Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-25-2009, 11:42 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Did someone say we gave up a lot for Sanchez? You sir are a joke.

In any case, I love him so I love it. If Nicks ends up being great for the Giants I'll be sad but eh. QB is more important than WR. Plus, I have a pretty good feeling we're going to go with Barden or Gilbert on the second day since Rex seemed to get close to Gilbert and Sanchez has done a couple workouts now with Barden. Maybe not though. I love the draft so far though, especially considering who was drafted after our second round pick position.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:37 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
In any case, I love him so I love it. If Nicks ends up being great for the Giants I'll be sad but eh. QB is more important than WR. Plus, I have a pretty good feeling we're going to go with Barden or Gilbert on the second day since Rex seemed to get close to Gilbert and Sanchez has done a couple workouts now with Barden. Maybe not though. I love the draft so far though, especially considering who was drafted after our second round pick position.
I'd be very happy if the Jets draft Ramses Barden, and I'd feel better about the Sanchez pick. I look at Barden as Brandon Marshall 2. Not that they're the same type of receiver, but a big fish in a small pond type of deal.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:43 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think you guys gave up much at all, 2 roster bubble guys, and Ratliff isn't needed if you draft Sanchez anyway...If you can find a way to pull in Barden then I love the draft so far.

I think Barden is a risk, but the fact that he's worked out with Sanchez before, and he offers some #1 WR potential that late, he's worth that risk to see what you have by next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:45 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Crickett, I agree with you. If we draft Barden or even Murphy, Ill feel a lot better with the selection of Sanchez.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:46 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I don't think you guys gave up much at all, 2 roster bubble guys, and Ratliff isn't needed if you draft Sanchez anyway...If you can find a way to pull in Barden then I love the draft so far.

I think Barden is a risk, but the fact that he's worked out with Sanchez before, and he offers some #1 WR potential that late, he's worth that risk to see what you have by next year.
Barden is a risk.

Going with Jerricho Cotchery, Chansi Stuckey and Brad Smith/Dave Clowney as your starting receivers is a bigger risk.

JMO.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:47 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Barden is a risk.

Going with Jerricho Cotchery, Chansi Stuckey and Brad Smith/Dave Clowney as your starting receivers is a bigger risk.

JMO.
Agreed. That would also kill our running game as the safties will be playing in the box.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-26-2009, 01:28 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Two things really hit home for me in Rex and Tannenbaum's presser.

Quote:
On who Sanchez is…
TANNENBAUM: He lights up a room. The story that really resonated with me was bringing the receivers to Mission Viejo High School on a regular basis, running routes and working on things. He washed their uniforms, took them to a water park and then to a barbecue. Rex always talks about building a team. Obviously that’s the reason behind moving training camp. Everything we do is about building a team. When I heard Mark say that, it really resonated with me because that’s not when the lights are on or when the media is around. That’s really who Mark Sanchez is. When I hear Rex say “play like a Jet” and the type of a person we want, I thought this player landed on all those spots on and off the field. As a general manager, you watch the tape, but you become more convinced in the position, the player, the person and say this is what the head coach wants and this is an opportunity to get a player. So, we felt this was a great fit.
That's what I always look at when dealing with the QBs. Especially in a situation like ours, I feel like the leadership and character is far more important than any physical traits they possess. That's why I wanted him or Troy. He just seems like a terrific guy.

Quote:
On if playing in New York appealed to Sanchez…
I would definitely say so. It takes a person with certain confidence to play here. I don’t think he’s afraid of the big stage at all. Instead, I think he’s a guy that’s going to succeed wherever he goes, in my opinion, but the fact that it is here is great. He’s not afraid of that. He’s going to be successful.
That's how I've felt. That's why I felt like Clemens and Ratliff would have a hard time succeeding, being that they're not especially strong personalities coming from small towns.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:29 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Best move in the draft I've ever seen.

- Ko Simpson
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:34 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
Best move in the draft I've ever seen.
Yeah I agree.

we get:
possible franchise qb

we gave up:
2nd rounder
elam (3rd string safety)
coleman (possible de starter)
ratliff (if not traded, would be 3rd on the depth chart)
Old 04-26-2009, 01:40 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
Yeah I agree.

we get:
possible franchise qb

we gave up:
2nd rounder
elam (3rd string safety)
coleman (possible de starter)
ratliff (if not traded, would be 3rd on the depth chart)
And there was nothing at that 2nd round pick that would've been a good choice. No 3-4 DEs or quality WRs.

In my mind you gave up 4 backups to move up from 17 to 5.

- Ko Simpson
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:02 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

I just realized all three runningbacks we've been talking about are still on the board as well.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:13 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

There's a rumor going around that we tried to get back into the first to grab Harvin. Pretty interesting if it's true.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:57 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
There's a rumor going around that we tried to get back into the first to grab Harvin. Pretty interesting if it's true.

I heard that too, but we just didnt have the ammo.

I would really like us to address OL depth too today in addition to WR.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:20 AM    (permalink
okay123
Rookie

okay123 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

trading up to the top of the 3rd to get shonn greene was interesting. i thought we were taking jarron gilbert, but i guess not. this is similar to what we did with keller when baker was disgruntled about his contract since TJ hasn't reported to voluntary workouts yet.
okay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:23 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmess15 View Post
I heard that too, but we just didnt have the ammo.

I would really like us to address OL depth too today in addition to WR.
The Jets no longer have any more picks in the top 190. I think the WR ship has sailed. At this point, the best hope seems to be Matt Jones on the waiver wire. :(

Free agent WR's
Drew Bennett
Mike Furrey
Darrell Jackson
Matt Jones
Joe Jurevicius
Jerry Porter
Shaun McDonald
Koren Robisnon
Amani Toomer
Reggie Williams

Last edited by Crickett : 04-26-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:36 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Wow. We traded our 4th? Not good. Not good at all...
Old 04-26-2009, 09:46 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Wow. We traded our 4th? Not good. Not good at all...
Yeah that's really kind of disappointing. All we've got left is the 6th. I like Shonn Greene a lot but he certainly could have been available at 76 and we really need more picks still. I thought if anything it would make sense to move down, at least not moving the 4th. Guess the scouting department really did not like the draft very much this year.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:52 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Guess the scouting department really did not like the draft very much this year.
I think its not that they didn't like this draft but rather this is the Jets draft philosophy now.

Last year the Jets had two picks in the first 110. The year before they had two picks in the first 175. They're just going to go get the two guys they want and not much else. Which is not something I agree with especially.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:05 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

I don't know if you can say Greene would have been there at 76. He was certainly one of the most talented players left in the draft so if they like him, then it's the right decision. Rex said it wasn't even close for them, so provided that's the truth, it's good that they got him at a point where he couldn't be taken ahead of them. It's just disappointing for me from the standpoint that we're so good at drafting fourth rounders.

However, I'm convinced Greene will be great for three reasons:

1) Last name Greene.
2) He's from New Jersey.
3) LOOK AT HIS LEGS.

Oh and I know Rex was talking about the three-headed attack, but I hope we trade Thomas Jones.

EDIT: I'll add a fourth. His nickname is War Machine. How cool is that?

Last edited by thetedginnshow : 04-26-2009 at 10:09 AM.
thetedginnshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:34 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Im fine with Shonn Greene but we seemed to give up alot to move up.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-26-2009, 10:36 AM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
Im fine with Shonn Greene but we seemed to give up alot to move up.
As a prospect, Shonn Greene was the RB I wanted the Jets to get.

But I wanted a WR more. Louis Murphy is still on the board too. :(
Old 04-26-2009, 10:37 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

I think the biggest thing to look at the Green selection is that they had all night to think about this. They had hours upon hours to decide whether selecting Green trumps our 3.12 plus our 4th rounder and obviously they felt so.

For what it's worth, Rex was on ESPN saying that Green was by far and away the number one person still on their board and that they were ecstatic to be able to land him.

He also said my new favorite phrase; GROUND AND POUND

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:38 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
I think its not that they didn't like this draft but rather this is the Jets draft philosophy now.

Last year the Jets had two picks in the first 110. The year before they had two picks in the first 175. They're just going to go get the two guys they want and not much else. Which is not something I agree with especially.
I think it's a little of both. That is certainly our philosophy, and I agree I don't like it very much. But at the same time, we could have traded 2010 picks to get these guys, particularly Greene.

Quote:
I don't know if you can say Greene would have been there at 76. He was certainly one of the most talented players left in the draft so if they like him, then it's the right decision. Rex said it wasn't even close for them, so provided that's the truth, it's good that they got him at a point where he couldn't be taken ahead of them. It's just disappointing for me from the standpoint that we're so good at drafting fourth rounders.

However, I'm convinced Greene will be great for three reasons:

1) Last name Greene.
2) He's from New Jersey.
3) LOOK AT HIS LEGS.

Oh and I know Rex was talking about the three-headed attack, but I hope we trade Thomas Jones.

EDIT: I'll add a fourth. His nickname is War Machine. How cool is that?
I definitely love Shonn Greene don't get me wrong. It's just there are still a lot of things we need to address. Trading up for Greene is a huge vote of confidence for David Clowney IMO. If Clowney and Cotchery are a good starting duo, and that's a huge if although they compliment each other fairly well, we're in alright shape with Stuckey in the slot, Keller as a receiving threat, Smith doing some things, etc. Obviously we'll be running the ball a ton. But you have positions like defensive line, offensive line, tight end, wide receiver, that still need help.

I think we may see a lot of signings for those little depth spots right after the draft. Things where we decided we wanted a few vets at some positions but wanted to see what we could do after the draft and didn't want to show our hand early. But particularly the offensive line and tight end spots need a hell of a lot of work.

Any guesses at what we do with our final selection? I'm just going to guess that it's a tight end, but a lineman or really anything else is likely as well.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:38 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Ive said this before and Ill say it again. I dont like our WR situation at all.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-26-2009, 10:46 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

I say our pick is BPA from the ACC.