Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-27-2009, 10:32 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Congrats on the qb guys. I really liked Mark Sanchez this year. I liked him more than Stafford, and thats before the bandwagon of Sanchez fans that popped out when Mayock stated the same.

I just hope you guys develop him slowly. He's a keeper.

Granted, I said I liked Gholston a lot last year, so take that with a grain of salt, lol. Gholston was one of my biggest misses I ever had with the draft. That one hurt.
I hope so too, but it looks like that's not going to happen. Either he wins the starting job, in which case we obviously aren't developing him slowly, or Clemens wins the starting job and he's proclaimed a bust before the season even starts. I'd prefer we just handed Clemens the job this year and pull him if he sucks, but apparently that won't be the case.

I think we're all holding out hope for VG, but nobody really expects much. Which at this point is nice. I know I'll be pleasantly surprised if he explodes and not shocked if he doesn't do anything. He's an x-factor for our defense this year. Don't think anybody thought he would be as tentative as he is and dislike contact as much as he does.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:36 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Granted, I said I liked Gholston a lot last year, so take that with a grain of salt, lol. Gholston was one of my biggest misses I ever had with the draft. That one hurt.
Hey..Gholston isn't a bust...YET!.

Does anyone think that maybe they move Vernon to DE now? Justwondering, not protypical 3-4 end but with the depth issues at DE it may be viable. The Giants did it with Kiwanuka so I think it is not out of the realm.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:43 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmess15 View Post
Hey..Gholston isn't a bust...YET!.

Does anyone think that maybe they move Vernon to DE now? Justwondering, not protypical 3-4 end but with the depth issues at DE it may be viable. The Giants did it with Kiwanuka so I think it is not out of the realm.
I actually did wonder the same thing. Doubt they do it, but I guess it's a possibility. Certainly in obvious passing situations it makes some sense, since you don't need as much bulk there. It'd let him get his hand in the dirt and just go after the QB where maybe he's more comfortable.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:47 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can see moving Gholston to DE on passing downs. Gholston's problem is not scheme, its not what they do with him, its none of that.

its desire. you can throw him anywhere on that field and tell him to do anything. its not about what he's being asked to do, its all up to him to succeed. if he gets some desire, he can be a successful player.

but im just not expecting it. never in my life, have i ever seen a lazier player on the field. the man just doesn't care. he's just out there.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:04 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:
I can see moving Gholston to DE on passing downs. Gholston's problem is not scheme, its not what they do with him, its none of that.

its desire. you can throw him anywhere on that field and tell him to do anything. its not about what he's being asked to do, its all up to him to succeed. if he gets some desire, he can be a successful player.

but im just not expecting it. never in my life, have i ever seen a lazier player on the field. the man just doesn't care. he's just out there.
Boy I hope you are wrong there, but I can see your point of view. It did drive me crazy last year as to why they just didnt line him up more at end on passing downs. If the guy can't get the idiosyncrasies of playing LB down in his first year thats fine, but at least get some bang for your buck and let him get the QB on 3rd and long.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:07 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah Mangini did not even attempt to figure out a way to use him. At the very least he could have been used as a pass rusher like you just said. Put him on the line and tell him to get the QB. Not worry about anything else. But yeah, this year I hope we do whatever we can with him. Last year he just wasted a roster spot.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:10 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
Yeah Mangini did not even attempt to figure out a way to use him. At the very least he could have been used as a pass rusher like you just said. Put him on the line and tell him to get the QB. Not worry about anything else. But yeah, this year I hope we do whatever we can with him. Last year he just wasted a roster spot.
Seemed like the only place we saw him was on special teams. He was clearly in the dog house for whatever reason and Mangini was too stubborn to allow him out of it. For someone with the mantra of "Do what it takes to win" "Look under every rock" etc he sure was pig headed and seemed to go against that very motto.

Sorry didnt mean to pile on Eric, but the Gholston talk got me on my soap box.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:59 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:

I do think the major thing with him is desire. If he wants it, he'll go get it. He certainly does have the talent. It's just tough to get somebody like that to change their stripes.

Read that in minicamp Westhoff let him have it for pulling up a bit when he was supposed to hit the "wedge" that they had set up, seems like he just doesn't like contact. Maybe Ryan will get him to flip the switch...

The other thing I read is that at OSU he really didn't "get it" till his third year, so maybe that's the case at the pro level. That is when he really exploded there. We'll see, but I really don't expect much. Disappointing, because he's so talented. Just seems like more of a weight room guy than a football player.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:00 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Id hope Ryan can make something out of him, but Rex doesn't sound too enthusiastic about him.
You must not have heard him talk about Gholston all too much.

And I bet the plan will be to develop Sanchez slowly, but I bet he wins the job by the pre-season.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:16 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post

And I bet the plan will be to develop Sanchez slowly, but I bet he wins the job by the pre-season.
he specifically said when he was with the Ravens, they felt he was a better player in shorts than in pads...

he's just doing coach talk now as damage control bc he's his HC now. even now, its not like he's slobbing the guys knob. all he's saying is he'll have an opportunity to showcase his ability. thats not saying much at all.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:21 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:

I dunno, Tannenbaum and Ryan said that when you trade up to get a guy like that you expect him to compete for the starting job. I think they want him to start this year. Which I don't really like, but it seems like that's the case so...

Quote:
he specifically said when he was with the Ravens, they felt he was a better player in shorts than in pads...

he's just doing coach talk now as damage control bc he's his HC now. even now, its not like he's slobbing the guys knob. all he's saying is he'll have an opportunity to showcase his ability. thats not saying much at all.
I more or less agree with this. He's said he's excited to work with the guy and if he reaches his potential he can be a monster, but we all know that. Already he's saying that it's up to Vernon to reach that potential, so it seems like he's already giving himself an out. He's remained positive, but what is he supposed to do? Say that VG sucks and we drafted a bust last year and he's not even worth his time? Obviously he's excited to work with a guy that talented, because if he turns him around it's a great coaching job on his part.

At this point if he pans out Ryan is a hero and if he doesn't then he's just an athlete instead of a football player and we'll point to Tannebaum and Mangini for drafting a bust based on measurables who had a lot of bad tape despite his production. We'll see what happens, but I don't expect much. Would love to see it finally click though, because if he becomes a dominant pass rusher it takes our defense to the next level.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:30 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Clearly he needs motivation, but to say he isn't enthused by him is false. This isn't a Mangini case where the guy's already in his doghouse. Project? Yes. But does he believe in him? I believe so.

But I guess I don't care that much either way since I feel that if Gholston busts, Rex will draft one nasty dude as an edge rusher.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:30 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It didn't matter last year with Gholston, whether he was trying to stop the run, sack the QB, or drop into coverage, he was lazy. He didn't put in maximum effort even when rushing the passer, which he should have been thrilled to do to prove he could at least do that. I don't blame his first season on Mangini, because Gholston didn't give him any other choice....he was terrible. The fact that Mangini was playing for the playoffs and as it turned out, he job, didn't give him any additional motivation to 'develop' Gholston. Mangini can't be given all that much blame here IMO as Gholston showed no passion, fire, or desire to be anything other than a bust.

To think i was excited when we got him.....boy was I wrong. The thought of someone like him, that big and powerful, to be able to send at the QB, i was excited. I didn't care about his coverage, i wanted him to rush the passer. He gave actually nothing, absolutely nothing, to be optimistic about.....and that hurts.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:22 PM    (permalink
Nj.
Rookie

Nj. is a cocksman.Nj. is a cocksman.Nj. is a cocksman.Nj. is a cocksman.Nj. is a cocksman.

I love that we signed Brannan Southerland after the draft, he was the best FB in the draft and went undrafted because well, there wasnt a single FB available

J-E-T-S
Nj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:25 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nj. View Post
I love that we signed Brannan Southerland after the draft, he was the best FB in the draft and went undrafted because well, there wasnt a single FB available
Practice squad guy and eventual replacement for the aging Tony Richardson?
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:31 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
I was in a Brian Leonard Jersey with a group that had a Drob jersey, another old jet i forget, a bill, a pats, a rams brian leonard, and a Courtney Greene guy. We were in the front row of the balcony going nuts the entire time. So much fun stuff happened in the balcony. So many near fights, so much heckling, and the espn crew really is surprisingly down to earth and personable, especially Herm.
Congrats. I saw you on TV like a million times on day 2.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:03 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Practice squad guy and eventual replacement for the aging Tony Richardson?
AKA better fullback version of Jehuu Caulcrick??
Old 04-27-2009, 04:46 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nj. View Post
That's awesome. Personally I liked Quinn Johnson more but I'm sure either could learn from T-Rich well.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:18 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
KANSAS CITY -- I'm going to have 32 opinions on 32 teams here in a few paragraphs, and a few will surprise you. But I've got to start off with a cool story that played a big part in the trade of the weekend -- and, in all likelihood, the trade of the year in the NFL.

If you're a New York Jets fan, and you find yourself standing in line at a Modell's somewhere in the metropolis this week waiting for your SANCHEZ jersey, you really should pause and give thanks to four people:

1. Safety Abram Elam, the most important of three players in the deal between Cleveland and the Jets that netted USC quarterback Mark Sanchez. Most important for several reasons, which I'll get to in a moment.
2. Rex Ryan, the Jets' coach, who finessed a vital part of this trade Friday night.
3. Mike Tannenbaum, the Jets' GM, who wouldn't take no for an answer.
4. Dawn Aponte. Capwoman, Cleveland Browns. Formerly the Jets' cap person, and formerly a VP with the NFL Management Council.

The trade got done when it got done -- and without another team busting in to trump the Jets at the last minute -- because Aponte spied a minute clause, one unknown-to-most, in the collective bargaining agreement (I bet Roger Goodell didn't know it was in there) that would have threatened the trade and quite possibly put it in jeopardy when the Browns were on the clock at 4:33 p.m. Saturday, trying to send the pick to New Jersey.

Here's what happened: When the Jets went to work out Sanchez at Mission Viejo High in California on March 24, he was so impressive and cast such a presence on the practice field that Ryan turned to Tannenbaum and said: "This is our guy. Let's go get him.'' Easier said than done, of course.

By last Friday, the Jets were having mostly fruitless discussions with the Rams, picking second, and Browns, picking fifth. The Rams wanted a ransom to move out of No. 2. At five, the Browns didn't want quite so much, but there was the matter of three players Cleveland liked. And the matter of not doing anything until Cleveland was on the clock, because if Sanchez wasn't there, the Jets weren't interested in moving from their pick at 17 to five. Given that the Jets didn't want to include their 2010 first-round pick in the deal, they had to get creative and throw in the three players coach Mangini wanted: Elam, defensive lineman Kenyon Coleman and backup quarterback Brett Ratliff.

Elam was the apple of Mangini's eye in the deal. In March, the Browns signed Elam, a restricted free-agent, to a one-year, $1.5-million offer sheet. The Jets, loaded with safeties, still matched it. And last Friday, when Tannenbaum and Mangini were talking conditional trade, Elam's name was front and center. He'd have to be in the deal for it to work for the Browns.

Not so fast, Aponte said. She remembered an obscure article in the CBA -- Article XIX of Veteran Free Agency, Section 3 (h). It said: "If a Club exercises its right of first refusal and matches an offer sheet, that club may not trade that player to the Club that submitted the offer sheet for at least one calendar year, unless the player consents to such trade.''

Aponte told Mangini the consent would have to be in writing. One problem: Now it was Friday, and the Jets had to finesse this very carefully. In March, Elam signed the offer sheet with Cleveland; he thought he'd be a Brown. A week later, the Jets matched the offer, and now he thought he was a Jet for good. So now the Jets had to find some face-saving way to ask Elam to sign this formal document approving a trade ... a trade that might not happen.

Late Friday, Ryan got on the phone with Elam and explained the lay of the land. The conversation went something like: We don't know if this is going to happen, but we know you had some interest in going to the Browns in March, and now we've got Jim Leonhard and Kerry Rhodes at safety, and you probably have a better chance to start in Cleveland, and you are Eric's kind of guy, but if the trade doesn't happen you've got to come back to us, and you're going to be a great player for us ...
Elam thought about it, then told Tannenbaum he'd do it. The Jets e-mailed Elam a PDF attachment with the correct language. He signed it and faxed it to the Jets' offices in Florham Park, N.J. The Jets re-faxed it to the league office, knowing that if they made the deal with the Browns on the clock, this was one technicality that, were it not satisfied to the league's approval, the trade could get knocked down.
At the same time, the Jets knew the Washington Redskins would be watching. If the Redskins knew they were doing this deal without a 2010 first-round pick included in the compensation package, Washington could jump in while New York struggled to make the deal, and the 'Skins could get Sanchez. A longshot, but a chance.
On Saturday, the draft got to Cleveland's pick. The Browns were set on moving down, and they pulled the trigger. The deal got approved by the league when it looked over the paperwork and saw Elam's signature on the legal document approving the trade.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?eref=T1

I wish Elam a great career.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:37 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Oh I saw Hodges got waived. I wonder if he's coming back or we really think something of that Idaho guy. Maybe he was asking something ridiculous from Sanchez so they cut him to save him the trouble.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:46 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Thought it was pretty cool what he did, I always liked him.

By the way, if you look at our roster there are a ton of available spots for UDFA's. On a very quick rundown I saw like 40 players give or take that seem to basically be locks for roster spots, could be a couple more or a couple less. Unless we sign a lot more legit free agents to contracts, I wouldn't be shocked if 5+ guys stick. Particularly guys who had a very good chance to get drafted, like Potter, who Scott actually had as a mid-rounder.

Also kind of amusing that we cut Reggie Hodges and Marcus Mason today. Hodges and Mason wore #'s 6 and 23, respectively. In college, Sanchez and Greene wore... Just a funny coincidence of course, but still amused me.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:31 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post

Also kind of amusing that we cut Reggie Hodges and Marcus Mason today. Hodges and Mason wore #'s 6 and 23, respectively. In college, Sanchez and Greene wore... Just a funny coincidence of course, but still amused me.
I read where Sanchez made a deal with Hodges to get the number...guess he is off the hook now.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:49 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmess15 View Post
I read where Sanchez made a deal with Hodges to get the number...guess he is off the hook now.
Yeah Sanchez said during his Initial press conference with the Jets that they "worked something out". Can't wait to get me a #6 jersey!
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:54 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here is an updated list of our UDFA's.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...etball-player/

I love the signings of Emmanuel Cook and Westerman. I viewed Cook as 3rd round prospect a couple months ago.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:28 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bullock is a pretty interesting signing

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote