Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 02-28-2007, 08:54 AM    (permalink
falconsrule
Rookie

falconsrule hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Drafting for the D-Line

Drafting for the D-Line
By Steve Wyche | Monday, February 26, 2007, 04:23 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

With defensive end Patrick Kerney set to test free agency and leave town with his eight-year Falcons’ career in the rear-view mirror, it would seem hard for Atlanta not to use its first-round draft pick — 10th overall — on a defensive lineman.

Most mock drafts have the Falcons taking LSU safety LaRon Landry, but the one knock on Landry is his deep coverage skills. If that is accurate, that sounds pretty much like the same makeup of current free safety Chris Crocker.

Drafting a defensive end seems like something the Falcons would do regardless, although with Kerney on board, taking one in the first round would not have been a priority. John Abraham’s injury history suggests that having a potential stud in the wings would be a pretty good idea.

Though safety is a need, it might not be as great of a need as defensive line, offensive line and wide receiver. Then again, the old “best player available” analogy might come into play and Landry or Florida’s Reggie Nelson be the guy selected first.

I also have to add this, Georgia Tech’s Calvin Johnson running a 4.35 in borrowed shoes is pretty unbelievable. If they can pull it off, I would think the Falcons would try pretty hard to move into the top three to nab the standout wide receiver.
falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:43 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

ah, that's where you got the idea. it's also coming from the reggie lovers on AFMB. wyche is often a good source of info, but here he acknowledges that he is just going off rumour. incorrect MB rumour.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:39 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I really want Calvin more than any other player, but I am sold that LaRon can help this team win from day 1 too though. I think he could be a Defensive RoY if he comes to Atlanta. I know LBs normally get it, but he would be put in a great position to make plays. With Jimmy and Deangelo locked up in man with him in a cover 1 and Milloy in the Box...that'd be pretty sick really. But Calvin is just insane.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:41 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The sooner you forget about Calvin Johnson, the more you won't be disappointed on draft day.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:49 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I won't be disappointed if he don't get him, but he's still the ideal
Old 02-28-2007, 01:30 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am not sure there is a DE worthy of the ten pick. Adams will be gone. Carriker might be viewed as just a 3-4 DE, 4-3 DT, by the team. Anderson's stock is slipping, he was overrated to begin with. Charles Johnson didn't have an amazing combine, like expected.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:41 PM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
I am not sure there is a DE worthy of the ten pick. Adams will be gone. Carriker might be viewed as just a 3-4 DE, 4-3 DT, by the team. Anderson's stock is slipping, he was overrated to begin with. Charles Johnson didn't have an amazing combine, like expected.
Which is why that #15 - #20 value for Schaub is looking so damnably appetising right now...
Old 02-28-2007, 01:53 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Even if we got a early 2nd, with a escalating '08 pick, there are plenty of good O/D-Lineman in the early second round. Victor Abiamiri, Tim Crowder, for example. On the O-Line, it would be awesome to add Justin Blaylock, or Ben Grubbs, to our O-Line.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:05 PM    (permalink
binary
Veteran

binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.binary is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really don't think Carriker would be a good pick for you guys at #10. I think using him as a 4-3 DE is underutilizing him, and he will probably be better as a DT. If you want a DT, why not go for Okoye? I think you guys still would go after Levi or Landry.
binary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:09 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

You're probably right. At first I liked it. Now I am not so sure. I think his value is very much an 'eye of the beholder' thing. That is based on scheme.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:13 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

I definitely would love Anderson at 10. But if we could get 2 firsts by getting rid of Schaub, and could get Landry AND Anderson, that'd be the most incredible thing ever...even better than getting Calvin really...as long as Calvin doesn't go to Tampa.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:24 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

I like Anderson, in event of a trade down. Or a mid-first from Schaub.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:30 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hahha.

LaRon is faster than Crocker.
LaRon hits harder than Crocker.
LaRon is average at deep ball coverage, Crocker is horrid.

All true statements.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:56 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

LaRon does not hit harder than Crocker. Crocker brings the pain.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:31 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
LaRon does not hit harder than Crocker. Crocker brings the pain.
Thats his reputation...I remember Witten catching a pass right in front of him and and Crocker going for the lick, but he got owned.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:52 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Dude, did you see what he did to Chad? Or what about in pre-season when he killed that dude from Green Bay? LaRon has NEVER hit anyone like that.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:31 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

I wish Crocker would be the SS. How much more does Lawyer Milloy REALLY have left?

Old 03-01-2007, 01:48 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

Quote:
I wish Crocker would be the SS. How much more does Lawyer Milloy REALLY have left?
Milloy was awesome last year, which kind of got lost in the general crapiness. He was about the only brightspot on D, other than Boley.

However, I suspect that he will gradually tail off this year... and Crocker will be ready to step in. I just hope that the coaching staff makes the switch when it is time, rather than just leaving the vet in for the sake of it. Oh, i forgot, Mora has left now...
Old 03-01-2007, 02:01 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Milloy was good last year, no doubt. That said; I am not counting on him repeating. It would be nice, but that would be a bit too much optimism for my part. He is a 34 year old, after all. I'm worried he may be exposed too much in Zimmer's blitz happy defense, if he is forced to cover on a island.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:05 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

I'm thinkin his physicality doesn't matter, he's so smart, he's physical enough to get it done because of how smart he is, I think he can go this year 100% but I think next year would be the year to let him go or whatever.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:52 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

According to the Sports Xchange, the team met with Brandon Meriweather. I hope he is cleared by the infamous "Falcon Filter." He would be an ideal FS.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:59 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
According to the Sports Xchange, the team met with Brandon Meriweather. I hope he is cleared by the infamous "Falcon Filter." He would be an ideal FS.
Sweet. I was really high on him during the senior bowl, but I still prefer Eric Weddle. Weddle is a more smart and instinctual player, I think. Not to mention he can play multiple positions easily (I think Merriweather can too...)

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:44 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

Eric Weddle woul hav my vote as well. I want some pure football players, and that's all Weddle is, in every aspect, he like breathes the game, and that's how the great ones are. Maybe not the best measureables, and he doesn't bring the pain from the FS spot, but he is a sure fire tackler, and great in coverage. He'd be a HUGE improvement over what Crocker was last year.

As far as SS goes, I really would like Aaron Rouse if he's there round 4. I could see him in Green Bay with their 2nd round pick though.