Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 08-20-2009, 12:52 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not even looking that far ahead right now. It's all about Tampa. And for real, we better win that game. Antonio Bryant is going to miss the entire preseason and may be a no go for week 1, Tanard Jackson will be suspended for that game, and they have some big time QB issues, regardless of who gets the nod. There is no reason we shouldnt walk all over that team.

Not to mention that they have an entirely new coaching staff and Talib just got arrested so a suspension may be looming as well.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:55 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
I'm not even looking that far ahead right now. It's all about Tampa. And for real, we better win that game. Antonio Bryant is going to miss the entire preseason and may be a no go for week 1, Tanard Jackson will be suspended for that game, and they have some big time QB issues, regardless of who gets the nod. There is no reason we shouldnt walk all over that team.

Not to mention that they have an entirely new coaching staff and Talib just got arrested so a suspension may be looming as well.
I am really looking forward to seeing you guys play. I can't wait to see what you guys do with Jones. I know couple of potential plays we ran with Coach Garrett at his coaching clinic. I know you guys have it installed and looking forward to see it ran with Jones. It worked like a charm when we ran it with HS kids. With Jones it will be sick to see!
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:58 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
So I did a little research on something I mentioned a couple of days ago. It turns out that the Cowboys will face 10 new defensive coordinators this season. The first five games are against teams with new coordinators as a matter of fact. All of these coordinators aren't wet behind the ears. There's some good experience in these new coordinators like Capers, Meeks, Pendergrast, etc. But this has to help out Garrett, who many feel is the Achilles heel of the Dallas offense. This doesn't mean taht they'll have games against some easy defenses, but it gives an advantage that can be taken care of. While the players on these teams are getting used to the new defenses, pretty much all of the Cowboys have experience in the same offense for multiple seasons. Garrett should really be thinking about this.
I think this is a very valid point.

I think this is something that is being taken for granted in NY and Philly.

I think it will probably affect NY the least due to the talent level, but I still think there will be, at the very least, an adjustment. Spagnolou is a very good DC. Sheridan certainly has the pedigree, but I think we all agree, being a good DC or OC has an intangible element that you can't guage until he bullets start flying. I think Philly could really struggle at times because not only Johnson is gone, but Dawkins was very important to that defense. They've also lost their MLB and will start a 2nd year 7th rounder from S. Dakota.

I'm not saying they won't be good, but I do think there will be an adjustment; Philly's greater than NY.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:59 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does anyone else think Tashard Choice is the best option for us as the starting RB? I haven't seen anybody else mention it, but I've been thinking about it and at first I thought Felix should start. Then I stopped because I really like the way Felix came into games last season with fresh legs that gave him that energy for explosion. He's never been a starting RB since HS. He's great at making an impact every time he touches the ball. He's not one of those RBs that needs to warm up before finding a rhythm. He can come in and BAM, make something happen. As a starter, I'm not saying he wouldn't work, but I wouldn't want to change the mentality that he has coming into games. Not too mention, he gets too keep his legs for those all important kick returns.

MB3 is demolision man. He's great as our closer, but I don't like that closer title because I think that gives the impression that he's just a 4th quarter back. I love him on all of our short yardage situations (but it is good to mix it up with other backs to keep the defense guessing). Heck, I love him on every down.. not just short yardage situations. He's an awesome receiver, blocker and runner... But the idea remains, we preserve his body for times when we need to unleash the beast. I used to think he was tough enough to battle through injuries, but last season wiped those thoughts away. He's very cautious about playing with injury and won't risk it. With the style of play he has, I think it's best to use him situationally. There wasn't a time I loved him more than in 2007 when he and Julius were splitting time and he finished the year with 13 TDs. I want to get him back into that role where staying fresh and aggressive and 13-15 TDs isn't out of the question.

So that leaves me to think that Tashard Choice is our best option to be our starting RB. The guy is inspirational. What better way to start games than by giving him the rock? He's a fighter. He hits the hole hard, has great balance and deceptive speed. Loved what he did against Pittsburgh.

