Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 08-05-2009, 01:48 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
He and Jenkins have been fantastic. That's all you need to know. They're pretty much the talk of camp so far. Wade has nothing but great things to say about both. Scandrick just keeps working to get better and Jenkins has a new swagger about him, like he had in college. He's confident, over confident and he's shutting everyone down. Still think Jenkins holds onto the starting job but, both have been very impressive.
I think the Nickel Back job is just as important as a starting CB. Glad to know we've got some promising corners.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:52 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont know if they have live video...but here is this video about it, they show picture by picture. For some reason Sam Hurd is talking about it most. lol. Sammy is getting so much face time. A great camp and being from San Antonio will do that for you, I guess.

http://www.dallasnews.com/video/dall...ml?nvid=385670

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:32 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I think the Nickel Back job is just as important as a starting CB. Glad to know we've got some promising corners.
The Nickel is essential. And just think too, if Jenkins and Scandrik work out, this could be our two starting cb's for the future. T-New probably has 2-3 years of high level production left. That is if he can stay healthy enough.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:54 AM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Colombo wants to fight everybody. I love him.
Maybe he can save it for an Eagle in December instead.
herniateddisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:56 AM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
.....T-New probably has 2-3 years of high level production left.....
Be happy with one. Bad contract.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:49 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herniateddisc View Post
Be happy with one. Bad contract.
His contract wasn't bad at all. This defense is completely different with him out of the lineup.

In fact, I bet you would've chastized Jerry if he DIDN'T resign Newman. That's the one area you can't knock Jerry on. He KEEPS his good players and let's the replaceable ones go.

How do you feel about Romo's extension now? 6 years, 67.5M.... considering what Eli just got.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:13 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Several scouts have said Stephen Bowen has been our best defensive guy in all of camp. And he did split 1st team reps w/ Olshansky yesterday and today. He moves inside with the 4 man fronts as well. He's looking at a ton of playing time this year. Bowen's one of my guys, I'm real excited to hear that he's been impressive.

And then Hurd has been being called the most impressive offensive guy. ooohhh, I love it. haha. Hopefully it all carries over.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-05-2009, 02:34 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

Quote:
His contract wasn't bad at all. This defense is completely different with him out of the lineup.
Did not say bad player, said bad contract. Too long for a guy who was already near 30 when he got it.

Quote:
In fact, I bet you would've chastized Jerry if he DIDN'T resign Newman. That's the one area you can't knock Jerry on. He KEEPS his good players and let's the replaceable ones go.
He over-pays to keep Vets and he lets young guys go .. who then perform elsewhere.

Jerry can't forecast young players development. He never has been good at it.

He always pays dearly for past performance, not potential future results.

Quote:
How do you feel about Romo's extension now? 6 years, 67.5M.... considering what Eli just got.
Romo was fine. He is younger than, less tread, QB can still payadmirably well into their 30s. CB not so much.... and certainly not CB with a history of muscle related injuries.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:04 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Did not say bad player, said bad contract. Too long for a guy who was already near 30 when he got it.
Oh so you think we could've kept him for less? Please. You said yourself, he's not a bad player. Those don't go for discounted prices in the NFL. Besides, you should know how NFL contracts work by now. If they are old and broken down, they get cut. New contract or not.

He over-pays to keep Vets and he lets young guys go .. who then perform elsewhere.
Let's not generalize everything now. You said Romo's contract was fine. I don't remember the last bad contract. Actually, SS Roy's was bad, but at the time he was still ok. Can't say WR Roy's because he has yet to even have a full season here. That might be bad down the line. Other than that, I don't think you can acuse him of dishing out bad contracts to keep vets.

...and which young guys did he let go that have performed well elsewhere? Jacques Reeves? I don't know one QB, RB, WR, OL, DL, LB, DB who has left and performed well elsewhere. Are you maybe referring to Fasano? We're so much better now without him.

Jerry can't forecast young players development. He never has been good at it.

He's hit and miss like everyone else.

He always pays dearly for past performance, not potential future results.

The results would be worse if he didn't pay.

Romo was fine. He is younger than, less tread, QB can still payadmirably well into their 30s. CB not so much.... and certainly not CB with a history of muscle related injuries.

I can't believe you're knocking the fact that T-New is on the team.
Just when I start to think you might be making sense with some of your posts... you write this... LOL.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:12 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

Quote:
Just when I start to think you might be making sense with some of your posts... you write this... LOL.
Let me ask you a question ..... do you think Albert Haynesworth contract is a good contract? Fat Al can play so .... you comment.

But regarding, TNew, you are reading so much into what I post it is hard to discuss it.

I like TNew but he did not deserve that contract and no other team would have given him the years.

Put it this way, if Jerry goes over 5 years on Ware -- I will likely call that a bad contract too. Ware is 27, has 1 year left on his rookie deal and a 5 year deal puts him at 33 when it is done.

You think a 33 year old LB is worth $15MM per year with maybe a 8 MM cap hit in the last year?

Last edited by herniateddisc : 08-05-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:23 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Meh...33 isnt that old, these days. Especially for an elite level pass rusher. Reggie White had 16 sacks when he was 37 years old. Strahan had a 11 1/2 when he was 34. Ware is an elite player...he's not going to completely deteriorate if he stays healthy in the next 5 years or so. Of course everyone is different but, I wouldnt worry too much about it. He's the type that you pay w/e is necessary to keep him around. A hall of fame level talent.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 08-05-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:27 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Let me ask you a question ..... do you think Albert Haynesworth contract is a good contract? Fat Al can play so .... you comment.

But regarding, TNew, you are reading so much into what I post it is hard to discuss it.

I like TNew but he did not deserve that contract and no other team would have given him the years.

Put it this way, if Jerry goes over 5 years on Ware -- I will likely call that a bad contract too. Ware is 27, has 1 year left on his rookie deal and a 5 year deal puts him at 33 when it is done.

You think a 33 year old LB is worth $15MM per year with maybe a 8 MM cap hit in the last year?
Do you think old players that are bad live out their contracts?

We just saved $4M off our cap by cutting Greg Ellis. C'mon now. Jerry has shown more than you give him credit for. Face the facts.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:28 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Meh...33 isnt that old, these days. Especially for an elite level pass rusher. Reggie White had 16 sacks when he was 37 years old. Strahan had a 11 1/2 when he was 34. Ware is an elite player...he's not going to completely deteriorate if he stays healthy in the next 5 years or so. Of course everyone is different but, I wouldnt worry too much about it. He's the type that you pay w/e is necessary to keep him around. A hall of fame level talent.
CBs have also shown to have long lifespans in the NFL. Bob is just hatin'.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:29 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

Quote:
I hope you are right b/c if my intuition is right -- Jones is going to give Ware the largest contract in Pro Football History barring injury.

Ware gets 10 sacks by week 8 and he will get 8 years and like $130MM.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:30 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

Quote:
Do you think old players that are bad live out their contracts?

We just saved $4M off our cap by cutting Greg Ellis. C'mon now. Jerry has shown more than you give him credit for. Face the facts.
You mean like eating Roy Williams and TO's contracts?

Talk about facts.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:30 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

It's not just you, everyone knows Ware will soon be the highest paid player in the league. Looking at over $40 million in guaranteed money.

I'm just surprised that we didnt get it done prior to camp. Looks like there is no hurry either but, it's 100% getting done in time.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-05-2009, 03:31 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

Quote:
CBs have also shown to have long lifespans in the NFL. Bob is just hatin'.
Long life span at CB? How you figure that?

One thing is playing and another thing is playing at a Pro-Bowl level.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:33 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

Quote:
It's not just you, everyone knows Ware will soon be the highest paid player in the league. Looking at over $40 million in guaranteed money.

I'm just surprised that we didnt get it done prior to camp. Looks like there is no hurry either but, it's 100% getting done in time.
Please be accurate b/c it does make a difference, I did not say highest paid per year -- I said LARGEST CONTRACT ever.

McNabb (correction Vick $130MM) has the largest ever I think .... Ware will exceed that IMHO and most folks don't expect that. They are expecting Haynesworth numbers.

Last edited by herniateddisc : 08-05-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:37 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Well Haynesworth's is technically the highest ever. The guaranteed money is what most look at. Haynesworth got $41 million guaranteed, the highest ever. Ware will top that.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-05-2009, 03:45 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Scandrick and Jenkins have me really excited, almost more then anyone, the competition is bringing the best out of both of them, Scandrick always plays with a chip on his shoulder, and loves contact(can we get an amen that the talk of him moving to safety is done lol).

Also for what it's worth Newman has looked 100% healthy and awesome, I hope we scale back his minutes during pre-season quite a bit, but I'd take our 3 corners over any WR core in the division this year.

Is there any set of WR's from within the division that makes anyone worried with our top 3 DB's? Not me. NYG has a group of solid guys but no game breakers, Wash still just has Moss and Newman can handle him very well, Phi has the best group but with Newman on Desean I think Curtis and Maclin will be held in check by Scandrick and Jenkins.

Throw in the great play of Sensabaugh, who they said was covering the slot WR all last year for JAX and it makes for a good mix. We are much faster back there, will do alot more man coverage, and I don't see any Reeves or RW's the offense can pin point and pick on, health permitting.

We just have to cut down turnovers, I think that's key this season, play field position, we have McBriar back booming, Buehler booming kicks, we can still be a big play quick strike offense but if we cut down on turnovers we should be in every game this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:50 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

ummm...I dont know what to think w/ the Eagles receiving core yet. They have some ridiculous speed. I dont know exactly how that will shape up yet but, that can be a very dangerous group. Jackson/Maclin even have the potential to, I guess change the game even more. The speedier receivers have really become a major threat again and the Eagles are coming w/ two of them. They scare me more than the others. Giants have no one at this point that strikes fear into our defense. Skins have Moss who is hit or miss and the ever dangerous Cooley.

I love what we're working w/ though. The Eagles matchup is the most intriguing.

Hopefully, we're looking at more takeaways this year. INTs have been rather rare for us.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 08-05-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:54 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
You mean like eating Roy Williams and TO's contracts?

Talk about facts.
Yeah, let's talk about facts. Not one sided beliefs and tunnel vision. I openly admitted Roy's contract was bad just a few posts ago. Jerry made a mistake there because he failed to foresee Roy turning into a dud. Eating TO's contract this year also tastes bad. But are you telling me that your take is that based off those 2 contracts, that that's all Jerry does is sign bad contracts and eat every single one? Face the facts.

Bashing is fine. I bash Jerry all the time. But until you start to realize that you need to give credit where credit is due, you'll never be a rational poster. The guy doesn't only do bad.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:06 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
ummm...I dont know what to think w/ the Eagles receiving core yet. They have some ridiculous speed. I dont know exactly how that will shape up yet but, that can be a very dangerous group. Jackson/Maclin even have the potential to, I guess change the game even more. The speedier receivers have really become a major threat again and the Eagles are coming w/ two of them. They scare me more than the others. Giants have no one at this point that strikes fear into our defense. Skins have Moss who is hit or miss and the ever dangerous Cooley.

I love what we're working w/ though. The Eagles matchup is the most intriguing.

Hopefully, we're looking at more takeaways this year. INTs have been rather rare for us.
The Eagles WR duo will be effective if they can be speedy AND physical. If they get jammed at the line, bumped off routes, then they won't be that scary. Maclin has that potential more than Jackson.

Lately the trend in the NFL has been trying to find big WRs who can outmuscle, outjump the smaller speedier CBs. So to combat that, the NFL has seen more bigger muscular DBs who can match that physicality. The Eagles are one of those teams that will now try to use speed as a mismatch against the bigger DBs in the league. The NFL rules are making it easier for them to be successful. So I think they will be a great tandem. The result is the NFL will go back to looking for smaller faster CBs and the cycle will repeat over and over as teams constantly try to gain mismatch advantages. This is all cyclical. Best thing to have is a combination imo. Or find freaks of nature that are big, strong and just as fast and shifty as the little guys.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:10 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, let's talk about facts. Not one sided beliefs and tunnel vision. I openly admitted Roy's contract was bad just a few posts ago. Jerry made a mistake there because he failed to foresee Roy turning into a dud. Eating TO's contract this year also tastes bad. But are you telling me that your take is that based off those 2 contracts, that that's all Jerry does is sign bad contracts and eat every single one? Face the facts.

Bashing is fine. I bash Jerry all the time. But until you start to realize that you need to give credit where credit is due, you'll never be a rational poster. The guy doesn't only do bad.
He doesn't do just bad but neither does Al Davis.

But he is the second worst GM in Pro Football with a job.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:11 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

Quote:
Well Haynesworth's is technically the highest ever. The guaranteed money is what most look at. Haynesworth got $41 million guaranteed, the highest ever. Ware will top that.
That was 7/100/41

I expect Jerry go nuts on DeMarcus because that is how Jerry rolls ....

8/130/50