Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 06-02-2009, 11:59 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We cut Southerland. He must've really not shown a lot, unless we happen to be signing him to the practice squad a lot later which I kind of doubt. Good to see Leon and TJ back in the fold though. Hopefully this a sign of Leon getting his new contract and TJ... accepting his fate.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:02 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im kind of dissapointed that we cut Southerland. I thought for sure that he would be our future at FB.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:30 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
We cut Southerland. He must've really not shown a lot, unless we happen to be signing him to the practice squad a lot later which I kind of doubt. Good to see Leon and TJ back in the fold though. Hopefully this a sign of Leon getting his new contract and TJ... accepting his fate.
That or its a major vote of confidence for Caulcrick. I thought Southerland would get more of a shot though. Definitely agreed on the second part.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:54 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
here’s what the Jets must do to be considered a playoff contender for a preseason poll: Rent a time machine and dial it back to the Bill Parcells era.
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0...-doorstep.html

Bulletin board!
Old 06-09-2009, 11:23 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
''People don't look at us as a contender and don't respect us like they should,'' Crowder said. ''Guys were telling me how weak our schedule was, how we got lucky and won a lot of close games. . . . The Patriots say they're the team to beat, but we're AFC East champions.'' Crowder said the Jets' brashness is ''amazing to me.'' Jets safety Kerry Rhodes said on Twitter that ''we will be the best defense in the league! I feel for the offenses we are gonna face.'' Jets coach Rex Ryan also spoke boldly.

''They're still talking junk, Rex Ryan saying they're the toughest team in the NFL,'' Crowder said. ``They got a quarterback, but I don't know how you add toughness with a quarterback [rookie Mark Sanchez]. If they want to be the OTA champions, they can have it. We whupped them last year.''

Sanchez posed in GQ ''talking on the phone,'' Crowder said. ''That was very soft-ish.'' Crowder said Rhodes ''should worry about his own [off-field] problems'' -- police are investigating a rape of a woman at Rhodes' home, but Rhodes is not a suspect.

In contrast to Sanchez, Crowder said Chad Henne ''is not going to get in GQ and do a spread. Chad Pennington is the same way. I like [Henne's] swag -- Ronnie Brown and I were talking about that. He has that cool, calm that Tom Brady and Peyton Manning have. His arm is ridiculously strong. He'll be a great quarterback.''
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/fo...y/1085290.html

Quote:
Ryan didn't wait to address the remarks. In fact, in his just-concluded presser following a mini-camp practice - and with his father, former Eagles and Cardinals coach Buddy Ryan sitting in on the press conference - Rex Ryan brought the Crowder comments up before anyone asked.

"I don’t know this Channing Crowder," Ryan said. "All I know is that he’s all tatted up. He’s right about one thing. I’m a first-time head coach, but I’ve been around the game all my life. I'm no different than I’ver ever been, just that more people are listening."

Ryan's take on Crowder saying you don't win in June?

"I think he’s wrong," Ryan said. "You do win in June. You win with your preparation. If it was younger, I’d handle him myself. He’s a good player and all that kind of stuff and it is fun to ruffle some feathers. I’ve got no problem doing that. I’m confident in our football team. I'm confident in myself, the players, the coaches and the entire organization. That’s why I say the things I say. I make no apologies for any of those types of things."

More Rex:

"I know one thing. Our football team is going to be prepared and we're’ going to play our tails off and we’re going to give everything we got. If people have trouble with it, live with it, because it's gonna happen."

Asked if Ryan was providing additional motivation for teams with his boastful comments, he said: "If that motivation is going to get them an edge, if they need that, fine. They're going to get 100 percent of what we have. We’ll see if that’s good enough."

On the Belichick comment about not kissing the Patriots coach's three Super Bowl rings: "I'm nog going to concede anything. I’m not inidimidated by him or anyone else in this business, period. Our football lteam certainly won't be intimidated either. If there are issues with that, so be it."
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/fo...down_from.html

I love Rex. And now I hate Crowder.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:39 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rex's response is perfect. I really love the identity he's trying to place on the jets

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:33 AM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man do i love inter-division rivalries. Keep turning up the heat, I want to see some hatred when they play!

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:26 PM    (permalink
msolimani
Rookie

msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.msolimani is a cocksman.

Yeah I can't wait for our games against the Phins, they're going to be intense, hard hitting games to say the least. Crowder acts like they hands down "whupped" us last year. He forgets that we took the opener in their stadium, and Favre threw away the game in the finale. Crowder is a jack ass.
msolimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:43 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't feel like looking for a link, but Sanchez was reportedly signed per ESPN. I think 50mil 28 guaranteed over 5 years.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:59 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets and quarterback Mark Sanchez reached an agreement on a five-year contract Wednesday.

The Jets made the announcement while Sanchez, the fifth overall pick in the NFL draft in April, was still at practice during the afternoon session of minicamp.

"This is just the beginning," Sanchez said after practice. "I'll be working everyday to justify this contract."

The five-year deal is worth $50 million, with $28 million in guarantees, a source told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen. The deal could be worth as much as $60 million.

"This allows for two things," Sanchez said. "First, it's one huge thing behind me, a big weight lifted off all of our shoulders. They know that I'm all about football and that's all that I have to focus on now. Secondly, it allows me to get involved in the community here and back home."

Sanchez led Southern California to a Rose Bowl victory over Penn State with a record-setting performance in his final college game. He's competing with veteran Kellen Clemens for the Jets' starting job, up for grabs after the retirement of Brett Favre.

"The one thing that really comes to my mind is, breath of fresh air and, wow, let's go now," Sanchez said. "Let's really compete for this job and let's get into camp. I'll be in on time and I have nothing to worry about there. It's time to focus on football."

New York's last two top picks, linebacker Vernon Gholston and cornerback Darrelle Revis, reported to training camp late while trying to negotiate deals.

"We had some discussions a few weeks ago," general manager Mike Tannenbaum said of Sanchez's representatives. "I give them a lot of credit. We were trying to create a sense of urgency, even though it's still early. ... We didn't think there was any need to wait if both sides could create that sense of urgency and if both sides could come up with a deal that was good for both sides."

Added Sanchez: "It sends the right message. It's not in my makeup to hold out like that. That would've just been terrible for me."

Sanchez has impressed at times during organized team activities and minicamp practices, showing lots of poise, confidence and good decision-making skills. He and Clemens have been about even in their competition.

"You gain confidence as you go," Sanchez said earlier Wednesday. "Now I am starting to really feel the defense and see what is going on. As difficult as our defense can be I am starting to get an idea."

The Jets made a bold draft-day move to get Sanchez, acquiring the fifth overall pick from Cleveland and former coach Eric Mangini for their first-round pick, their second-rounder (No. 52), and defensive end Kenyon Coleman, safety Abram Elam and quarterback Brett Ratliff.

Sanchez went 14-2 as a starter with the Trojans. His lack of experience -- he had only one full season as a starter -- had some questioning whether he was truly ready for the NFL, but the Jets loved what they saw of him in private workouts and a classroom session in a hotel room at the owners' meetings in California in March.

After drafting Sanchez, coach Rex Ryan said there would be an open competition for the quarterback job.

"We've got two really good quarterbacks, and the competition is going to be fierce," Ryan said on the first day of minicamp Tuesday. "At training camp, it's going to be a great battle."

Sanchez already is becoming a fan favorite, with several fans in the crowd at minicamp wearing his No. 6 jersey. He also has gotten lots of attention, befitting that of a budding star in New York, with a swimsuit spread in GQ magazine, throwing out the first pitch at a Mets game and tabloids wondering about his love life.

But Sanchez says he's concentrating on his game on the field.

"I think that more than anything, the next couple of days are vital," he said. "I have to show that I'm really coming along from rookie camp. Then next week, we have rookie OTAs for first- and second-year guys and rookies. With all of the veterans gone, that is my chance to really take charge and assume command of the offense."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4249402

This is ridiculous. I feel like we got a huge deal here. Not only did he sign early, but he's making less per year than Stafford and Ryan, not to mention this is the lowest amount of guaranteed money for a top 5 QB in the past four or so years. That's amazing. He's getting 14 mil less than Stafford guaranteed. Sanchez is a cool guy.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:48 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- And now it's time for your daily AFC East smack update.

(Brought to you by "Your Mama's So Ugly" dental floss, available at Woolworth's and other fine stores.)

Miami Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder took another verbal run at New York Jets coach Rex Ryan, who on Tuesday called out Crowder for calling him out about calling out New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick.

It all started when Ryan told New York sports-radio station WFAN he didn't take the Jets job to kiss Bill Belichick's rings and wasn't intimidated. Crowder interjected -- if this were hockey he'd get a game misconduct for third man into a fight -- that Ryan should shut up because you don't win anything in June.

Ryan suggested he didn't know who Crowder was, but if Ryan were younger, he would fight Crowder. And that you do win by preparing in the offseason.

"Oh, Lord, have mercy," Crowder told Miami Herald reporter Jeff Darlington. "What's wrong with him? Now he's talking about preparation? We play them twice this year. If he wants to be prepared, shouldn't he know the starting middle linebackers of his division rival?

"He says he'd take care of me if he was younger? I'd have beat the hell out of that big old joker. Or if he really wants to get retro, my daddy or my uncle could have handled him. Don't get big. Win with preparation? Start watching some tape and learn who your rival is. Come on now."

Patriots coach Bill Belichick was asked what he thought of the entertainment Ryan has brought to the AFC East.

"I have a lot of respect for Rex, what he did in Baltimore, the defense his team has played," Belichick said after Wednesday's minicamp session. "We've always had great battles with the Jets. So I'm sure that will continue. It's a good rivalry. They beat us up here last year. They kind of got the last punch in on that one.

"It's a new year. Right now we are more focused on Buffalo than any other team in the division because we open with them [Sept. 14], but we know we are going to have to deal with Miami and the Jets as well, and we have a lot of respect for all those teams."

Not exactly a Joey Porter-style throwdown, but that's how the Patriots roll.
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0...symposium.html

Quote:
New York Jets coach Rex Ryan didn't seem like the retiring type.

In what's turning into a relentless back-and-forth brawl that would make Marvin Hagler and Thomas Hearns grimace, the verbal punches kept coming Wednesday.

I previously wrote about comments Miami Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder's unleashed on Ryan.

Ryan didn't flinch. He fired back again.

"First off, Channing Crowder had a rebuttal," Ryan told reporters Wednesday in Florham Park, N.J. He was unable to keep a straight face. "I love it. The only thing I can say is -- and let's see if he can top this one -- I've walked over tougher guys going to a fight than Channing Crowder."

Ryan then laughed and seemed to brace for another Crowder counterpunch.

"The dude's going to kill me," Ryan said.

Ryan's players seem to be having fun with the biting discourse.

"Whatever coach wants to say, he can say anything and I'm going to ride with him," Jets linebacker Bart Scott said. "That's my man. I don't care what he says and likewise.

"If a player comes in and makes a statement, he's making a statement and expects his teammates to have his back because, realistically, you're a family, right or wrong. ... So it's up to us to make sure we back him up to make it right."

Said quarterback Kellen Clemens: "I like the swagger Coach Ryan has brought to the team and to the organization. They could call us cocky or arrogant or whatever. Who cares? Let's just go out there and win and that speaks the loudest."
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0...h-Crowder.html

It just gets better.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:39 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Props to you guys on signing Sanchez so quick and I have to say that I am so entertained by Rex Ryan; you guys are lucky to have such a fighter for a coach.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:00 PM    (permalink
JETS5128
Pro Bowler

JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JETS5128 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I absolutely love the quotes from our players in response to Ryan's comments. IMO they couldn't be saying anything better

Sig by Me
JETS5128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:04 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pretty entertaining for this time of year. Great to get him in early. Considering the way rookie contracts are, and his position, that isn't a bad contract to have signed him too, and may be a slight deal (although i still feel its way to high, that is the way rookie contracts go). Great to have him signed early, nothing is worse than a holdout. Everything Sanchez has done has been in a positive light for me, and it makes me happy.

Quote:
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:01 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

is tomorrow the last day of OTAs? i think i may go. i didnt realize it was in florham park which is like 20 min from my house.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:15 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

New York Jets' Kris Jenkins tries a new position for a day

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/200...nkins_tri.html

Quote:
The last time Kris Jenkins played defensive end was 12 years ago in preseason camp as a freshman at the University of Maryland.

"And that was like for a day or two," Jenkins said.

But this week at Jets minicamp, head coach Rex Ryan has occasionally moved Jenkins away from his customary nose tackle position to defensive end. All a matter of experimenting, Ryan said.

"We know he can play nose tackle," Ryan said. "I also want to challenge him mentally to where he can learn all of the spots. That way, if we think we have a certain mismatch with our guy, then we'll put him in those spots."

Ryan made a similar move with Haloti Ngata while in Baltimore. But he said he sees Jenkins spending the majority of his time at the familiar tackle spot where has earned four Pro Bowl appearances.
Pretty cool...

Plaxico Burress' gun possession case adjourned until Sept. 23; New York Jets may make a bid for his services

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/200...r_plaxico.html

Quote:
Ex-Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress' felony gun case was formally postponed Monday morning in Manhattan until Sept. 23, and it's not out of the question that he could play an uninterrupted NFL season in 2009.

Burress' lawyer, Benjamin Brafman, told reporters that he doesn't think NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will take any disciplinary action against Burress until the case is resolved. Burress' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, agreed, telling a Miami television station Sunday night that Burress may not go to trial until after the 2009 season.
Quote:
The Jets, Chicago Bears and Tampa Bay Buccaneers have expressed interest in Burress. The commissioner may wait until Burress signs with a team before making a ruling. Thus, that team would be taking a huge gamble as to Burress' availability for the entire season.

The Jets have spoken to Rosenhaus only once -- just prior to the NFL Draft in April -- but they may resume discussions, especially after none of their receivers stood out during their recently concluded minicamp. The speedy David Clowney, whom the organization is high on, was inconsistent and I'm hearing his brilliant preseason performance against Cleveland last summer may have been because the stars were perfectly aligned that day -- perfect pass, perfect route, etc.

The Jets have not yet returned a call seeking comment.

Quarterback-turned-wide receiver Brad Smith and special teams ace Wallace Wright each had better camps than Clowney. Jets wide receiver coach Henry Ellard said the Jets "would love" to have Burress but he feels that they can still win without him.
That's a shame about David Clowney. Anyways I wouldn't be against getting Burress even before Goodell makes his decision. We could use a tall deep threat for whoever is at QB.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:40 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
That's a shame about David Clowney. Anyways I wouldn't be against getting Burress even before Goodell makes his decision. We could use a tall deep threat for whoever is at QB.
It is but, this just makes me more puzzled. WHY DIDN'T THE JETS SIGN A WIDE RECEIVER???? There were plenty that were out there. Most of them still are. Granted they're not what you'd call "good", but they seem to be better than what the Jets have now.

Drew Bennett is still out there.
Marvin Harrison is still out there.
Darrell Jackson is still out there.
Matt Jones is still out there.
Brandon Lloyd is still out there
Jerry Porter is still out there.
Koren Robinson is still out there.
Reggie Williams is still out there.

Why are the Jets not even trying any of these guys out???

Gah! :(
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:10 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
It is but, this just makes me more puzzled. WHY DIDN'T THE JETS SIGN A WIDE RECEIVER???? There were plenty that were out there. Most of them still are. Granted they're not what you'd call "good", but they seem to be better than what the Jets have now.

Drew Bennett is still out there.
Marvin Harrison is still out there.
Darrell Jackson is still out there.
Matt Jones is still out there.
Brandon Lloyd is still out there
Jerry Porter is still out there.
Koren Robinson is still out there.
Reggie Williams is still out there.

Why are the Jets not even trying any of these guys out???

Gah! :(
I can safely say that the latter five wouldn't fit in from a character standpoint. Bennett is overrated, Harrison is dying, and D-Jack can't handle pressure worth a damn. So that doesn't look like that great of a list to me. If we were going to sign someone, we should've signed Holt. But who knows. Maybe Brad Smith will be amazing somehow. If Randle El did it, I don't see why it'd be out of the question for him to be something similar.

And we got Greene signed. Pretty cool all of our draft picks are signed. Less cool that there was only three of them.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:54 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
I can safely say that the latter five wouldn't fit in from a character standpoint. Bennett is overrated, Harrison is dying, and D-Jack can't handle pressure worth a damn. So that doesn't look like that great of a list to me. If we were going to sign someone, we should've signed Holt. But who knows. Maybe Brad Smith will be amazing somehow. If Randle El did it, I don't see why it'd be out of the question for him to be something similar.
I don't think Bennett is overrated considering he's a FA this late into the offseason. And with Mangini gone and the Jets looking to sign Plaxico Burress, I don't think the character concerns of the people listed are that much of a concern.

I'm not saying these are good options by any stretch, but counting on Clowney to be a #3 WR looks worse after reading that. As for Brad Smith, I called Brad Smith "Stone hands #2" (Justin McCareins was stone hands #1) when he played in 2007.

:(
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:38 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
I don't think Bennett is overrated considering he's a FA this late into the offseason. And with Mangini gone and the Jets looking to sign Plaxico Burress, I don't think the character concerns of the people listed are that much of a concern.

I'm not saying these are good options by any stretch, but counting on Clowney to be a #3 WR looks worse after reading that. As for Brad Smith, I called Brad Smith "Stone hands #2" (Justin McCareins was stone hands #1) when he played in 2007.

:(
That's true. I guess we could get Bennett on the cheap. Of course, I would be willing to bet he'd get hurt in our weather, and I don't particularly fancy him a great blocker, which is something else I'd think they'd want. I don't know. It just seems like it'd be a waste to me.

But as for the character concerns, I was thinking of it in a different way. Some of those guys also have off-field issues, but all of them are "me" guys. I really don't think Plax is a "me" guy, and I think the most important thing to Rex is creating a team concept.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:38 AM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

I view Bennett as another J-Mac, which i would like to steer clear of....and i'm sure Clemens would agree....

Quote:
Old 06-19-2009, 08:49 AM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Theres a pretty big article in SI this week about Rex Ryan. It goes into detail about his life and mentions a lot about his dad. For those of you younger guys on the board it may be a good read to give you some perspective on Rex and his upbringing.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.c...6765/index.htm

Last edited by jmess15 : 06-19-2009 at 08:51 AM. Reason: added link
jmess15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:01 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

wow that article is awesome. i now like Rex even more then i did which i thought was impossible.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:15 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Good read. I can't wait to see some smashmouth football. Tough D and strong running game...this is the type of team i've always wanted. Pre-season can't come soon enough. Judging by the amount of activity on the boards (lack there of), neither can anyone else.

Quote:
Old 06-26-2009, 12:24 PM    (permalink
jmess15
Rookie

jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.jmess15 is a cocksman.

Jets claimed Mario Urrutia on waivers. I think its a great low risk high reward move. remember him in the big east and thought he had a chance to be a player on Sundays. If nothing else he has potential and his size is definitely something that we lack!