Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-22-2009, 05:05 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
I was just saying the leadership aspect wouldn't really play apart in dallas aside from getting him drafted.

I don't see him as someone who will unseat Sensabaugh....and if thats the case I don't wanna waste a 2nd on him...if Sensabaugh needs to be upgraded the 2010 draft class should be the best one in recent memory....I'd rather wait and play with what we have at safety. Use a 4th round pick on a special teams safety that you think has the potential to start and let them battle it out.
DING, DING, DING!

I know I mentioned it a few times before, but I agree with Thule here. 2010 Safety class is going to have at least 3 first rounders.. This year might not have any.

We could grab a potential star in the 1st next year. At the very least, we can grab a guy in the 2nd next year who will probably have equal to, if not better value than this year's safeties.

Pick 51 is basically like getting a top 50 player, why waste that pick on so-so safeties that are all pretty similar, would only contribute on ST (Unless Sensabaugh fails miserably) and most likely isn't going to be a pro-bowl, playmaker.

Berry and Mays will probably be out of our range (I hope so, because I would kill myself if we had a top-10 pick next year) but we could still land a guy like Major Wright. He is the guy you are all going to have to listen to me hype up next year.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:34 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
DING, DING, DING!

I know I mentioned it a few times before, but I agree with Thule here. 2010 Safety class is going to have at least 3 first rounders.. This year might not have any.

We could grab a potential star in the 1st next year. At the very least, we can grab a guy in the 2nd next year who will probably have equal to, if not better value than this year's safeties.

Pick 51 is basically like getting a top 50 player, why waste that pick on so-so safeties that are all pretty similar, would only contribute on ST (Unless Sensabaugh fails miserably) and most likely isn't going to be a pro-bowl, playmaker.

Berry and Mays will probably be out of our range (I hope so, because I would kill myself if we had a top-10 pick next year) but we could still land a guy like Major Wright. He is the guy you are all going to have to listen to me hype up next year.
Sounds good. Next year is all Ndamukong Suh and Trent Williams for me. I know thule is gonna hype up his boy Brandon Spikes.

At safety, if those guys spoken of are gone... I'd be interested in Kam Chancellor.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:01 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We can't go safety in the 1st round next year unless we take a LT in the 2nd round this year and he shows he is ready to take over the job, otherwise future LT is head and shoulders above a safety for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:21 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
We can't go safety in the 1st round next year unless we take a LT in the 2nd round this year and he shows he is ready to take over the job, otherwise future LT is head and shoulders above a safety for me.
Yeah.. I guess this is all just kinda dumb speculation on our parts because Jerry will do what it takes to address the major needs in FA if he can.

If we had a chance at say... Jason Peters? Because the Bills don't get a long term deal done with him, I could definitely see us looking at him. He'd fit our line.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:26 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Sounds good. Next year is all Ndamukong Suh and Trent Williams for me. I know thule is gonna hype up his boy Brandon Spikes.

At safety, if those guys spoken of are gone... I'd be interested in Kam Chancellor.
Be interesting to see what happens to Suh's stock this year. He had a huge end of the season....I could see him having a Moala type fall next year. Preseason top 10 down to a 2nd round player.

Cody is my top NT until proven otherwise.

I'm still really excited about kindle.
Oghobaase is going to be a stud coming out..depending on what happens to spears this year...he should be top 3-4 DE

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:34 AM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Boo over Cody at NT in 3-4, btw, Kellen Heard ate Cody for breakfast

Last edited by PACKmanN : 03-25-2009 at 12:38 AM.
PACKmanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:53 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Be interesting to see what happens to Suh's stock this year. He had a huge end of the season....I could see him having a Moala type fall next year. Preseason top 10 down to a 2nd round player.

Cody is my top NT until proven otherwise.

I'm still really excited about kindle.
Oghobaase is going to be a stud coming out..depending on what happens to spears this year...he should be top 3-4 DE
I'm going to predict the opposite. I can see Suh being the top DL in the class. Top 10 pick.

Cody is the one that will fall unless he can shed at least 30 more pounds and build real muscle mass. He's a fat slob. I really don't see much athleticism. He takes up space for sure, but I'm not sure if he wouldn't have a better career if he became a Sumo in Japan. Those guys are treated like real life Gods.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:16 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would absolutely love Kindle opposite Ware next year, depending on what we do at LB and what Spencer does says alot...I think he's a great fit because of his versatility, he would be a monster but honestly Thule I'm pretty sure he'll be a 1st rounder...He was graded out as a 2nd rounder this year, and the added production he'll get from taking over Orakpo's role will only help his stock.

I think he may be out of our range, but Cody, boy I'd give up a 1st for him easily at this point.

Quote:
Old 03-25-2009, 09:38 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Kindle means Spencer failed.

Good talk, but let's get this thread back on track.

Any other players in this draft anyone wants to hype up? If you have a guy that you'll say later "so and so was my guy way back when"... then now is the time and this is the place.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:47 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Okay, I will post my favorite prospect (as far as Cowboys needs go.)

Patrick Chung-Safey-Oregon.

I love!!!!!!!!!! this guy.

I cant post any videos of this guy, cause I am an absolute idiot with computers. But he has range. He has ball skills. He can play the run and the pass. He is an absolute football player.

I have been right and wrong about many a draft prospect. There is no doubt about that. But before you choose a prospect you like, go to youtube and look at Chung's highlights. He can hit. And when he gets the ball in his hands he makes plays.

And he is no pre-maddona. Watch his blocking during the interception during the Michigan highlights. If you dont like what you see on that interception (when he didnt have the ball in his hands and was not expecting to make the highlight reel) then you can say he sucks. But dont pass judgement 'till you see him play.

If he gets drafted by a team not named "Cowboys," I will be sorry.

And one more thing for thet guys that only look at the triangle numbers-----dont let a 4.5 40yd dash fool you. 4.5 is plenty fast to play any position in the NFL if you know what you are doing. This guy can play football, and that is what is important. He has the physicals to play, but also know HOW to play...

And for the record, I am NOT a Oregon fan....

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540

Last edited by HEISMANHERSCHEL : 04-04-2009 at 04:52 AM.
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:41 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

posting youtube videos are easy.

Just add
Code:
 [.youtube]url[/youtube]
^^without the period infront of .youtube

the url = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahEbxsCbp-k

Just put the end after the = sign inbetween the youtube tags and the video will show.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:13 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPATS View Post
ERIC WOOD C/G Louisville
Height: 6307 Weight: 310 lbs.

Even though his combine numbers looked good:

225: 30 Reps
10 yd: 1.68
Vertical: 30.5
I was just wondering if anybody had a link to a site that lists all combine results of the 40 yard dash, but it must include 10 yard split times?

I'm a big fan of the 10 yrd splits, but I haven't been able to find a site that provides them, so any help would be mush appreciated, thanks!
Old 04-04-2009, 02:35 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

NT/DE Dorrell Scott, Clemson

NFL COMBINE NOTES:
http://rubtherock.blogspot.com/

he NFL combine featured Clemson Tigers football DT Dorell Scott participating in drills on Monday. Scott measured at 6'3 1/4 and weighed in at 312 lbs. He was listed on the CU roster and the last regular season game depth chart at 6'3, 310. While neither of Dorell's two 40 yard dash drills were televised, he ran a blazing (for a DT) 4.95. This was the 3rd quickest time out of all 24 participating DT's, with two players ahead of him tying at 4.89. Scott's time was one of only 4 in the entire group that was under 5 seconds.

Dorell was not listed in the NFL.com's top performers in the drill because DT's are lumped in with DE's, who are typically faster, under the broader DL category. Just a side note here: The reason that Scott's dashes were not part of the NFL Network's featured coverage was because he was player #45 and BC's B.J. Raji was player #43. Raji is one of the more acclaimed DT's at the combine and both times after his dashes, the network went to commercial. So, it was just an unfortunate luck of the draw with respect to Scott's player number being right behind him.

In the bench press drill, Scott completed 29 reps with 225 lbs. The average of the 19 participating DT's was 28.4, which put him right in the middle of the group. Ga. Tech's Darryl Richards only completed 17 reps and finished at the bottom, while Michigan's Terrance Taylor completed the most with 37. Scott obviously didn't hurt his "stock" with this performance and combined with his speed in the 40 yd. dash, probably impressed the scouts and NFL personnel in attendance.

Dorell did get some "face time" on tv in three other drills. The first was an agility drill that required a lateral shuffle over a set of bags and then running forward and back through the lanes in the bags before finishing with a short sprint. I thought Scott looked good in this one. Next was a pass-rushing drill that featured two "dummy" bags that the players used a rip or swim technique on while trying maintain a tight arc around the second bag. Again, I thought Dorell performed well.

In the next drill, I thought Scott did fantastic. This drill required the players to stay low and keep good form while delivering a blow to three standing dummy bags and then tapping another bag on the turf that was in betweent those. It sounds odd and it looked odd but nevertheless, Dorell performed as well as anyone in the drill and again I think again could have only helped his stock rise. There were many players bobbing up and down who were using poor technique and body mechanics.

The final drill was another one emphasizing agility and footwork. The player lines up in a 3 point stance and has a coach five yards in front of him. The player fires off the line and has to make a hard cut either left or right but doesn't know which way until the coach points in that direction. The player then makes another hard cut between a set of cones and then finishes with a 20 yard dash. I sound like a broken record but in my opinion, I thought Scott did great in this drill as well.

It's known that Clemson offers some of the very best DL coaching in the nation. Scott is the latest DL prospect to come out of a school that has churned out many NFL Defensive Linemen.

I think Dorrell can be molded into a better 3-4 NT or 3-4 DE depending on how the staff wants to use him. His frame is moldable. He's got the capacity to add more if he needs to or drop some if he needs to. He's got enough speed to make it work at end, and he has the experience at NT. His technique is sound and there are several reasons why I think he's flying under the radar right now.

1. Clemson had a down season.

2. He suffered through a knee sprain in his senior year.

3. After averaging 50 tackles and 4 sacks in his Sophomore and Junior year, his stats took a hit in his Senior year when he only totaled, 39 tackles and 1 sack. He did increase his TFL though.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scouti...rell-Scott.php

IMO, Scott has him ranked way too low. He'll be drafted ahead of many players on his DT rankings.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/rankings/dt.php

Just a short Hype Post but I wanted to give notice to someone who I think is flying under the radar. I'd love to have him over Ron Brace. I'll probably do a few more of these shorter ones.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:42 PM    (permalink
romo4prez415
Rookie

romo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I'm looking forward to the Jairus Byrd hype. I think he's an absolute stud and has the makings of ball hawking safety.
romo4prez415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:09 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

A Jamon Meredith Hype Post...

'_____'
(O . o)
/),,,,,,)
..,, ,,..

O RLY?

YA RLY Moth. haha. OK... finally got down to figuring out my opinion on this guy based off my own thoughts and not just going by what Moth has been preaching.

Lately our OL depth has been a topic of discussion. So it lead me to search out prospects who had versatility. That's when I re-stumbled across Meredith as a prospect. I never knew before that he had played anything other than LT. Come to find out, last year was his first year playing the position. Prior to that he had been playing Guard and Right Tackle.

Now as a LT prospect, I can understand how MOTH came to believe he isn't quite hacked up for it. I came across an interview and here are his thoughts on it.

On playing LT...

"The first couple games were a little shaky,” Meredith said. “I wasn't quite sure what I was doing. It's a lot different as far as techniques and responsibilities. The more I got used to it, the more I got better and the more I felt comfortable."

On moving to LT...

"Yeah I really think it was a blessing,” Meredith said. “At first I thought it was a demotion. But then my coach explained that it wasn't a demotion. He needed me inside, and I wanted to do what's best for the team. I'm not a selfish guy, so I wanted to do what's best for the team. And come to find out, a lot of NFL teams like when you play more than one position. In the NFL you only have seven-eight guys traveling, so a lot of them double-train. So I guess it was a blessing."

"At tackle you've got to show a lot more athleticism,” Meredith said. “In the middle you've got help from both sides so you've just to be stout and stay in there and hold your ground. On the outside, you're in a lot of space. Make the wrong move and the quarterback is impaired."

On versatility playing the Left or Right side...

"Either one. It really doesn't matter. I can play either. I can switch in the middle of the game if I need to. It's a little bit easier to run block from right tackle, and it's a little easier to pass block from left tackle."

But here's the real key for me. His versatility.

Quote from USA Today:

"Meredith has the natural strength and athletic ability to play guard or tackle. He is a quiet, thoughtful person who might be more effective if he played with more aggression. He was impressive during East-West Shrine practices, where he showed strong initial punch and excellent footwork. Meredith started 38 games, including 8 at right guard, 11 at right tackle and 19 at left tackle. In the past two seasons, coaches' stats credit him with 17 blocks that resulted in touchdowns while allowing seven sacks on 753 pass plays. Meredith graduated in May 2008 with a 3.7 grade-point average."

Excerpt from Scout.com's Browns site:

"Keep an eye on South Carolina offensive lineman Jamon Meredith. Inside the halls of the Cleveland Brows’ facilities, the team is very high on this prospect as evidenced by a private workout last week at the team complex. He presents the type of versatility the new staff seems to favor, being able to start at four of the five offensive line positions. It is safe to say Meredith is likely rated higher on their board than some of the more recognizable interior blocking talent."

A light came on in my head and I thought... Meredith actually would project as a pretty nice Guard prospect.

Then I came across Mel Kiper's rankings... and BOOM!

"Offensive guards
1. Jamon Meredith, South Carolina
2. Duke Robinson, Oklahoma
3. Andy Levitre, Oregon State
4. Herman Johnson, LSU
5. Kraig Urbik, Wisconsin

At guard, Meredith is the top guy if you project him to that spot. Robinson has slipped some since his struggles in the national championship game against Florida. Johnson has awesome physical skills but doesn't always manhandle the opposition as expected. Levitre is a versatile veteran who should have a solid pro career, and the same is true of Urbik and Auburn's Tyronne Green. "

So from then on, I was sold as Meredith as a guy who could play 4 positions for us along the line and give us excellent depth. That's at the very least. For all I know, he could be a better player for us than we know now and could start at any 1 of the 4 positions.

There are a few things that I look for in an OL and "Smarts" is definitely one of them.

Recipient of the Harold White Grade Point Average Award (3.7 GPA)...

ESPN Academic All-District selection...

Presented the Andrew Sorensen Scholar-Athlete Award for Football...

Graduated in May, 2008, with a degree in Sport and Entertainment Management, as he earned several academic honors by accumulating a 3.7 grade point average...

From the same Scout.com inteview...

On if his smarts help him with teams:

"I guess I just pick up the plays a lot better than some other guys. I can get a playbook a week early and pretty much know the whole thing a week early so I don't have to learn too much on the run."

THAT's the kind of guy I like.

From *************.com... I think I can post this because I'm not making money off of it....

"One of the smartest offensive linemen in the Southeastern Conference, the fifth-year senior boasted a 3.74 grade-point average, receiving the school's Harold White Award for his academic excellence in 2008. As a sophomore, he was named the university's recipient of the Andrew Sorensen Scholar-Athlete Award for Football.

Meredith started 38 games during his career at South Carolina and had a string of 28 consecutive starts snapped heading into the 2008 campaign. He lined up at both tackle positions prior to shifting to left guard as a senior. That move was brought about so that he could mentor Georgia Military Institute transfer, Jarriel King, at Meredith's familiar left tackle slot.

Meredith was a standout strong-side defensive end at Hillcrest High School, where he lettered three times under the guidance of head coach Wayne Garrick. He earned All-League honors as a senior and received a two-star prospect rating from Rivals.com.

Despite a banner senior prep season, Meredith was lightly recruited by the colleges. Former South Carolina offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo saw that Meredith had great athleticism when he recruited him at Hillcrest, the high school that produced former USC and current Carolina Panthers offensive lineman Travelle Wharton.

"He had that athletic ability like Wharton. He was long, he was lean and he was athletic," said DeGuglielmo, who is a coach with the Miami Dolphins. "He was low-key and had an even temperament -- and I liked that about him. I didn't want someone who was too excitable."

Meredith enrolled at South Carolina in 2004, spending most of the season acclimating to the right offensive tackle position on the scout team. He received his first collegiate game action in the seventh contest vs. Vanderbilt, but did not play the rest of the year.

In 2005, Meredith spent the first part of the season as a key reserve at both right and left tackle. He took over right tackle duties midway through the Arkansas clash, going on to start four games, including the Independence Bowl vs. Missouri. He finished the year with 34 knockdowns and six touchdown-resulting blocks, as the offense averaged 315.92 yards per game.

The following season, the Andrew Sorenson Scholar-Athlete Award winner started all 13 games. He started the first seven contests at right tackle and the final six on the left side, delivering 62 knockdowns for the campaign. He was named Southeastern Conference Offensive Lineman of the Week vs. Clemson, helping the Gamecocks improve their offense from a 100th-place ranking in 2005 to 20th in 2006 (395.0 yards per game).

As a junior, Meredith earned ESPN Academic All-District honors and was named his team's Outstanding Offensive Lineman. Starting all 12 games at left tackle, he made 75 knockdowns and twelve touchdown-resulting blocks. He allowed just three quarterback sacks on 443 pass plays and also recorded three solo tackles, along with recovering a fumble.

After sitting out the first two games of 2008, based on his agreement with the NCAA, Meredith returned to the lineup at left tackle vs. Georgia, but then spent the rest of the year at left guard. A right ankle sprain in fall camp affected his foot speed and balance, and was further compounded when he again injured it early in the Louisiana State game. He saw limited action the next two games, finishing with nine starts. He posted 48 knockdowns and five touchdown-resulting blocks, as both Meredith and USC struggled, with the offense ranking 97th nationally with an average of 316.54 yards per game.

Positives: Good height with long arms and an athletic build, typical of top-tier left tackles. Adequate punch, and will extend his arms and get his hands on the numbers to keep defenders at bay. Gets to linebackers at the second level very well and hits the moving target. Able to adjust to oncoming defenders in space. Positions himself to seal the edge using quick feet and good hand placement. Can cut-block ends on his side to give the quarterback a lane on quick throws.

Negatives: A bit slow to move his feet at times, relying on his length too much. Other times he drops back too far, allowing the end to twist inside untouched. Plays a bit tall in pass protection. Struggles to reach down to block to the guard when he doesn't explode from his stance. Could sustain blocks better in space.

Body Structure: Has a well-proportioned frame, but desperately needs to add more bulk and lower-body muscle definition and power. He is a big-boned player with good thickness in his chest and shoulders. He has long arms, good timed speed and adequate quickness and large hands to grab and separate.

Athletic Ability: Meredith has very good knee bend and loose hips, but does not always use them to his advantage due to issues with strength in his lower body. Isn't a good leverage player, but has the functional quickness in his kick-slide and flexibility to mirror (will get in trouble when he drops back too far, though). He has good change-of-direction agility, but only when he plays with a wide base (gets too narrow in his base when on the move), but even with his redirection skills, he is sometimes too slow to recover and will get beaten when he "short arms" and lets the defender take a side to escape (needs to face up to his opponent with better aggression). GRADE: 6.6

Football Sense: Meredith is the smartest player on the team and plays with good awareness, but is inconsistent when needed to react with urgency. He has a keen understanding for the game, which is the reason he has played every position on the front wall except for center. He is an outstanding student with a 3.7 GPA. He picks things up quickly and has no problem taking plays from the chalkboard to the playing field, but needs to play with better aggressiveness and emotion. GRADE: 7.8

Character: Very quiet sort with no off-field issues. He gets along well with teammates and staff, but is not considered a leader. He shies away from the spotlight, and would not communicate with the media as a senior. He is mature and his academic success shows he has good maturity. GRADE: 7.0

Competitiveness: Meredith is a quiet sort, making it hard to gauge his aggressiveness, as he doesn't show great urgency in his play. Doesn't always work to finish and must play with more emotion and develop nastiness to play at the next level. He does show good effort, but you would just want a player with his athletic ability to show more emotion. GRADE: 5.6

Work Habits: Meredith is a self-starter who does not need to be monitored, but he needs to dedicate more hours to the training room. He lacks great strength and also needs to add bulk. His frame looks more like a power forward for the basketball team than that of a football down lineman. GRADE: 6.0

ATHLETIC REPORT

Initial Quickness: Meredith has a very quick initial step and loose hips. He shows suddenness to gain an advantage and is a good knee-bender, but does not always use his burst (bit lethargic late in the game). Working in space, there are times he takes false steps or makes insufficient moves (sometimes retreats so far back in pass protection, an edge rusher just needs to delay his burst and then slip underneath). When he keeps his pads level, he can reach and scoop to seal shaded defenders. Best asset is his ability to use his light and quick feet to reach an opponent, but as a senior, he struggled often to gain movement off the snap working at guard and needs to improve his lower body strength.
GRADE: 6.9

Lateral Movement: Shows the loose hips to work down the line, but has a poor concept for angling in the second level (just six downfield blocks on 1,372 plays the last two years). You can see that he is fluid and can slide naturally, but just needs to play with better control. GRADE: 6.5

Balance/Stays On Feet: Can be slow with his kick slide but he seems to rush his retreat. When he does, edge rushers loop around him to pressure the pocket. With his athletic ability, the hope is that he would stay with his blocks longer. He will finish once engaged, but he does not play with great strength or leverage. He can move his feet and swing his hips to position and wall off. His problems occur because he has a tendency to play high in his stance, as this affects his equilibrium as the game progresses. GRADE: 5.7

Explosion/Pop: Despite good timed speed, Meredith appears a bit lethargic coming off the snap. He does not show the suddenness moving in space and would much rather use his reach to keep defenders at bay rather than fire off the snap and attack with aggression. He has quick hands, but lacks much impact with his punch. With his athletic frame and long arms, you would expect him to be quicker getting into position and stay on his blocks longer (more of a one-punch type). He is not the type that will stalk into the second level, or come off the snap with true aggression (seems to go through the motions). He has good lower-body thickness, but does not display the strong anchor to handle bull rushers. He is too inconsistent trying to finish, and can't generate the power needed to sustain. With his hip snap, he should be jolting defenders to get movement, but he loses quite a bit of his effectiveness by playing high in his stance. GRADE: 5.2

Run Blocking: Adequate drive blocker, but proved while playing guard that he does not have the sustained power to widen and maintain rush lanes. He is better in pass protection, preferring to park himself at the line of scrimmage and let the action come to him rather than explode off the snap to gain movement. He has the quick first step to get in position, but has to improve his lower-body power and maintain a better pad level. When he stays low in his pads, he flashes decent ability to wash defensive linemen on down blocks and widen the hole, but he is just marginal as a cut blocker. GRADE: 5.7

Pass Blocking: Has natural knee bend, large hands and long arms to keep defenders at bay. He is good to mirror when he faces up to the edge rusher, but he sometimes retreats so far back, speedy edge rushers are quick to slip underneath. He has good slide agility, but needs to be more active with his hands when trying to finish. He is not going to shock anyone with his marginal hand punch and until he improves his lower-body strength, he would be a liability with his anchor working in-line as a guard, as he showed in 2008 that he simply can't handle the powerful bull rushers. Has the ability to sink his hips, but that inconsistent hand punch and lock-out ability, along with his late recovery when retreating, get him caught out of position. If he can improve his leg strength to sit down and anchor, he would be able to handle left tackle duties, despite his light frame. Right now, he projects to right tackle. GRADE: 6.2

Pulling/Trapping: Meredith is a marginal blocker on long pulls. On short traps, he lacks quick-twitch moves and great foot balance. He is better served on inside plays, as he does not stay low in his pads or take proper angles to cut down defenders on outside screens. He has loose hips, yet struggles to change direction when he overruns a play and because he plays so tall, he lacks the ability to sink his pads and cut block. On straight-line charges off the snap, he can lead block, but if a strong defender gets in his way, the rush lane will soon get clogged. When he hits the defender high, he lands with little pop on contact. GRADE: 5.3

Adjust on Linebacker Downfield: Meredith is more comfortable blocking at the line than getting into the second level to stalk, despite good timed foot speed. His feet tend to die under him moving in space and his base gets so narrow on the move, he spends a lot of time on the ground by tripping over his own feet. Has change-of-direction agility and could improve quickly in this area. GRADE: 5.5

Use of Hands/Punch: Meredith's biggest problem vs. physical defenders is that he lacks the hand punch to shock and jolt. He is more of a reach blocker with decent hand placement, but has to put more force behind hits. He likes to grab and lean into his opponent too often and because he gets reckless with his hands outside his frame, a strong surge by a defender will see him rocked back on his heels or have his opponent get a good piece of his jersey to jerk and control him. He doesn't have the raw power to flash enough punch and lock out ability to shock and jolt, but he does show good hand quickness to recoil (still gets too wide with his hands and this lets defenders into his chest too often, though). GRADE: 5.3

Reactions/Awareness: Very smart picking up games and twists up front. He mirrors his opponent when he does not retreat too far in his slide and when he keeps his feet shuffling. Is better reacting and adjusting to the defender's second move when he keeps his feet active. Has the vision and lateral quickness to pick up stunts and is not the type that will get fooled by the defender's multiple moves. GRADE: 7.1

Compares To: JORDAN BLACK, Jacksonville -- Meredith can match up to Black in terms of athleticism, but lacks the "sand in his pants" to anchor vs. the bull rush and showed in 2008 that he is not a pro guard prospect. He needs to improve his overall strength, add bulk and play with more aggression. Look for this player to be drafted much earlier based on his athletic skills than his production would indicate, but the "boom or bust" label applies.
OVERALL GRADE: 6.1

Meredith started 38 games at South Carolina, including eight at right guard, 11 at right tackle and 19 at left tackle...In his final two seasons, the lineman delivered 123 knockdowns, 17 touchdown-resulting blocks and six downfield blocks...During that span, he was penalized nine times (seven false starts, two holding calls)...Allowed seven quarterback pressures and seven sacks on 753 pass plays...Also recorded four solo tackles and recovered one fumble.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd also have to be lying if Mike Shanahan wasn't on the back of my mind here. How so? I still firmly believe Shanny is our next coach. In his OL system he requires athletic OL. A totally different kind of lineman that Houck employs. Meredith is one of the few OL in this draft that fits either system. That is a big plus for me.

Here it says NE Offensive Line coach worked out Meredith personally.
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/03/29/ot-m...olina-pro-day/

http://nfldotcom.files.wordpress.com...pg?w=300&h=184

"New England Patriots offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia was on hand at South Carolina’s March 25 pro day to personally work out tackle Jamon Meredith."

Combine Video: http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80f2f75d

DraftGuys Video:

Reasons I like Meredith:

1. Projection to Guard.
2. Smarts
3. Versatility
4. Athletic lineman who could excel in Houck or Shanny's system.
5. Played against the best competition in college.

And just for reading... here you go.. Pics of Urban Meyer's daughter.

Pics I stumbled across when searching for images of Jamon.

Last edited by D-Unit : 04-04-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:04 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow good look out on Dorrell Scott. He has the tools to be a find. I saw him play a little bit last year, and wouldn't mind taking him. I would love it if he ended up like Ratliff.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:54 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Meredith may be versatile but, I've seen him turned around, knocked on his butt, or just beaten like a dead horse far too often, to like him as a prospect. He wasnt anything special in a gamecocks uniform. You'd be hardpressed to find many Gamecock fans that would give him a glowing endorsement. I'd agree he is athletically gifted but, he hasnt been much of a football player to this point.

and if we're talking guard...He'd be very, very undersized for a Houck guard and his questionable strength may be burdensome at guard as well.

Anyway, he was bound to impress in workouts but, he is certainly a boom or bust guy and after seeing him start nearly 40 games here, I'd lean toward the latter.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 04-04-2009 at 08:23 PM.
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:47 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Meredith may be versatile but, I've seen him turned around, knocked on his butt, or just beaten like a dead horse far too often, to like him as a prospect. He wasnt anything special in a gamecocks uniform. You'd be hardpressed to find many Gamecock fans that would give him a glowing endorsement. I'd agree he is athletically gifted but, he hasnt been much of a football player to this point.

and if we're talking guard...He'd be very, very undersized for a Houck guard and his questionable strength may be burdensome at guard as well.

Anyway, he was bound to impress in workouts but, he is certainly a boom or bust guy and after seeing him start nearly 40 games here, I'd lean toward the latter.
How was his play as a Guard?
Old 04-04-2009, 11:00 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Damn Urban Meyer's daughter is bad as ****, I wonder if anyone on UF hit it :D

I didn't go through the whole post yet, but I think it's a good choice...I really like Meredith, he has some tools you can coach, and I think he's a good prospect, but I like the choice because I am interested in reading more about him.

Quote:
Old 04-04-2009, 11:11 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How was his play as a Guard?
Decent enough, even good at times but, our running game still never materialized and we always ranked at the bottom of the SEC in sacks against. It's funny, they talk about Meredith being the smartest on the line or anchoring our line. That's really not saying much considering we've probably had the worst O-Line in the SEC while he's played with us. He's a toolsy athletic guy who's college production was minimal. Scouts love him because of the athletic ability and versatility he brings, but again the production was not there. In the right scheme, maybe he becomes something real nice but, I wouldnt want him in Dallas. He's undersized inside and he tends to be more of a finesse tackle, tipping the scales at just over 300 lbs. Undersized and finesse, not the things Houck likes in his O-Lineman.

I dont want to be too hard on the guy because, I really do like him as a person. They're right when they say he is quiet...he is. He's a quiet humble guy who was loved by his teammates, I really do wish for him the best, he is an SC alum after all but, I'm certainly wary. I'll agree with what everyone has to say, the tools seem to be there but, there is no guarantee that he will ever truly get it and let those abilities carry over to real games. A Boom or Bust guy. I honestly wouldnt touch him...not early at least and not for us at all.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 04-04-2009 at 11:18 PM.
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:30 AM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Kindle means Spencer failed.

Good talk, but let's get this thread back on track.

Any other players in this draft anyone wants to hype up? If you have a guy that you'll say later "so and so was my guy way back when"... then now is the time and this is the place.
I want credit for Clay Matthews hype!! Haha
Old 04-07-2009, 08:38 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default About Pegues

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ888 View Post
That's a nice writeup. You've got me sold. Anyone wanna give the opposite side of the story?
Well, about Derek Pegues, PFW has him as the 23rd-ranked CB, probably for some real good reasons. They also say he has the "continually run afoul of the law ... suspect character." I googled him up awhile ago & he had several incidents since 2006, including hitting a cop last season, how dumb is that?

http://life.atlantafalcons.com/index...wtopic=3834231

He is far & away the biggest character risk in this draft. He is also considered too short to be an NFL DB, if he plays in the league at all I think he will have to make it as a KR exclusively. After the Adam "Don't Call Me Pacman Anymore" Jones disaster, do the Cowboys need another DB who could become a locker room cancer?
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:29 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Chung

Okay, following Thule's guidance, here it goes...

Patrick Chung Safety Oregon

5' 11 212 lbs. 4.54

This guy gets all over the field. His speed is fine. He hits like a truck. And when he has the ball in his hands, he can make things happen.

He seems to me to be like a poor man's Ed Reed.

To quote Scott Wright-The player every team needs.

Last edited by thule : 04-08-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:38 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

Okay, I suck. I cant get the youtube link to post.

But that doesnt mean Pat Chung sucks. Just check him out. He would start year one...

Old 04-08-2009, 12:58 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Chung just isn't that great in coverage. He has problems matching up with TE's and shouldn't even be asked to try and cover a WR. He's limited to press coverage (like so many guys in college are) and he's more of an in-the-box type of guy.

Beyond that, he is supposedly an idiot. No off the field problems that I'm aware of, but I've heard teams are skeptical that he can be the leader of a secondary. He needs others to tell him where to go and what to do. He's not a cerebral player.

So lets think about this -- a Safety who can't cover, can't lead the secondary, and needs to be told where to go and what to do in order to be successful. His strengths are in the box, which he displayed while playing the Rover position at Oregon.

Sounds like Roy Williams.

I'm just not a Chung fan. I would like to be, but there are too many things about him that I don't like.