Tashard is the best "Choice" for starting RB. Who's with me?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:03 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am not with you. Simply put, he's not as good as the other two. I honestly have no idea how many touches he's looking at but, the other two are superior backs and deserve more carries.

Personally, I'd love to see us go the Titans route. Start the speed back and change it up w/ the power. I dont like all the talk about how that would make Felix less dangerous...nothing is going to stop the guy. See Chris Johnson or Brian Westbrook out there.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-20-2009, 02:27 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Does anyone else think Tashard Choice is the best option for us as the starting RB? I haven't seen anybody else mention it, but I've been thinking about it and at first I thought Felix should start. Then I stopped because I really like the way Felix came into games last season with fresh legs that gave him that energy for explosion. He's never been a starting RB since HS. He's great at making an impact every time he touches the ball. He's not one of those RBs that needs to warm up before finding a rhythm. He can come in and BAM, make something happen. As a starter, I'm not saying he wouldn't work, but I wouldn't want to change the mentality that he has coming into games. Not too mention, he gets too keep his legs for those all important kick returns.

MB3 is demolision man. He's great as our closer, but I don't like that closer title because I think that gives the impression that he's just a 4th quarter back. I love him on all of our short yardage situations (but it is good to mix it up with other backs to keep the defense guessing). Heck, I love him on every down.. not just short yardage situations. He's an awesome receiver, blocker and runner... But the idea remains, we preserve his body for times when we need to unleash the beast. I used to think he was tough enough to battle through injuries, but last season wiped those thoughts away. He's very cautious about playing with injury and won't risk it. With the style of play he has, I think it's best to use him situationally. There wasn't a time I loved him more than in 2007 when he and Julius were splitting time and he finished the year with 13 TDs. I want to get him back into that role where staying fresh and aggressive and 13-15 TDs isn't out of the question.

So that leaves me to think that Tashard Choice is our best option to be our starting RB. The guy is inspirational. What better way to start games than by giving him the rock? He's a fighter. He hits the hole hard, has great balance and deceptive speed. Loved what he did against Pittsburgh.

Tashard is the best "Choice" for starting RB. Who's with me?
I'm kinda with MOTH. I love Tashard, but MBIII and Felix are just better RBs. I think they will try to use Tashard to give those guys 2-3 series off in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, but there's just not enough balls to go around, especially when you think about how much more the TEs are going to be used this year.

Don't take that as not liking TC. I do very much. In fact, the real thing to look at is that MBIII and Felix are probably not both going to go through the season fully healthy. I'm sure there will be more than a few games that he gets a decent amount of carries.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 08-20-2009, 02:29 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I am not with you. Simply put, he's not as good as the other two. I honestly have no idea how many touches he's looking at but, the other two are superior backs and deserve more carries.

Personally, I'd love to see us go the Titans route. Start the speed back and change it up w/ the power. I dont like all the talk about how that would make Felix less dangerous...nothing is going to stop the guy. See Chris Johnson or Brian Westbrook out there.
I don't think that's completely accurate... that "simply put, he's not as good". Barber and Jones are great, don't get me wrong. But they are great(er) as situational backs. We tried Barber as our full time back last year and he broke down. ...and Jones...

While I love the mighty chest bumpin' Felix Jones bravado, I have a hard time believing that he's going to have a highlight reel run everytime he touches the ball (especially if you increase his touches). Maybe you're right... that he's the energizer bunny that can't be stopped. I say... don't try to fix what's not broke. The way he was used last year was ideal. Sure, give him more touches, but the idea of him starting doesn't sit well for me at this point. Maybe it will one day if he can prove that he won't lose anything on ST kick returns and big plays in the running game.

So Tashard, while not as talented as the other two (I admit that), he allows the other two to perform at their best. ...and let's not kid ourselves about him either. He's a legit workhorse and he won't be here past his rookie contract, as he'll get much more on the open market.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:35 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think using Choice situationally would be better than starting him. It's not a dumb idea, and it could pay dividends, but I'm more of a fan of Barber starting and finishing. Barber is a great closer, no disputing that, but I would love for him to get some steam built up first. I think he should be used to give the defense something to think about, and to bang them up so they will get winded chasing Felix. I love Tashard playing 2-3 series a game to keep both Barber and Felix fresh. He's capable enough to play a major role, and I think he could pay some serious dividends by getting some good carries every game. 5-8 carries per game for Choice seems good to me, but I'd rather those carries come in between the start and finish.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:35 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I'm kinda with MOTH. I love Tashard, but MBIII and Felix are just better RBs. I think they will try to use Tashard to give those guys 2-3 series off in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, but there's just not enough balls to go around, especially when you think about how much more the TEs are going to be used this year.

Don't take that as not liking TC. I do very much. In fact, the real thing to look at is that MBIII and Felix are probably not both going to go through the season fully healthy. I'm sure there will be more than a few games that he gets a decent amount of carries.
I'm not following you. Is that the current plan to give TC the ball 2-3 series in the 2nd and 3rd quarters to give the other guys time off?

Also, with our 2 TE set offense, I think that only opens things up more for our running game.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:37 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
I don't think that's completely accurate... that "simply put, he's not as good". Barber and Jones are great, don't get me wrong. But they are great(er) as situational backs. We tried Barber as our full time back last year and he broke down. ...and Jones...

While I love the mighty chest bumpin' Felix Jones bravado, I have a hard time believing that he's going to have a highlight reel run everytime he touches the ball (especially if you increase his touches). Maybe you're right... that he's the energizer bunny that can't be stopped. I say... don't try to fix what's not broke. The way he was used last year was ideal. Sure, give him more touches, but the idea of him starting doesn't sit well for me at this point. Maybe it will one day if he can prove that he won't lose anything on ST kick returns and big plays in the running game.

So Tashard, while not as talented as the other two (I admit that), he allows the other two to perform at their best. ...and let's not kid ourselves about him either. He's a legit workhorse and he won't be here past his rookie contract, as he'll get much more on the open market.
meh. Dont fix what's not broke? We could be wasting a pro bowl caliber back, in Felix Jones. Last year's situation was not ideal, he was grossly under used, he should have been much more of a factor in the regular offense. Chris Johnson is doing just fine starting for the Titans and I still say Felix is the superior talent and he has the better build to carry the load among the two anyway. I def. think Felix is going to be dangerous, regardless of what kind of role you put him in. I think the world of the guy, if he was to start, I think he can be one of the league's best. For sure. He can do it all. I also wouldnt call Barber and Jones just situational guys. They're actually both very complete backs. Inside/outside/receiving, factor in Barber's blocking.

As was said, there isnt enough balls to go around and the ball should be going to your best players. You cant realistically split up the carries equally between three backs...especially on a team that will pass a lot still. Choice is going to be the odd man out, as long as the other two are healthy. He'll get in there but, I dont see how we can get him that many touches.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-20-2009, 02:37 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

a 3 headed RB backfield doesn't work. You typically use 2 guys exclusively until 1 gets hurt.

Thats what the Giants did last year. Bradshaw was the odd man out (against my personal wishes). Theres just not enough touches to go around for 3 running backs in one game.

Tashard is just great depth until somebody gets hurt. Thats the realistic way to look at it.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:40 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
I think using Choice situationally would be better than starting him. It's not a dumb idea, and it could pay dividends, but I'm more of a fan of Barber starting and finishing. Barber is a great closer, no disputing that, but I would love for him to get some steam built up first. I think he should be used to give the defense something to think about, and to bang them up so they will get winded chasing Felix. I love Tashard playing 2-3 series a game to keep both Barber and Felix fresh. He's capable enough to play a major role, and I think he could pay some serious dividends by getting some good carries every game. 5-8 carries per game for Choice seems good to me, but I'd rather those carries come in between the start and finish.
Barber has never needed extra reps to build up steam. Not in college (where he split time with Maroney) and not in the NFL. Having him start I guess doesn't hurt... I love the guys so much, but preserving him is the key. He doesn't need dummy reps like Julius Jones asked for.

I understand the suggestion is unconventional and probably too bold for a Yes man HC like Wade to do, but I like my logic. ;)
Old 08-20-2009, 03:03 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
meh. Dont fix what's not broke? We could be wasting a pro bowl caliber back, in Felix Jones. Last year's situation was not ideal, he was grossly under used, he should have been much more of a factor in the regular offense. Chris Johnson is doing just fine starting for the Titans and I still say Felix is the superior talent and he has the better build to carry the load among the two anyway. I def. think Felix is going to be dangerous, regardless of what kind of role you put him in. I think the world of the guy, if he was to start, I think he can be one of the league's best. For sure. He can do it all. I also wouldnt call Barber and Jones just situational guys. They're actually both very complete backs. Inside/outside/receiving, factor in Barber's blocking.

As was said, there isnt enough balls to go around and the ball should be going to your best players. You cant realistically split up the carries equally between three backs...especially on a team that will pass a lot still. Choice is going to be the odd man out, as long as the other two are healthy. He'll get in there but, I dont see how we can get him that many touches.
Glad I came up with this discussion. I can sense some heat and passion in here! :D

Did you miss the part where I said Felix should get more touches? Sometimes, I think you pick out parts you want to emphasize and ignore the complete picture of what I'm saying.

Maybe it's me not being clear enough? Maybe the definition of a starting RB has a different meaning? Maybe you think I'm saying TC needs to be playing all 4 quarters since he's the starting RB. That's not what I meant to say. I meant that the idea of him being the one to start the game could pay off as it might allow Barber to be fresher towards the end of the game or in power situations as well as help to keep him durable throughout the season. TC doesn't even have to play a single down in the second half for all I care. I just was thinking he would start things off for us with Felix... and Barber would get more and more touches as the game progressed.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:04 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
a 3 headed RB backfield doesn't work. You typically use 2 guys exclusively until 1 gets hurt.

Thats what the Giants did last year. Bradshaw was the odd man out (against my personal wishes). Theres just not enough touches to go around for 3 running backs in one game.

Tashard is just great depth until somebody gets hurt. Thats the realistic way to look at it.
Appreciate the input! I think that's a better way to counter my idea than what MOTH said.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:14 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Glad I came up with this discussion. I can sense some heat and passion in here! :D

Did you miss the part where I said Felix should get more touches? Sometimes, I think you pick out parts you want to emphasize and ignore the complete picture of what I'm saying.

Maybe it's me not being clear enough? Maybe the definition of a starting RB has a different meaning? Maybe you think I'm saying TC needs to be playing all 4 quarters since he's the starting RB. That's not what I meant to say. I meant that the idea of him being the one to start the game could pay off as it might allow Barber to be fresher towards the end of the game or in power situations as well as help to keep him durable throughout the season. TC doesn't even have to play a single down in the second half for all I care. I just was thinking he would start things off for us with Felix... and Barber would get more and more touches as the game progressed.
You said it was ideal...it was far from it. I read your entire response. Normally you're the one who likes to omit or unintentionally miss things from my posts. Just saying.

As for this starting thing. I remember someone else in here came up with this idea a long time ago. But really, it would be pointless. And you dont see any back start a game and than pretty much vanish for the rest of the game. Barber isnt helpless, starting Choice wouldnt have much of an effect. Splitting carries with Felix alone, is keeping Barber fresh. It's very difficult to get three backs involved with some consistency. I know you're trying to get Choice on the field but, it's going to be tough sometimes and the idea of starting him is just completely out there. There really isnt any chance of it happening. And again, what other team does such a thing? It really doesn't have much of a point to it. You could achieve the same effect of "saving" Barber by bringing in Felix or Tashard at any time in the game.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 08-20-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:15 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Appreciate the input! I think that's a better way to counter my idea than what MOTH said.
What did he say that was any different than what I said?

edit...unless you're talking about my first post w/ Felix starting.

That isnt going to happen yet either but, there is a much better chance of that happening than Choice starting in front of Barber and Jones. But he reiterated what I was saying before, it's going to be tough to get Choice on the field, regardless.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 08-20-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:23 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
You said it was ideal...it was far from it. I read your entire response. Normally you're the one who likes to omit or unintentionally miss things from my posts. Just saying.

As for this starting thing. I remember someone else in here came up with this idea a long time ago. But really, it would be pointless. And you dont see any back start a game and than pretty much vanish for the rest of the game. Barber isnt helpless, starting Choice wouldnt have much of an effect. Splitting carries with Felix alone, is keeping Barber fresh. It's very difficult to get three backs involved with some consistency. I know you're trying to get Choice on the field but, it's going to be tough sometimes and the idea of starting him is just completely out there. There really isnt any chance of it happening. And again, what other team does such a thing? It really does have much of a point to it. You could achieve the same effect of "saving" Barber by bringing in Felix or Tashard at any time in the game.
I can agree with that.

Just chalk it up as another fly off the moment off the wall ideas by me. But if I see Felix losing his effectiveness... and Barber is sitting on the sidelines nursing a sore toe, I'm coming back to this idea. ;) ...which I never heard anyone bring this up here before... Now, Felix being talked about as the starting RB is everywhere, but not TC.

Oh and if you think I usually omit things you say, call me out on it. Don't hold it in.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:27 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
I can agree with that.

Just chalk it up as another fly off the moment off the wall ideas by me. But if I see Felix losing his effectiveness... and Barber is sitting on the sidelines nursing a sore toe, I'm coming back to this idea. ;) ...which I never heard anyone bring this up here before... Now, Felix being talked about as the starting RB is everywhere, but not TC.

Oh and if you think I usually omit things you say, call me out on it. Don't hold it in.
You are my boy D, I dont want to start anything. lolz.

But yeah, I do distinctly remember some poster, I dont think a regular, I'm not too sure. Bring this very same idea up. So atleast you're not alone. :D

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-20-2009, 03:27 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
What did he say that was any different than what I said?

edit...unless you're talking about my first post w/ Felix starting.

That isnt going to happen yet either but, there is a much better chance of that happening than Choice starting in front of Barber and Jones. But he reiterated what I was saying before, it's going to be tough to get Choice on the field.
Yeah, that's what I meant. He was saying the 3 back system doesn't work. You were saying TC is just not good enough for it.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I'm not following you. Is that the current plan to give TC the ball 2-3 series in the 2nd and 3rd quarters to give the other guys time off?
I believe that's what I read on probably the DMN blog.

Quote:
Also, with our 2 TE set offense, I think that only opens things up more for our running game.
Sure, no doubt.

I guess here's more what I was getting at....If we assume about 60 offensive snaps a game (I think the NFL avg is 63), let's break it down a bit.

Most of what I have read breaks it down like this:

MBIII - 15-20 carries per game
Felix - 8-12 touches
RW - 6-12 attempts
Crayton - 4-7 looks
Witten - 6-9 looks
Tellus - 2-5 looks

Depending on how you dole those out, you're looking at just a handful more touches. I just don't see how we can get TC more than 3-5 touches a game.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 08-20-2009, 07:56 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I believe that's what I read on probably the DMN blog.

Sure, no doubt.

I guess here's more what I was getting at....If we assume about 60 offensive snaps a game (I think the NFL avg is 63), let's break it down a bit.

Most of what I have read breaks it down like this:

MBIII - 15-20 carries per game
Felix - 8-12 touches
RW - 6-12 attempts
Crayton - 4-7 looks
Witten - 6-9 looks
Tellus - 2-5 looks

Depending on how you dole those out, you're looking at just a handful more touches. I just don't see how we can get TC more than 3-5 touches a game.
And lets not forget passes that will go to Miles and/or Hurd.

Our offense does have to many weapons for one ball. They might not put up great "fantasy" numbers, but with all of there contributions added together we could be special.

Who says you need a 1500 yard RB, 1500 yard WR, 1000 yard TE with 10+ TD's each? Stat's don't win games.

Our balanced offense should be tremendous. To many weapons to stop.

oh and P.S.- I know people don't like 40 times, but barber isn't slow. Him and felix both ran a 4.45, for what its worth. Now there quickness and explosion isn't close, but Barber can move. He was also an allstate sprinter in high school. He isn't slow.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:59 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

lol. Look at this guy, they say Miles is a bit of a party boy, a big club guy. haha. These were from his birthday party, though a couple months ago. Miles likes to have a good time.

Courtney Brown! lol.

http://www.dmagazine.com/~/media/0_G...hx?w=600&h=484

I'm very jealous of Miles in that third pic. God damn.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 08-20-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:27 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the best approach to utilize our RB depth would be to go about it the way the Patriots and Ravens have been doing. You look at the team you're playing in a given week, and you look at the weaknesses you wish to exploit. Choosing which RB's get which carries should be a part of that. No need to pigeonhole everybody into a rigid role.

I mean, the Ravens ran all those fullback bellies because it made their offense better at times. They didn't seem to care who the "better" or "starter" back was.

So, Felix may start one week, Tashard the next. Maybe Barber has the most carries in both games. The only consideration should be the task at hand. Clearly define each player's strongest and weakest points- especially as they relate to each other, and then just match it up to your game plan that week. Do the same as your game plan evolves during the game. The amount of carries each guy gets should not be predetermined. That number should have a life of it's own.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:40 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
I think the best approach to utilize our RB depth would be to go about it the way the Patriots and Ravens have been doing. You look at the team you're playing in a given week, and you look at the weaknesses you wish to exploit. Choosing which RB's get which carries should be a part of that. No need to pigeonhole everybody into a rigid role.

I mean, the Ravens ran all those fullback bellies because it made their offense better at times. They didn't seem to care who the "better" or "starter" back was.

So, Felix may start one week, Tashard the next. Maybe Barber has the most carries in both games. The only consideration should be the task at hand. Clearly define each player's strongest and weakest points- especially as they relate to each other, and then just match it up to your game plan that week. Do the same as your game plan evolves during the game. The amount of carries each guy gets should not be predetermined. That number should have a life of it's own.
I like that idea. ...and come to think of it, the Giants' Earth, Wind and Fire combo was pretty deadly as well. Not sure why BBD said the 3 RB system doesn't work. Witnessing that from afar, impressed me.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:55 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
lol. Look at this guy, they say Miles is a bit of a party boy, a big club guy. haha. These were from his birthday party, though a couple months ago. Miles likes to have a good time.

Courtney Brown! lol.

http://www.dmagazine.com/~/media/0_G...hx?w=600&h=484

I'm very jealous of Miles in that third pic. God damn.
I would have a good time with those girls, too!!!!! BTW, was that Lance Bass in the last picture???? Hmmmmmm.

I have been busy lately, and have not been able to post. My wife was diagnosed with Lymphoma. I have been busy with that, so I have not been able to post here. I have really missed the discussions.

I had surgery on Wednesday, and still dont feel good. A friend from work called today and told me that he had an extra ticket to the 2nd preseason game (Tennesseee). I am not sure if I will be able to go. I want to go real bad but if I don't feel up to it, would any of you want to go in my place???? If so, just send me a private message. I have no idea how good the seat would be. I assume it will not be a great seat, but you never know. And it might be a single seat, so you might be sitting by yourself.

I intend on going, but I am not sure how I will feel when I wake up. I am still on a lot of medication. Once I wake up, I will ask him where it is.

And on the starting running back statement, Barber would be my starter. Felix is my change of pace guy. Tashard is a wonderful backup, but I would not start him, either.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote