Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2009, 03:44 PM    (permalink
starwitness
Rookie

starwitness hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Unless you consider Abram Elam, Kenyon Coleman, and Brett Ratliff to be worth a second round pick combined, and I'm not sure what realistic individuals draft picks you can allocate to those individual players that can make them worth a second, they got a good deal on the value chart. And trading a second that in all likelihood would not have good value for what was needed was nothing awful either.

I think that late first and 2nd round picks are the most valuable commodities in the league because there are always starting caliber players available at multiple positions, and the picks dont carry the financial risk of a top ten selection. That said, I still dont like trading trading multiple picks and players for one guy, especially an unproven guy.

As for how much the Jets gave up for Sanchez, I think we can use the Jay Cutler trade as a measuring stick. Cutler is a proven pro bowl guy, a franchise player at his position. He's one of the top 3-5 young QB's in the league, and he's playing at a bargain price at 6yrs 47 million. The Bears got him for Orton, two 1s and a 3. The Jets traded a 1, a 2, Coleman, Ratliff, and Elam to get Sanchez, who could get somewhere between 60-70 million should he sign a 6 yr deal (Matt Ryan got 6yrs 72 million last year/Stafford got 6yrs 70 million + 6million in incentives). You could argue either side here, but I'd say the Bears and Jets gave up about the same amount to get thier guys. And I'd also say the Bears got a proven guy, at a much cheaper price, so thier trade for Cutler looks alot better then the deal you guys made for the 50/50 Mark Sanchez.

Yes the move hurt depth, and yes they are talking a chance on an unproven player. You either have to do that or hope to get lucky to land a franchise QB, and the Jets haven't been lucky for the past few years...or decades really. The organization found a QB they universally liked and felt would fit in here and decided to take a shot. We'll see how it plays out, but everybody liked him and felt it was worth it. As Jets fans all we can do is hope it works out, as a Dolphins fan all you can do is hope it doesn't work out, and nothing anybody says now means anything. We'll all have to see what happens. Sanchez has the work ethic and physical tools to make it work in the league, whether or not he manages to have success is, as I said, yet to be determined.

Hard to argue with any of that. All I can say is that I'm not in Dolfan mode here. Im just answering the question asked in the topic title, did the Jets give up too much? As several people have said, if Sanchez pans out, it'lll be seen as a good deal. But you cant argue that its not a major risk. And assuming that Ryan wants to pound the ball and play defense, a franchise QB isnt necessary. You guys need a smart, dependable QB who can move the chains and protect the ball. You dont need a guy to come in and chuck it 40 times a game, or throw for 4000 yards and 30 TDs. So Sanchez is not only a major risk, he's an unecessary risk as well.

The fact of the matter is that you're coming in here and telling us things that we already know. Sanchez was a risk. The move hurt depth. We need a WR more than we need a RB. But at this point all we can do is hope as fans of our team things work out. Clowney, Smith, or Stuckey steps up in a big way this season. Shonn Greene justifies trading 2 picks to move up to get him. Sanchez is a franchise QB. Our offensive line depth is better than we anticipate. The defense comes together. Nobody gets hurt. That's what we'll do, and I understand you'll do the opposite.

I'm coming in here to answer the question that the original poster asked, nothing more. If my opinion ruffles a few feathers, so be it. But this is a football forum, and we're all here to talk football, right?. The hopes you allude to are accurrate imo. But again, your team's place in the AFC East pecking order suffered considerably on draft weekend. Not so much b/c of the deals, but because (on paper) the Bills, Dolphins, and Patriots all improved thier rosters more than the Jets did. I HATE the Pats, and the Bills are sub human, but I give credit where it's due and both of those teams did well this offseason. If Brady is healthy, the Pats are scary good again, and theyve got three 2nd round picks again next year.

Personally, I'm concerned about the lack of depth and I know there's about a 50/50 chance Sanchez will bust. I don't think we're going to make the playoffs this year, and I think starting Sanchez with our WR situation is a mistake. I wanted them to hand the starting job to Clemens, since I don't want Sanchez starting this year and I don't want him losing to Clemens in training camp. I don't like being between building long-term and having a win-now team on defense and the offensive front. We'll see what happens. It's just that nobody likes having a fan from another team come onto your team board and say your team ****** up and they're screwed. It's 50/50 for a lot of these guys, the lack of the depth hurts, we'll see how the defense comes together, and hopefully nobody gets injured. Can't wait till games start and we can see what's what.

There's nothing wrong with a little smack talk. And you should blame the topic starter, not me. Im just answering the question. The Jets made some good moves this offseason. Lito Sheppard was a good player when I last saw him (2007) in a starting role. Bart Scott was a beast last year, and he'll be playing in the same system. I think Jets fans will love Jim Leonhard and Larry Izzo. Like you said, we'll have to see what happens. But with the info thats available today, I'd say the Jets have alot of work to do.
starwitness is offline   Reply With Quote