Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 07-31-2009, 01:49 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
I never understood this. Why wouldn't you put a guy like Stanback or Crayton back there. Someone athletic that could do something if heaven forbid something bad happens. Even Hurd, someone with sure hands...that could find another way to contribute. Never made any sense to me....one of the most racist positions in football. I don't know if i can remember a black holder...maybe Rodney Peete...idk I'd love to see a little change of the position. How awesome would a play be with Beuhler and Stanback taking the snap and running an option to a side this year. Not that it would be aplay every week...just something in to add another element. How about the swinging gate...not that it would work...but it could get a first down...or atleast cause a timeout....it would literally take 2 mins to put into the playbook for one play of the year...and it could get us a cheap call in a situation in the year. I hate the lack of creativity when it comes to special teams.
I agree...you never want to get too cute, not in the NFL atleast. But, having a more athletic player or a QB holding, could open things up for you...or atleast give you a fighting chance on a botched snap/hold. I read somewhere that Hurd and I think they said Crayton did actually spend some time holding but, Mcbriar is expected to be the guy.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:53 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
I agree...you never want to get too cute, not in the NFL atleast. But, having a more athletic player or a QB holding, could open things up for you...or atleast give you a fighting chance on a botched snap/hold. I read somewhere that Hurd and I think they said Crayton did actually spend some time holding but, Mcbriar is expected to be the guy.
As long as they player isn't a liability...it would make sense to have a player like Hurd/Stanback doing it. They need to contribute as much as possible in order for the team to get the most out of them. The only reason i could think that would make sense logically is if the team doesn't wanna worry about getting another holder if one of them were to go down.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:46 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think it's that complicated an issue as to why Punters are usually back there.

First off, they punt about 5 times a game. That's five plays. For a roster spot, and a nice chunk of change (for us common folk), you better find something else to do. Kind of like 5th and 6th WRs playing on coverage teams. Holding for place kicks is just another thing they can do.

Secondly, they're used to taking spiraled snaps. Yeah, WRs are used to catching balls, but you really don't want to put too much on the plate of an inexperienced WR. How many botched snaps a year do you see?

I really don't see a problem with having the punter back there. There aren't many situations where you need a laser rocket arm there anyway.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:50 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

meh...I'd certainly prefer a QB, atleast. Again, just in case. Botched snaps arent a frequent occurence but, they never end well when a punter is your holder and he has to pick that ball up. It also limits what you can do, if you wanted to get a little creative.

On a related note...Buehler and Mcbriar are now taking turns as holders in camp.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-01-2009, 09:55 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
meh...I'd certainly prefer a QB, atleast. Again, just in case. Botched snaps arent a frequent occurence but, they never end well when a punter is your holder and he has to pick that ball up. It also limits what you can do, if you wanted to get a little creative.

On a related note...Buehler and Mcbriar are now taking turns as holders in camp.
I used to love it when Novacek was our holder. You don't see a TE too often back there.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:41 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Buehler was booming kickoffs today and Folk, well wasnt. Today was the first day they kicked off and Buehler was consistently in the end zone w/ his kicks.

Wade Phillips pointed our Roy Williams and Sam Hurd for having great practices yesterday. Roy for his one on one stuff and Hurd for his one on one stuff, where he seems to be beating just about everyone and the carry over performances in the 7 on 7 and 11 on 11's. The Lunch Break guys also said, Hurd is looking even bigger than last year and is noticeably faster/quicker. Good news.

Today, I saw Miles Austin's name a lot today. He was noted as having a good morning practice by the dmn guys, caught a lot of passes in live action. Stanback sat out w/ a sore hamstring...hopefully this isnt the beginning. ugh. Didnt hear a lot about Roy Williams...again.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-01-2009, 12:04 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Buehler was booming kickoffs today and Folk, well wasnt. Today was the first day they kicked off and Buehler was consistently in the end zone w/ his kicks.

Wade Phillips pointed our Roy Williams and Sam Hurd for having great practices yesterday. Roy for his one on one stuff and Hurd for his one on one stuff, where he seems to be beating just about everyone and the carry over performances in the 7 on 7 and 11 on 11's. The Lunch Break guys also said, Hurd is looking even bigger than last year and is noticeably faster/quicker. Good news.

Today, I saw Miles Austin's name a lot today. He was noted as having a good morning practice by the dmn guys, caught a lot of passes in live action. Stanback sat out w/ a sore hamstring...hopefully this isnt the beginning. ugh. Didnt hear a lot about Roy Williams...again.
It is. It always is.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:07 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Yeah probably, this may be Mike Jefferson's year.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-01-2009, 12:19 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
It is. It always is.
Holley is better than Stancrack.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:28 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Holley has zero shot.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-01-2009, 12:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Holley has zero shot.
I like him better than Stanback is all. I'm just really sick of how soft he is. His opportunity should be over. Only reason for keeping him is if we plan on doing wildcat stuff.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:37 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Scandrick seems to always be around the ball in great coverage, looks like he's serious about wanting to start and is just letting his play speak for itself.

Both the rookie OLB have been making some plays which is nice, those are Wade picks and they could fit in nicely rushing the passer...Michael Hamlin has also been around the ball quite a bit, so has Deangelo Smith. While it may be early, I think we have more future starters from this draft then alot of people expect.

Nothing too noteworth as of yet, only a few practices, Stanback getting hurt is 0 surprise though, the guy can never stay healthy and he'll be gone pretty soon anyway which sucks because his athleticism could come in handy with the Razorback.

Upset Hawkins bruised his knee though, I really think he has a good shot at the 53 if he can make it past pre-season healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:11 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Hawkins was making plays but, his chances would still be slim. W/ Ball and Brown looking like near locks.

As for Scandrick, he is doing work right now but so is Jenkins. I'm loving that...the future is very bright at corner. I still think Jenkins has the starting position on lock.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 08-01-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:24 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Jenkins and Scandrick battle is looking like it will be amazing. It's like one of those good problems to have. You've got two starting caliber guys, but only one can start. Whoever loses, the team wins!

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:28 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm hating the Mike Hamlin playing the inside on nickel/dime packages....he is not a man cover guy. arg

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 08-01-2009, 03:41 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Sucks that Felix is having a hard time fielding punts. Whenever he gets a shot in a game, my heart will be pounding.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-01-2009, 03:49 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm hating the Mike Hamlin playing the inside on nickel/dime packages....he is not a man cover guy. arg
Well it's not like he's been doing bad, he's been standing out thus far, can't be that bad of a thing. I don't think it's his natural position anyway, I expect him to learn both safety spots and see where he can find his niche at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:19 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

As some of you know Chris Mortensen has been at our camp yesterday and today. Here's his little tidbits...

Tony Romo is relaxed and sharp. The one thing people have never appreciated about Romo is that he is a gym rat when it comes to football. Even when he headed to those celebrity golf tournaments, he took a bag of footballs with him. Always has for as long as I've known him.

Roy Williams, acquired in October 2008 for first-, third- and sixth-round picks from the Lions, is more comfortable and healthier. He may not be an explosive receiver, but he is a big target with hands. One thing nobody ever grasped last year is that he was fighting through plantar fasciitis, a persistently painful foot injury.

The Cowboys are really excited about using tight ends Jason Witten, a Pro Bowler, and Martellus Bennett, who they believe will give them big plays downfield in his second year. He will create mismatches and open up the running game.

Sam Hurd has surprised early, creating a little more buzz for the No. 2 receiver spot. Patrick Crayton and deep threat Miles Austin are also in the mix.

The Cowboys' most explosive player is running back Felix Jones, who averaged more than 8 yards per touch last year before he was injured in his rookie season. He's now 212 pounds and said he's faster than ever. He looked it. The Cowboys will use Jones, Marion Barber and Tashard Choice out of the backfield.

The offensive line is stout, anchored by center Andre Gurode, but depth is a huge worry, so a two-tight-end set will help.

DeMarcus Ware, who had 20 sacks last season, is ready to establish himself as the game's elite defensive player. The secondary will benefit, but keeping Terence Newman healthy at corner is a must. The Cowboys are pretty excited about ex-Jaguars safety Gerald Sensabaugh, who secondary coach Dave Campo said can cover the slot receiver, if necessary.

Head coach Wade Phillips isn't screaming and yelling, but the Cowboys' tempo in practice is much more intense. One player told me accountability is at an all-time high. And, yes, Phillips, is running the defense.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 08-01-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:39 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
The Jenkins and Scandrick battle is looking like it will be amazing. It's like one of those good problems to have. You've got two starting caliber guys, but only one can start. Whoever loses, the team wins!
And if both look great, you can bet that T-New is on his last contract as a Cowboy.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:48 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Nothing but win in that article from Mort. I love it...I can't wait till the media starts hyping us again after week 3.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 08-01-2009, 10:15 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Lot of testing going on. I like one of the Cincy guys ideally. Mickens or Smith.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:23 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

He's been making plays at the position from what the reports are saying..but both of those have came in zone coverage....unless his role will be different (which i'm sure it will be since Wade plays to players strengths) Henry was asked to play man on the TE. So if this is the way Hamlin is going to see the field this year...I just hope that he isn't put in a bad situation. I have tons of trust in Wade tho...so I'm not worried. Just something to note.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 08-01-2009, 10:25 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
He's been making plays at the position from what the reports are saying..but both of those have came in zone coverage....unless his role will be different (which i'm sure it will be since Wade plays to players strengths) Henry was asked to play man on the TE. So if this is the way Hamlin is going to see the field this year...I just hope that he isn't put in a bad situation. I have tons of trust in Wade tho...so I'm not worried. Just something to note.
I just love our Secondary. Favorite unit on the team by far.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:25 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Anyone else have any cuts in mind that might be surprising?

I think Watkins and Hatcher are gone. Something I wouldn't have thought a month ago.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 08-01-2009, 10:27 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I dont know how much of a competition it really is going to be but, it sure has been fun following Crayton, Austin, and Hurd. Sammy is making the coaches think a little bit. :D It certainly sounds like they've all improved.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS