Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 04-27-2009, 12:40 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With a day removed im actually starting to kinda like this draft. Obviously BB had concerns over Maualuga's ability to play 3 downs which are fair concerns and it's up to Rey to prove people wrong next year. If Brown isn't able to play in space there is no point in drafting him let alone day one-he went to the best fit IMO with his hand in the ground. I was honestly a little diasppointed we didn't take Oher at 23. However looking at our picks, Chung is a nice upgrade over Sanders and will let Merriweather play free safety next year(which he is better suited to), Brace unfortunately probably signals an end to Wilfork's Pats career next year but it's better to have a replacement now rather than next year, if we had selected Butler at 23 not many people would have argued with the pick but at 41 it is great value and he'll challenge for a starting slot in training camp, honestly I knew nothing of Vollmer but he has great size and from a few things I've read recently he has a bit of upside and could start 2010 or 2011, I love the Tate pick for the future. He is not needed to play this year with Moss, Welker, Galloway and Lewis but could turn into a real threat. I had read a while ago that BB liked Tyrone McKenzie and I liked the pick. I probably would've preferred Jason Phillips at that stage but that is just nitpicking. The thing I love with this draft is the two extra 2nds we got. Tennessee and Jacksonville both play in a division with the Colts and the vastly improved Texans so hopefully at least one of them will be a high second and so far it looks like the quality next year will greatly outweigh this year. Obviously its pure speculation at the moment but if the Patriots could get the ammo to go up next year and take someone like Greg Hardy in the first then it will prove to be a very good move

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:17 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just listening to BBs presser from yesterday and he is asked about the OLB position. His response was basically that the available players were short and slow. He mentioned specifically that there were no 6'4 or 6'5 guys and more power guys w/no speed guys. Interesting, especially since he then drafted the 6'0 McKenzie.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:20 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McKenzie's an ILB in New England.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:28 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
McKenzie's an ILB in New England.
Right. Forgot that while I was listening.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I think he's just systematically rebuilding everything. There are a lot of guys coming up for contracts on both sides of the line and he's infused a wealth of depth to both positions. He's building from the bottom up. Both sides of the line each had one "super sub" (Wright/Hochstein) and then a bunch of guys. OK well there was Jarvis Green but he had a specific role, so I digress. Either way, by bringing in all these guys, Ryan O'Callahan getting healthy, the depth at those positions went from a C- to at least a B on paper.

You look at WR and DB and the depth was good enough to let Jabar Gaffney walk to Oakland and then kick Ellis Hobbs to Philly. Yeah, we need at least one more impact LB, but we have quality NFL players across the board at that position and as Belichick stated, he didn't feel "that guy" was there (or attainable, because I am sure he would have taken Curry in a heartbeat).

I thought Rey Rey would be a good pick, but at the same time, he kind of scared me. I trust Belichick pretty much unconditionally. If he was willing and able to pass on him that many times, he wasn't worth it. Everette Brown was rumored to go as high as top 10. He slid to where he did for a reason. We can get by with what we have at the LB position this year, and a one year stop-gap like Jason Taylor would further accentuate that point.

Next year, we have the bullets in the gun to essentially get who we want. Brandon Spikes? Mark Herzlich? Sergio Kindle? Lots of options.

As far as being "back," I think any posting I do will be around these parts. :p

I just figured I'd check in and say yo.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:32 PM    (permalink
cdf_2108
Rookie

cdf_2108 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
Brace unfortunately probably signals an end to Wilfork's Pats career next year but it's better to have a replacement now rather than next year
I liked your post but I really don't think we'll let Wilfork go...I think it's a lot more likely we let Seymour go. We gave Seymour his big contract during his prime and I think we'll do the same for Wilfork.

Ron Brace gives us some much needed depth at the position, Mike Wright isn't a true run stopping NT like Wilfork or Brace and we saw that quite clearly when Wilfork was out.

I think the Patriots will resign him during the season and break the bank for him, there just isn't the cap space to do it now. Besides, the patriots are in the top 5 (maybe top 3?) of richest organizations so if we go to an uncapped year, you can bet that Kraft will not hesitate to reward, arguably, our best defensive player in the prime of his career.
cdf_2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:43 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ya, I don't think Brace means the end of Wilfork. There was an interview with Wilfork where he basically said it was a done deal that he'd be in New England the rest of his career. He's not going to demand an insane contract. He's not interested in being Albert Haynesworth, which is why the Pats drafted him in the first place.

The Pats drafted Brace because they needed true depth at NT, and they think Brace (6'3) can also play DE in their 3-4. I think Brace is more insurance against Seymour than insurance against Wilfork - if anything. He's a cheap, high-end back-up, and he was one of the few truly unique talents in this draft...
Old 04-27-2009, 05:47 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am gonna drink the BB kool-aid on this one. I liked Chung alot, but we may have been able to get him later (all speculation though). Brace is a great rotational guy, Butler could develop into a stud and its no secret that BB loves(d) him. The more I see and read about Vollemer the more I like him, regardless of being a reach or not. The pats always reach for players that they feel fit their system, thats just what they do. Tate could be a very solid performer and could develop into a stud if/when healthy. McKenzie reminds me of Guyton in some respects in that he is smaller but athletic. The remaining picks are depth/developmental OL or DL guys that may or may not make the roster.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:19 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
With a day removed im actually starting to kinda like this draft.
Me too. I'm still upset about not getting an OLB.
I love Chung and Butler. Our 2-ary should be hella better.
Along with the addition of Springs and Bodden.
Brace is nice for depth. I hope he isn't our future replacement though
I love the B. Tate pick. KR and a future star @ WR, IMO
I still don't like the OT pick. I don't mind the player and the position
but I feel that it was too high of a reach.
I'll give credit to BB- last OL he reached on seemed pretty good
but until he's our starting RT- I'll continue to dislike this pick.
I love the McKenzie pick- though I would've liked other prospect over him
I don't agree with drafting a LS. Don't care if it was a late rd pick.
Absolutely love the fact that we received 2 2nd rd picks next year.

Overall, not bad. If Crable steps up and has a nice year for us then I'll like this draft a whole lot more.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:29 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't love the draft but I'm coming around at least a little bit. I think we got three impact players in Tate, Chung and Butler. Vollmer has a chance to be an absolute stud right from the get go as well. It'll take some coaching, but he was extremely underrated. No reason he should have had to wait until the 5th round. There's a lot to like with those guys. It's dissapointing to see the rest basically being for depth picks when we probably could have gotten a few more serious players and loaded up...but I suppose that's the way we operate.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:56 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

There were a 4 depth picks (Bussey & Ohrnberger, Pryor & Richard), and one project pick (Edelman), but the rest are (future) high-end starters with high floors, and high-ceiling potential. I liked the LS pick. It's not uncommon for teams to draft these guys nowadays, and the Pats got one of the best ones to come out of college in a long time. Why rely on UDFA's/FA's to fill a position that will stay filled by the same person for 10+ years?
Old 04-28-2009, 09:07 AM    (permalink
bhyg
Rookie

bhyg is a cocksman.bhyg is a cocksman.bhyg is a cocksman.

I absolutely loved the way the PATS handles the draft. Getting two 2's next year is HUGE.

Anyone who doesn't absolutely love Chung has never seen him. He's a smart hard hitting, athletic safety with a non stop motor. He has a lot of experience and was a team captain and leader. BB loves all those attributes...by the way so do I.

Brace is more than just a career back up. He will play in our short yardage and goal line packages and give Wilfork a rest throughout the game. That keep Wilfork fresher (and Brace as well) while also greatly improving your short yardage packages. I liked Brinkley for the same reasons...short yardage packages. The PATS liked McKenzie better. I also like McKenzie a lot. McKenzie is not 6'0" he's just shy of 6'3" and was super productive even when he was forced to jump from school to school. Let him have some stability in coaching and family issues and he will be worked into the ILB rotation in a year.

Butler is the guy I wanted in round one. I can't remember ever seeing a prospec that had a 43 1/2 verticle jump. He isn't afriad to support the run and has smooth transition. He will be real good. Our DB's got a lot more athletic and physical.

Don't forget about Tank Williams. I think he will add a lot to our sub packages as well. He's a hard hitting 230lb SS who we will use at ILB at times.

Hobbs will only be missed for his KR. hobbs problem was that he came in and did well right away and NEVER improved. Samuel came in and did well right away but improved a great deal. I've been waiting for Hobbs to take the next step and he never did.

I wish the LS was a bit bigger but drafting a LS is SO unusual for anyone. He'll be on the team. There is no way they actually spent a pick on him if they didn't already know.

Edelman is interesting. But I'm not sure the PATS will ever do a wildcat. With Brady and the cast he has around him why would you?

The OL are going to have to prove themselves to Dante. I like O'Callaghan but if he doesn't take the next step now then he will be in the same boat as Kaczur and Hobbs. Good backup material but not a stud. We'll see about them. I have no opinion yet.

Gentlemen, remember the name Jermail Porter. I have a gut feeling he'll be our starting T within two years and be an anchor for more than a decade.

