Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 04-16-2009, 04:36 PM    (permalink
Kase1
Rookie

Kase1 is a cocksman.Kase1 is a cocksman.Kase1 is a cocksman.
Default Will Beatty, LT, UCONN

The guy is supposed to be one of if not the best finesse blocker in this draft or at least the only one thats obtainable for us (possibly in the 2nd if we trade the 1st for Braylon) and with Diehl being a natural OG we could draft Beatty in hopes that he could become what Guy Whimper never became.... a viable starting option at LT

Let Beatty get a season or 2 under DD and when Diehl reaches 30, shift him back inside or to the right side if/when Big Suge Knight shows signs of slowing down on the RT side.... Gotta love the reports about him too

Strengths:
Terrific size with a large frame...Excellent athleticism...Light on his feet...Real quick and agile...Terrific footwork...Mobile enough to pull and get to the second level...Slides well laterally...Outstanding balance...Redirects well...Does a real nice job of sustaining his blocks...Superb pass blocker with the ability to handle speed off the edge...Smart with good awareness...Solid intangibles... Still has upside.

Weaknesses:
Needs to get stronger...Could stand to add some weight...Is not overly powerful...Doesn't get a great push in the run game...Can be bullrushed and does not anchor well...Does not use his hands well and could improve his overall technique ... Has some minor durability concerns.

and from NFL.com.....
Analysis
Positives: Intriguing athleticism. ... Gets to the second level quickly. ... Good agility and straight-line speed to pull. ... Explosive initial pop. ... Flashes upper-body strength to lift and pancake defenders. ... Flashes an effective initial punch and has the body control to recoil and ease into his set. ... Good lateral quickness in pass protection. ... Good balance. ... Ascending talent despite starting four years. ... Characterized by UConn staff as having greatly matured as a senior. ... Could be just scratching the surface of his potential.

Negatives: Doesn't always sustain his blocks long enough. ... Good straight-line speed, but loses his feet in the trash. ... Potential one-year wonder. ... Really stepped up his level of play as a senior, sparking some debate whether his level of play will diminish once he's cashed an NFL paycheck. ... Earned no postseason accolades over his first three seasons, but earned first-team All-Big East honors as a senior. ... Broken leg that ended his sophomore season after only seven games requires a medical check at the Combine.

NY GIANTS 4X SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!!!!!
Kase1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:51 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Glorified Guy Whimper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:54 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not a big fan and I'm a UConn fan. He seems like a bit of a wimp. Very athletic but seems lazy at times. I'd compare him to Duane Brown who was awful last year for the Texans. Left tackle potential but I doubt he's ever a stud.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:41 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy View Post
Not a big fan and I'm a UConn fan. He seems like a bit of a wimp. Very athletic but seems lazy at times. I'd compare him to Duane Brown who was awful last year for the Texans. Left tackle potential but I doubt he's ever a stud.
I don't know where you got the idea of Brown being awful; Brown was a very good run blocker last year, average pass blocker.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:53 PM    (permalink
Kase1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
Glorified Guy Whimper.
Ouch I half heartedly felt that way

Old 04-16-2009, 10:16 PM    (permalink
Mr. Hero
Veteran

Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Beatty's going to be a starter for many years at LT in this league. That said I doubt he even lasts until 29 so we almost certainly won't even have a shot at him.
Mr. Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:37 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Glorified Guy Whimper.
Thats exactly what he is. After scouting him, I'm not all that impressed. I don't feel he's worthy of a 2nd round draft pick.

Simply way too finesse for my liking. We can get a guy like him to develop in the middle rounds, and we already have Whimper.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:11 PM    (permalink
Kase1
Rookie

Quote:
Glorified Guy Whimper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Thats exactly what he is. After scouting him, I'm not all that impressed. I don't feel he's worthy of a 2nd round draft pick.

Simply way too finesse for my liking. We can get a guy like him to develop in the middle rounds, and we already have Whimper.
Well then we should have been a lil further along with Guy if we were gonna have him as our LT in the shoots ready 2 go.... I still KIND of have faith in Whimpy but Beatty just seems like he could step up and play excellently in a year or so under Diehl as to where Whimpy seems to be paddling with one oar

Old 04-18-2009, 06:20 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kase1 View Post
Well then we should have been a lil further along with Guy if we were gonna have him as our LT in the shoots ready 2 go.... I still KIND of have faith in Whimpy but Beatty just seems like he could step up and play excellently in a year or so under Diehl as to where Whimpy seems to be paddling with one oar
Whimper actually was pretty decent during our SB year. We didn't get a chance to see what he's made of this past year because of a foot injury.

My problem with Whimper isn't pass protection, in fact he's probably better than Diehl in that aspect, he's just a cream puff in the run game.

Our oline is built on nastiness. You don't have to be the biggest guy in the world like the Eagles oline, but you have to be nasty. And Whimper just isn't nasty, and I don't think he ever will be.

After scouting Beatty some more, I think I might have scouted him incorrectly. He's not Whimper.

He just needs to get stronger, and add some weight. His balance can improve as well. But these are all correctable flaws. He's not overly strong, but I like his effort in the run game. Right now he struggles because he's simply not strong enough, and has trouble with bullrushes and getting a consistent push in the run game because of it.

But if he can gain weight, and get stronger, I think this guy can be nasty. I stand corrected.

In fact, as odd as it sounds because I just ripped on him before, I'm hopping back onto the bandwagon.

The difference between Whimper and Beatty isn't physical. Its mental. Beatty has that nasty demeanor that Whimper lacks. So if we give him a year to develop, gain weight and get stronger, I think this guy can be a real monster.

I'm back on the bandwagon, and wouldn't mind him at all anymore. I was wrong before.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:21 PM    (permalink
Mr. Hero
Veteran

Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Mr. Hero wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I agree with your last post there BBD. I've been on beatty's bandwagon for a while now. My only gripe with him is that he's too light and not strong enough to dominate. He's a very good run blocker for a "finesse guy" and has quick feet and a good feel for pass blocking. If plax hadn't gone full ****** or we manage to get braylon while keeping our 29th pick I would be/am hoping Beatty slides to us.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:34 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Many Cowboys fans like Beatty, but are fairly confident that he won't be there for us at 51. He's not my top choice even if he were there as I'm hoping for Jarron Gilbert myself... but he is Top 2 or 3. So yeah, I like the guy. Not sure where some would think he's not a force in the run game. Ask Donald Brown if he had any luck on his way to a record breaking season.

But the reason why I like Beatty myself is different from why I think other Cowboys like him. Yes, I admit some craziness to this idea, but I've convinced myself that Mike Shanahan will be coaching the Cowboys next year. Beatty is high on my list of OTs because his frame fits the ZBS to a T and his mentality is that of a mauler. If Shanny is the HC, then great, if he is not then Beatty could still fit what Hudson Houck does as long as he continues to develop his strength and build. He's a tweener of sorts who could fit in either scheme.

I've put together a mock that I plan to complete tonight, but I have you guys taking Eben Britton. Personally, he's right down your alley as far as being a tough run blocker, who has high football IQ, good technician, experience on both the Left and Right, very durable, and should have a nice long NFL career. He's not oozing with athleticism like some other lineman and his short arms and pop are in question, but he's great at what he does because he's got that competitive fire that drives him to work harder and believe that he can beat you if he gives more effort on every play. Good finisher who plays to the whistle.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:47 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Britton scares me because of his short arms. I rather go after Beatty honestly. I want long arms on my OTs.

Beatty is a project player. He needs to sit for a year while getting stronger. A team like the Giants and Cowboys have that luxury with 2 solidified starting OTs, so its not a bad idea to pick him up.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:25 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Britton scares me because of his short arms. I rather go after Beatty honestly. I want long arms on my OTs.

Beatty is a project player. He needs to sit for a year while getting stronger. A team like the Giants and Cowboys have that luxury with 2 solidified starting OTs, so its not a bad idea to pick him up.
In my mind that makes logical sense, and amazingly there's only 1 tackle who has shorter arms than him, but does a 2 inch reach difference really mean that much on the playing field when alls said and done? His technique is highly advanced, he's a blue collar worker and he outplays his talents out of sheer will. To me that it the prototype Giants O-lineman.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:08 PM    (permalink
Kase1
Rookie

Yo BBD welcome back on the wagon...... If we have enough people we can pretend like we'll influence J-Reese

Old 04-22-2009, 04:13 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
I don't know where you got the idea of Brown being awful; Brown was a very good run blocker last year, average pass blocker.
The Texans ran for a pitiful 2.99 yards per carry behind Brown last year, good for 31st among left tackles (D'Brickashaw Ferguson finished last.) That's worse than Kwame Harris, etc. Brown also allowed the most sacks of any offensive tackle. He was easily one of the top two or three worst left tackles in the league last year.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:30 AM    (permalink
Mr. Hero
Veteran

Brown got handed too much responsibility too soon. He didn't get enough help, with a vet like winston on the other side they should've been able to leave a TE to help brown more often than not, but they didn't. His weaknesses got exposed but he did show a lot of flashes where he used his athletic ability and nastiness to get to the second level and blow linebackers there. It was a very inconsistent year for him but showed a lot of good things that make you think once he really puts it together he'll be a keeper.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:42 AM    (permalink
Mr. Hero
Veteran

You guys now I've still got wood right now.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:18 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am really liking what I have seen of Beatty so far

He has some ways to go, but I could see him beating out Diehl at LT (with Diehl reverting to LG) in the next year or two.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Kase1
Rookie

Im LOVIN Beatty now, I can see him be our starting LT allowing us to shift Diehl back inside where he'll be a MONSTER. Now if we can get a MEAN RT to mold under Mackenzie, cause I dont think Whimper is a starter for us, he just doesnt have that nasty demeanor

Old 01-06-2010, 07:10 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My thoughts on William Beatty:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hero View Post
You guys now I've still got wood right now.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:59 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good to know he's played well in spot duty, I was so pissed we traded back and passed on him. We could of sat him behind Flozell for a year or 2 and had our tackles of the future in Beatty and Free, whenever a LT is lacking in strength he usually just needs some time to hit the weight room to improve in that area.

Hopefully he gets more playing time next year so I can get a better look at him, because were probably still in the market for a LT unless we kick Free over(which I think he can do, but is still a question mark).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:00 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Good to know he's played well in spot duty, I was so pissed we traded back and passed on him. We could of sat him behind Flozell for a year or 2 and had our tackles of the future in Beatty and Free, whenever a LT is lacking in strength he usually just needs some time to hit the weight room to improve in that area.

Hopefully he gets more playing time next year so I can get a better look at him, because were probably still in the market for a LT unless we kick Free over(which I think he can do, but is still a question mark).
Free shouldn't have lost his job to Columbo at the end of the season imo.

Beatty has the tools, and the fire, but he needs to bulk up and needs more experience. I'm hoping he'll be what I think he can be.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:03 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What I've always loved about Beatty is that despite his slighter frame he's always done a great job of using his burst and hands to be very effective as a run blocker. He's got the feet and instincts to become a wonderful pass blocker, but if he bulks up he could also be a wonderful run blocker. Our OL should be a lot better next season, solely because of Beatty moving into the LT spot and letting Diehl move back to LG.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote