Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 03-18-2009, 11:44 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why can't we go WR in the first. Gilbert in the 2nd. Power RB in the 3rd. Its so simple!!! Enough of this Freeman crap.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:49 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cimini put up his predictions on the 3 guys we go after in the draft. Tooted his own horn a little, saying he had Revis in '07 and Gholston last year on the same list. This time he's got Maclin (says we might trade up for him), Jackson (guys like him are hard to find, Rex is a defensive guy), Freeman (rough around the edges, maybe we should trade down or back into the first for him if anything). At least he's a little skeptical on Freeman there. Better than "zomgz he's got a cannonz".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
Why can't we go WR in the first. Gilbert in the 2nd. Power RB in the 3rd. Its so simple!!! Enough of this Freeman crap.
I'd <3 that.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:51 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Perfect. Maclin and Jackson are the guys I'm looking to get. I think we may trade up for Maclin. I know we have a new coach but Tannenbaum has shown he loves to trade up to get the guy he wants.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:53 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Cimini put up his predictions on the 3 guys we go after in the draft. Tooted his own horn a little, saying he had Revis in '07 and Gholston last year on the same list. This time he's got Maclin (says we might trade up for him), Jackson (guys like him are hard to find, Rex is a defensive guy), Freeman (rough around the edges, maybe we should trade down or back into the first for him if anything). At least he's a little skeptical on Freeman there. Better than "zomgz he's got a cannonz".

I'd <3 that.
I think he's coming out with his list a little too early. He should wait until after the pro days, because I don't think that's what the top of our big board will look like. Then again, I may be wrong. Of course, I had Revis and Gholston to us as well, and I think others did also.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:55 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
I think he's coming out with his list a little too early. He should wait until after the pro days, because I don't think that's what the top of our big board will look like. Then again, I may be wrong. Of course, I had Revis and Gholston to us as well, and I think others did also.
Agree that's not what the top of the big board is going to look like. I just think he took the 3 consensus needs, put our favorite guy at each (in Freeman's case the guy that has a chance to be there), and called it a day. It is early, but only Maclin still needs to have his pro day out of the three. And I do think it's pretty easy to make general calls like that at this point, plus he can fiddle around with it as time goes on.

I do want an end next year, tough. Just figured I'd throw that out there. A lot will change between then and now obviously, but that class is bonerific. At least 1 or 2 of the guys that are being looked at as studs now (Odrick from PSU, Jones from Cuse, Oghobaase from Duke, Suh from Nebraska) should be studs next year too. Not everybody's going to fall off the map. Hopefully all four are still legit by then. And I think there's a guy or two I'm forgetting there, also.

Last edited by derza222 : 03-18-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:01 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

If the Jets draft anyone from PSU, I will be the happiest person alive and purchase their jersey immediately.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:21 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
If the Jets draft anyone from PSU, I will be the happiest person alive and purchase their jersey immediately.
Derrick Williams?? I'd be pretty happy with one of the other WR's later, particularly Butler though Norwood's hands are incredible. Odrick would be awesome next year, though.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:25 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Know what the worst part is? Go on most Jets forums and that's an ideal first three rounds, with Gilbert being the biggest question mark.
I wish this was true, but........ well I can sum it up in one line from TGG. "We haven't had 3 WR and a TE with this much potential since 98."

:(
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:37 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
I wish this was true, but........ well I can sum it up in one line from TGG. "We haven't had 3 WR and a TE with this much potential since 98."

:(
Are you implying that some fans don't think we need a WR at all? Because I know you can't be trying to say you'd like Freeman, Gilbert, and Murphy to be our first 3 selections.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:39 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Are you implying that some fans don't think we need a WR at all? Because I know you can't be trying to say you'd like Freeman, Gilbert, and Murphy to be our first 3 selections.
Yes, I'm implying that some fans don't think we need a WR at all and no, I wouldn't like Freeman, Gilbert and Murphy.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:44 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Yes, I'm implying that some fans don't think we need a WR at all and no, I wouldn't like Freeman, Gilbert and Murphy.
Alright, that's what I thought. Honestly ridiculous though. Some of our fellow fans...

All of this QB stuff has me dreaming that it's a smokescreen and we're really planning a trade up to grab Mr. Maclin. That's my plan.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:59 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We should all start up a website for the Jets and discuss things so we can be the voice of reason.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:52 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
We should all start up a website for the Jets and discuss things so we can be the voice of reason.
We could be like a better TJB lol. Or we could always just land management positions with the team and actually decide what the team does...
Old 03-18-2009, 04:16 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I heard on the radio that you guys are trying to trade for Troy Smith. Did you hear anything about that?
Old 03-18-2009, 05:13 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
I heard on the radio that you guys are trying to trade for Troy Smith. Did you hear anything about that?
There's a bleacher report rumor on the previous page...we didn't think it had any legs lol. Maybe it does. TTGS is gonna go bananas if we do trade for Smith.

EDIT:

As a Ravens fan what are your thoughts on him? Potential starter? Obviously you don't need him around since you have Flacco... I know TTGS loves him but I've got very little feel for what he's done at the pro level...not many people better to ask than a Ravens fan. And what do you think it would take? A fourth or a fifth?

Last edited by derza222 : 03-18-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:57 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I honestly thought he was the QB the future, I was upset we drafted Flacco because I thought Smith was the man. He was 3 inches away from being the #1 pick when he came out. He has the arm strength and mobility to do well.

My theory was a draft day trade...

Jets get: 26th pick, Smith, and a 4th or 5th

Ravens get:17th pick

This would probably only happen if DHB is at that pick, the Ravens get a great vertical threat to go alone w/ Flacco cannon and the Jets get a young QB and still have a option of getting Britt or Nicks or Harvin etc. to give him a nice WR.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:57 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Trading for Troy smith makes zero sense to me. I don't even think that is anywhere near good enough value to move up 9 spots higher in the first round either.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:23 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
Trading for Troy smith makes zero sense to me. I don't even think that is anywhere near good enough value to move up 9 spots higher in the first round either.
That values Smith at like a late third round pick, so we'd probably require a little more compensation. Not an awful deal though if you think about it. Depending on who is on the board if we don't like them slip down a little and get a starting caliber QB. I believe he was originally going to start over Flacco, and Ryan has seen plenty of him I'm sure so if he thinks he's worth the shot for essentially a day two pick... worse things could happen. Plus in that scenario we're actually gaining a player and a pick. I'd be pretty happy with it.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:50 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Depending on who is on the board if we don't like them slip down a little and get a starting caliber QB.
I'm not buying the fact that he is a starting caliber QB. Baltimore spending their first on Flacco says enough for me. There is no need to trade for another unproven QB. We already have 3 on our roster!
Old 03-18-2009, 10:33 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm not buying the fact that he is a starting caliber QB. Baltimore spending their first on Flacco says enough for me. There is no need to trade for another unproven QB. We already have 3 on our roster!
I tend to agree with you. If we just want an inexperienced guy that has sat on an nfl roster, why not go with the guy that has sat on our roster and knows the offense we are going to run. However, in the back of my mind, I do kinda wonder if Troy Smith could succeed given the opportunity. He has a strong arm, is mobile, and had success in college. Also, I know he was the D coordinator, but perhaps Ryan saw something in Smith during practice. Also, the way Flacco performed as a rookie shows that perhaps Baltimore just believed that Flacco was going to be a special player, so regardless of who was on their roster, they had to take him.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:04 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
If Ryan brings him in that means he clearly saw more from Smith during practice than he's seen from Clemens and Ratliff on tape, during practice, whatever. There's no reason to bring him in unless he's starting caliber in our eyes, so if we do then you have to just assume he is and hope for the best.

The guy was supposed to start, if I'm correct, before his tonsillitis issue during the preseason, or at least he'd have a real good shot.

Mainly I'd be happy with it because it means no Freeman and all we give up is a mid-round selection. Potentials certainly there, so from a risk/reward/no Freeman perspective, I'd be down with it.

I mean worst case scenario you're giving up a pick that probably won't pan out, or perhaps just moving down so giving up a theoretical pick but nor really like the Jones trade, for a solid backup quarterback that gives you some really nice trick play options.

And again, no Freeman, so we would presumably concentrate on more important stuff early in the draft. In case you couldn't tell, that's a big factor for me here. If we'd trade for him AND draft Freeman then forget it, but that's just too silly to actually happen.

Last edited by derza222 : 03-19-2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:15 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

dont toy with my emotions
Old 03-19-2009, 03:35 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Oh but just wondering, but what exactly did you hear on the radio? And which station? An ESPN affiliate or a fan show?

And beyond everything, especially if we're going to be this ball control offense, I don't necessarily think it's important to have this phenomenal passer (not that I necessarily see one available to us anywhere). What I do think is important is to have a leader at the quarterback position. Now I don't know for sure, but I haven't really heard anybody giving their firm backing to KC or Ratliff as far as players go. I know Ratliff hasn't been here that long so that might be a pass, but that's a little troubling I think at least that no one's really for Clemens without a shadow of a doubt. Troy Smith was at least loved by the Ravens' defense. And when you think about it, all of the Ravens' leaders were on defense, so I think that says a whole lot about him in that regard. I don't know.

I do think that proposed trade there might be a little much, but I guess I really wouldn't complain if that got us Troy. I'd complain even less if that put us out of range for Jackson and DHB, while eliminating us from the Freeman sweepstakes.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:12 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Has anybody seen the articles that say we might look for a back in the first round because of Jones' potential holdout? Seems pretty ridiculous to me.

The interest in Matt Jones that rotoworld's reporting has to be overstated as well.

Also that we're talking about pursuing Samari now too after the reported interest in Ivy shows a real lack of confidence in Lowery to play well in this scheme IMO.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:10 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

[quote=

The interest in Matt Jones that rotoworld's reporting has to be overstated as well.

[/QUOTE]

When Jones got cut I thought about us making a play for him. Definite off the field issues and NY may bot be the place for him but he does have a ton of talent and is the big receiver we've needed. I would imagine he is going to get a minimal deal with incentives...