Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

Old 02-25-2007, 01:12 AM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule
Quote:
I'd love for us to take Michael Allan with one of our 4th round picks. He's really impressing me.
I like Ben Patrick out of Delaware.

And Adalius Thomas is old and would demand too much money. He's versatile, yes, versatile in the 3-4. We would be better off addressing our needs in FA by getting someone like Mitchell or Edwards, then drafting someone.

Olsen would be a good pick in the 1st if Willis, Puz, Revis, Hall, and Ross are gone.
First of all, I don't know of many people who would call a six year vet "old" (Thomas barely even saw the field in his first season). But I really can't believe that you think there is another player on the market who could impact our D in the way Adalius could, and you're flat out crazy in refusing to realize the fact that we're talking about a guy here who has seen time at DE, OLB, MLB, and even a little DB, and he's not versatile enough to play in a 4-3? Gimmie a friggin' break! Thomas would be a HUGE upgrade at any of our linebacker positions. As for Mitchell and Edwards... well, Edwards is OLD (ha!), and Mitchell probably isn't even an upgrade over what we have now. I don't understand how a Saints fan wouldn't want us to sign a player who could have such a significant immediate impact, after all, an impact player on defense along with a few smaller defensive upgrades could put us in immediate championship contention. I guess you're just getting too used to the losing culture.

By the way, Olson would not be a good pick for us in the second round, much less the first. We need defense.
*cough*

Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

Oh, well, allow me to retort...

Now, I know I'm not the only one who thinks that defense is our main need in both free agency and April's draft.

That being said, I don't think that the Saints will have the money nor the inclination to go after any big name free agents like Adalius Thomas. Even though Thomas can be a difference maker (in the right system), we don't have the money to spend on a big name like him. If we did, we wouldn't be able to target multiple players at other positions of need like cornerback and defensive tackle. The money we would spend on Thomas could be better served going after smaller named players but at several positions.

Continuing, I also think that the recent grumblings from both DE Charles Grant and DT Hollis Thomas are going to have a significant impact on both free agency and the Draft. Look to the Saints either dealing away Thomas and getting a defensive tackle in either free agency or the Draft. Also, with Grant getting the franchise tag, I feel like we've got another "Darren Howard situation" and I also wouldn't be surprised if the Saints draft a young defensive end that, not unlike Will Smith a couple of years ago, would be able to step in and start after this season.

And I have to agree, as good as Greg Olsen was at Miami, we don't need to spend a first day pick on a tight end, unless of course, he falls all the way to the third round or something. I doubt seriously that happens. I wouldn't be upset; however, if the Saints do chose a tight end, just a little bit later in the Draft, like Ben Patrick or Scott Chandler.

Lastly, on the remark about the Saints losing tradition, it's not that we're getting used it, we *are* used to it! The fact is, and maybe I'm a bit of a downer, but one Cinderella season and one more playoff victory isn't going to magically make me forget about all the heartache that I've endured as a Saints fan.

But that being said, what doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger. I guess that means I should be nearly invincible now! :D

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!
http://sportsinsomniacs.wordpress.com/

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs
Saints Dome Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:26 AM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints Dome Patrol
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule
Quote:
I'd love for us to take Michael Allan with one of our 4th round picks. He's really impressing me.
I like Ben Patrick out of Delaware.

And Adalius Thomas is old and would demand too much money. He's versatile, yes, versatile in the 3-4. We would be better off addressing our needs in FA by getting someone like Mitchell or Edwards, then drafting someone.

Olsen would be a good pick in the 1st if Willis, Puz, Revis, Hall, and Ross are gone.
First of all, I don't know of many people who would call a six year vet "old" (Thomas barely even saw the field in his first season). But I really can't believe that you think there is another player on the market who could impact our D in the way Adalius could, and you're flat out crazy in refusing to realize the fact that we're talking about a guy here who has seen time at DE, OLB, MLB, and even a little DB, and he's not versatile enough to play in a 4-3? Gimmie a friggin' break! Thomas would be a HUGE upgrade at any of our linebacker positions. As for Mitchell and Edwards... well, Edwards is OLD (ha!), and Mitchell probably isn't even an upgrade over what we have now. I don't understand how a Saints fan wouldn't want us to sign a player who could have such a significant immediate impact, after all, an impact player on defense along with a few smaller defensive upgrades could put us in immediate championship contention. I guess you're just getting too used to the losing culture.

By the way, Olson would not be a good pick for us in the second round, much less the first. We need defense.
*cough*

Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

Oh, well, allow me to retort...

Now, I know I'm not the only one who thinks that defense is our main need in both free agency and April's draft.

That being said, I don't think that the Saints will have the money nor the inclination to go after any big name free agents like Adalius Thomas. Even though Thomas can be a difference maker (in the right system), we don't have the money to spend on a big name like him. If we did, we wouldn't be able to target multiple players at other positions of need like cornerback and defensive tackle. The money we would spend on Thomas could be better served going after smaller named players but at several positions.

Continuing, I also think that the recent grumblings from both DE Charles Grant and DT Hollis Thomas are going to have a significant impact on both free agency and the Draft. Look to the Saints either dealing away Thomas and getting a defensive tackle in either free agency or the Draft. Also, with Grant getting the franchise tag, I feel like we've got another "Darren Howard situation" and I also wouldn't be surprised if the Saints draft a young defensive end that, not unlike Will Smith a couple of years ago, would be able to step in and start after this season.

And I have to agree, as good as Greg Olsen was at Miami, we don't need to spend a first day pick on a tight end, unless of course, he falls all the way to the third round or something. I doubt seriously that happens. I wouldn't be upset; however, if the Saints do chose a tight end, just a little bit later in the Draft, like Ben Patrick or Scott Chandler.

Lastly, on the remark about the Saints losing tradition, it's not that we're getting used it, we *are* used to it! The fact is, and maybe I'm a bit of a downer, but one Cinderella season and one more playoff victory isn't going to magically make me forget about all the heartache that I've endured as a Saints fan.

But that being said, what doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger. I guess that means I should be nearly invincible now! :D
The thing is, I think it could work money wise. Tagging Charles Grant might have ruined the chances, but we had about $22 million in cap room before we gave him the $8.6 million tag (which I'm not sure he deserved, but that's another story). However, cutting a few dead weight players could free back up a lot of that money... for instance, the two most talked about: cutting Joe Horn would free up nearly $4.5 million. Cutting Fred Thomas would free up $2 million. If we could find a way to get our cap room back up around $20 million then I say we could definitely add a big name player like Thomas, as well as improving other positions such as CB and DT through the draft and some modest free agent upgrades.

I don't know, maybe I'm just overly optimistic.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who would find it absurd to go with anything other than defensive help on the first day of the draft.
The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin
TPFKA#1SaintsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:30 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Joe Horn was on WWL, said he expects his agent to come in this week and to work things out with the Saints. Sounded like he's going to restructure his contract, but won't take a pay cut.

things are looking up.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:20 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
Joe Horn was on WWL, said he expects his agent to come in this week and to work things out with the Saints. Sounded like he's going to restructure his contract, but won't take a pay cut.

things are looking up.
I really hope that he restructures but at the same if we could get something out of him by trading him then that would be fine w/ me as well.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:57 AM    (permalink
LSU Man
Rookie

LSU Man hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What did you guys think about the LBs at the Combine? I think that Willis is pretty much out of our reach now :(

Poz looked really good though.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:20 AM    (permalink
BiggerFoot

I think that we might be better off going elsewhere with our first round pick because it looks like the best linebackers will be gone and there won't be much value with New England and Phili picking ahead of us both of whom could pick LB.
On the Tenn. board they are talking about how pacman might be traded, I know that Peyton is in to character guys but we need a corner desperately, how about Horn 4th rounder for Pacman Jones. That would broaden our 1st round pick to WR, TE, LB, or CB. He would give us a great corner and another good return man. Pacman is a PLAYMAKER something the saints do not have on defense.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:40 AM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerFoot View Post
I think that we might be better off going elsewhere with our first round pick because it looks like the best linebackers will be gone and there won't be much value with New England and Phili picking ahead of us both of whom could pick LB.
On the Tenn. board they are talking about how pacman might be traded, I know that Peyton is in to character guys but we need a corner desperately, how about Horn 4th rounder for Pacman Jones. That would broaden our 1st round pick to WR, TE, LB, or CB. He would give us a great corner and another good return man. Pacman is a PLAYMAKER something the saints do not have on defense.
The Titans would be incredibly stupid to trade Pacman for Joe Horn and a 4th round pick.
The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin
TPFKA#1SaintsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:15 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It would never happen anyway. Pac-Man isn't a Payton guy.. hell, that's an understatement, but still.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:31 AM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Payton would never make a trade for Pacman with his off the field problems, I don't think he'd even try to sign him if the Titans cut him.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:46 AM    (permalink
Acreboy
Pro Bowler

Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
The Titans would be incredibly stupid to trade Pacman for Joe Horn and a 4th round pick.
The Saints would be stupid to accept a trade proposal like that.

Jones is a thug.
Acreboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:33 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have heard the rumors too that the Titans are looking to either trade or cut Pac-Man Jones, however, I highly doubt he would find his way into a Saints uniform. His off-field issues and character concerns are too risky to get him involved with an organization that is trying to become stable and maintain a winning record year in and year out.

And about the linebackers -- I think Patrick Willis has separated himself from the rest of the pack and I am fairly sure that he will be gone way before out pick. The same I think can also be said about Paul Posluszny. Even though I would love to have either one of them, I think the chances are slim to none that either will fall to our pick. I would then have CB next on our priority list and one is sure to fall, whether it be Leon Hall, Aaron Ross, Chris Houston, or Darrelle Revis.

I think we could also look at TE too, if Greg Olsen were there then we might consider him especially considering that both LB and CB are fairly deep this year.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 02-27-2007, 11:57 PM    (permalink
BiggerFoot

I would not mind trading down around 10 spots to a team in the mid 30's to take Olsen and pick up maybe a mid round pick. Olsen looks to be the only great Tight End out of this years class.
And for Pacman, I know that he is not a peyton type of player with him having off the field bagagge, but if we are able to get him for dirt cheap our secondary would immediately be upgraded and we would have a playmaker. He is a good punt/kickoff returner and has been solid on defense and can use his speed on offense in some instances. He is a great player and I think if we just took ONE player with baggage it might not be all that bad.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:08 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

The way I see it, Olsen has improved his draft stock tremendously. He was considered a late first-early second before and all the combine did was continue to boost that. We might be able to get him where we're at but our team has more pressing needs than TE. It's not that I don't think we will address TE in the draft, but players like Ben Patrick, Scott Chandler, and Michael Allan could all be drafted in the later rounds and turn out to be very solid guys, esp. Patrick.

As far as Jones, I would have to pass if I was Loomis. While Jones is very productive, his cancerous attitude and behavior would cause a young, up-and-coming team like the Saints to either bend or break and right now we can't risk that. I would rather draft one or two CB's who have something to prove rather than a CB that knows he can do whatever he wants, no matter if he's on a new team or not.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 02-28-2007, 05:18 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Ernie Conwell was just cut per. John Clayton. Even though we already re-signed Billy Miller I think this opens up a need for a starting TE.

Saints | Conwell released
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:00:29 -0800

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports the New Orleans Saints have released TE Ernie Conwell.

I'm going to work on my big board, for possible picks at #27.

Last edited by Auron : 02-28-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Auron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:19 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Forums messed up ..double post

Last edited by Auron : 02-28-2007 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Double Post
Auron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:45 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Forums messed up ..double post
Don't lie... you just want to boost your post count! ;)

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 02-28-2007, 05:47 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints Dome Patrol View Post
Don't lie... you just want to boost your post count! ;)
Lol... Shhh.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Quote:
Lol... Shhh.
Too bad, now with these reputation bars, post counts mean nothing! :(

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 03-01-2007, 11:33 AM    (permalink
reznola
Rookie

reznola hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What about the Saints going after Fred Smoot if he gets released today by the Vikings like so many are speculating?
reznola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:24 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by reznola View Post
What about the Saints going after Fred Smoot if he gets released today by the Vikings like so many are speculating?
Smoot's production has diminished significantly over the past few years and he will command a high salary. I say to signing the 1st mate of the sex boat.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 03-02-2007, 05:44 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ken Hamlin is visiting tomorrow.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Old 03-02-2007, 06:40 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Donnie Edwards is visiting as well.

No links because I'm just insanely lazy. Just trust me. :)

Old 03-02-2007, 07:30 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What's up with Montrae Holland? You guys bringing him back?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:35 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Last I heard was:

Broncos | Team to meet with Holland
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 08:26:39 -0800

Bill Williamson, of the Denver Post, reports the Denver Broncos are expected to bring in free agent OG Montrae Holland (Saints) for a visit.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:38 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Last I heard was:

Broncos | Team to meet with Holland
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 08:26:39 -0800

Bill Williamson, of the Denver Post, reports the Denver Broncos are expected to bring in free agent OG Montrae Holland (Saints) for a visit.
Ah boo. I really think highly of him. While guys are overpaying for the Steinbach's and Deilman's of the world, guys like Holland fly under the radar.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote