Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 02-28-2007, 12:56 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.
Default Post-combine, FA mock offseason

Departures:

Kerney (FA)
Griffith (FA)
Gandy (CUT)
Beverly (CUT)
Schaub (Trade - some complicated scenario, eg. Texans trading down, but we get #20 overall value)

Arrivals in Free Agency:

ERIC STEINBACH - $6 mill per year, but only $2 mill net increase with Gandy cut.

Rationale: He will play LT in 2007; at the worst, he will be very solid, and a considerable improvement over Gandy; we draft a potential LT, who could play LG in 2008, a much easier position for a rookie; then, in 2008, either they would stay the same if it worked, or swap positions if it didn't. Either way, the left side is fixed.

KELLEY WASHINGTON - $1.5 mill per year

Rationale: Yup, another Bengal. He is exactly what we need - a little reliability at the WR position, but without the huge pricetag. Petrino needs numerous WRs; that gives us White, Jenkins, Finn, Washington and Jennings, plus maybe a project in the draft.

TYRONE CARTER - $1.5 mill per year

Rationale: Would be very solid FS backup, and if the rookie we draft in the 1st or 2nd round does not prove fit to start, he could even start for a few games without causing problems.

There'd be other hole-fillers - including a veteran QB - but those are the main guys. I doubt that we have more than one impact signing and a couple of low cost guys.

Arrivals in the Draft: (emphasis is on flexibility)

#10: LARON LANDRY, if he is there. If not, Adam Carriker.

#20 (from Schaub): If we get Landry at 10, CHARLES JOHNSON. If we get Carriker, either Nelson, Griffin, or even Merriweather if the falcon filter allows.

#36 (trading up from #44 by using our own 4th rounder): TONY UGOH (he has all the physical attributes, but i wouldn't trust him at LT right away. however, he could play LG as a starter, and then swap with Steinbach if proven worthy). Joe Staley would be an option too, but might be a bit light to play OG.

#75: MICHAEL BUSH (if he can't run properly before the combine, he'll definitely be here) or Tony Hunt.

Denver's 4th rounder: MIKE WALKER (Central Florida WR) - my favourite small school WR at the moment, though Jacoby Jones could also be an option. Either way, it's worth a gamble on a mid round WR for Jackson to develop.

4th round compensation: C.J GADDIS (Clemson CB) - Falcons reported to have spoken to him, perfect example of mid-round guy with tons of potential who will have the chance to develop into an excellent nickel.

5th round: JACOB FORD (Central Ark DE) - The situational pass-rushing depth that we need, to add a threat if (when?) Abraham goes down. Could emerge as a solid threat. This year's Mark Anderson.

6th round: KURT QUARTERMAN (OG) - another Cardinal. He knows Petrino's system, he's a big guy, he could backup and eventually (I'm looking four years down the line...) replace Forney.

7th round compensation: QUINTIN ECHOLS (Kansas St NT) - Huge guy, small school, worth giving him a shot to compete with TJ to backup Grady.

All problem areas are solved.

LT: Steinbach plays this year, and should be very solid. Ugoh may replace him in 2008, depending on performance, and Steinbach would move back inside.

LG: Ugoh competes with the usual suspects, but should win. His athleticism is great for a guard, and he is also very strong (33 reps). In 2008, Steinbach and he will play whichever role works best. Either way, our left side is sorted. Quarterman is one for the future.

DE: Charles Johnson can play straight away, is very solid all round, and should develop into a real star. Ford adds a pass-rush threat.

FS: Two words. Laron Landry. (okay, a few more: Ty Carter backs up FS, Crocker backs up SS.)

WR: Washington adds a reliable veteran, and Walker adds a potential future gem. WR could even be a strength.

CB: Jimmy stays at CB, Webster is nickel, Gaddis is dime and develops into excellent nickel.

RB: Michael Bush gets a quarter of the carries this year, easing back from injury, but in 2008 he and Norwood split them, and kick a$$.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, IT IS STRUCTURED TO ALLOW FLEXIBILITY.

Thoughts?
Old 02-28-2007, 12:59 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

I have thought long and hard about the LT situation, and I think that is the perfect long-term solution.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:10 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It was good, which is why I +repped you.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:31 PM    (permalink
flrybranch
Rookie

flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.

One of the better off season plans I have looked at.

Well thought out and could very well happen.
flrybranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:46 PM    (permalink
Tweety

What if the Vikings trade OT Bryant McKinnie and a 2nd for Schuab?
Old 02-28-2007, 06:24 PM    (permalink
Dave
Pro Bowler

Dave hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety View Post
Bryant McKinnie is quite old and I wouldn't feel comfortable with the Falcons picking him up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
Brady is 'just' the Queen on Belichick's chess board.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:29 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Bryant McKinnie is quite old and I wouldn't feel comfortable with the Falcons picking him up.
27 is quite old?

Old 02-28-2007, 06:36 PM    (permalink
Dave
Pro Bowler

Dave hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
27 is quite old?
Suppose I mixxed him up with another McKinney. If he isn't the old one, he's the overpaid one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
Brady is 'just' the Queen on Belichick's chess board.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:39 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Bingo.. ha ha

Old 02-28-2007, 08:11 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I had one of these going, but I had no idea on what to do with Shaub so I just quit. But it seems like you are not lazy like I am. Good work.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:39 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety View Post
That would be amazing, but it's not going to happen. Why would they trade a good, and potentially elite, LT, plus a 2nd?

McKinnie himself has easy 1st round value - and I doubt he's going anywhere.

That said, if that happened I would be thrilled.
Old 03-01-2007, 02:02 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

I'd take straight up.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:07 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'd LOVE to get a LT, even if it's straight for Schaub and we get nothing else back, if we can get someone to anchor our LT spot, PLUS pickup Steinbach...we'd have a FIERCE offensive line. That'd be the way to get it done.

If we could lure St. Louis into giving up Alex Barron, that'd be pretty incredible. But that's just a Madden dream lol.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:54 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Any chance Rich McKay takes a flier on two of 'his guys,' Kenyetta Walker and Mike Williams? This team certainly needs depth at those two positions, and a change of scenery could shake things up for them.