Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:17 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Side Question about the Chargers

I noticed the Chargers forum is not too active so I thought I'd ask a more open forum.

Does anybody know if Ron Rivera still runs the Phillips 3-4 defense or is it some other form?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:42 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I noticed the Chargers forum is not too active so I thought I'd ask a more open forum.

Does anybody know if Ron Rivera still runs the Phillips 3-4 defense or is it some other form?
From what I seen on Monday, they run a variation of both. At times the OLB will put his hand down thus forming a 4-3 look. But I also seen alot of 3 down 4 up type formations.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:12 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
From what I seen on Monday, they run a variation of both. At times the OLB will put his hand down thus forming a 4-3 look. But I also seen alot of 3 down 4 up type formations.
Unlike Parcells' and LeBeau's 2 gap 34 scheme, Phillips' 34 is a lot like the 4-3 in that it's a 1 gap penetrating scheme, except he subs a LB instead of a DL in the package. So that's probably what you noticed. I guess that answers it. Does anybody know if Ron Rivera has plans to change it to a more traditional 4-3 like what he had in Chicago? It just seems a little weird to me on how/why they chose him as their DC, yet kept the Phillips' 34. I mean, I'm not calling Rivera an idiot...and that he can't run it.... it's just usually guys coach what they've had the most experience and success running. Maybe I'm missing something? Did Rivera coach the 3-4 someplace credible?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:15 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Unlike Parcells' and LeBeau's 2 gap 34 scheme, Phillips' 34 is a lot like the 4-3 in that it's a 1 gap penetrating scheme, except he subs a LB instead of a DL in the package. So that's probably what you noticed. I guess that answers it. Does anybody know if Ron Rivera has plans to change it to a more traditional 4-3 like what he had in Chicago? It just seems a little weird to me on how/why they chose him as their DC, yet kept the Phillips' 34. I mean, I'm not calling Rivera an idiot...and that he can't run it.... it's just usually guys coach what they've had the most experience and success running. Maybe I'm missing something? Did Rivera coach the 3-4 someplace credible?
I think that year he spent as the Charger's LB coach gave him good experience in the 3-4.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:44 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's not really the same anymore. Ted Cottrell was Wade's replacement. Why? Because, he was very familiar with the scheme, working under Wade in Buffalo. Rivera, a cover two guy, went to the Chargers to learn the 34 under Cottrell, when he couldnt land a HC job. He was their LB coach until the firing. But anyway, last year they pretty much ran a less aggressive Phillips 34 copy. But this year I know he re-tooled everything to better suit his style better, but still in a 34. He's amped up the aggressiveness and added some of his own wrinkles to it, I'm not so sure on the specifics, though. So, while it may look like a Phillips 34 at the surface, it really isnt anymore. I wasnt paying good enough attention to the Oakland game to give you all the specifics. Something to keep an eye on this week

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:45 PM    (permalink
Xenos
Veteran

Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Probably because they don't have the pieces to run a 4-3 yet. Additionally, Rivera has a lot of experiences in different defenses from Jimmy Johnson's attacking 4-3 to the Tampa 2 of Lovie to the 3-4 of Wade and Cottrell. He's bringing his variation on all of those to SD.
Xenos is offline   Reply With Quote