostly on the maulers, though if we go for someone late they're generally projects so they might just be the athletic freaks. But I expect our second day of the draft to be littered with depth for both lines.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:00 PM    (permalink
jetvilma51
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Just so you know, Donald Brown isn't a power back and Michael Johnson is too small to play DE in the 3-4.
Michael Johnson would be a situational OLB pass rusher in our defense if we drafted him

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris
Jarron Gilbert - could see him slipping into round 2 but could also be there in rd 3. great fit.
i really like this kid, he's gonna be a good NFL player. i doubt he falls to us in the second round but if he does, i believe we really need to take him
Old 03-13-2009, 03:46 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Not sure if I want to go this route (actually I do not) but the Akron Beacon Journal says Derek Anderson can be had for an early day two pick. Anderson seems to up and down for me, but not sure how T-Rex feels. One scenario I can think of is trading down in Round one a few spots (if Sanchez , DHB or whoever we are targeting is gone) and picking up and extra 3, then trading the 3 for Anderson.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:33 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Strictly a rumor right now, but a poster on the Cardinals official forum who says he works for a Software firm that somehow related to the Jets say that the Broncos, Jets and Cardinals are in talks for a 3 way trade

http://forums.azcardinals.com/showthread.php?t=41216

Cardinals get: Leon Washington & the Broncos 2nd
Jets get: Jay Cutler
Broncos get: Matt Leinart and the Jets 1st

I'd love this for the Cardinals, just what everyone else thought.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:20 PM    (permalink
GET LOOSE
Veteran

GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.GET LOOSE wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I like Cutler but Im not giving up our most explosive player. Leon is going to be a big part of our offense and is a fan favorite. No way we trade him
GET LOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:29 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GET LOOSE View Post
I like Cutler but Im not giving up our most explosive player. Leon is going to be a big part of our offense and is a fan favorite. No way we trade him
The post is barely a rumor at this point as someone who works near the Jets facility and does business with them is the source, but for arguments sake here goes...No one wants to trade Leon, but for a 4th year franchise QB? I would have to consider it. Unless the Jets are really planning on expanding his role this year over the 12 or so touches a game (including kicks) at first glance I have to say I would lean towards doing it. We would still be very weak at WR for now, and who knows where we would be cap wise but we shouldnt dismiss it.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:37 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
Strictly a rumor right now, but a poster on the Cardinals official forum who says he works for a Software firm that somehow related to the Jets say that the Broncos, Jets and Cardinals are in talks for a 3 way trade

http://forums.azcardinals.com/showthread.php?t=41216

Cardinals get: Leon Washington & the Broncos 2nd
Jets get: Jay Cutler
Broncos get: Matt Leinart and the Jets 1st

I'd love this for the Cardinals, just what everyone else thought.
I'd look at that and go "ruh roh". The Jets don't have the pieces in place for Jay Cutler to have a season in New York that he just did in Denver. And to take Leon Washington off the team would make that worse. If the Jets went ahead and did that deal, you'd see Jay Cutler handing the ball off to Thomas Jones and throwing nothing but short passes and interceptions despite having one of the best arms in the NFL.

Denver's wide receivers were Brandon Marshall, Eddie Royal, Brandon Stoakley.

New York's wide receivers are Jerricho Cotchery, Chansi Stuckey and Brad Smith.

In Denver, Cotchery would be the #3 guy and Stuckey and Smith would be on the bottom of the depth chart.

Denver has the receiving options in place to make best use of Jay Cutler. The Jets don't. They just don't.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:04 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post

In Denver, Cotchery would be the #3 guy and Stuckey and Smith would be on the bottom of the depth chart.

Denver has the receiving options in place to make best use of Jay Cutler. The Jets don't. They just don't.

I agree 100%. but with two coments..How do we know how good the Denver WR corps would be without Cutler? And secondly this is a trade you make for the next 10 years, not next year. yes we have a below average WR group at this point, but for a year or two you build on it and make it a strength.

I guess the thing I am struggling with is what is easier to find and more important? A franchise QB or a All Pro Running back (I saw RB, but we know he is not a true RB at this point). I've been a Jets fan for almost 30 years and we haven't had a franchise QB that whole time!
Old 03-13-2009, 07:14 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just don't think Cutler fits in well with us right now both with personnel and his personality. On the field he's an incredibly talented player but I wonder about his presence. If he's so great, why are the Broncos trading him?? That's the biggest thing that makes me hesitate. Not like there's another legit option on their roster right now.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:30 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we didn't have as much confidence in Ratliff as it sounded like we did, then I'd like for us to pull the string. As much as I love Leon, a franchise QB is far more important than explosive but non-franchise RB. I love Cutler though so I may be biased, but I also don't really believe there to be any issues with Cutler as far as his teammates go, and he didn't have any troubles at all with his old coaching staff. His only real gripes that I heard of were with the Chargers, and honestly if he could stir up the rivalry between us and the Pats/Fins I'd be all for it.

Of course, doesn't it seem like the Cards aren't giving a lot there? And why did the Jets guy post on the Cards forum? Or did I read that wrong? But in any case, the Cards are only giving up their unproven QB and get a Pro Bowler and a 2nd, but the Broncos have to give up their 2nd to get a 1st and that unproven QB? That doesn't all seem to equate in my mind, but it's probably not true anyway. That'd certainly be interesting though. If it was true, I wouldn't expect it to happen until draft day, unless we absolutely had no interest in Sanchez.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:17 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
I'd look at that and go "ruh roh". The Jets don't have the pieces in place for Jay Cutler to have a season in New York that he just did in Denver. And to take Leon Washington off the team would make that worse. If the Jets went ahead and did that deal, you'd see Jay Cutler handing the ball off to Thomas Jones and throwing nothing but short passes and interceptions despite having one of the best arms in the NFL.

(Hypothetically) Cutler woulden't be on our team for only a year.....
Our WR situation will get better.

I would just throw in the fact I would be absolutely shocked if the Jets actually got him. Cutler apparently is selling his house.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:34 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is the Brad Smith experiment at Quarterback over for you guys? I think he's underutilized in the Jets offense. Love when the balls in his hands.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:36 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
Is the Brad Smith experiment at Quarterback over for you guys? I think he's underutilized in the Jets offense. Love when the balls in his hands.
He was never picked to be the QB.
Sorry if that is harsh, I know your feelings towards him.
He is still the man.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:25 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
I think he works fine as a third QB/a situational guy. Agree he's underutilized, I'd imagine there are more creative ways to get him the ball because he's great with it in his hands. Still, I'm not sure if he's got much of a future with this team. I wouldn't be shocked to see him end up in Cleveland when his deal expires, and I also wouldn't be shocked to see him have more success in a different situation regardless of where it is.

As a side note, looks like we signed Marques Douglas.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:57 PM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
He was never picked to be the QB.
Sorry if that is harsh, I know your feelings towards him.
He is still the man.
Yeah I know he was never picked to be the Quarterback, but he got reps at QB his first 3 seasons in the league.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:28 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah I know he was never picked to be the Quarterback, but he got reps at QB his first 3 seasons in the league.

He's thrown less passes than Ladanian Tomlinson the past three years.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:08 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Anyone else catch that vid on the Jets' website with B-Schott? I don't know about anyone else, but it seemed like to me that he's pretty much on the Ratliff bandwagon. The only real redeeming thing he kept going to about Clemens is his knowledge of the playbook. And in discussing Ainge, they don't really appear to serious about him being in this competition. Like the one black dude said (I don't watch Jets Nation), the offense kind of seems perfect for Ratliff's skill-set. Of course, when asked if he thought our QB was on the roster right now, B-Schott didn't seem too confident, so I'd wonder if there is some legs to Cutler interest or possibly even interest in Sanchez.

With Cutler though, I'd really like to know what our team thinks about him. Not sure if that quote about him from Rhodes was taken out of context or what. And, I guess the "prank" pulled on Cutler at the Pro Bowl Mangold was involved. So who knows. Maybe even our guys are just spiteful. Everyone else that was involved in that article talking about hating Cutler had some sort of vendetta against him. I'd hope though that we wouldn't bring in someone that's already disliked in the locker room.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:15 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Do any of you folks live in the New York/Jersey area? Have you guys heard anything about us and Cutler on the sports shows or something?
Old 03-14-2009, 10:36 AM    (permalink
jetvilma51
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Do any of you folks live in the New York/Jersey area? Have you guys heard anything about us and Cutler on the sports shows or something?
i sometimes hear it brought up on like SNY but when they talk about it, they say its not likely to happen but dont rule it out
Old 03-14-2009, 10:41 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:
I hadn't heard anything substantial from the NY media, mostly internet rumors..