Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 08-07-2009, 10:14 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapo123 View Post
stupid of me? wow ok

marvel smith? same guy w/ no back injurys right....
Yeah stupid of you..

The fact of the matter is, at that point in time the best value at RT for us was.. TA DA! Marvel Smith. He has injuries, who doesn't? He's been looking excellent in camp thus far.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:52 AM    (permalink
chapo123
Veteran

chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.chapo123 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
Yeah stupid of you..

The fact of the matter is, at that point in time the best value at RT for us was.. TA DA! Marvel Smith. He has injuries, who doesn't? He's been looking excellent in camp thus far.
i won't argue that w/you but from my point i was disappointed we don't add someone of depth or go a somewhat younger route to secure depth on the line.
chapo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:24 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i won't argue that w/you but from my point i was disappointed we don't add someone of depth or go a somewhat younger route to secure depth on the line.
I'm sure it will be an issue this upcoming off-season but at that point in time, Smith was by far the best value at RT, as bad as that sounds. I believe, he's a stop gap solution. There's a wide variety of quality tackles in this upcoming draft so I guess we're sitting real pretty with the additional first round pick Scotty Mac pulled in.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:22 PM    (permalink
Rabscuttle
Veteran

Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Marvel Smith to start and Alex Boone to bring in a year or two from now seems like a pretty good way of addressing that position. (Boone just needs to keep his drinking in check for this to work out perfectly) Reaching in the draft to fill holes just gets teams in trouble. Stick with BPA there and fill holes in FA. I can see how you would evaluate BPA differently than MacGloughan but, the philsosophy is sound imo.

The mistake that may have been made is on Crabtree's priorities and the effect of his posse and that's where Jenkins may have been a better pick. We won't know that for awhile yet.
Rabscuttle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:53 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabscuttle View Post
Marvel Smith to start and Alex Boone to bring in a year or two from now seems like a pretty good way of addressing that position. (Boone just needs to keep his drinking in check for this to work out perfectly) Reaching in the draft to fill holes just gets teams in trouble. Stick with BPA there and fill holes in FA. I can see how you would evaluate BPA differently than MacGloughan but, the philsosophy is sound imo.

The mistake that may have been made is on Crabtree's priorities and the effect of his posse and that's where Jenkins may have been a better pick. We won't know that for awhile yet.
Alex Boone? Malcolm Jenkins? You wouldn't happen to be a Buckeye fan would you? lol

Alex Boone isn't that good when he's sober, I'd much rather have him messing up while he's drunk. Malcolm Jenkins was nowhere on our radar for the 10 spot. Besides, he hasn't signed or showed up to camp at all.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:07 PM    (permalink
Rabscuttle
Veteran

Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Alex Boone? Malcolm Jenkins? You wouldn't happen to be a Buckeye fan would you? lol

Alex Boone isn't that good when he's sober, I'd much rather have him messing up while he's drunk. Malcolm Jenkins was nowhere on our radar for the 10 spot. Besides, he hasn't signed or showed up to camp at all.
Not a Buckeyes fan at all. I think Boone can become a solid RT and bring some nastiness to the table. I don't see him ever moving over to LT but his limitations are minimized on the right.

I really wouldn't want to be a gm stuck with the decision of having to take Maybin or Orakpo at 10 if Crabtree wasn't there. Moreno wasn't really an option. Perhaps Oher but a lot of teams were really scared to take him. I'm not sure if the Niners were one of them or not. There didn't seem to be a trade partner to fill the dance card so to me it would be between Crabtree and Jenkins. What other options did we have really? Even Jenkins is starting to get into that uncomfortable reach area at 10 in this draft.

Sometimes, you just have to do the best you can with whaqt's out there and hope for something to go your way. In this case it Marvel's back holding up. It could be argued that we could have gotten a RT in the 4th if we hadn't given that up in the Carolina trade which looks to be a bit of overpayment.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:04 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabscuttle View Post
Not a Buckeyes fan at all. I think Boone can become a solid RT and bring some nastiness to the table. I don't see him ever moving over to LT but his limitations are minimized on the right.

I really wouldn't want to be a gm stuck with the decision of having to take Maybin or Orakpo at 10 if Crabtree wasn't there. Moreno wasn't really an option. Perhaps Oher but a lot of teams were really scared to take him. I'm not sure if the Niners were one of them or not. There didn't seem to be a trade partner to fill the dance card so to me it would be between Crabtree and Jenkins. What other options did we have really? Even Jenkins is starting to get into that uncomfortable reach area at 10 in this draft.

Sometimes, you just have to do the best you can with whaqt's out there and hope for something to go your way. In this case it Marvel's back holding up. It could be argued that we could have gotten a RT in the 4th if we hadn't given that up in the Carolina trade which looks to be a bit of overpayment.
We have two first rounders from it. I'd say we're sitting pretty with this upcoming tackle class being so strong. Take your pick: Okung, Black, Williams, Young, Capers, Brown, Beadles, Bulaga, and Davis. Tackle should be addressed with one of these guys.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:36 PM    (permalink
goonie61
Rookie

goonie61 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
We have two first rounders from it. I'd say we're sitting pretty with this upcoming tackle class being so strong. Take your pick: Okung, Black, Williams, Young, Capers, Brown, Beadles, Bulaga, and Davis. Tackle should be addressed with one of these guys.
There are a bunch of guys we could go after next year- Mays, Berry, T Cody, C McCoy, Sam Bradford, OT (above), or maybe even Selvie or Kindle.
Its going to be hard to choose
Old 08-09-2009, 09:37 PM    (permalink
Rabscuttle
Veteran

Quote:
You're right that tackle sounds like it will be a strength in this draft. (I have to go with the concensus since I don't really do a lot of study beyond a current draft year and will start to watch prospects this fall) Giving up the 4th in the deal was just a bit much was all I was saying and could have perhaps been used for a RT this year. Not a big deal if Boone works out or the PBA next year happens to be a RT with one of our 1sts or our 2nd next year.

I don't think we really know what we have with this team and won't until a good chunk of the season is over. We will see what Manusky and Raye do with this team now that Nolan is out of the way. Possible areas of need that could line up with our first rounders are QB, NT, CB and OLB. I would really hate to spend a first on a RT if those were equal areas of need.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:43 PM    (permalink
Rabscuttle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonie61 View Post
There are a bunch of guys we could go after next year- Mays, Berry, T Cody, C McCoy, Sam Bradford, OT (above), or maybe even Selvie or Kindle.
Even if Goldson turns out to be a solid FS would you be able to turn down Berry or Mays if either was the PBA on the board? Would you take Mays and make him a SS to repace Lewis?

Two first rounders in next years draft does look like a nice thing, especially if Carolina can somehow finish middle of the pack or slightly worse.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:14 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am rooting for an injury plagued Carolina year.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:40 PM    (permalink
Rabscuttle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I am rooting for an injury plagued Carolina year.
I'm just hoping it's not number one overall bad. I don't like the qb's that look to go there with Sanchez being gone already. I'm hoping a lights out pass rusher lines up with a slot of ours. Maybe Selvie bounces back...
Old 08-09-2009, 10:43 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We're in such a good spot. Carolina has a brutal schedule. I'm going to assume they miss out on the playoffs and pick mid-round. If we have a bad season, we'll have 3 picks in the top 40. If we have a good year, then we have 3 picks in the top 50-55.

That should go a long way to plugging whatever holes are remaining next year.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:44 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
We're in such a good spot. Carolina has a brutal schedule. I'm going to assume they miss out on the playoffs and pick mid-round. If we have a bad season, we'll have 3 picks in the top 40. If we have a good year, then we have 3 picks in the top 50-55.

That should go a long way to plugging whatever holes are remaining next year.
Hopefully few :)
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:59 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB
No I'm not one of the those people that says college numbers aren't worth a damn. How the hell do you think this thing works? Draft picks get signed because we think they're good. Every single draft pick is unproven, every one of them but we still draft them so what's your logic like? I didn't start hearing about this diva business till we drafted him. I didn't mind it because hey, this is Mike Singletary's team.
Draft picks arent proven which is why there should be a rookie scale. If Crabtree someway somehow gets top 5-7 money, any chance of seeing a rookie scale isnt going to happen because the PA will be against it. I read about Crabtree being a diva before the draft when he visited the Browns which is why they didnt draft him and decided to just keep Edwards.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:05 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonie61 View Post
I'm going to say that the one single area in 2009/2010 that will decide our 2010 draft more then any other and that is the play of the offensive line.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:14 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
Draft picks arent proven which is why there should be a rookie scale. If Crabtree someway somehow gets top 5-7 money, any chance of seeing a rookie scale isnt going to happen because the PA will be against it. I read about Crabtree being a diva before the draft when he visited the Browns which is why they didnt draft him and decided to just keep Edwards.
But the Browns have the luxury of having Braylon Edwards whereas our best receiver is going on his umpteenth season in the league.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:28 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB
But the Browns have the luxury of having Braylon Edwards whereas our best receiver is going on his umpteenth season in the league.
True but if Crabtree doesnt sign soon and holds out for a long period of time, its only going to take him longer to get on the field and make an impact and if that happens, he may never bounce back. Just look at Brady Quinn. Crabtree is looking more and more like the next Rashaun Woods and thats obviously not a good thing.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:26 PM    (permalink
BandwagonPunditry
Rookie

BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BandwagonPunditry is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
True but if Crabtree doesnt sign soon and holds out for a long period of time, its only going to take him longer to get on the field and make an impact and if that happens, he may never bounce back. Just look at Brady Quinn. Crabtree is looking more and more like the next Rashaun Woods and thats obviously not a good thing.
Or...he could be fine. It's lame and he's acting like a jackass but seriously, you're just depressing.

-------

Personally this article got me thinking: surely the ideal solution here is an incentive loaded contract. Guaranteed money screams "I'm going to cash in before I bust." What the FO needs to do is play on his confidence and offer him big escalators. Left with a choice between his pride and his guaranteed money my gut says he'll want to do the right thing. (In my opinion rookies all need to be paid according to results and escalators)

If it ends up like that then...Worst case scenario: Crabs breaks out for several huge seasons and we end up paying lots of money for lots of plays.
BandwagonPunditry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:10 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
One thing about Rashaun is that he signed right away. Like he knew he sucked he just wanted the money lol

Old 08-12-2009, 11:49 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just saw on ESPN that he's going to sign in September or something? Whatfuckingever, he probably wont show up until like a week before the season starts and think he'll be good enough to beat out Josh Morgan.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:23 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I just saw on ESPN that he's going to sign in September or something? Whatfuckingever, he probably wont show up until like a week before the season starts and think he'll be good enough to beat out Josh Morgan.
With that said, we just gotta keep rolling forward. Michael Crabtree embodies everything that is wrong with NFL Football.

I for one was not a fan of the rookie pay scale. But, now I see that we desperately need one.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:28 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

I still have the excitement for what he can bring to the team, but I think most of us thought he wouldn't be making huge contributions from Day 1; so while him not showing up is upsetting, I just don't feel like we are missing out too much.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:32 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I still have the excitement for what he can bring to the team, but I think most of us thought he wouldn't be making huge contributions from Day 1; so while him not showing up is upsetting, I just don't feel like we are missing out too much.
Yeah, I read in some article (I'll try and find it) that we should look at Crabtree as someone who just isn't there. We have a very talented WR corps and Crabtree just makes it sexy, so we'll be fine looking pretty.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:34 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Playing the "devil's advocate" here, what if he shows up with a week or so left until the season and is good enough to beat out Morgan? You have to know he has a copy of the playbook and is working out on his own in some capacity.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote