Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-26-2009, 08:15 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rashad Jennings fell all the way into the 7th round. We didnt really didnt to move up in the 3rd to get Shonn Greene. We could have had so many more players.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:47 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That is, of course, if Jennings becomes as good of or a better player than Greene.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:58 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

Shonn Greene IMO will be the 2nd best RB in this draft behind Knowshown Moreno. I love the pick, just wish we didnt give up basically all of our day 2 to move up 10 spots. There's a chance that he couldve been around for us at 76, but I guess we were so enamored with this guy that we didnt want to risk losing him.

I'm not too worried about giving up the late rounders though, because we figure to be big players in the UDFA pool. I also heard we are looking to pickup 15 players.
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:58 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jets sign TE Andrew Davie (Arkansas)

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=562249

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:02 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh my god is he old. But he gets bonus points for being a Cardinal.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:15 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
That is, of course, if Jennings becomes as good of or a better player than Greene.
Right. We clearly had Shonn Greene rated very highly. So we'll see how it plays out, but they traded up to get a player, not a position.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:48 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just got back from Day 2. Absolutely sick experience. Heckled Mccshay, got on TV a thousand times, convinced Jaws/Wingo to mention Rutgers more, got Kiper to answer questions I yelled down during break. The ESPN guys are so much nicer than the NFL network guys. Other than Gruden, they all think they are too good to interact with fans.
I'm not very happy with the trade up for Greene. I would've been ok if it was Thomas Jones that was sent for the pick rather than all those choices.

I was happy to be a part of the Rutgers record for draft picks, but was disappointed how far Tiquan fell.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:51 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
Just got back from Day 2. Absolutely sick experience. Heckled Mccshay, got on TV a thousand times, convinced Jaws/Wingo to mention Rutgers more, got Kiper to answer questions I yelled down during break. The ESPN guys are so much nicer than the NFL network guys. Other than Gruden, they all think they are too good to interact with fans.
I'm not very happy with the trade up for Greene. I would've been ok if it was Thomas Jones that was sent for the pick rather than all those choices.

I was happy to be a part of the Rutgers record for draft picks, but was disappointed how far Tiquan fell.
1. Were you the guy in the Rutgers jersey one of the guys in the Jets jersies.

2. Now I wish I had gone.

3. I didn't go to day 2 because I'm not going back to the draft. I went to the Jets draft party in farmingdale and loved it despite the $25 fee.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:55 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
1. Were you the guy in the Rutgers jersey one of the guys in the Jets jersies.

2. Now I wish I had gone.

3. I didn't go to day 2 because I'm not going back to the draft. I went to the Jets draft party in farmingdale and loved it despite the $25 fee.
I was in a Brian Leonard Jersey with a group that had a Drob jersey, another old jet i forget, a bill, a pats, a rams brian leonard, and a Courtney Greene guy. We were in the front row of the balcony going nuts the entire time. So much fun stuff happened in the balcony. So many near fights, so much heckling, and the espn crew really is surprisingly down to earth and personable, especially Herm.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:06 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I was in a Brian Leonard Jersey with a group that had a Drob jersey, another old jet i forget, a bill, a pats, a rams brian leonard, and a Courtney Greene guy. We were in the front row of the balcony going nuts the entire time. So much fun stuff happened in the balcony. So many near fights, so much heckling, and the espn crew really is surprisingly down to earth and personable, especially Herm.
I need to review the tape since for the time being I do have the draft on my DVR and I do remember seeing that #63 jersey.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:19 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Now I wish I had caught more of the ESPN broadcast, I obviously would've recognized you there. Go with some dudes from school? Also surprising the ESPN guys are better to interact with than the NFLN guys when I first read it, but it actually makes some sense. I need to get to the draft one of these years.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:38 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Werd dude, i saw you a bunch of times.

Also,

The New York Jets have agreed to terms with undrafted rookie free-agent DE Jamaal Westerman (Rutgers). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The New York Jets have agreed to terms with undrafted rookie free-agent P T.J. Conley (Idaho). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The New York Jets have agreed to terms with undrafted rookie free-agent TE Robert Myers (Utah State). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

all per Kffl, and finally

Brian Costello, of the New York Post, reports the New York Jets have shown interested in unrestricted free-agent WR Plaxico Burress (Giants), according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:43 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETS5128 View Post
Werd dude, i saw you a bunch of times.

Brian Costello, of the New York Post, reports the New York Jets have shown interested in unrestricted free-agent WR Plaxico Burress (Giants), according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen.
He can't catch any passes in Rikers
Old 04-26-2009, 10:48 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmess15 View Post
He can't catch any passes in Rikers
lulz, we also signed Zach Potter

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:58 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETS5128 View Post
lulz, we also signed Zach Potter
Not a bad signing, if he bulks up a little he could definitely do some things at the 5-tech. Hopefully we get some decent guys, we drafted so few players and have so little depth at some spots people have to know this is a good opportunity to make a team.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:25 AM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Im really happy that we signed Westerman. He is a good player who probably would have been drafted if not for the injury that prevented him from engaging in the pre draft process.

Plax=No.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:50 AM    (permalink
timewaster
Rookie

timewaster timewaster timewaster timewaster

I am extremely happy with both Sanchez and Greene. And even the 6th round OG.

BUT! We have to stop trading down. Depth wins games late in the season. Like in the playoffs. If we continue to do what we are doing (we traded down twice last year) we are going to be thin at positions no?

I understand the marketing aspect of Sanchez. There is a new stadium to pay for. Look what they did by bringing Favre here.

The kid has upside. Played in a pro style offense. Against top college teams in primetime.

He talks the talk. I truelly hope he walks the walk.

The Jets have the pieces in place to let him start now. 3 RB's, an o-line that some might say the best in the league and what can be a good defense. Flacco did well. Who did Chad throw too in Miami?
timewaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:25 AM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

I agree that trading up in the draft can cause some depth issues, which the draft can really help with. However, I love how aggressive the Jets have been in recent drafts to get the players the want. I definitely believe you have to be aggressive. In the past, their moves have netted us Mangold, Keller, Revis, and Harris. Unbelievable.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:21 AM    (permalink
MyLostintention
Pro Bowler

MyLostintention hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDown View Post
I agree that trading up in the draft can cause some depth issues, which the draft can really help with. However, I love how aggressive the Jets have been in recent drafts to get the players the want. I definitely believe you have to be aggressive. In the past, their moves have netted us Mangold, Keller, Revis, and Harris. Unbelievable.
I agree completely. The Jets are finally showing some attitude, getting a coach like Ryan and going and getting all the players they want over the past 3 years.

I think the best part of this draft is that we made 2 big trades to get 2 franchise players and didnt have to trade away one draft pick next year. This is huge, now the Jets have all their picks next year and can trade down and get the needed depth.
MyLostintention is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:05 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLostintention View Post
I agree completely. The Jets are finally showing some attitude, getting a coach like Ryan and going and getting all the players they want over the past 3 years.

I think the best part of this draft is that we made 2 big trades to get 2 franchise players and didnt have to trade away one draft pick next year. This is huge, now the Jets have all their picks next year and can trade down and get the needed depth.
I think the attitude is going to stay the same. Go get the guy that you really want instead of hoping that he falls to you. It seems like we're getting a lot of our depth that would be late round players via free agency, and it creates an interesting trickle effect in the draft. Guys like Douglas, Strickland, and Howard Green will all play roles we wanted to draft guys for, though Douglas may start. Come draft day we end up having few late round picks and end up taking guys we probably would have taken earlier.

I mean with Slauson, I'd imagine we may have given him a look with our fifth round pick, perhaps our fourth. We obviously liked the guy and were happy he fell to the sixth. I'll bet if we had a seventh round pick or a couple there's a good chance one or two of the guys we signed as UDFA's would have been selected by us.

So the quality of players ends up decreasing a bit, but we manage to find the depth in different ways and ensure we get players we feel will be studs in the draft. And really outside of Clemens we haven't traded up for a player that hasn't panned out, and we actually traded down then up for him and took him lower than our original spot so it's kind of a wash.

I still think it's a concern though and hope that we start to focus on more than just having a bunch of good names in the starting lineup, because we won't be having seasons like last year where basically everybody stayed healthy on a consistent basis.

For the three needs we have left that seem to stick out the most: WR, TE, and DE, I think the team feels alright about them. At WR I really think both Clowney and the organization feel he is going to explode this year and provide a great downfield target. If he doesn't then he doesn't and I assume we'll look to find a guy to play across from Cotchery in FA or 2010, but I think that's a belief in the organization. Tannenbaum seems to refrain from mentioning him, but Ryan talks about him all the time. An example of this is actually related to the TE spot.

Seems like Ryan is cool with just using Hunter or Turner as our blocking TE across from Keller. It's actually probably a reasonable idea when you think about it, having a third tackle out there. They'll obviously block a lot better than any blocking TE would (which Ryan said in the post-draft presser) and actually if you think about it can offer some things in pass-pro if we are throwing the ball. When asked if bringing the third tackle into the game announces to the entire stadium that we're going to run the ball, Ryan said something along the lines of, "Yeah. But then we'll throw it over the top to Clowney for a big gain." It takes away a receiving threat, but you can still definitely throw with a third tackle in the game and actually if you are going to do so you'll presumably have better protection for your young QB. With Keller more or less a WR, two TE sets will basically be like having a better blocking Anthony Becht all over again, only we won't have to worry about him dropping the ball since he's not going to get any passes.

At defensive end there may be some belief in Mike Devito, but I think Ryan really likes Douglas and he'll start next year. Guys like Potter should have a shot to make this team. But the 2010 3-4 DE class looks nasty, I've wanted one from that class ever since all those guys like Suh, Oghobaase, Odrick, Jones, and McCoy went back to school so hopefully we get one out of there. But since defense is his specialty I'm sure Ryan knows what he's doing there and has a plan for who will be starting. Sounds like Coleman really wouldn't have fit his scheme anyway.

I do think the biggest need we have right now is OL depth though. If somebody goes down, we're going to start to struggle to run the ball and protect the quarterback. I fear it will be a lesser version of 2007 all over again if somebody gets hurt and we don't get some better depth on the line, and we all know that's not a good situation for a young quarterback.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:17 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Congrats on the qb guys. I really liked Mark Sanchez this year. I liked him more than Stafford, and thats before the bandwagon of Sanchez fans that popped out when Mayock stated the same.

I just hope you guys develop him slowly. He's a keeper.

Granted, I said I liked Gholston a lot last year, so take that with a grain of salt, lol. Gholston was one of my biggest misses I ever had with the draft. That one hurt.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:17 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2...ounding_u.html

Quote:
Thus far, the Jets have signed DE Jamaal Westerman (Rutgers), S Emanuel Cook (South Carolina), QB Chris Pizzoti (Harvard), P T.J. Conley (Idaho), OTs Tavita Thompson and Kyle Link (McNeese State) and TE/LS Andrew Davie (Arkansas), The Star-Ledger has learned.
Kinda random, but if Davie works out, is Dearth done? Instead of having a guy who only LS we could have a guy who actually gets snaps at TE and is our LS.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:19 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Congrats on the qb guys. I really liked Mark Sanchez this year. I liked him more than Stafford, and thats before the bandwagon of Sanchez fans that popped out when Mayock stated the same.

I just hope you guys develop him slowly. He's a keeper.

Granted, I said I liked Gholston a lot last year, so take that with a grain of salt, lol. Gholston was one of my biggest misses I ever had with the draft. That one hurt.
No reason why Gholston is a miss yet haha. He has Rex Ryan, the LB expert, coaching him now.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:19 AM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Lets see what Ryan can do with him. No doubt he has been a disappointment so far.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:21 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Id hope Ryan can make something out of him, but Rex doesn't sound too enthusiastic about him.

If anyone can do it, Rex can. Even without him, I like that pass rush. As long as Jenkins can stay in shape and conditioned.