Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-25-2009, 05:50 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn98 View Post
So I was at the gym the other day and got approached by a PT. He says he would like to work with me. So I meet with him today to go over goals and the guy's name is Andre Washington.
Sounds like the beginning of a rape story.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:52 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One of the trainers at my gym played at Alabama and was drafted by the Seahawks before he blew out his knee in his second preseason game ever. He went on to become LA SWAT and then a Navy Seal. He's 35 now and training at a local gym.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:52 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
Sounds like the beginning of a rape story.
If the PTs name was Big John and not the poster's it'd almost be a guarantee for a rape story.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:27 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm still hanging out at around 170. I'm eating a lot, too.

For example, yesterday for breakfast I had 2 eggs over easy, 2 pieces of french toast with syrup, 4 pieces of bacon, and a bowl of cottage cheese and melon with 8 ounces of skim milk.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:11 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

7 lbs down for me.

TJ, start doing sprints in place of long distance cardio if thats your current way.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:38 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
7 lbs down for me.

TJ, start doing sprints in place of long distance cardio if thats your current way.
Trying to lose body fat and gain muscle mass. My goal was to be up to 180 by the end of summer so I have 2 months to get up 10 pounds so I figure that the last month, I've been gaining a little muscle mass and losing some body fat so sooner or later with my routine, I'm gonna start adding weight.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:11 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rob I'm going to start the 5x5 soon. I went from 144 to 150, in about 3 weeks. Now I have about 8 weeks left to get to 165 or around there.

So which 5 x5 program do you think is better? The Rip Toe, or this one http://www.eclipsegym.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57.

I can't find a link for Rip Toe want to direct me to it.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:26 PM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Okay guys, I come for advice.

I'm 6', 145 lbs. I'm a distance runner, so it's not that I'm anorexic (even though I do not eat a whole lot, and just drink soda after my runs).

Anyway, I'm in the 3rd week of training regimen for college and I run 6 days a week and incorporate cross training (biking mostly). But at this point, the coach is having us do ab work (basic crunches, bicycles, pikes, obliques), pedestals (variations of planks) and now weightlifting.

The weightlifting program isn't defined. He just said do things that work biceps, triceps, shoulders, upper back, lower back and chest. I only have 2 10 lb. dumbbells as I have never lifted other than a couple times for baseball and that wasn't serious.

BTW, he said low weight/high rep if that helps.

Any ideas?

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece
Philliez01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:30 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliez01 View Post
Okay guys, I come for advice.

I'm 6', 145 lbs. I'm a distance runner, so it's not that I'm anorexic (even though I do not eat a whole lot, and just drink soda after my runs).

Anyway, I'm in the 3rd week of training regimen for college and I run 6 days a week and incorporate cross training (biking mostly). But at this point, the coach is having us do ab work (basic crunches, bicycles, pikes, obliques), pedestals (variations of planks) and now weightlifting.

The weightlifting program isn't defined. He just said do things that work biceps, triceps, shoulders, upper back, lower back and chest. I only have 2 10 lb. dumbbells as I have never lifted other than a couple times for baseball and that wasn't serious.

BTW, he said low weight/high rep if that helps.

Any ideas?

P90X would be perfect for what you have and what your looking for or the guidelines your coach gave you.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:42 PM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
P90X would be perfect for what you have and what your looking for or the guidelines your coach gave you.
I was thinking of that as a couple of guys on my HS team have the p90X thing. Are there any other basic works I can do before I get that? I'd assume curls? I remember one thing we did at a baseball camp called "Yuengling Pours" and it was that you held the dumbbell completely in front of you and slowly twist it so it would be like simulating pouring a drink. I guess that'd work too?

Sorry, I'm a complete newb when it comes to actual lifting. I would assume I'd have to start eating really healthy too, do a complete overhaul.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:48 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
, and just drink soda after my runs).
Why do you drink pop? Especially if you're trying to gain some weight. Eating healthy is just as important for those who are trying to gain weight compared to those trying to lose weight.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:49 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
Why do you drink pop? Especially if you're trying to gain some weight.
He said soda not pop damn it.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:50 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He said soda not pop damn it.
I know. I don't use that other term for it. It annoys the heck out of me.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:53 PM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
Why do you drink pop? Especially if you're trying to gain some weight.
Ugh, it's more of an addiction to it. I have had days where I drop like 5-6 cans of Cherry Coke Zero or Diet Lime Coke (or any other soda for that matter) and this has been going on since like 7th/8th Grade. At track meets, I'll usually buy 2-3 cans of Pepsi (no clue why the hell they offer it) and I usually lose all my hunger from it. I'm trying to curb it but it never works, which is obviously my fault.

Not really trying to put on weight, but I guess I would end up adding a few lbs. in the process.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:13 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Ugh, it's more of an addiction to it. I have had days where I drop like 5-6 cans of Cherry Coke Zero or Diet Lime Coke (or any other soda for that matter) and this has been going on since like 7th/8th Grade. At track meets, I'll usually buy 2-3 cans of Pepsi (no clue why the hell they offer it) and I usually lose all my hunger from it. I'm trying to curb it but it never works, which is obviously my fault.

Not really trying to put on weight, but I guess I would end up adding a few lbs. in the process.
Holy crap that's a lot of pop. That is not good for you. You're going to get osteoporosis or something.

they get smoked.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:48 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Rob I'm going to start the 5x5 soon. I went from 144 to 150, in about 3 weeks. Now I have about 8 weeks left to get to 165 or around there.

So which 5 x5 program do you think is better? The Rip Toe, or this one http://www.eclipsegym.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57.

http://www.vicjg.com/aspx/madcowint.aspx ..........just use this bad boy.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:55 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

btw Phillez, 10 lb dumbells are going to be utterly useless for you. Low weight high rep will be good for endurance but you should still have some weight in your hands........What I would do if I was you is some Max Rep lifts. I actually do a max rep day once a week and what I will do is take a 135 pound barbell for bench and rep it out as many times as I can, then take only one minute rest and max again, and do it 4 times. It kicks your ass. Then I do 4 sets of pull ups and dips, 4 sets of push-ups, and I am spent.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:42 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Whats better Rows or Power Cleans? and Whats Overhead like Military Press, and is that Incline bench?
Old 07-01-2009, 12:45 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Whats better Rows or Power Cleans? and Whats Overhead like Military Press, and is that Incline bench?
Power Cleans are money, man. I used to start my lower-body workout with squats, deadlifts and then power cleans. *Shudders*
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:55 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Power Cleans are money, man. I used to start my lower-body workout with squats, deadlifts and then power cleans. *Shudders*
I always heard its a bad idea to do deadlifts and squats on the same day.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:06 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
I always heard its a bad idea to do deadlifts and squats on the same day.
well you will be on the 5x5 haha. The 1st week will be rough on your legs, you will get used to it tho.

As for your question:

Yeah overhead is military, exactly.

If you are training for athletics of any sort rock the cleans, if not go with rows. No need to kill yourself on cleans if your not playing a sport.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:07 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Quote:
I'm in the same boat as Philliez. No idea what any of this stuff means. I've worked out maybe twice in my lifetime (23 years) and have no clue what a Dynamic Row is.

I've said it before I am like 6'2-6'3ish and currently weigh around 225ish. I can't get into working out it seems without having to read a novel. Should I get some weights?? Sounds like the eclipsegym guy doesn't like machines. Me not knowing anything gets frustrated. I don't know what to do for a workout.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig
terribletowel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:17 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by terribletowel39 View Post
I'm in the same boat as Philliez. No idea what any of this stuff means. I've worked out maybe twice in my lifetime (23 years) and have no clue what a Dynamic Row is.

I've said it before I am like 6'2-6'3ish and currently weigh around 225ish. I can't get into working out it seems without having to read a novel. Should I get some weights?? Sounds like the eclipsegym guy doesn't like machines. Me not knowing anything gets frustrated. I don't know what to do for a workout.
probably the easiest thing for you would be get a gym membership and find one that has personal trainers. Get a few sessions in, and then once you get comfortable start doing your own thing. Also you gotta look things up on the internet. Its like people who want to like football, but have no idea what 3-4 and 4-3 is, and the difference between gaps and stuff. You gotta look it up.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:20 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

Im start this in 2 weeks. It just looks like 12 weeks of the same thing, isn't a good idea. The Starr one, goes to a 3x3 after 6-7 weeks. Well I'll do something different if that happens, along the lines of the 5x5.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:34 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by terribletowel39 View Post

alright, I will write a program out for you.

First off, your results will be crap without a good diet, unless you are only looking to get stronger. In which case, eat KFC.

Now, a lifting routine. I am going to recommend Starting Strength for you. It is by far the best way to develop core strength as a novice.

The first thing you have to do is go to the gym and find out what your 5 rep max is in each of the following lifts: Bench, Squat, Row, Deadlift, Military Press. Do this by gradually increasing weight until you have a fairly stressful time putting the weight up 5 times. These are the weights where you will start your training. Remember, everything has to be full range of motion. Most important is to squat AT LEAST parallel to the floor and ideally below.

Once you know your 5 RM you can start the routine. Just deduct around 5 pounds for the first workout of each of your maxes to protect from failure. It consists of two workouts, A and B. You alternate them so that you lift 3 times per week. So, if you do A first week one on a monday, you do B on Wed., and then A again on Friday. Then next monday do B, A Wed., etc. Critical to this program is that you increase the weight every workout. So if you do A monday, on friday you need to add weight to all the lifts. Same goes with B the second time you do that. Every workout you should 2.5 lb plates (5lb total) to every lift, the exception being deadlifts and squats which you should be able to add on 5's (10 total). You will stall eventually like this and need to slow down, but newb gains will carry you for a while.

WORKOUT A

Bench

Quick warmup with the bar.
Set 1: 5RMx5
Set 2: 5RMx5
Set 3: 5RMx5

Squat

Quick Warmup

Rows

Quick Warmup

WORKOUT B

Military Press

Quick Warmup

Squat

Quick Warmup
Set 1: 10% less than A x5
Set 2: 10% less than A x5
Set 3: 10% less than A x5

Deadlifts

Quick Warmup

Do this routine, eat a lot and you will get strong.

Form is critical btw, so here are some links!:

Deadlift: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BDeadlift.html

Squat: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...s/BBSquat.html

Bench: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...enchPress.html

Military: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...taryPress.html **I will say with these that you CAN NOT use any leg drive at all.

Row: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...ntOverRow.html

Also, check out the Sherdog.com forums' strength and power section and read the FAQ before asking more questions. A ton of answers are there: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/s-...e-read-436935/

This took me a while to do, so you better get in the gym and lift. And dont ***** out on squats, no leg press cant be substituted. :)

Last edited by Rob S : 07-01-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Rob S is offline   Reply With Quote