Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 08-06-2009, 06:19 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Albert Breer posted his thoughts on TC and said good things about RW. I highly respect Breer's opinion....and truly miss his contributions to the DMN Blog

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:11 AM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Albert Breer posted his thoughts on TC and said good things about RW. I highly respect Breer's opinion....and truly miss his contributions to the DMN Blog
Do you have a link for that?
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:41 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Hey guys, im new here.

There is one point that i found interesting that i was talking to my friends about the other day. This has to do with our games vs. the giants...

How many times did we have the giants on the ropes in a big third down situation, and then Amani Toomer would catch an out or a hitch or whatever right past the sticks in front of anthony henry, roy williams, or jacquee reeves. more times than i can remember. and this would demoralize our defense. i think the loss off him really sets the giants back and people are over looking it. with our much improved secondary and the loss of plax and toomer, i think we can dominate the giants to be honest.

just an opinion and i haven't seen a discussion about it so i'd like to see some opinions/views.

thanks.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:11 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Hey guys, im new here.

There is one point that i found interesting that i was talking to my friends about the other day. This has to do with our games vs. the giants...

How many times did we have the giants on the ropes in a big third down situation, and then Amani Toomer would catch an out or a hitch or whatever right past the sticks in front of anthony henry, roy williams, or jacquee reeves. more times than i can remember. and this would demoralize our defense. i think the loss off him really sets the giants back and people are over looking it. with our much improved secondary and the loss of plax and toomer, i think we can dominate the giants to be honest.

just an opinion and i haven't seen a discussion about it so i'd like to see some opinions/views.

thanks.
Hey welcome! Tell us about yourself.

I know exactly what you're talking about with Toomer. Those catches demoralized me as a fan more times than I care to recall. Wasn't it just sickening? I'd yell like... "How the hell is he so wide open???!!!" at the TV!!!

Toomer just signed on with the Chiefs, so I'm happy for him, but more happy that he's not with the Giants.

The thing is though. I'm not going to invest much in the thought that his loss will set them back. Someone will step up. Just like when Tiki Barber left. I was so happy to see him retire, but the Giant's run game never took a hit with Jacobs, Bradshaw and Ward stepping up.

I think they got enough talent at WR that just in a matter of time, things will click for them. What scares me is that they are actually quite loaded with bodies. Who emerges is the question. They have Hixon, Smith, Moss, Manningham... they drafted Nicks in Rnd 1 (who I thought was the most NFL ready WR in the draft), Barden who could provide excellent size mismatches to our defense and they have even talked about making Travis Beckum a WR.

So that combined with Toomer's age and slowing down... I don't think we can expect to beat them up easily just because he's gone.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:50 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Im afraid the Giants already found their new Amani Toomer in Steve Smith.

He's that same type of silent assassin.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:22 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I remember talking about needing a QB who could push Romo... and how that thought was difficult to understand for some.

But today I was reading BTB and this popped up. This is exactly what I meant.

-------------------------------------
Backup quarterback Jon Kitna has found a brotherly bond with Tony Romo. Coach Phillips says that their competitiveness has fed off of each other.

Cowboys coach Wade Phillips says competition is developing between the two, but it's friendly. He called Kitna "a live wire" who's always stirring the pot.

"He'll challenge Tony like, I'm going to complete more passes than you today,' or I'm going to throw it to this spot better than you,'" Phillips said. "(Kitna) is that kind of guy. He's always got something going like that, and I think it helps Tony."
-------------------------------------

Tony was just too comfortable in his position last year. Nobody really pushed him to be better. I know part of the blame falls on the coaches and his own will and effort. But this is exactly what I meant. I think Tony is due for a huge breakout statistical season this year. Just watch. He might rival Brees for most passing yards.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:42 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
Im afraid the Giants already found their new Amani Toomer in Steve Smith.

He's that same type of silent assassin.
To be honest I was thinking that exactly. Smith had some clutch third down catches on us the past 2 years.

But Toomer's veteran craftiness and savy will be missed in my opinion.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:48 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Hey welcome! Tell us about yourself.

I know exactly what you're talking about with Toomer. Those catches demoralized me as a fan more times than I care to recall. Wasn't it just sickening? I'd yell like... "How the hell is he so wide open???!!!" at the TV!!!

Toomer just signed on with the Chiefs, so I'm happy for him, but more happy that he's not with the Giants.

The thing is though. I'm not going to invest much in the thought that his loss will set them back. Someone will step up. Just like when Tiki Barber left. I was so happy to see him retire, but the Giant's run game never took a hit with Jacobs, Bradshaw and Ward stepping up.

I think they got enough talent at WR that just in a matter of time, things will click for them. What scares me is that they are actually quite loaded with bodies. Who emerges is the question. They have Hixon, Smith, Moss, Manningham... they drafted Nicks in Rnd 1 (who I thought was the most NFL ready WR in the draft), Barden who could provide excellent size mismatches to our defense and they have even talked about making Travis Beckum a WR.

So that combined with Toomer's age and slowing down... I don't think we can expect to beat them up easily just because he's gone.
You do make some valid points here, but i would liek to counter.

I don't mean to sound like a Dallas homer at all, just my honest opinion. Anyway, when tiki left, brandon jacobs had some experience, and runningback is probably the easiest position for success among rookies/first year starters. Look at what felix did, what julius did the second half of that season, what adrian peterson is doing, etc.

While they do have talent, WR is the HARDEST position to latch on to and be successful as a rookie. While toomer was slowing down, he was always a possession WR. No one on their roster will replace his savy and finding holes in zones and being eli's safety valve for atleast 3+ years in this league.

as long as this defense holds up against the run, (and with igor, spencer, and brooking as run upgrades, as well as ratliff making it his main focus) with this improved secondary and added pass rushers our defense should wreak havoc.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:57 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
You do make some valid points here, but i would liek to counter.

I don't mean to sound like a Dallas homer at all, just my honest opinion. Anyway, when tiki left, brandon jacobs had some experience, and runningback is probably the easiest position for success among rookies/first year starters. Look at what felix did, what julius did the second half of that season, what adrian peterson is doing, etc.

While they do have talent, WR is the HARDEST position to latch on to and be successful as a rookie. While toomer was slowing down, he was always a possession WR. No one on their roster will replace his savy and finding holes in zones and being eli's safety valve for atleast 3+ years in this league.

as long as this defense holds up against the run, (and with igor, spencer, and brooking as run upgrades, as well as ratliff making it his main focus) with this improved secondary and added pass rushers our defense should wreak havoc.
That's true. Wr is much harder to fill. It's the biggest question mark for the Giants. I went to their forum to ask them how things were going and they seem really positive about it all... but it's hard to know still.

Our run D scares me to hell. Seriously, even our starters worry me on the DL. Forget the depth. I think they are now the weakest unit on the team. Hopefully the LBs can help stuff the **** out of our opponents, but I think it will take a full team effort from the D including our secondary.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:05 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Dude, even the lions are positive in training camp. All there saying is stafford is the next brady and delmas is the next ed reed. (i just made that up but you catch my drift)

I understand that our schedule and the division is brutal, but this team is better overall with Martellus being a beast, felix returning, and the secondary probly being the fastest in the league. Our top 3 corners all run under 4.4, and they PLAY LIKE IT. and sensabaugh ran a 4.44. that's rediculous for a safety. and all of the destractions are gone. every media question is about football now. its legit for once.

and another note, i know we won all the SB's and games in the 90's, but i always had a thought that texas stadium was cursed. Now that puppy is history. thank god.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:15 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Dude, even the lions are positive in training camp. All there saying is stafford is the next brady and delmas is the next ed reed. (i just made that up but you catch my drift)

I understand that our schedule and the division is brutal, but this team is better overall with Martellus being a beast, felix returning, and the secondary probly being the fastest in the league. Our top 3 corners all run under 4.4, and they PLAY LIKE IT. and sensabaugh ran a 4.44. that's rediculous for a safety. and all of the destractions are gone. every media question is about football now. its legit for once.

and another note, i know we won all the SB's and games in the 90's, but i always had a thought that texas stadium was cursed. Now that puppy is history. thank god.
Hooray for the stadium making us better remark!!! It's funny, but I buy it! HA.

As for the way the CBs and Ss are working this year, do you guys like that they are all doing CB drills or did you like it the way we did in years previous with the 2 groups splitting up and doing their own drills?

From BTB
-----------------------------------
I've noticed one important change in the secondary drills from last year. In Oxnard, the corners and safeties did a lot of sub-group work; the corners would work on backpedaling, cutting and reacting with Dave Campo. The safeties worked on positioning relative to the line of scrimmage, getting proper depth in zone coverage, reading run versus pass.

Not so this year. The secondary drills all integrate both corners and safeties and they work extensively, all of them, on reacting, cutting and meeting the ball at the receiver. It's also clear from the drills that the newbies at safety -- Sensabaugh, Ball and to a lesser extent, Brown -- can all run with their corner cousins. You don't see a dropoff in backpedal agility, cutting or acceleration from the safeties compared to the corners. I would say that Sensabaugh is one of the fastest DBs at accelerating forward out of a cut.

The safeties also have to take their turns in the one-on-one coverage drills against the top receivers. They're all d-backs now. The safeties don't get the luxury of squaring off against tight ends. Today, I saw Sensabaugh take several reps against Williams. Roy beat him (he beat everybody today) but Sensabaught wasn't a pushover. He was always within arms reach of the ball. Dallas would not have tried this were Roy L. Williams still the starter.

The benefits of throwing all the d-backs into the coverage deep end could be seen in the final drill of the day, where the offense started at its own 30 and ran a two minute, no huddle drill (picking up work on the packages that were installed this morning).

Romo had two drives, Kitna had two drives and Stephen McGee had one. All moved from the offenses end to about the defense's 20 or 25 every time. Here, defending a short field, the defense stopped the offense -- every single time. The passing windows shrank. The recovery speed was evident. Looking for a big potential positive for the '09 defense, here it is. All of them, the corners and the safeties, can cover.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:16 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

All these 40 times.... is that you achilles? haha Kidding...
Old 08-06-2009, 09:22 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Quote:
All these 40 times.... is that you achilles? haha Kidding...
I just found it as an interesting point because timmy brought it up today is his practice blog coverage:

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/ar...ome-xiv-1.html

The thing is tho, they play like it. They're not garbage with speed like DeAngelo Hall, etc.

That point about Sensabaugh is great. I wonder how he got such garbage money and a 1 year deal if he is that good. But it said multiple arrests had something to do with it...

Man a safety that can cover around here.... that's as refreshing as taking a piss with a full bladder. haha
Old 08-06-2009, 09:25 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eww...Dont call him Timmy. Macmahon is so annoying. haha. The guy has no credibility and tries to manipulate others or be a trendsetter with his crap nicknames.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:27 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Eww...Dont call him Timmy. Macmahon is so annoying. haha. The guy has no credibility and tries to manipulate others or be a trendsetter with his crap nicknames.
It was a joke... I'm not to fond of him and his double chin either. lol

But the key im trying to make is that our corners play fast too.

While jerry should be ripped apart for the O-Line situation, I think he makes up for it with the cornerbacks. I'll admit, i was fustrated when we picked scandrick. I was wrong.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:30 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No biggy. lol. I'm not to big on those guys over there. I certainly appreciate his live updates, though. The fans that post at the dmn blog are worse than the bloggers, though. This is the only time of year, that I like to check it out on a daily basis...because, of all these TC updates.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-06-2009, 09:31 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

What is your opinion and prediction for our team this season?
Old 08-06-2009, 09:36 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I just found it as an interesting point because timmy brought it up today is his practice blog coverage:

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/ar...ome-xiv-1.html

The thing is tho, they play like it. They're not garbage with speed like DeAngelo Hall, etc.

That point about Sensabaugh is great. I wonder how he got such garbage money and a 1 year deal if he is that good. But it said multiple arrests had something to do with it...

Man a safety that can cover around here.... that's as refreshing as taking a piss with a full bladder. haha
we had a kid on here who used to change his name all the time and come in and the only thing he would look at to determine a players worth was his 40 time -- just so you get the joke.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:38 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Quote:
we had a kid on here who used to change his name all the time and come in and the only thing he would look at to determine a players worth was his 40 time -- just so you get the joke.
Oh, gotcha. I actually look at a players 10 and 20 yard times, that shows burst.

Anyway, what is your opinion of the season? I'd like to get a feel for everyone's views. I read some post and i already know D-Unit thinks were 9-7 or so..
Old 08-06-2009, 09:38 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I'm not in the prediction business this year. :) I'm trying to go into the season w/ lower expectations but, I am really starting to feel good about our team. If things fall the right way, we can be really good, I do believe that. Romo is focused and sharp, the backs are healthy, the receivers have all gone above and beyond this off-season to improve, Martellus has been unstoppable out there. If Garrett doesnt revert back to his previous ways and sticks to a shorter passer game in part and pound the rock a little more...we should be fine on offense. On defense, I feel we've upgraded at just about every position where we added, save DE. We've added great speed at all those positions as well. This was a solid unit a year ago and they look poised to be better than last year's group. Again, not making any predictions but, I really like what we have. Seems like we're under dogs once again but, this team can certainly surprise.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 08-06-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:39 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
No biggy. lol. I'm not to big on those guys over there. I certainly appreciate his live updates, though. The fans that post at the dmn blog are worse than the bloggers, though. This is the only time of year, that I like to check it out on a daily basis...because, of all these TC updates.
I like the DMN blog because you always get quotes directly from the players.

BTB and any other fan site (outside of DC.com) is just a bunch of fluff pieces and ******** analysis

Rafael Vela is the worst. Dude thinks he knows all the formations and all the insight. I've watched games and read his analysis after and it's been completely awful. He knows nothing more than anyone that participates on this board, yet he acts like he's god.

Prediction: 8-8, hoping: 11-5
Old 08-06-2009, 09:41 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Those same quotes can almost always be viewed on dc.com's multimedia page. Dmn blog is good once in a while but, a lot of it is just junk or re-hashed stuff.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-06-2009, 09:46 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

I do think the underdog role can help this team.

Oh and did anyone see the article on newman's torn MCL in his sophmore seasona and he thinks now that its fixed he'll be better than ever? Im betting a boner for our secondary. Jenkins is my favorite i love the guy. Scandrick is fiesty as hell tho. Should be fun to watch them fly around. I remember Jenkins last second bat-down on jackson's deep ball vs. the eagles week 2 and just know he's legit.

Here it is:

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The...ings_are_ahead

That's interesting. I know he isn't the one to make excuses, but that kind of gives hima pass for his sophomore slump...
Old 08-06-2009, 10:01 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I'm not in the prediction business this year. :) I'm trying to go into the season w/ lower expectations but, I am really starting to feel good about our team. If things fall the right way, we can be really good, I do believe that. Romo is focused and sharp, the backs are healthy, the receivers have all gone above and beyond this off-season to improve, Martellus has been unstoppable out there. If Garrett doesnt revert back to his previous ways and sticks to a shorter passer game in part and pound the rock a little more...we should be fine on offense. On defense, I feel we've upgraded at just about every position where we added, save DE. We've added great speed at all those positions as well. This was a solid unit a year ago and they look poised to be better than last year's group. Again, not making any predictions but, I really like what we have. Seems like we're under dogs once again but, this team can certainly surprise.
I should follow your lead. I know I said 7-9 wins but I don't want to be down on the Boys. I can't help but get excited for the start of a new season where anything can happen.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:31 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Somebody comment. I don't care if you agree or disagree.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...31#post1748231