Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-17-2009, 08:55 AM    (permalink
Nj.
Rookie

Nj. is a cocksman.Nj. is a cocksman.Nj. is a cocksman.Nj. is a cocksman.Nj. is a cocksman.
Default 1st Round Possibilities

I figured that with the draft coming up and there being a lot of speculation about who the jets could take I would make a thread going over who the Jets could take in this draft.

1. Trade up and draft Matt Stafford
I completely doubt that this happens but it is a possibility and Matt Stafford is a great player who fits a need.

2. Draft Mark Sanchez
The Jets may be interested in Sanchez if he falls to them somehow, but I wouldn't like the pick, I think Stafford is the only one in this draft who is a real upgrade over Clemens.

3. Draft Josh Freeman
Once again, I don't believe any QB in the draft is an upgrade from Clemens, other than Stafford so I don't think this pick makes much sense, nor do I think it will happen.

4. Draft Jeremy Maclin
If he somehow falls to 17, this is absolutely the pick the Jets are going to make, he is a great slot guy and can play outside, and fits a great need.

5. Draft Darius Hayward-Bey
Fastest man in the draft and could be an immediate difference maker.

6. Draft Knowshon Moreno
He only runs about a 4.55 but he will still be running a 4.55 in the 4th quarter. His stamina and work ethic are above all others and he could be a potential replacement of Thomas Jones, along with the Jets having the ability to put him in the slot.

7. Draft Andre Smith
Another amazing pick if he was to somehow fall to the Jets, but most likely not going to happen.

8. Draft Brandon Pettigrew
Dustin Keller is a good receiving TE but Pettigrew would give the Jets a blocker along with 2 big targets with hands, something not every team has.

9. Draft Defense
If the Jets wanted to go defensively, you can never go wrong with linemen, making B.J Raji and Tyson Jackson possibilities

J-E-T-S
Nj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:29 PM    (permalink
Nj.
Rookie

Nj. is a cocksman.Nj. is a cocksman.Nj. is a cocksman.Nj. is a cocksman.Nj. is a cocksman.

Any thoughts? Who do you guys want?

J-E-T-S
Old 04-18-2009, 07:35 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For the 1st round I want either Maclin or DHB. I really dont see us taking a QB anymore as I have heard that Clemens looks "sharp" so far in camp. I can see us taking Pettigrew but I would be strongly against that. No way we take Moreno. And I doubt that we take Tyson Jackson. He would be a great fit but he wont be there at 17.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:37 PM    (permalink
Nj.
Rookie

Well a couple of these guys are going to be available, they cant all be gone lol

J-E-T-S
Old 04-18-2009, 07:43 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nj. View Post
Well a couple of these guys are going to be available, they cant all be gone lol
Out of that list the onyy guys that will probabaly be available are Freeman, DHB, Moreno and Petttigrew. If they feel that Clemens will be the QB next year, I honestly think the pick will be DHB or Pettigrew.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-18-2009, 07:54 PM    (permalink
Nj.
Rookie

I think taking Pettigrew here would be too early, maybe if they are interested in him they could trade down to like 25 and get extra picks

J-E-T-S
Old 04-18-2009, 08:23 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Yea I dont want pettigrew at all. Taking a TEi n the 1st who will be a back up is just stupid.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-18-2009, 08:27 PM    (permalink
Nj.
Rookie

Well not exactly a back up, under Rex Ryan we are probably going to be running a lot of two TE sets so he could be very useful, imagine a team trying to deal with both Dustin Keller and Brandon Pettigrew?

J-E-T-S
Old 04-19-2009, 03:38 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I heard we talked about Pettigrew in our pre-draft presser (not that I think there's going to be much useful stuff but I'd still like to listen to it) so perhaps our interest in him is a smokescreen. I think he definitely could do some nice things for us, I remember being very impressed with him the first time I saw him play in their bowl game when he was a junior, but I just think we could get more value than a second tight end. I'd see it making more sense if we plan on running two TE sets with no fullback, but we'll still have Tony Richardson around this year.

Personally I'd love Maclin, DHB is interesting although I kind of prefer Britt. Just like the way he plays and really like his production. Not really interested in a QB or a RB, although I could be talked into Wells. Wouldn't mind Oher or Andre Smith if they fell, and Tyson Jackson would be alright. Those are probably my personal favorites, but a trade down to the late first/early second with Britt or maybe even Jarron Gilbert as a target is probably my favorite scenario. Trading up for a QB would be my least favorite.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 06:02 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want a wr or rb/Moreno

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:29 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip View Post
I want a wr or rb/Moreno
Moreno is an awful fit for us. He brings nothing to the table for us.
I like him alot but he is small. Leon is quicker and faster than him.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-19-2009, 09:12 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Moreno isn't exactly small. He'd essentially be Thomas Jones with better receiving ability and worse breakaway speed. Not sure if he's a great fit though.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:56 PM    (permalink
Nj.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
Moreno is an awful fit for us. He brings nothing to the table for us.
I like him alot but he is small. Leon is quicker and faster than him.
I am a UGA fan and you cannot understand what he brings to the table unless you watch every one of his games like I did. He has the absolute BEST work ethic in this draft, and regardless of talent that is one thing i can promise you about Knowshon. He has the best balance of any RB in this draft and does not go down. And he fights until both knees hit the ground, and sometimes doesnt even stop then, and runs until the refs blow the whistle enough times. We can also line him up in the slot and use him as a WR. The biggest thing about Knowshon is that even though he only runs a 4.55, he has the complete stamina to be running a 4.55 in the 4th quarter... while everyone else is getting slower he does not slow down, he is going to be an absolute stud wherever he winds up.

J-E-T-S
Old 04-20-2009, 09:48 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A guy like Moreno would be a better fit for us if we were completely replacing TJ. But he's a very similar player, and it's not like backs really have to develop much. If we bring in somebody at all I'd like it to be a bigger guy, though I think we may just pass on a RB this draft.

In the pre-draft presser Tannenbaum mentioned that they like to trade up into the late first round range (Keller). Besides a WR like Britt or Nicks, any guesses as to who it could be for if we did do that this year? Maybe a surprise pick like Donald Brown? Jarron Gilbert has to be a possibility there and could be considered a reach by some, but Rex may have fallen in love with his potential in the scheme. FWIW 52 and 76 would get us up to 32, which could make sense for the Steelers if they are targeting Eric Wood. Some other solid OL's and 3-4 DL's should be available in that range.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:00 PM    (permalink
TT Gator
Rookie

TT Gator could make a wolverine purr.TT Gator could make a wolverine purr.TT Gator could make a wolverine purr.TT Gator could make a wolverine purr.TT Gator could make a wolverine purr.TT Gator could make a wolverine purr.

We won't draft Pettigrew we just used a first round pick on Keller last year for crying out loud. I hope we don't use it on defence because as far as i'm concerned after the players we picked up in FA we have of the best defences in the league. Now both our starting DEs are over 30 but they both have a year or two left in them so I think we could wait till next years draft or try to a 3rd to mid round sleeper. Either a bigger DE or a quick DT like Jarron Gilbert would be perfect. Alot of people our putting a RB for the Jets in the first in mock drafts but I think it's nonsense considering the lack of receiving threats we have to even consider RB when we have Jones and Washington. Although i'm not againest one as early as the 2nd there is alot of value at RB all the way till the mid rounds. After the 2nd you have Andre Brown, Javon Ringer, Adrian Foster, Peerman, Sheets, and Jennings who are projected to go in the 3rd to mid rounds and they're all quality backs with upside. It all comes down to how much confidence the Jets management has in Clemens(or possibly Ratliff). I think even in Sanchez there is little gain short term overall since he'll be a rookie, he'll have very little in passing threats, and he'll have to adjust from being on one of the best teams in college with an overall weak conference to being in the pros in one of the toughest divisions in the football. Freeman IMO would be a waste of a pick(reminds me of a poor man's Jamarcus Russell). In any other draft he'd be a 2nd or 3rd rounder maybe even later. It's just cause of the weak QB class, his good size, and strong arm that he's consider a 1st rounder. It's looking more and more likely that ALL 3 first day QBs will go Top 10 which means NY would hafta trade up no matter what. This brings us back to their choice... either you trade up and give up at least a 2nd and 3rd(maybe even a 1st next year) then get Sanchez which means they'll hafta hope they can get a late round sleeper at WR or he'll have few targets to throw to. Or they grab a receiver in the 1st with elite speed, then a RB and DE in the 2nd/3rd to serve as replacements in years to come. If they want a QB to develop they should wait till the 4th and grab Rhett Bomar, Nate Davis, or Stephan Mcgee.
TT Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:53 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Gator View Post
We won't draft Pettigrew we just used a first round pick on Keller last year for crying out loud. I hope we don't use it on defence because as far as i'm concerned after the players we picked up in FA we have of the best defences in the league. Now both our starting DEs are over 30 but they both have a year or two left in them so I think we could wait till next years draft or try to a 3rd to mid round sleeper. Either a bigger DE or a quick DT like Jarron Gilbert would be perfect. Alot of people our putting a RB for the Jets in the first in mock drafts but I think it's nonsense considering the lack of receiving threats we have to even consider RB when we have Jones and Washington. Although i'm not againest one as early as the 2nd there is alot of value at RB all the way till the mid rounds. After the 2nd you have Andre Brown, Javon Ringer, Adrian Foster, Peerman, Sheets, and Jennings who are projected to go in the 3rd to mid rounds and they're all quality backs with upside. It all comes down to how much confidence the Jets management has in Clemens(or possibly Ratliff). I think even in Sanchez there is little gain short term overall since he'll be a rookie, he'll have very little in passing threats, and he'll have to adjust from being on one of the best teams in college with an overall weak conference to being in the pros in one of the toughest divisions in the football. Freeman IMO would be a waste of a pick(reminds me of a poor man's Jamarcus Russell). In any other draft he'd be a 2nd or 3rd rounder maybe even later. It's just cause of the weak QB class, his good size, and strong arm that he's consider a 1st rounder. It's looking more and more likely that ALL 3 first day QBs will go Top 10 which means NY would hafta trade up no matter what. This brings us back to their choice... either you trade up and give up at least a 2nd and 3rd(maybe even a 1st next year) then get Sanchez which means they'll hafta hope they can get a late round sleeper at WR or he'll have few targets to throw to. Or they grab a receiver in the 1st with elite speed, then a RB and DE in the 2nd/3rd to serve as replacements in years to come. If they want a QB to develop they should wait till the 4th and grab Rhett Bomar, Nate Davis, or Stephan Mcgee.
The enter key is your friend good sir.

Disagree about Pettigrew. Keller is a one-dimensional tight end, and he and Pettigrew are entirely different players. To be effective offensively, we need a multidimensional tight end to play across from him. Pettigrew takes pressure off Keller and the wideouts, adds our biggest redzone body we've had in awhile, and helps the run game. Keller can flex more, two tight end sets fit the run-first approach, and he'll bring a lot of things to this team. He fits the offense, and if he's the best player on the board then you take him. End of story. I don't love it, but he would absolutely help this team.

Also disagree about first round RB's. Don't like Moreno, but with Wells it's the same as Pettigrew. Big back, fits the run-first attack, could be great value at 17. He's basically the end of that though. Like the second, third round options or Glenn Coffee to develop in the fourth. Frame to grow some and the right running style to be a power back.

Defensive guys...I'd rather not but again if he's the best guy on the board and will help this team the most you do it. I don't take a WR that's going to start but be a mediocre player or has a high bust factor over an end I feel is a better player that will make a bigger impact for us. That's going to be hard to find, but if it's the case then so be it.

Quarterbacks, I don't really want one but I don't agree with your first round vs. later rounds approach. While I think drafting a QB in the first round for the sake of drafting one there is a mistake (just because QB's taken in the first are more likely to pan out than others doesn't mean you taking a QB there will make him more likely to pan out, a 7th round talent is still a 7th round talent if you take him in the first) those are the only guys that are an upgrade over what we have right now. If you take one at all, you take a guy early. I'd rather not take one, but I'd rather take any of those three in the first than any other QB in round 2 or 3, and almost any QB in round 4. I just think it would be pointless.

Just think you look at the draft with a little too much of a blanket approach. I sympathize with a lot of what you're saying and generally agree with a lot of the general thoughts, but there's way more wiggle room to it than you give the draft credit for in my opinion.

Last edited by derza222 : 04-21-2009 at 11:55 PM.