I have thought since the day I heard Jason Taylor was cut that he'd be a PATRIOT. I still think so. In fact I think he has a handshake deal in place already. Our team is deep. Real deep, but if Guyton does't show a big jump this year and Bruschi can't hold up (and Seau surfs) then one ILB position is iffy. Without Taylor, one OLB position is also iffy unless someone takes a huge jump. That is the only question we have going forward...IMHO.

I think that we will put up a LOT of points with Brady back and teams will have to throw the ball to try to stay with us. Our sub packages will be the key. Sorry I've been so long winded.
bhyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:55 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

ILB won't be "iffy". Worst case, Adalius Thomas shifts there if Alexander, Guyton, Bruschi, McKenzie, and Ruud can't get it done. Also the possibility of Crable moving inside in certain situations...
Old 04-28-2009, 10:01 AM    (permalink
hannah73
Rookie

hannah73 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Why do you think Jermail Porter would be so good? Wrestling may be good background for football, but a guy who's never played in his LIFE? Neal played in high school at least and it took him a while to play guard.

If he's to play tackle, that requires a lot of footspeed, quickness and agility which he may just not have. Just saying he seems kind of like a long shot, which is expected of any UDFA, I suppose.

I liked the draft overall...surprised they didn't draft Jarron Gilbert though, he'd be a good replacement for Seymour, maybe they don't think he's big enough.

Kind of a little po'd they took a 4th round guard who was the 20th guard ranked on some boards. Maybe he's special but there must be 10 other guys who are also that good, what is so great about him? He doesn't sound like he has the playing strength to root out huge DL. They have a history of drafting late round linemen who just get cut...Clint Oldenburger or something...name actually sounds alot like this guy.

Would have been happy if they'd have traded Maroney too and used a 5th on Javarris Williams of Tenn. State. There are still some good RBs available, Sheets from Purdue.
hannah73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:03 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Also the possibility of Crable moving inside in certain situations...
I don't think Crable will play inside at all. Doesn't have the instincts for it at all. Not all that great in coverage either. I think the best way we can bring Crable along is to just ask him to rush the passer initially. Giving him ILB responsibilities would be a mistake.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:31 PM    (permalink
bhyg
Rookie

bhyg is a cocksman.bhyg is a cocksman.bhyg is a cocksman.

Quote:
ILB won't be "iffy". Worst case, Adalius Thomas shifts there if Alexander, Guyton, Bruschi, McKenzie, and Ruud can't get it done. Also the possibility of Crable moving inside in certain situations...

Crable won't move inside. I personally think our ILB will be fine, but if Bruschi takes another step back and we don't bring back Seau, then Guyton must bring it to the next level or one of our ILB spots will be sub par. Moving Thomas inside solidifies ILB but then both OLB will be question marks.

All I'm saying is that we have to have some people step it up at LB (1 inside and 1 outside).

Taylor will solve the OLB question because I feel comfortable with our current depth...as depth.

Inside Guyton is the key. If he can take it to the next level then we'll be fine. Bruschi is most likely playing his last year. His contract is up and unless he was playing hurt last year he has lost at least a step if not more. Seau I think can still bring it but he most likely won't be back. McKenzie could be good in a year but to count on a rookie is risky.

Outside is a bigger problem unless they bring in Taylor. That doesn't mean we won't be fine but compared to the rest of our roster one of the OLB spots is (at this time) weaker then our other positions.
bhyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:26 AM    (permalink
TNPatsFan
Veteran

TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TNPatsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I look at it this way regarding the lack of an OLB in the draft. Which of the OLB's would have come in here and really made an impact in terms of improving the pass rush?

I think we all have pretty much overestimated the OLB's in this draft. My guess would be the only one that could come in as a rookie and generate more than say 5 or 6 sacks would be Maybin, and that's about all he would do because he'd be terrible on running plays.. not to mention he was unvailable anyway. I thought maybe Everette Brown could be an impact pass rusher but obviously the Pats (and every other team) didn't feel that way. BB made it clear his size was the issue there.

So while some of these guys could develop into good players, I don't think any of them would have solved the lack of pass rush problem this year. They could develop into good pass rushers, but then so could Crable and/or Redd. I'm sure the Pats will be able to generate at least 5 or 6 sacks with whomever they put in there this year. Crable and Redd can get after the QB, even if that's all they are used for.

If the pass rush is still a problem this year then they can address it again in next year's draft and free agency.

On the other hand, if BB wants to give up 2 first rounders and sign Terrell Suggs who is franchised right now to an offer, I'd be all for that.

1 - Anyone but Shea McClellin, Derek Wolfe, Peter Konz, Kendall Reyes, Harrison Smith, Whitney Mercilus or a RB

2 Anyone but McClellin, Wolfe, Doug Martin or an OT

3 Anyone but Wolfe

TNPatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote